Mylar or not to mylar

Started 3 years ago by stainso in forum TechTech: Generic.

Forum » Tech » Tech: Generic » Topic

Mylar or not to mylar

Topic summary

• Started 3 years ago by stainso
  • 11 Pinsiders participating in this thread.
  • Latest reply from fxdwgmb

Tilts/ ignores / abuse

Sharing and favs

Games linked to topic

Help us build a pinball game knowledge base by linking topics to the games discussed in them!

3 years, 8 months ago
    #

Hi, Just got a BSD pinball. The playfield is in excellent condition. What are your thoughts on mylar. Should I use it to protect the playfield or are there downsides. Cheers stainso

3 years, 8 months ago
    #

I suppose it matters if you are either just using the machine at home, or operating it at a location for money. If you are running the machine home use only, you don't really need mylar to protect from dirt/grime...because you should already be cleaning the playfield every once in a while. Also might factor in what era your pin is from (ie. Diamond Plated playfield or not, in which case, your BSD is diamond plated).

Pros of Mylar:
    Mylar protects your investment, namely your playfield. I use mylar on my playfield on places where I know it will get an awful lot of wear. What that particular mylar spot is, depends on your game. I have the Inner Sanctum on my Shadow mylar'd, as well as the VUK drop off point on Bigfoot Bluff on my White Water. The ball tends to make nasty dime sized divets in there, so the mylar acts as a sort of barrier so the ball doesn't screw up my playfields more.

Cons of Mylar:
    The downside to having mylar is dirt and junk just tends to build on top of it (makes it look like a dark-murky smoke is hovering over the playfield surface), but its hardly noticeable if you run the game for home use.

If there is a good thing about not having mylar, is you can really see the beautiful shine/reflection off of the playfield when its waxed/cleaned.

3 years, 8 months ago
    #

I wouldn't mylar mine that's for damn sure. Just keep it clean regularily, wax it, new balls and it will be fine. If your REALLY worried. Have it clearcoated..

3 years, 8 months ago
    #

if you have the cash, you could get it clear coated. will protect it for a long time.Same stuff they use on cars. You still have to do the normal cleaning. Mylars can bubble after a while. I plan on doing this to my Whirlwind and Taxi.

3 years, 8 months ago
    #

I'd stay away from it on the older pins (EMs) clear coating the PF might be worth checking into - read as much as you can on it first.

3 years, 8 months ago
    #

good info guys. i have a huo tspp. the cabinet and pf are pristine. should i consider the stuff for the flipper buttons area? anywhere else on the pf?

3 years, 8 months ago
    #

Putting mylar on the flipper button area of your TSPP, is probably a good idea. Mylar around the buttons, and then place the side armor. You can never be too sure with the crappy Stern sidearts that fade easily.

3 years, 8 months ago
    #

I would put one around the start button also.

I prefer http://www.pinballpal.com stealth protectors. They cling by static and will peel off if you wish to remove them for whatever reason without damaging the paint. They stick extremely well. I haven't had any inclination that they will come off or move by accident.

I would also get the DMD filter. Makes a huge difference with glare. I have them on my LOTR and IJ and need to order one for my Corvette. You will have to take the DMD off the speaker panel to install it.

3 years, 8 months ago
    #

Thanks guys
    Great advice.This pin is for home use so I think I will just stick to constant cleaning.Cheers

3 years, 8 months ago
    #

Cool deal. Have fun with your BSD. Post some pics of that bad boy.

3 years, 8 months ago
    #

i have a lotr that has mylar on the playfield already, being as this game will be huo from here on out, would it be worthwhile for me to remove the mylar? it's not too dirty but i would like to get that nice reflective glow from a nicely waxed playfield as dr bond mentioned because i clean it regularly.

3 years, 8 months ago
    #

How hard is it to take off Mylar? Anyone have ideas on the best way to get it off without affecting the playfield?

3 years, 8 months ago
    #

Check this way, seems easy enough.

» YouTube video

3 years, 8 months ago
    #

Goughs417, Great find thanks for that link!

3 years, 8 months ago
    #

no prob, I think there are some other one on there to. With different ways of doing it.

3 years, 8 months ago
    #

wow the freeze spray looked like it worked perfectly! theres a few small mylar squares where the ramps drop the ball that i will definitely try this on. if it works well i may tackle that big nasty playfield mylar too! would it hurt anything to use the freeze spray on a populated playfield? thanks for the tips goughs417/ guy on youtube. good find!

erak

Pinball master
    2,199,650 5
    3 years, 8 months ago
    #

If you do remove the mylar with the freeze spray, make sure you have plenty of goo gone to get off the glue. I did this on my Hollywood Heat/evil dead mod to get off the original mylar before stripping the paint, and man there was ALOT of glue left behind.

3 years, 8 months ago
    #

I used Goo Gone to get the glue off my Future Spa since the last guy removed the mylar from around a pop bumper but left the glue in place. Didn't damage the paint as far as I could tell.

3 years, 8 months ago
    #

good to know thanks erak & sealclubber, I'll have to get me some goo gone. Sounds like it works pretty well.

3 years, 8 months ago
    #

Just make sure your sober when you remove the mylar. I came home one night after the bar closed and decided to remove the mylar on my STTNG.

Put on my reading glasses, cracked open an other beer and closed one eye for better viewing....and started to pull it off Not only did the inserts come up they split in half. So I stopped for a minute opened another beer and was thinking I should wait until the morning. Nope I continued on my distruction and didn't realize how bad it was until the next day.

Anyway I have made new inserts for STTNG and learned a lesson. I did use the freeze spray method on my Starship Troopers with great results.

Good luck and take it slow.

Wanna join the discussion? Sign up for a Pinside account, or sign in if you already have one.

© 2001-2014 Pinside.com All rights reserved. Jump to topRSS feedsHelpContactCookiesDesigned by Keeple