SAM_0384.JPG
SAM_0398.JPG
spock.gif
APS_camera.gif
Pinbot-Over-board.jpg
100_1099.JPG
V8.jpg
horses-ass.jpg
There are 182 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 4.
#101 12 years ago

I have high hopes it will be repaired now. Further examination has revealed less damage. The boards are all fine minus that one capacitor and it just came unsoldered, connectors are fine and the cap is fine also, although it will get replaced anyways. As was said earlier the real issue is backbox artwork, joshua is already helping with a new one from stern which would solve all of that.

Thank you for the kind words. The only real lesson here is never transport in your pickup with legs on. Oh and maybe never let someone talk you out of your plan...most of you already knew this.

The negative comments were well deserved in this case I am afraid. On the upside I have a war story now I suppose. LOTR moved from wishlist to collection. I will get to play it sometime this year. Funny though, prolly get WoZ first. Can't wait to ship LOTR out now, it's a constant reminder. Ok-there is a third thing...this thread will never let me forget. If there is a punishment for me here it is that I will end up paying $5k for this pin if I am lucky and will not get to play it for a few months.

#102 12 years ago
Quoted from gambit3113:

I wish I had never clicked on this thread. Dammit.

Meeeee toooo... I just knew what it was gonna be but I looked anyway. There is a a reason truisms are called truisms. Because they reach across idealogy and become factual truth and like Eric pointed out, haste makes waste. 10 minutes to take the legs off would have spared countless hours of repairs It's a very hard lesson you've had to learn, Rommy, and I feel terrible for ya.

#103 12 years ago

Sucks to see this. You're welcome to come play mine while yours spends the next 6 months getting fixed

#104 12 years ago

wowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww sorry

#105 12 years ago

Sorry for your loss. Thats sucks brother. GL with the fix.

#106 12 years ago

I feel really sorry for the loss.

#108 12 years ago

That is quite a tale of woe, Rommy. Very sorry that that happened to you. I guess although maybe an expensive mistake, it might not be a costly to you as it would be for others here. So in a sense, your willingness to share the misfortune and open yourself up to ridicule serves others here to take in account how to go about things properly. Thanks that your pride didn't get in the way of sharing your hard-learnt lesson. I guess your excitement overcame your rational mind, and you cut some corners. Better to be reminded of that flaw on something like a pinball than have it create a tragedy with someone you love.

Anyway, overall the majority have responded to you in a sympathetic tone, for we all have screwed something up with a pin (I thought I killed my CFTBL hologram recently) and some with a reasonable concern for holding you accountable. That is one strong aspect of pinside. I am sure that you will have the game back in decent condition in little time with all the help shown here.

And then there are those that seize the opportunity to condemn you and not your action or choice. It is always the same people who self-righteously condemn a mistake or belittle another's achievement. they do not realize that the expose themselves to their own judgment, for the thing they might condemn in another is the very thing they hate about themselves or take undue pride in. This is what is meant by "Judge not, lest ye be judged." You will point out in others what you dislike or favor in yourself exposing your flaws or selfish pride. Either way you say, "I am not up to snuff" or actively seek recognition because you are the one in disbelief.

An action does not an identity make. Condemnation is about identity," you are an_____!" Conviction is about behavior or attitude, "I shouldn't have said that," or "that was really crappy of me." Most likely, someone who constantly attacks others' identity is condemning is their own self-talk, "I'm a ___." It is a shame. When I encounter people who attack my identity, they are already judging themselves as having a poor sense of themselves saving me the need to do anything but leave them to themselves.

The wiser and maturer a person is, the more they are supportive and compassionate (LTG for example); the less-the more critical and condemning. One has much to give to others out of fullness; the other needs to take from others because of emptiness or diminish others down to their own level.

#109 12 years ago

Where's BR on this one? Not too long ago, he did this to a PINBOT.

My stomach hurts from seeing this..... Ouch.

#110 12 years ago

Michelle got right on it. They will come pick it up Friday so at least it will be out of sight. It was so cherry...there is no wear on the PF...it looks new. Either Chad or Joshua will find me a new backbox or Chad will be able to fix it. In the end it looks like the $5k pin I paid $3k for will cost me $5k. And that's with everyone involved being VERY nice to me. Thank's to everyone here for helping. A truly stupid mistake will get fixed with only money. I mean what if there had been another car involved/the pin had hit someone...perish the thought.

#111 12 years ago

This is a bummer.
I bought a very nice TAF that someone had the same thing happen.
I made a new backbox for in and fixed the couple transistors that got messed up. I replaced ramps plastic cleaned lots of broken glass fixed the main cabinet now have a very nice TAF.

