7HelicopterCircuit.jpg
22JBRivets.JPG
34DSC06239.JPG
35Done.JPG
33DrillPropTop.JPG
32PilotPropTop.JPG
30CutPropTop-425.JPG
31PropTopCut.JPG
There are 75 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 10 years ago

Just finished this T2 restoration and thought I'd share with Pinside. I have thick skin and welcome any and all comments lol.

T2(1).JPGT2(1).JPG
T2(2).JPGT2(2).JPG
T2(3).JPGT2(3).JPG
T2(4).JPGT2(4).JPG
T2(5).JPGT2(5).JPG
T2(6).JPGT2(6).JPG
T2(7).JPGT2(7).JPG
T2(8).JPGT2(8).JPG
T2(9).JPGT2(9).JPG
T2(10).JPGT2(10).JPG
T2(11).JPGT2(11).JPG
T2(12).JPGT2(12).JPG
T2(13).JPGT2(13).JPG
T2(14).JPGT2(14).JPG
T2(15).JPGT2(15).JPG
T2(16).JPGT2(16).JPG
T2(17).JPGT2(17).JPG

#2 10 years ago

Here's a video of the topper in action:

#3 10 years ago

And here's my next project. Found it in someone's shed for $2600 about 6 hours drive (one way) from my house.

T2(18).JPGT2(18).JPG
#4 10 years ago

congrats, very nice. and man, that apron is so nice, and hard to find.

#5 10 years ago

Killer T2 champ, Awesome effort

#6 10 years ago

That is an outstanding T2!!! Well done!

#7 10 years ago

That is the nicest T2 I have ever seen, great job with that one. WOW!

#8 10 years ago

A little blingy for my tastes.. but you did a nice job Enjoy it!

#9 10 years ago

Very nice, i love the stock translight on T2 but that one is Sick!!

#10 10 years ago

that is hands down the nicest T2 I have ever seen. Excellent.....

#11 10 years ago

Great job man! Mine will hopefully be looking similar to that in the next year. Where did you find those sweet cabinet decals?

#12 10 years ago

Gorgeous. I am going through a TZ restoration at the moment and seeing what you have done there is very inspiring. Please post your work on the MB too please.

#13 10 years ago

Nicest T2 I ever seen too wow congrats on this one and good luck with your next project !!

#14 10 years ago

Whoa! You're in San Jose. We gotta hang out PM me!

#15 10 years ago

Wow. Very nice. You did a great job. Can't wait to see what you do with the MB.

#16 10 years ago

BEAUTIFUL! Wow! ...I am green with envy!

#17 10 years ago

The Ms. is coming to Santa Clara next week.... Any chance to "Borrow " the backglass.. THX>

Really Really nice...

#18 10 years ago

Nice job on the T2, and great deal for the MB !

schonb25 and rx3, I'm in San Jose too, let's do something !

#19 10 years ago

Looks great!

#20 10 years ago

Thanks for nice comments guys! I'm being asked where I got some of the parts for this machine. This is who makes them http://www.pinball-dreams.com/index.php?article_id=15&clang=1
Here are some better pictures of the parts on my machine.

T2(19).JPGT2(19).JPG
T2(20).JPGT2(20).JPG
T2(21).JPGT2(21).JPG
T2(22).JPGT2(22).JPG
T2(23.JPGT2(23.JPG
T2(24).JPGT2(24).JPG

#21 10 years ago

Very cool mods for sure... Any comments on the Backglass..??? THX<

#22 10 years ago
Quoted from rx3:

And here's my next project. Found it in someone's shed for $2600 about 6 hours drive (one way) from my house.

T2(18).JPG 104 KB

You just struck gold!

#23 10 years ago
Quoted from NicToria:

Very cool mods for sure... Any comments on the Backglass..??? THX<

I got it on Ebay from this guy ebay.com link: pugsotoys5zpt

He had like 4 different T2 translites. He actually made them to order, so even though he doesn't have any listed right now, he could probably make one for you. They were like a hundred bucks shipped.

#24 10 years ago

Yes! I forgot about those...almost bought one. I was just worried that they looked as good on the machine as they did in the pictures. If you say they are good quality and worth it...I'll order one... ----Thanks!

#25 10 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

Yes! I forgot about those...almost bought one. I was just worried that they looked as good on the machine as they did in the pictures. If you say they are good quality and worth it...I'll order one... ----Thanks!

