DSC01828.JPG
DSC01805.JPG
DSC01795.JPG
DSC01786.JPG
DSC01858.JPG
DSC01675_zps27f4ab1b.jpg
DSC01552.jpg
#1 11 years ago

Well, I've been putting off posting this for long enough - guess it's time!

Inspired by my friend Wally who built his own MM.. here is (I believe) the first AFM built from parts. Wally helped me along the way with numerous questions, and I can't thank him enough! Also I have to thank the pinsiders, especially LTG, for answering my numerous questions.

This AFM started as an ebay'ed NBA fastbreak. Fastbreak is a perfect fit for an AFM conversion - almost better so than MM because a few more expensive parts are compatible. There were many parts I was able to salvage such as the cabinet, board set, much of the wiring was identical, Opto board and opto sensors, flipper hardware, sling hardware and pop bumper hardware, the list goes on. This machine was built without having a sample on hand. I had stumbled upon a few AFM teardown photo albums online which provided most of the information I needed.

There were a few parts of unobtanium in this project: Ball guides, 3-bank target bracket, lower arch ball guide, martian armatures and brackets, saucer cover, wire ramps, lamp boards. Lamp boards were an easy solution, the machine was wired to use Stern style lamp sockets and the boards were not neccessary. Ball guides were the biggest challenge - I was able to get a donor set converted into 2d and 3d cad drawings which were then cut from #8 mirror finish stainless steel sheet (water jet). Alien armatures, luckily I was able to find one and the rest were copied at an insanely high price from a local machine shop. I was able to create the saucer cover and martian brackets via 3d printing, without samples to work from. Wire ramps were crafted by a most talented wire bending artist (same guy Wally used for his MM project). For the apron I just re-used the NBA apron and it looks pretty slick - but it's definitely not original. For the three-target bank bracket I was able to modify a stern spider man bracket. Wooden side rails were also unavailable but these were easily made.

Many of the parts came from Marco specialties; they have an amazing selection. I wish they were willing to reproduce parts, they could be such an awesome resource. Many of the unique NOS parts came from PSPA - Mark is exceptionally good to work with. Thanks to Kerry Stair for providing many new parts which I bought all of. Also thanks to Cliffy for the awesome parts and service.

Some advice for those thinking of doing this sort of project..
Be warned that it's not going to save you a bunch of money, and it's going to be a ton of work. The wiring harness is the biggest time sink. Time-wise, I probably could have done this project in three months but there were unexpected delays. Also as people are building these machines, some of the NOS parts from vendors are selling out .. it's becoming more difficult.

I would entertain trades if anyone is looking for a beautiful AFM. I wont be ready for a few months (couple finishing touches) but I would consider trades of equal value. PM me if interested.

List of features:
* Refurbished, beautifully clearcoated playfield
* GLM flashing post lights wired into the saucer solenoid
* New PBL coin door
* New stainless steel side rails, lockdown bar. Lockdown receiver from Mantis Amusements.
* New black PBL legs, black bolts, nylon bolt/leg protectors, felt protectors, cab protectors, and pingulp
* Completely refinished cabinet
* Mirror blades
* NOS 3-bank motor, new bank plastics and pinbits slider kit
* Clear city scape backboard from PDI with flashing LED strip, tied into saucer solenoid.
* All new plastics and plastic protectors
* New oak side rails painted black lacquer
* NEW and one-of-a-kind mirror plated ball guides - cut from the same finish material as mirror blades
* New (not nos) saucer board
* Pinbits blackout kit (not installed yet in pics), Red DMD kit,
* New martians (not the springy old ones )
* New Red Ramps (decals have been left off but I have them)
* All NOS martian brackets, saucer assembly
* 3D printed Saucer cover and martian brackets
* New flipper coils and rebuild kit
* All new lamp sockets throughout playfield and backbox
* Cointaker and PBL LEDs (mixed by my preference)
* New glass
* New SOL weldment
* New saucer trough
* NOS left eject
* Mantis protectors (Sol and Mothership), mantis saucer bracket
* New ROMs
* Chrome plated NOS VUK, by Mike Chestnut
* Refurbished board including remote battery by Clive @ Coin-Op Cauldron
* Under cabinet led lighting kit

I will post some hilight pictures below - the entire album is here:
http://s1160.photobucket.com/user/gorgar007/library/AFM%20Project/New%20AFM%20Completed
Closeups of the mirror finish guides: http://s1160.photobucket.com/user/gorgar007/library/AFM%20Project/AFM%20Mirror%20Guides
Cabinet refinish: http://s1160.photobucket.com/user/gorgar007/library/AFM%20Project/AFM%20Cabinet%20Refinish
Wiring: http://s1160.photobucket.com/user/gorgar007/library/AFM%20Project/AFM%20Wiring
Custom coil cover: http://s1160.photobucket.com/user/gorgar007/library/AFM%20Project/AFM%20Coil%20Cover

Gameplay video:

(1080p looks best)

#2 11 years ago

Before, During, and After.

