You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

spinning_rims.gif
100_0019.JPG
100_0104.JPG
100_0107.JPG
There are 61 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 10 years ago

Trying to decide on my next pin, I currently have STLE and am debating between a MET Pro and STTNG. I have played METLE and enjoyed it, but the hammer seemed buggy. Was given some advice that the pro place more consistently and is obviously cheaper than an LE.

For TNG, I have not played it so I don't have personal experience, but it would create a theme of ST that I already have and is more of a classic game.

Price wise, they would be similar to purchase, plus or minus.

So I'm open to thoughts, sway me one way or another

#2 10 years ago

STTNG by far.

Tons of modes, awesome animations (that look even better with a color DMD), custom voice call outs by eight original actors (+ other voices as well), twin cannons, cool wireforms, secret video modes......I could go on and on.

For me it's a no-brainer. STTNG for the win!

"Trek yourself before you wreck yourself"!

Later,
EV

#3 10 years ago

I'm going to own both. So yeah. I owned STTNG, sold it, bought it back. I've played three METs on location in my area, 2 Pro, 1 premium. The premium had very little issues with the hammer and coffin lock, so I don't know what all the stink is about, but I have no doubt it's real.

Coffin lock is a very cool gimmick....but short of the multiball starting from balls getting kicked out of the scoop (YAY ADDITIONAL PF WEAR POINT!), there's no other play difference from the pro!

Honestly, wait for the met code update, unless you have a great line on a cheap STTNG that's time-limited. Owning a STTNG, and having played 4 ST Pros, and 2 LE's at this point, I'm gonna say that while the modes are more complicated, the shots really...aren't..all that different. The big difference is on the extreme sides of the playfield...under the flipper on the right and the lock on the left. The vengeance is more fun than the Borg ship the vast majority of the time, because you don't ALWAYS play Borg Multiball on STTNG, particularly if you're trying to get Final Frontier, and even when you do, probably a large amount of the time you will not have locked a ball in the borg ship, or get a ball into it for the 3x Jackpot during Borg Multiball...which means it's just decoration.

I think Met would be a better choice for you because of variety of games in a small collection, but if you're not 100% sure, then yeah. Wait for the code update, then make a decision between it and STTNG.

#4 10 years ago
Quoted from EchoVictor:

awesome animations (that look even better with a color DMD)

That's a good point, after seeing a MB with the color DMD, it was so much cooler than not having it, that's a +1 for STTNG for sure, cannons are also an excellent plus.

There is something satisfying about electrocuting Sparky though lol

#5 10 years ago
Quoted from EchoVictor:

STTNG by far.
Tons of modes, awesome animations (that look even better with a color DMD), custom voice call outs by eight original actors (+ other voices as well), twin cannons, cool wireforms, secret video modes......I could go on and on.
For me it's a no-brainer. STTNG for the win!
"Trek yourself before you wreck yourself"!
Later,
EV

STTNG. Best overall complete package in all of pinball. It has everything. MET doesn't even have mystery awards at this point...

#6 10 years ago

STTNG by far. It's a top 5 game of all time. MET pro is a shell of a game with no code, boring layout, and a bunch of mechanical flaws that keep it from being a good game.

#7 10 years ago

Having STLE and STTNG in a two pin collection would make it look like you are a real Star Trek fan. Are you? The only reason to get MET is if you are a fan of the band Metallica (otherwise there are better choices to pair with STLE). Are you? I have always bought what I like regardless of what others think of my choices. Get what you like.

#8 10 years ago

I have owned both and still own MetPro. That is a tough one....

STTNG is a pro player's game with horrible outlanes and the need for precise shots and ball control. Otherwise, the game is awesome, top 5-10 all time.

MetPro is very fast with numerous multiballs and lots of frenetic action. Not deep yet, but code change is coming......we hope.....

Both have great audio and callouts and look great. Again, tough choice and it may come down to personal preference.

#9 10 years ago

I am Torn on this .. I own a met Premium and a STTNG . you asked for Met pro vs STTNG . i would go Met Premium/pro over STTNG but only due to Having to keep STTNG in tip top health can be a chore sometimes.ok allot of times . so the MET pro with the advantage .. As far as game play i lean on STTNG though i know when code released i will have a issue with rating both / one better than another and will just keep both . Sold STTNG once and i can 99.5 percent say i will never part with it again as it is my grail.... So in short Met pro over STTNG for the win

#10 10 years ago

Thanks for all the replies guys, seems it's fairly evenly split between what people think.

Quoted from littlecammi:

Having STLE and STTNG in a two pin collection would make it look like you are a real Star Trek fan. Are you? The only reason to get MET is if you are a fan of the band Metallica (otherwise there are better choices to pair with STLE). Are you? I have always bought what I like regardless of what others think of my choices. Get what you like.

Yes, I'm a ST fan, and I'm a fringe Metallica fan, having said that, after playing METLE, I was very interested in buying one until I read of some of the issues and got some plays on STLE.