If he hasn't changed anything, you won't be disappointed.

2 months later
#27 10 years ago

Added the helicopter mod using the police helicopter everyone's been using from Amazon. After a bunch of time with a Dremel and JB Weld, I was able to add a motor to the propeller and a search light like the one in the movie.
DSC06177.JPGDSC06177.JPG
DSC06178.JPGDSC06178.JPG
DSC06180.JPGDSC06180.JPG
DSC06181.JPGDSC06181.JPG

#28 10 years ago

Wow! Awesome job! I'm really impressed.

#29 10 years ago

Shut up and take my money!

Geez man, that idea was like, what, a month ago? You are a beast!

So, how much to do mine? PM me if you want to do it. Please say you do!

#30 10 years ago

Very unique and tastefully done, thanks for sharing.

#31 10 years ago
Quoted from rx3:

Added the helicopter mod using the police helicopter everyone's been using from Amazon. After a bunch of time with a Dremel and JB Weld, I was able to add a motor to the propeller and a search light like the one in the movie.

Awesome job and great idea!

#32 10 years ago
Quoted from Chitownpinball:

So, how much to do mine?

Yes! I've got my copter sitting on the shelf.....waiting....

#33 10 years ago

Thanks guys! Unfortunately, I don't have the time to make and sell the helicopter mod. Plus, with all the labor involved, I'd be making about 10 cents an hour lol. If you guys are interested in doing this yourself, I might be able to put a little tutorial together with some pictures though. It might take a while as I need to find the time to do it.

#34 10 years ago

Helicopter mod is great! Don't think i'd ever have the ingenuity to pull that one off haha. Thanks for posting up the pics!

#35 10 years ago

Hi Rx,

Your machine is definately the nicest i have ever seen congrats

Are you able to post the link for the T2 Helicopter Mod? I wasnt able to find it on amazon.

Many Thanks,
Scott

#36 10 years ago
Quoted from sc0ttf:

Hi Rx,
Your machine is definately the nicest i have ever seen congrats
Are you able to post the link for the T2 Helicopter Mod? I wasnt able to find it on amazon.
Many Thanks,
Scott

Thanks Scott! Here you go: http://www.amazon.com/Wings-Bell-Jetranger-Police-Markings/dp/B0013SMM22/ref=sr_1_1

#37 10 years ago

Hi Rx,

Thank you for the link, i have just purhcased one

I look forward to your tutorial on how to get the propellers spinning along with the spot light

Kindest regards,
Scott

#38 10 years ago

Very nice!! Where did you get the cabinet decals?

Dan

#39 10 years ago
Quoted from rx3:

Thanks guys! Unfortunately, I don't have the time to make and sell the helicopter mod. Plus, with all the labor involved, I'd be making about 10 cents an hour lol. If you guys are interested in doing this yourself, I might be able to put a little tutorial together with some pictures though. It might take a while as I need to find the time to do it.

Very nice. A tutorial would be great, as much for T2 as for other machines where mods with toys, motors and lights are involved.

1 week later
#40 10 years ago

Ok here is part of the tutorial I promised. But, first:

Disclaimer: I’m not at all qualified in electronics or modifications. I just like to tinker, so do this at your own risk. I’m not responsible if you cause damage or injury to yourself, anyone else or any property. Anyone, feel free to chime in if you see I am doing something I shouldn’t be. Feel free to also chime in if you have a better or easier way to do any of these steps.

Remove landing skids and set aside.

1RemovePads-296.JPG1RemovePads-296.JPG

Drill rivets out. I used a 5/32 bit, but anything close should work. The way I did this was drill a little at a time and prying lightly until it comes apart. After it pries open, all kinds of parts will start falling out. Don’t worry about the order. Just put everything aside. It will go back together easy later. The windows have a light glue on them. Just pry those off and set aside with the other parts.

2DrillRivets.JPG2DrillRivets.JPG
3DrillRivets2.JPG3DrillRivets2.JPG
4Prying.JPG4Prying.JPG
5PryWindows.JPG5PryWindows.JPG

Put the 2 helicopter sides back together and drill a 5/32 (or close) hole on top where the propeller sits. This step might not be necessary but, it gives you some slop or more room for the motor shaft later when you put everything back together. It would suck if you put it back together with JB Weld and the motor shaft is rubbing the original size hole.

