Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 122 posts
  • 34 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by herg
  • Topic is favorited by 10 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_4100_2.JPG
    IMG_4448.JPG
    image.jpg
    image.jpg
    IMG_3000.JPG
    IMG_2998.JPG
    IMG_2995.JPG
    There are 122 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 3.
    #101 11 years ago
    Quoted from MrWizzo:

DCFAN is reluctant to discuss this in public, but he is an animal lover and participated in the "Pets from Chernobyl to the US" adoption program.
    Dan

LOL

#102 11 years ago

The number of threads discussing glowing cats eyes is quickly approaching the number of WOZ threads.

#103 11 years ago
    Quoted from castlesteve:

While no doubt this is a lot of work and what I'm about to say is no slam on your effort, but I for one actually prefer the crispness and rapid response over the lazy incandescent bulbs. I'm sure I'm not in the minority on this.
    If wpc designers had cheap LEDs and the budget to use them, I believe 100% they would have.

Interesting, I've been waiting for something like this before I'd even consider adding LEDs to my machines. I personally get really annoyed when I see W/B machines all blinged up with overly bright, instant-on LEDs that completely lose the intended visual effects that incandescent bulbs provide with the slower ramp up/down that they have.

This thing is awesome, I will order one to experiment with, planning on shopping my IJ this winter and now will add some LEDs as well! A big thank-you to the OP, nicely done sir!

3 weeks later
    #104 11 years ago

How's this coming along?

#105 11 years ago

- Production boards have been received. I've built and tested one. Building more in parallel to speed things up.
    - Cable sets for the first batch have been built, but I'm still waiting on keying plugs for the connectors due to me ordering the wrong quantity.
    - A shipment of USB cables and another of packing materials is being held up by Sandy complications.
    - I should be able to start shipping small quantities within the next week or so.

#106 11 years ago
    Quoted from herg:

- Production boards have been received. I've built and tested one. Building more in parallel to speed things up.
    - Cable sets for the first batch have been built, but I'm still waiting on keying plugs for the connectors due to me ordering the wrong quantity.
    - A shipment of USB cables and another of packing materials is being held up by Sandy complications.
    - I should be able to start shipping small quantities within the next week or so.

SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY!

#107 11 years ago
    Quoted from Frax:

SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY!

No worries. You're at the top of the list, and the minor stuff I listed is all I'm waiting before I can ship yours.

I could actually ship you one now, but it would be missing the keys in the connectors to prevent you plugging it in wrong, you'd have to use your own USB cable, and it would arrive in a Franken-berry box.

#108 11 years ago
    Quoted from herg:

No worries. You're at the top of the list, and the minor stuff I listed is all I'm waiting before I can ship yours.
    I could actually ship you one now, but it would be missing the keys in the connectors to prevent you plugging it in wrong, you'd have to use your own USB cable, and it would arrive in a Franken-berry box.

I'll be interested in checking one of these out once you have a Stern model ready. LED's not fading smoothly is all that is stopping me from testing them out on TSPP.

#109 11 years ago

I've got USB cables out the wazoo depending on if it's full size or micro, lol...and I'm pretty sure I have spare molex plug keys for .156 too. But I don't have a Tron yet! Guaranteed it will be installed pretty fast once I get it though! I'm just waiting on a ship date from Stern/JJ!

#110 11 years ago

Uh, you do know it doesn't support Stern machines yet, right?

It uses a mini-B USB cable (I'm including a 15ft one), and I'm waiting on both .156 and .100 plugs.

EDIT:
    I see you mentioned Rollergames a while back and that your collection doesn't include any WPC games. It has only been tested with WPC so far. I'm sorry.

Post edited by herg : Checked Frax messages

#111 11 years ago

Oh right, I got confused on threads, but I already promised my wife we would get STTNG back at some point anyways, so... still applicable! Looking foward to the reports from people that can actually use it at the moment. Between this and Eli's fiber mod for Tron, these are the two most interesting things in development in pinball IMO.

Rollergames will definitely need something like this if it ever becomes available. I put a few test LEDs in it last night and you can clearly see they're missing the fade effect to make the trailing lights look good.

#112 11 years ago
    Quoted from Frax:

Between this and Eli's fiber mod for Tron, these are the two most interesting things in development in pinball IMO.

Both are very, very impressive.

#113 11 years ago

A small number of kits are shipping today, and I think I'm just as excited as the guys who will be receiving them.

Here's a couple pictures of the finished boards.

IMG_4448.JPGIMG_4448.JPG IMG_4100_2.JPGIMG_4100_2.JPG

#114 11 years ago

Those look awesome. I've gotta find me a WPC game now...lol..

I tried to fix my Time Machine last night to get it sold/traded.....and it burst into flames! (Exaggerating, but something did burn...POS...)

#115 11 years ago

Those 4 capacitors on the left, do those filter the output voltage to smoothen out the modulated waveform even more? This would minimize dimming flicker if not eliminate it.

#116 11 years ago

No, those caps are to smooth the input voltage. Since the output is a matrix, it cannot be smoothed using caps at the board.

#117 11 years ago

Nice work. My hat's off to anyone that can start with an idea and work all the way through shipping it. That's a whole lot of work and trouble.

Congratulations!

#118 11 years ago

Congratulations on shipping your first boards! They look great.

I'm eagerly anticipating receiving mine, although I haven't ordered the LEDs yet, I guess I should get on that.

#119 11 years ago
    Quoted from herg:

it would arrive in a Franken-berry box.

I don't know why, but that sounds strangely appealing.

#120 11 years ago
    Quoted from Crash:

Is $150 a realistic price point? Seems a little high for just fading LEDs.

If it lets you use the 27 cent cheap LEDs, seems like it would actually save you money (if your only other choice was the 2 dollar ghost busters.

#121 11 years ago
    Quoted from herg:

On a side note, this is now bordering on "Marketplace" discussion. If it needs to be moved, feel free to do so. Can I move a thread I started?

Only a mod can move a topic. I will leave this as is on here but I would appreciate it if you started a separate thread once you actually start selling them.

There are 122 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/my-current-project-led-lamp-controller/page/3 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.