Quoted from Frax:

Honestly, wait for the met code update, unless you have a great line on a cheap STTNG that's time-limited.

Maybe not cheap, but in the $3500 range, which from what I've read, is cheaper than most, but there is a time crunch on it.

Quoted from PinFever:

i would go Met Premium/pro over STTNG but only due to Having to keep STTNG in tip top health can be a chore sometimes.ok allot of times . so the MET pro with the advantage

This is a good point, I'm a newbie here, so less maintenance is a good thing as well and I've heard STTNG is heavy on the fixes.

#11 10 years ago

I would get the STTNG now, and wait on Metallica. It will be available new or like new for a long time, and it is probably better to wait until it is complete before buying. That being said, I recently offered my STTNG and another game up for trade for a Met Premium. I didn't get any takers, and I am not unhappy about that. Right now, I want to play Met more than STTNG, but that may be because I have to travel at least 100 miles to play one.

I would get the STTNG, and then see if you like the star treks enough to keep both. If not, sell or trade one of them for MET when it is finished.

#12 10 years ago

In all honesty....if you have a Stern Star Trek...buy something else altogether.

STTNG is real good as we all know, but it's too similar to the Stern ST IMHO.
Metallica - most of the others posts say it for me.
Just not that good, and no promise that it will be much better with the new code to be released September 2016.

I'd choose door # 3 - whatever that may end up being.

#13 10 years ago

Have you played 50 games on each machine before? If not, you shouldn't buy either.

#14 10 years ago
Quoted from Adydar:

Maybe not cheap, but in the $3500 range, which from what I've read, is cheaper than most, but there is a time crunch on it.

If it's in good condition, just buy it. You won't have any problem reselling for that if you change your mind.

*edit* wow, could this thread get any more surreal...these comments about Met sucking and it won't ever get a code update sure are reminiscent of early Tron threads lmao...

#15 10 years ago

My vote is for Met Pro. It's just a lot of fun IMO. I had a STTNG and found it to be a very frustrating game.

There's a lot of talk of the Met Code, but I think it plays great. Sure, there is room for improvement, but I'd still keep mine for sure even if I knew there would never be a code update.

Good luck on your purchase!

#16 10 years ago

STTNG would sell better if you didn't like it. Had both sold both. If I had to choose STTNG all day long

#17 10 years ago
Quoted from patrickvc:

STTNG would sell better if you didn't like it.

Quoted from Frax:

If it's in good condition, just buy it. You won't have any problem reselling for that if you change your mind.

Good points, buying it and trying it for a few weeks and then deciding may be an option as well.

Quoted from CaptainNeo:

Have you played 50 games on each machine before? If not, you shouldn't buy either.

While in theory this is sound advice, finding someplace to get 50 plays on each is not an insignificant undertaking, however, your point is taken.

#18 10 years ago

Play both the games in person and use that to make your decision.
I am a fan of Star Trek and played a STTNG for the first time this weekend and did not care for it all that much. It was OK, but I wouldn't buy one personally. Everybody has their own tastes and what gets it for them in a game. Theme, flow, rules, toys, etc...

You have already played a MET, so now go find a STTNG and play it. You may play it and love it or maybe not. Until you do play it, I wouldn't make a purchase without a test drive...

#19 10 years ago
Quoted from Adydar:

While in theory this is sound advice, finding someplace to get 50 plays on each is not an insignificant undertaking, however, your point is taken.

Finding one on location is kinda difficult if you don't live in WI/IL, but finding a collector to play some games on, isn't really that hard. Usually we have groups in all spots. And most are more than happy to have people over to play games.

#20 10 years ago
Quoted from jalpert:

MET pro is a shell of a game with no code, boring layout, and a bunch of mechanical flaws that keep it from being a good game.

What are the mechanical flaws on the Pro? If you meant the hammer I'd get it, but obviously not.

#21 10 years ago

ST:TNG is one of the best.A tad bit tricky to add LED's . But easier than DATA EAST to LED.

100_0107.JPG100_0107.JPG 100_0104.JPG100_0104.JPG
#23 10 years ago

Being you own STLE I believe Metallica Pro would be a better choice. STTNG is great on its own but a bit slower for the same layout as STLE....STLE to me is about 80% the same as STTNG.

I have Sttng, STLE and Metallica. After playing the Metallica LE I would honestly say I don't see the benefit.
I would buy a Pro add speakers - spinners and mods you like (trim etc) and pocket the balance.

#24 10 years ago
Quoted from HOOKED:

I would buy a Pro add speakers - spinners and mods you like (trim etc) and pocket the balance.

What do you mean by adding spinners ? PS you do great work HOOKED , peace !!

#25 10 years ago
Quoted from RobKnapp:

spinning_rims.gifspinning_rims.gif

#26 10 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

What are the mechanical flaws on the Pro? If you meant the hammer I'd get it, but obviously not.