#112 12 years ago

$275 plus shipping for new backbox from Stern, that is a relief.

#113 12 years ago

This was painful to read.. I hope it works out for you

#114 12 years ago

Yikes. Sorry for the hard lesson you learned on this one. I won't beat you up since I'm sure you are doing plenty of that yourself. On the very bright side, at least it rolled into the ditch and not in front of anyone who might have been following you. An unfortunate situation could have turned deadly fast. At least the damage can and will be fixed!

#115 12 years ago

"$275 plus shipping for new backbox from Stern, that is a relief."

That's not bad at all. You should be back in business for less than $500. At that price your LOTR was STILL a good deal. U suck!

#116 12 years ago

Dude...I have major collection envy after checking out yours

Quoted from GoneFishinLvMsg:

At that price your LOTR was STILL a good deal. U suck!

Bwahahaha! I still can't play it for a while. but i hear ya

#117 12 years ago

Should have taken the legs off... that was a really stupid move. OMG

Sorry to see it happen man.

#118 12 years ago

Sorry Man, that sucks.

#119 12 years ago

Wow, was thinking this was an April Fools joke!

Glad to hear it will be OK with the new head from Stern.

Kudos to you for sending this reminder to all of us to strap things in securely.

Parker

#120 12 years ago

Rommy, when you were talking about depreciating a pin, I didn't think you meant it in this way!

#121 12 years ago

Sorry man! At least we all learned what can happen, sorry you got to be the one to figure it out.

#122 12 years ago

My pin was delivered from the Playdium store in Mississauga to North York in the back of a truck with the legs on though this was a moving truck and not a pickup and I assume they had it secure in place.

#123 12 years ago

Like was probably said here before....If reading this thread keeps ONE person from doing what you did, it was well worth it. Sometimes we get a bit restless and forget the rules. Thanks for bringing us all down to earth.

#124 12 years ago
Quoted from Dewey68:

Rommy, when you were talking about depreciating a pin, I didn't think you meant it in this way!

lmfao!!!

#125 12 years ago

Great to hear that an LOTR backbox is available for you. The lockdown bars are readily available.
I think the scariest part is possible hidden damage such as a broken lockdown bar latching mechanism, the cabinet being out of square from the impact, broken wires between the backbox and the playfield, and a warped or cracked playfield including insert damage. I think a new playfield can be had for around $550.

Anyway, I always say, if you throw enough money at something in this hobby it can be fixed. That is why I will not stress out too much when I have a problem with a machine. I will just try to fix it myself, and if all fails pay someone or buy a new part. It is part of the hobby and learning process.

Rommy, thanks for sharing even though it pained us all to hear about the machine's near tragedy.

#126 12 years ago

Sorry about this, totally sucks. Now I am going to have this horrible image in my head all day

#127 12 years ago
Quoted from michiganpinball:

Wow, was thinking this was an April Fools joke!
Glad to hear it will be OK with the new head from Stern.
Kudos to you for sending this reminder to all of us to strap things in securely.
Parker

Ha I would have killed him if it was! I called in a favor to get the one extra backbox they had left over from production, because I felt so sick about this.. I know how it feels to have something bad like this happen. Rommy is to nice of a guy, and been to nice to me.

#128 12 years ago

I can't even imagine loading it in a truck, legs on, without me LITERALLY standing up in the back holding on for dear life.

Someimtes you gotta pay a little extra cash for an "awesome" story Rommy. Sorry man...it will live again though!

#129 12 years ago

Damn. That hurts to see. If you have full coverage insurance on that vehicle. They may be able to help with this depending on if the deductible is worth it.

Just how good of a deal were we talking here? Ive seen it mentioned many times.

#130 12 years ago

Rommy I feel Yr Pain bro.. A 3K LOTR , Oh Man,, You Gotta be sick !! Would Yr Friend try to Report it to his vehicle Insurance people.. Dang,, Only 5 mph... I was doing 45 in a 25 mph Curve , My Pinbot was loaded w/ leg's on too, it Slide out & took a Backward's Barrel roll in the ditch & Exploded.. We Live & Learn !!!

Pinbot-Over-board.jpgPinbot-Over-board.jpg

#131 12 years ago
Quoted from BLACK_ROSE:

We Live & Learn !!!

Man B_R I was so lucky. My friend saw it start to tip and was able to come to almost a compete stop before it tipped over and out. So all the damage came from the pin landing upside down on the backbox, which was folded down, after a fall of about 5-6 feet. If we had been doing even 10mph I bet it would have sploded like yours. Gets shipped to Chad Friday, and Joshua from GEx found me a backbox. Now LOTR will have to ship with STTNG and WH2O when Chad gets done with those. This is the point where sympathies should start to fade lol...