6DrillHole.JPG6DrillHole.JPG

Make a hole at the rear of the helicopter for exiting wires. I don’t have a specific size for the hole. Just make it big enough for 2 wires at about 24 gauge to come through it. The easiest way I found to make the hole was using a bench grinder as in the picture. File the hole so there are no sharp edges that could short your wires. I thought about putting a rubber grommet in the hole, but I didn’t have one. I did this with parts I had laying around the house.

7GrindRearHole.JPG7GrindRearHole.JPG8FileThisSmooth.JPG8FileThisSmooth.JPG9FileRear.JPG9FileRear.JPG10Filed.JPG10Filed.JPG

This next step will depend on what motor you choose to use. If you find a small enough motor, you probably could get away with skipping this step. Most likely you will have to do this though. So, find a small motor. I used one from a birthday card my kid got from his aunt lol. The card had a spinning thing-a-ma-jig when you opened the card. I took the card apart and there was a nice motor in it. For my IJ prop mod, I used a motor from a Zipzap car.

ebay.com link: NEW Zip Zaps Micro RC Performance Booster Upgrade Kit ORANGE MOTOR IS 28 000 RPM

Start grinding with whatever tool you have to do this. You can see in the pictures what I used. Grind and test fit until the helicopter halves seat back together with the motor in it. This is an annoying step because the motor will keep falling out of place when you’re doing the test fits. Find a way to hold the shaft through the top hole as you test fit.

11GrindForMotor.JPG11GrindForMotor.JPG12BestTool.JPG12BestTool.JPG13FinishedGrind.JPG13FinishedGrind.JPG14TestFitMotor.JPG14TestFitMotor.JPG

Clean the area for JB Weld with alcohol. Jb Weld the motor in place and let dry overnight. Do not touch it until the next day.

15ApplyJB.JPG15ApplyJB.JPG16JBMotor.JPG16JBMotor.JPG

Run 3’ of 24 gauge (or close) wires from motor and out of opening in helicopter.
JB Weld the 2 wires exiting the helicopter (ghetto strain relief lol). Let dry overnight.

17JBStrainRelief.JPG17JBStrainRelief.JPG18JBStrainRelief2.JPG18JBStrainRelief2.JPG

Look closely at the windows in the pictures below. You’ll have to grind them down to fit back into the helicopter. JbWeld the windows into place strategically placing the JB Weld so it doesn’t show from the outside looking into the helicopter. Let dry overnight.

19GrindWindow.JPG19GrindWindow.JPG20JBWindows.JPG20JBWindows.JPG

Grind the seat down to fit. No need to JB Weld the seat. Test fit both helicopter halves. If all is good, apply JB Weld to the motor where the other half of the helicopter is going to make contact. Put the halves together and fill the rivet holes with JB Weld. I used a toothpick. The JB Weld slowly falls into place leaving a smooth finish. Let dry overnight.

21GrindSeat.JPG21GrindSeat.JPG
22JBRivets.JPG22JBRivets.JPG

#41 10 years ago

So, If you want to add the spotlight, here is how I did it. I’m not too proud of the spotlight mod because the way I did it seems kinda cheesy lol. I couldn’t think of a better way to add a spotlight.

You’ll need a super bright white LED. Something like this: http://www.pinbits.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=16&products_id=70&zenid=dq06jdsu6b198bjilaiv0p09i7

You’ll also need some kind of holder for the LED. I was looking all over the house for something I could use and my 9 year old daughter handed me this mechanical pencil which worked out great. Take the eraser part out and cut it as in the pictures. Stick the LED in it and fill with silicone. Let dry over night.

23ThisForLED.JPG23ThisForLED.JPG24GlueLed.JPG24GlueLed.JPG

Cut a paperclip and JB Weld it to the led holder. Let dry AT LEAST over night. I used a paperclip because it will allow me to adjust where the light shines by bending the clip.

25PaperClip.JPG25PaperClip.JPG

Test fit the paper clip. Cut and put a bend in it like the below pictures. JB Weld it to the helicopter and let dry again AT LEAST overnight.

26MeasureCutBend.JPG26MeasureCutBend.JPG

27GluePaperClip.JPG27GluePaperClip.JPG

// Error: Image 188117 not found //
#42 10 years ago

Solder 3’ of wires to the LED. Then, heat shrink EACH led lead separately so they are not shorting. Now, heat shrink the 2 led wires with a piece of heat shrink to reach the bottom opening of the helicopter. Finally, attach 1’of heat shrink to the whole wire assembly. If this doesn’t make sense, look at the pictures for a better idea of what I’m trying to explain. Note: keep track of which wires go to the LED and which go to the motor. You can use different colors or mark them because once they’re in the heat shrink, you won’t be able to tell. If you forget, no biggie. Just attach a battery real quick and either the LED will light or the motor will spin telling you which wire is what.

