(Topic ID: 66200)

Metallica......holy crap!!!

By misfitdart

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20131012_125114_resized.jpg
    t4_Resistance_is_futile.jpg
    AFTER_I_WAX.jpg
    LOLcat-bikini-wax-(1)-866.jpg

#1 10 years ago

I made a huge mistake, I waxed my metallica and it is soooooo freaking fast that I have a hard time to even see the ball let alone play, how do I remove the wax??? lol

#2 10 years ago

Alcohol or dish soap. I don't claim either is safe, but I've used both to remove wax and novus residue. I get rejects off the drops like crazy after novus residue is on the playfield and/or balls so I've cleaned the playfield back to non-wax a few times. Yes I know novus isn't a wax, I'm just saying its residue is 'wax like'

#3 10 years ago

Cleaned my LOTR with novus a few months ago and it went from being a great player to lightning fast and sometimes unplayable.

#4 10 years ago

LOLcat-bikini-wax-(1)-866.jpgLOLcat-bikini-wax-(1)-866.jpg

#5 10 years ago

Ok, the real reply

In my opinion, You can never wax your PF enough. Faster, the better. I wax with a 4 piece drill buffer. I wax it till I see my face in its reflection.

#6 10 years ago

For years I only use alcohol to clean the playfield and hardly use any wax. Ok, the pf will not be as fast with wax but will stay cleaner for a longer time.

#7 10 years ago
    Quoted from Der_Meister:

will stay cleaner for a longer time.

Alcohol will break down wax. It will make it cleaner in terms of eating food on your playfield but will not "protect" your PF. If you only use Rubbing Alcohol for many years and not wax, you must be down to factory clear-coat or ink by now? Consider "WAX" as the layer of your eye" You need a layer to protect yourself from the elements.

-----------------

This is the facial expression I expect after I wax

AFTER_I_WAX.jpgAFTER_I_WAX.jpg
    #8 10 years ago

just play until the wax wears off.

#9 10 years ago

The games should be waxed and should always play that way. I suggest resistoring down the slingshots slightly and keeping things spotless and waxed.

#10 10 years ago
    Quoted from markmon:

I suggest resistoring down the slingshots slightly

t4_Resistance_is_futile.jpgt4_Resistance_is_futile.jpg
    #11 10 years ago

Try naptha. Removes all old wax. Even the black on slingshot, flipper and post rubbers.

#12 10 years ago
    Quoted from mario_1_up:

just play until the wax wears off.

Lol that's what I did cause after I used novus I also got target rejects.

#13 10 years ago

I use Wizard Wax. It gives an industrial finish

#14 10 years ago

they have a cleaner wax that removes wax and the like but is not bad on clear coats.. any auto part store has it I like turtle wax products... cant wait for my STLE and turtle wax ice that thing up!

#15 10 years ago
    Quoted from misfitdart:

I made a huge mistake, I waxed my Metallica and it is soooooo freaking fast that I have a hard time to even see the ball let alone play, how do I remove the wax??? lol

I bet you have the Randy save at max
    For you guys that don't know what that is,it's the ball save timer.
    We max it out for the op,he's not that good of a player

With that nicely waxed playfield he probably plays less.

#16 10 years ago

The clearcoat on a Stern is paper thin.

Wax the crap out of it before the first play.

Also, let the wax build up over time. Just buff it real good when it starts to look dull.

#17 10 years ago
    Quoted from misfitdart:

I made a huge mistake, I waxed my Metallica and it is soooooo freaking fast that I have a hard time to even see the ball let alone play, how do I remove the wax??? lol

Been saying this for awhile . Don't wax your new games,it makes them unplayable !

#18 10 years ago
    Quoted from pingod:

I bet you have the Randy save at max
    For you guys that don't know what that is,it's the ball save timer.
    We max it out for the op,he's not that good of a player
    With that nicely waxed playfield he probably plays less.

Thx Dan that helps, you have an le so I don't think you see what I mean about a FAST playing game......lol

#19 10 years ago
    Quoted from Jean-Luc-Picard:

LOLcat-bikini-wax-(1)-866.jpg 58 KB

That's funny lol

#20 10 years ago
    Quoted from McCune:

Been saying this for awhile . Don't wax your new games,it makes them unplayable !