Insurance - I would not file this type of claim on insurance unless someone else had caused the accident. I personally do not need any claims against my insurance. But in this case there was no insurance in place that would cover the damage.

Thanks again for all the kind words. It was a horrible Saturday to boot that day, had to run people off of the backyard. So ended up dealing with police and Sheriff on top of the personal stupidity. But I'll betcha those boys don't come back

#132 12 years ago
Quoted from rommy:

It was a horrible Saturday to boot that day, had to run people off of the backyard.

I heard that creek is loaded with fish and the temptation was just too great

#133 12 years ago
Quoted from rommy:

It was a horrible Saturday

I think the best in human nature reveals itself in the face of another's tragedy. Although not a Tsunami or hurricane in scope, I think it is great to see how people have rallied around you.

That is what life is about.

Dan

#134 12 years ago

GEX....you're a Good Egg!

1 week later
#135 12 years ago

Update from Chad Keller -

"just saw it. You were really lucky that the lower cabinet didn't get that much damage on it. I am so glad that you could find the backbox because this will still be a really nice game with the new back box. Looks like we need a new translite, lock bar, speaker just from a quick 5 min look. "

For enquiring minds

#136 12 years ago

Another suggestion if it hasn't been mentioned and you're in THAT much of a hurry...Just put it on it's back with the legs ON. Strap the head to the body as normal. If you've got a truck, you've got the room for the legs to stick out towards the rear...just strap the body up real good like you'd do normally. Might look a bit goofy but it's a lot less risky. :\

Or just take off the back two legs. Same deal.

#137 12 years ago

You certainly could've made out a lot worse Rommy! you got the last NOS head on the planet Translite, lockdown bar and speaker are nothing.

#138 12 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

Just put it on it's back with the legs ON.

Would be a lot of pressure on the poor legs when standing it up. It only takes a few mins to take legs off and is the safest way

Sorry Rommy, not meant to rub it in. Chad does awesome work. I have a few friends locally that have had machines done by him and they are better than new. So, really you will be much better off and you didn't even know that was going to be the original plan. Can't wait to see pics when he is done with it!

#139 12 years ago
Quoted from rommy:

Update from Chad Keller -

"just saw it. You were really lucky that the lower cabinet didn't get that much damage on it. I am so glad that you could find the backbox because this will still be a really nice game with the new back box. Looks like we need a new translite, lock bar, speaker just from a quick 5 min look. "

For enquiring minds

That sounds like great news. The hardest part now will be waiting to get it back. GL with the fix rommy.

3 months later
#140 11 years ago

"Lotr is together and awaiting board repair. " - Chad Keller

Groovy...it will be nice to bury this chapter along with whatever pieces I may have left in that ditch

#141 11 years ago

At least it wasn't as bad as B_R's pinbot.

#142 11 years ago

How much is this running you, if you want to post?

#143 11 years ago

Don't know yet. I mean I bought a backbox for 275, I know that part(oh and 400 shipping), but Chad took pity on me and has not billed me for it yet. I will let y'all know for sure. But so far 3675 total, if we are counting what I will eventually have paid for my "bargain".

#144 11 years ago
Quoted from Gexchange:

We Transport Quite Often with Legs on, but Either in a box truck or a truck with a Rack on it so it cant fall out. and we can strap high.

I do too ... But in a Transit van (like an econoline van). We strap them to the wall of the van, no issues.

I would never do this on a Ute or open back truck though ... No no no

Quote 6 million dollar man ... "we can rebuild him"

Dave.

#145 11 years ago

That makes me sick every time I look at it Rommy! Glad you almost have it back...you'll love Lotr

#146 11 years ago

Dude!!!! That just hurts to look at. Best of luck on the refurb

#147 11 years ago

Thats good to hear there getting put back together for ya!

#148 11 years ago

damn dude didnt you ever read black rose where he dumped his post??! that one will always stick with me and now this post when transporting

#149 11 years ago

Can't wait to see the pix!

APS_camera.gifAPS_camera.gif

#150 11 years ago

Sorry Rommy. That's horrific. You're not an idiot though.. you just did something without thinking, probably due to sheer excitement.

Side note: please see Black Rose's Pinbot fiasco. THAT pic turns my stomach.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

10,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Deer Park, NY
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

€ 7.50
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 8.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 25.00
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

Machine - For Sale
Anderson, SC
$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

9,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Ronkonkoma, NY
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
WilliPinball Mods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

€ 7.50
Playfield - Decals
Pin-Decals

10,400 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Juneau, WI
$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 39.50
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 41.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

There are 182 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/mint-lotr-now-crushedwaaaah/page/3 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.