28WireLed.JPG28WireLed.JPG29HeatShrink.JPG29HeatShrink.JPG

Cut the propeller top piece as in the pictures below.

30CutPropTop-425.JPG30CutPropTop-425.JPG31PropTopCut.JPG31PropTopCut.JPG

Mark a pilot hole in it as CENTERED as possible. This is important because your propeller will wobble if not centered. It won’t be perfect but, just get it as close as possible.

32PilotPropTop.JPG32PilotPropTop.JPG

Drill a hole into the propeller top piece. The hole size will be dependant on your motor’s shaft size. Start small and work your way up in size until you get a fairly tight fit on the motor’s shaft. I used small drill bits that I bought a long time ago from a hobby shop. I’ve heard them called jeweler’s drill bits, PC board drill bits, modeling drill bits, etc.. Once you get the correct size, JB Weld the propeller top piece into the propeller. A small note, if your propeller has a bow in it when laying flat, you'll want to mount it on your helicopter with it bowing up. That way when it's spinning, it won't hit the helicopter. keep this in mind before you JB Weld the top piece into the propeller. Paint the propeller to your liking and attach it to your helicopter.

33DrillPropTop.JPG33DrillPropTop.JPG34DSC06239.JPG34DSC06239.JPG35Done.JPG35Done.JPG

Now, you’ll have to figure out a mounting system for the helicopter. I’ve seen people use zip ties and mounting clamps of different kinds. If you look back at some of my first pictures, you’ll see where I used a piece of aluminum wire like stuff that I had lying around. I just bent it and used it to bolt the helicopter to the ramp.

Now, just run the wires and heat shrink through the hole in the playfield where the other wires come out. Zip tie it to the ramp following the path of the other wires.

When I find more time, I’ll do a write up on how I connected the electrical to my game.

// Error: Image 188117 not found //

#43 10 years ago

Fantastic!!

#44 10 years ago

Thanks man!

Once I get my collection in order with less issues I will make an attempt at this. Never used JB weld before, but I am interested.

#45 10 years ago

Hi Rx,

Many thanks for posting your tutorial,i really enjoyed seeing you weave your magic.

Very clever mods indeed, i received my police helicopter from amazon which i am very happy with.

I think on a day im feeling creative i will give open up the chopper and attempt the above, btw very nice resourcing to use the top of a pencil for the spotlight housing, that is genious

I am also curious with your power sourcing for these mods, is there any chance you could post pics of where on your playfield/boards you draw power from for these?

Kind Regards,
Scott

#46 10 years ago

Damn that is just fckn awesome !!!!!! respect !!!

#47 10 years ago

rx3, great work! I've heard mixed feelings on the T2 kit from pinball-dreams. Were you satisfied with the quality of the kit/decals?

#48 10 years ago

Thanks you guys. Chitownpinball, JB Weld is super easy to use. You get 2 tubes of adhesive that you mix together and use just like glue. It's super strong stuuf when fully dried. Just remember to mix only a little at a time so you don't waste it all.

Scott, I'll be posting a tutorial, with pictures, on the electronics part of this mod soon.

NinJaBooT, my biggest complaint on the pinball-dreams kit is the cost. You have to really like T2 to invest so much money in it. As far as quality, I actually have only one complaint. The decals are finicky to work with. You don't have much wiggle room when applying them.

spfxted, thanks for your support of T2! It was my first ever machine which I sold in 1992 and missed. So, I bought this one and went all out on it

Edit: I sold T2 in 2002 not 1992

#50 10 years ago
Quoted from rx3:

Ok, dont bogart it... how did you do the heli mod? I need this at once. Can you do a DIY youtube video or Start making these, pretty please?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 39.99
Rubber/Silicone
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Playfield - Other
Arcade Upkeep

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

3,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Harrisburg, PA
$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 99.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 10.00
Playfield - Decals
UpKick Pinball

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

4,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Cleveland, OH
$ 21.95
$ 9.95
$ 49.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 27.95
$ 36.00
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
$ 12.99
Playfields
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 75 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/my-t2-restoration-with-pictures and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.