Topic poll

“Mint TAF or NIB TRON PRO”

• NIB Tron 25 votes
    38%
  • Mint TAF 41 votes
    62%

(66 votes by 0 Pinsiders)

#1 12 years ago

Need your help guys. NIB Tron or mint modded out TAF?

#2 12 years ago

Considering TAF is already on your wishlist and Tron has not been updated to it yet...

I'd say Mint TAF all the way. Although Tron is fun if you like super fast.

#3 12 years ago

TAF go for the classic!

#4 12 years ago

I'd have to go with TAF, especially if it's truly mint.

#5 12 years ago

Modded and Mint do not go together. That being said, TAF by a mile.

#6 12 years ago

I like nib smell. Buy both.

#7 12 years ago

IMHO Tron is a bit more visually interesting, but TAF is more fun to play.
I would chose TAF. I own TAF and play it often. I have only played Tron a few times at the PHOF so my opinion is biased!

#8 12 years ago
Quoted from Av8:

+1

#9 12 years ago

I like Tron but I say TAF as well.
Unless your talking Tron LE then probably LE as TAF is easily picked up later.

#10 12 years ago

Tron LE > TAF > Tron Pro

Go with TAF.

#11 12 years ago

Not a fan of TAF. Tron FTW!

#12 12 years ago

Wouldnt touch a Tron even if LE with a 6 foot stick. TAF is one of the best games ever made. Far more fun with better sounds and shot making ability than a Tron... Lol you will even be looking over the centre of the flippers rather than on Tron where you are looking over the right flipper.

#13 12 years ago

I owned TAF for a while and i currently own Tron, but liking any game depends heavily on what the players pin preferences are. TAF is a very good game with nice touches, but the flow is interrupted a little too much for me and the sounds are, well,..sh*t. Tron is arguably the fastest game ever and demands precision accuracy at those speeds to be any good at it. Its also a painfully brutal drain monster if you lose ball control.

TAF is good, but imo it has less long term playability factor than Tron by a long way.

#14 12 years ago

TAF get my vote by far. You won't regret getting TAF.

#15 12 years ago

Tron gets my vote. Never got into TAF
Doug

#16 12 years ago
Quoted from Av8:

+1
spoken like a true addict

TAF. Every pinball fan has to own one at some point. Just too much fun... especially if you don't play it for high scores and actually go through the modes. Great game and I'll go against the grain a bit and say it's still Lawlor's best.

#17 12 years ago

Tron here. I don't get the hype behind TAF, I can't get into the game and find it a bit overrated. I'm sure I'm in the minority here though.

#18 12 years ago

Have you played both of them? Both are great games. Honestly, i'd pick the TAF just because i couldn't bring myself to buy a non-le tron.

#19 12 years ago

Just had to make that same decision and I went with TRON- I have had a lot of the old Bally? Williams classics and I wanted something a little different. No regrets yet.
Good luck with your decision.

#20 12 years ago

I have a friend with a TAF and have tried playing it over and over and yet still dont enjoy it all. TAF and TZ. Just dont get it.
Played a Tron and liked it right out of the gate.
I think its what you like to play. Again, I have HS and HSII and play them for hours but could care less about those top two tier tables.

#21 12 years ago

Tron Pro, If the Price is rite.. The NIB smell ( Gonna know it myself soon )

#22 12 years ago
Quoted from BLACK_ROSE:

Tron Pro, If the Price is rite.. The NIB smell ( Gonna know it myself soon )

Congrats, BR!

#23 12 years ago
Quoted from Av8:

NIB smell is nice but not the NIB tech issues you get with a lot of recent sterns. I'd go with the proven best seller especially if it's on your wish list. Get the TAF

#24 12 years ago

I'd go TAF, and I'm not a huge fan of it. Tron is somewhat growing on me, but it still doesn't feel very good to me.

#25 12 years ago

I would definitely go Tron on this one I am not a huge fan of TAF.

#26 12 years ago

NIB Tron will depreciate immediately after unboxing and TAF will not if you don't overpay.

I love both games.

#27 12 years ago
Quoted from davewtf:

NIB Tron will depreciate immediately after unboxing and TAF will not if you don't overpay.
I love both games.

Come on now, it wouldn't be the first time some of us have paid ~$400 to get inside a box...

#28 12 years ago
Quoted from Russo121:

I owned TAF for a while and i currently own Tron, but liking any game depends heavily on what the players pin preferences are. TAF is a very good game with nice touches, but the flow is interrupted a little too much for me and the sounds are, well,..sh*t. Tron is arguably the fastest game ever and demands precision accuracy at those speeds to be any good at it. Its also a painfully brutal drain monster if you lose ball control.
TAF is good, but imo it has less long term playability factor than Tron by a long way.