DSC01552.jpgDSC01552.jpg DSC01675_zps27f4ab1b.jpgDSC01675_zps27f4ab1b.jpg DSC01858.JPGDSC01858.JPG

#3 11 years ago

A few highlights

DSC01786.JPGDSC01786.JPG DSC01795.JPGDSC01795.JPG DSC01805.JPGDSC01805.JPG

#4 11 years ago

Couple more..

DSC01828.JPGDSC01828.JPG DSC01838.JPGDSC01838.JPG DSC01844.JPGDSC01844.JPG

#5 11 years ago

Some shots of the wiring

DSC01851.JPGDSC01851.JPG DSC01856.JPGDSC01856.JPG DSC01854.JPGDSC01854.JPG

#6 11 years ago

Nice shot of the saucer area

DSC01833.JPGDSC01833.JPG

#7 11 years ago

So awesome!

#8 11 years ago

Nicely done. Congrats on your rebuild, game looks to be done well.

#9 11 years ago

Amazing! I didn't even know you could DO that!

#10 11 years ago

That is sweet.

#12 11 years ago

Where did you get the strobe board assembly, the saucer assembly the saucer 3 bank gate assembly?

#13 11 years ago
Quoted from inhomearcades:

Where did you get the strobe board assembly, the saucer assembly the saucer 3 bank gate assembly?

Strobe board is being made by homepin - but it's not available yet - i'm waiting for them to become available. The strobe itself I bought the pinbits kit.

Saucer assembly - everything was bought separately. Saucer bracket from mantis amusements, the saucers parts such as the board and plastics were from various vendors, and the coil cover was 3d printed.

3-bank target was just various parts from online vendors - but the motor came from PSPA, and the bracket was modified from a stern spider-man bracket.. its basically the same bracket but it's threaded so you need to drill holes - with AFM the motor is threaded, not the bracket.

#14 11 years ago

great work, congrats

#15 11 years ago

Wow this is impressive!

#16 11 years ago

Awesome !

#17 11 years ago

Amazing! Looks great!

#18 11 years ago

Thanks for the kind words guys!

#19 11 years ago

You my friend are a good pin restorer! That machine is beautiful. Nice work on a great game. Gorgeous!

#20 11 years ago

Will, great job! You have taken building pins from parts to the next level. Building one without the benefit of having an AFM nearby to copy and the use of 3-D printed parts is an outstanding achievement. Really came out nice. Wally

#21 11 years ago

Very nice work, I am starting on the same project. I am beginning with nothing though. I have a brand new cabinet being built right now, artwork is here at the house. Playfield is on its way, if it wasn't for Metallica coming I would have more parts purchased.

#22 11 years ago
Quoted from gorgar007:

. . . Be warned that it's not going to save you a bunch of money . . .

How much did did the conversion end up running. You don't need to give exact numbers, maybe on a level of scale to what one goes for here.

#23 11 years ago
Quoted from Hammerhead:

How much did did the conversion end up running.

I'm afraid to add it up but I'm sure I spent over 9. I've kept all of my receipts sorted by online vendor. Was able to salvage about 600ish from the NBAFB via ebayed parts. I should have the numbers compiled soon and will share them.

#24 11 years ago

Also I've been getting questions about ball guides. PM me your email address if you'd like a set of AFM ball guides. I'll collect addresses and get details out down the road.

#25 11 years ago

Congrats and SWEET!

Next time I suggest building a rotisserie to help bring the pf up to a better height for your back and also nice to flip from top to bottom and back in 2 secs.

What a fun project!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 30.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Van Alstyne, TX
$ 37.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 27.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 44.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 17.50
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Westwood, NJ
$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 21.50
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

Wanted
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Bristow, VA

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/new-afm-project and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.