You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

spinning_rims.gif
100_0019.JPG
100_0104.JPG
100_0107.JPG
There are 61 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
#51 10 years ago
Quoted from smassa:

This was easily fixed on my game using a metal up post like the one used in Congo and other pins. I'd say I get one rejected shot in 10 now. Now what other mechanical flaws does the Pro have since he stated "many"

See LOTR has a metal one, and it does stop the ball which is great for MET, but the right orbit still misses on LOTR. That post should have been twice as big on LOTR I think.

#52 10 years ago

It's not that I don't want it to stop the ball. I don't want the ball to hit the post then roll back into the orbit and back to the flippers.

I want it to stop the ball and head into the pops like it should.

Quoted from Hudson:

On the other hand you can also disable the up-post in the settings if you do not want it to stop the ball...

I guess I don't know how to respond? When a post designed to stop a ball and drop it into the pops inadvertently sends it back into the orbit and to the flippers, I see that as a design flaw. On every Metallica I've played, the snake shot does not work. At best, 25% bounce out, but that's dialed in, tends to be 50%+

Are there METs out there where the posts work and the snake shot doesn't bounce out, I dunno. But having two major shots not working, for me, is enough to say the game has serious mechanical issues.

Quoted from Aurich:

So you're not actually listing a bunch of flaws on the Pro.

#53 10 years ago

On LOTR, if you give that post just a little bend, it still fits through the hole and the ball makes contact every time. It's tricky but can be done.

Maybe there is something you can do to MET to make that shot better, I have no idea.

Quoted from CaptainNeo:

See LOTR has a metal one, and it does stop the ball which is great for MET, but the right orbit still misses on LOTR. That post should have been twice as big on LOTR I think.

#54 10 years ago

how can you bend it? Looked pretty solid to me and there isn't a lot of play in that hole. <-------HA see what I just said right there!

#55 10 years ago
Quoted from jalpert:

It's not that I don't want it to stop the ball. I don't want the ball to hit the post then roll back into the orbit and back to the flippers.
I want it to stop the ball and head into the pops like it should.

I guess I don't know how to respond? When a post designed to stop a ball and drop it into the pops inadvertently sends it back into the orbit and to the flippers, I see that as a design flaw. On every Metallica I've played, the snake shot does not work. At best, 25% bounce out, but that's dialed in, tends to be 50%+
Are there METs out there where the posts work and the snake shot doesn't bounce out, I dunno. But having two major shots not working, for me, is enough to say the game has serious mechanical issues.

Local METs here don't have a problem with the Snake or the post. Once in awhile the ball will come back off the post but that is not the norm and no Snake bounce out issues ever. I have noticed it is *much* easier to shoot the snake shot on a Pro vs. LE with the moving jaw. Pros seem to suck the ball in like a vacuum where the LE needs a better shot to make it.

#56 10 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

And the funny part is the 'fix' for LOTR's post is to put a rubber sleeve on it. There's an anecdote about them telling the mechanical designer that the post was too freakin' small but he wouldn't listen to the team and it went in like that anyways.

#57 10 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

how can you bend it? Looked pretty solid to me and there isn't a lot of play in that hole. <-------HA see what I just said right there!

Don't bend. Unscrew assembly under playfield. Add a washer or two at the back of machine. Tighten back down over washers . This will tilt post into lane. Add a post rubber onto post to aid in coverage.

#58 10 years ago

Back on topic . Watch video and then play ST:TNG . I know you will enjoy it.

#59 10 years ago
Quoted from RobKnapp:

Don't bend. Unscrew assembly under playfield. Add a washer or two at the back of machine. Tighten back down over washers . This will tilt post into lane. Add a post rubber onto post to aid in coverage.

this is not a bad idea. I think i'll do this along with add some shrink tube to the post. Will deaden it more and make it slightly larger. Both things should stop this from happening again.

#60 10 years ago

I owned a very nice STTNG with color DMD, LEDS, Invisaglass and wanted to love it. However I had only been playing pinball pinball for about two years and the game with my skill level was just frustrating. I played it daily for about six months and rarely had enjoyable games on it.

I later bought a Refinery Edition Met Pro that has all the powered coated legs, LEDs, specialized back box and under the cabinet lighting etc. The shots are easier and the sparky toy is awesome. It is my favorite that I own at this time. I I have LOTR, TAF, RFM, POTC and I play the MET Pro more than all the others combined.

So unless you are a very accurate shooter and have good ball skills the STTNG will leave you feeling defeated. Also with the wide body pin the shots just feel different than standard body pins. Just my opinion, your mileage may vary.

#61 10 years ago

So late in my reply, but I go to play STTNG, sadly the cannons weren't working and it occasionally had errors where it couldn't find balls as 2 were stuck in the non functional cannon, so it clearly was not a good representation.

As someone suggested, with only 2 machines, it seemed entirely too similar to the STLE I already have. To top it off, the machine I had been eying up was not in good shape and definitely needed some love. So all in all, I decided to pass on STTNG for the moment, we'll see where I land on the MET, I'm currently working on fixing my STLE that my buddy and I apparently broke will installing protectors and mods, but that is a different topic.

Thanks again for everyone's input on this subject, I do appreciate it.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 25.50
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 15.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Lighting - Interactive
Pinball Z

$ 15.00
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 93.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 700.00
Hardware
Chrome Candy

$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 1.00
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 29.90
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Haus

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 85.00
7,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Elizabethtown, KY
$ 599.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Juz PINBALL Mods

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

Lighting - Interactive
Hookedonpinball.com

7,600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Matthews, NC
$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

7,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Ronkonkoma, NY
$ 4.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 61 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/met-pro-vs-sttng-help-me-decide/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.