Lol, I couldn't imagine doing that to ACDC as well since its already extremely fast. I did get it in March though and haven't cleaned it yet...better do that soon.

#21 10 years ago

Sparky flasher is blinding.

Are there incandescent flashers/bulbs? Anyone?

#22 10 years ago

I just wiped my playfield with novus 1, wiped off residue with another rag, its playing nice & fast + also seems to have stopped air balls off the right sling

#23 10 years ago

No where in any documentation Stern or JJP provides (to my knowledge) is waxing recommended. Cleaning yes, waxing, no.

Keeping things clean, and using good clean unscratched pinballs will do more than waxing. Waxing will obviously help, but at the cost (imo) of too-fast ball speeds and more airballs and broken plastics. Drop targets will break folks

Just my 2 cents.

#24 10 years ago

This reminds me....were your playfields waxed from the factory? My wire forms had wax on them.
    And look what I found on a hinge. Just snapped a picture today to start a thread.

20131012_125114_resized.jpg20131012_125114_resized.jpg
    #25 10 years ago
    Quoted from markmon:

The games should be waxed and should always play that way.

In your opinion.

Waxing can make the pin pretty unplayable until the wax wears off to a degree.

#26 10 years ago

There is no reason to wax cc'd PF's. It makes them much too fast. Balls start flying places they should never go, you will crack way more plastics/ramps/whatever. Wax is for non cc'd PF's IMO. Novus clean and buff with a dry paper towel is all I do, and they are super fast at that.

When I got into this I waxed my TAF once... I was firing center ramp shots so hard that I killed the upper left switch on the ramp.

The speed designed was not based on waxing.

#27 10 years ago
    Quoted from HOOKED:

And look what I found on a hinge. Just snapped a picture today to start a thread.

I have no idea what I'm looking at?

#28 10 years ago
    Quoted from RobT:

Yeah me neither??

#29 10 years ago
    Quoted from RobT:

Looks like the number for Stern tech support.....

#30 10 years ago

look at the left hinge support. Do you see hi on it? took me a bit to notice it the first few glances.

#31 10 years ago
    Quoted from Atomicboy:

The speed designed was not based on waxing.

I don't know about that. Friction on a game isn't exactly what we should shoot for considering all CC's wear down over time. A playfield should be treated like a new car with a clear coat. Some people wax them every weekend to keep them shiny hoping that little bit of extra protective coat keeps it shining that much longer, yet other car owners never wax them... ever. The difference is cars don't have pinballs running across their surface.

You choose whichever makes you happy, it's your game, and in a HUO environment it may not matter for many years, even decades, down the road. But in the end if I had a choice between purchasing a game or car from two parties, I know which type of owner I'd prefer to buy from.

#32 10 years ago
    Quoted from Baiter:

A playfield should be treated like a new car with a clear coat

Yeah because my games sit in the sun all day .

#33 10 years ago
    Quoted from Purpledrilmonkey:

No where in any documentation Stern or JJP provides (to my knowledge) is waxing recommended. Cleaning yes, waxing, no..

My NIB Tron absolutely had a sheet instructing you to wax at least monthly.

#34 10 years ago
    Quoted from McCune:

Yeah because my games sit in the sun all day .

Do you rub your balls on it all day long? Pinballs that is!

#35 10 years ago
    Quoted from markmon:

The games should be waxed and should always play that way. I suggest resistoring down the slingshots slightly and keeping things spotless and waxed.

Can you explain how to resistor down the slings, please? I assume this will fix the mega powered-ness of the slings.

#36 10 years ago

I use CP-100 pinball cleaner/polish. Its liquid and can go on the pf and all rubber parts without drying them out. I have been using on all my pins for years. I definitely notice a speed difference after application. It's much faster to apply and not as labor intensive as waxing, with no worries about build up of any kind. I highly recommend the stuff!

#37 10 years ago

I just did the same - waxed my Met Pro for the first time after owning it for about 3 months. It is SUPER fast, but I'm starting to get used to it.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/metallicaholy-crap and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.