What he said

Loved TAF in the arcades. Bought one eventually and got bored of it rather quickly. Still enjoy it at someone else's house, though. Tron is a blast. I'd take a Tron over TAF any day, but it really depends on what you like.

#29 12 years ago
Quoted from davewtf:

I love both games.

Maybe, maybe not. There have been a few Sterns that have gone up in value after the production run has been completed. I could sell my Spiderman that I bought NIB for the same money I paid, maybe even more. I suspect Tron is going to be the same.

Once the prouduction run is done, they are not going to depreciate. I've already noticed that trend. Around Christmas there were plenty of Tron Pros out there for $3,600 to $3,800. I don't think that is the case anymore.

#30 12 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Not a fan of TAF. Tron FTW!

I with you RobT. GO with the Tron. I owned TAF and the game is great...for a few months. Simple and the music becomes horrid.

Quoted from Russo121:

This is Y i pick the TRON

#31 12 years ago
Quoted from TwilightZone:

davewth said:NIB Tron will depreciate immediately after unboxing and TAF will not if you don't overpay.
I love both games.
Maybe, maybe not. There have been a few Sterns that have gone up in value after the production run has been completed. I could sell my spiderman that I bought NIB for the same money I paid, maybe even more. I suspect Tron is going to be the same.
Once the prouduction run is done, they are not going to depreciate. I've already noticed that trend. Around Christmas there were plenty of Tron Pros out there for $3,600 to $3,800. I don't think that is the case anymore.

Yeah but aren't they doing another Pro run in the summer??

#32 12 years ago

You've already got 2 90s games so maybe some new blood in there wouldn't be such a bad idea.

#33 12 years ago

Have had both of them and my vote is for Tron - just a fun game that keeps saying "just one more". The combos are a blast. Easy to mod with EL Wire as well.

#34 12 years ago
Quoted from Shapeshifter:

TwilightZone said:davewth said:NIB Tron will depreciate immediately after unboxing and TAF will not if you don't overpay.
I love both games.
Maybe, maybe not. There have been a few Sterns that have gone up in value after the production run has been completed. I could sell my spiderman that I bought NIB for the same money I paid, maybe even more. I suspect Tron is going to be the same.
Yeah but aren't they doing another Pro run in the summer??

Maybe, maybe not

Word from the local distributor is Tron will not be re-run. AC/DC is selling like hotcakes and Stern, at this point, want to continue to run it. Of course, that could change, but that's what I'm told at this point. If it is re-run, the price will likely go up another couple of hundred....because Stern can and people continue to accept this nonsense.

I don't think the distributor is saying this to run up sales, either. I believe they are now sold out of Trons.

Cheers,
Duane

#35 12 years ago

TAF > anything else in this world.

#36 12 years ago
Quoted from ckorth:

Have had both of them and my vote is for Tron - just a fun game that keeps saying "just one more".

I have never owned any pin that has a stronger "just one more game" pull than Tron. IM and BSD have it, but not to the same extent as Tron.

I actually made it to Portal last night. Not an easy task!

#37 12 years ago

Trying to sell my TAF to get a Tron so there's my answer.

#38 12 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

ckorth said:Have had both of them and my vote is for Tron - just a fun game that keeps saying "just one more".
I have never owned any pin that has a stronger "just one more game" pull than Tron. IM and BSD have it, but not to the same extent as Tron.
I actually made it to Portal last night. Not an easy task!

Really?

I love 'just one more game pins' and I also love IM, FT, TS, WH20 so maybe I need to give TRON more time as I never had it down as addictive.

#39 12 years ago

Tron.

TAF has fugly art and a wishy washy looking cabinet. It sold tons because of a popular theme and the right features hitting the market at the right time. Did I mention the sounds are annoying?

I would consider both but Im sure TAF wouldn't stay very long. Either one is easy to sell and TAF will likely hold value better.

I heard they're doing another run of Tron after the initial demand for AC/DC is filled.

Tron is a better player IMHO.

#40 12 years ago

Addams Family is my Green Eggs and Ham. I would get the Tron Pro and mod it.

#41 12 years ago
Quoted from Atomicboy:

TAF > anything else in this world.

riiiiight..

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Disk war combatant Pre-order!
RamMods

$ 41.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 26.99
Playfield - Other
Lee's Parts

Trade
$ 39.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 41.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 6.00
Playfield - Plastics
Minty's Mods

$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

11,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Reno, NV
$ 15.00
Pinball Machine
Uberlaser

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 35.00
Various Other Swag
JK Pinball

$ 62.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

8,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Venice, FL
$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

20,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Oakdale, CA
$ 24.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 58.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 320.00
Playfield - Other
Avid Creations Wireforms

$ 10.00
Playfield - Other
Loop Combo Pinball

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/mint-taf-or-nib-tron-pro and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.