MET's biggest mechanical flaw is how Stern Cheapened out on the double controlled gates at the top of the playfield. Instead of gates, they use that cheap ass IM nylon post. Which blows serious ass. Ball bounces off of it from either direction and sends it flying back down the orbit. Which on the pro...fine. Go cheap. but they did it on the premiums and the LE's. If your charging 2 -3 K more for the damn game, you can't tell me you can splurge for $12 worth of double controlled metal gates at the top of the playfield.

#27 10 years ago
Quoted from RobKnapp:

This is a quick vid of my protos- sold them as mods with decals. All parts can be had through pinballlife.com. Just need to get with Terry to order brackets then make a decal for it.

#28 10 years ago

Not a fan of STTNG at all--clunky layout no matter how it's adjusted. I hate the obstructed outlanes and troublesome cannons. Good theme but not fun for me. I enjoy how MET plays, not sure o longevity. My advice would be to get a cool, deep, strategic game with a very original layout and incredible shot integration. Like WPT.

#29 10 years ago

STTNG not clunky.. TZ / FT/ X men are all clunky . get off the STTNG clunky train . It flows . Clunky = no flow . get it right Man!!!

#30 10 years ago

This is one of those incredibly rare threads where everyone makes valid points on each pin.

Now, ignore all of us and do what you feel is best.
It's your money.
STTNG, however, will always resell well.

#31 10 years ago
Quoted from ejg10532626:

This is one of those incredibly rare threads where everyone makes valid points on each pin.

Now, ignore all of us and do what you feel is best.
It's your money.
STTNG, however, will always resell well.

I'm glad I could bring a rare thread out for everyone

I found a location for STTNG, I'm going to give it some plays tonight, we'll see what my thoughts are after that. If I had to pick and everything being the same price wise, I think I'd lean MET at this point, but I'm glad to have found a location to give it a whirl....more tomorrow, thanks again everyone for their input.

#32 10 years ago

STTNG isn't a game that always clicks with people instantly, which is what makes it so great at home. Once you get the Picard maneuver down, you'll realize it's the most fun combo in pinball. Also, STTNG is great because it forces you to play the modes (at least to a certain extent). While the wizard mode isn't the best, if you don't play the modes and collect the artifacts, you will have a really low final frontier score. Some modes even have 2 artifacts like search the galaxy if you play them the right way.

Quoted from Adydar:

I found a location for STTNG, I'm going to give it some plays tonight, we'll see what my thoughts are after that.

#33 10 years ago
Quoted from jalpert:

STTNG isn't a game that always clicks with people instantly, which is what makes it so great at home.

I agree with this. It didn't shine immediately for me but it grows on you pretty quickly once you start digging into it.

Quoted from Adydar:

I found a location for STTNG, I'm going to give it some plays tonight,

It's going to be a drain monster on the left/right outlanes most likely. Just keep in mind you can get outlane extenders from (I think) pinbits that make it much more forgiving.

#35 10 years ago

You know, Stern basically flat out said the code is around two weeks away today on Metallica. You might as well wait that out and see what you think, unless you're feeling super impatient to just decided NOW. It could be incredible, and make you really sure you want it. It could be you hate what Lyman did and would rather skip it.

#36 10 years ago

You guys know better than I, but what about maintenance on the pins? Isn't STTNG a finicky machine? The topic poster just owns one NIB now.
Something to think about.
Anyway- Met Pro.

#37 10 years ago

I own both . My vote is for Star Trek the Next Generation . Metallica is a great game , But Star Trek the Next Generation is the greatest game ever made .

#38 10 years ago
Quoted from pinnyheadhead:

You guys know better than I, but what about maintenance on the pins? Isn't STTNG a finicky machine? The topic poster just owns one NIB now.
Something to think about.

i don't think anyone's denying that STTNG will require more maintenence...

Quoted from trilogybeer:

I own both . My vote is for Star Trek The Next Generation . Metallica is a great game , But Star Trek The Next Generation is the greatest game ever made .

...but this ^

also, i've played some STTNGs on location that didn't really capture the magic. the game admittedly needs some TLC to really bring it out -- LEDs done right, and some mods like colorDMD or upgraded toys. just my opinion of course.

keep in mind that sttng you play on location is old enough to drink!

#39 10 years ago
Quoted from jalpert:

STTNG by far. It's a top 5 game of all time. MET pro is a shell of a game with no code, boring layout, and a bunch of mechanical flaws that keep it from being a good game.

What are the mechanical Flaws on a Met Pro?

#40 10 years ago

Well sadly, the place I was going to play last night wasn't open when I got there, despite what their site said. I'm hoping to get another shot at it again tonight.

Unrelated to this conversation, I did get to play a bunch of RBION at another location and that was a fun game, but wouldn't be high on my current list.

#41 10 years ago
Quoted from smassa:

I asked that too. Crickets ...

#42 10 years ago
Quoted from smassa:

I can't recall hearing of any mechanical issues on the Met Pro. Maybe he's refering to the hammer/ball lock deal on the Met LE and Met Prem?

#43 10 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Funny how that worked.

I'm crossing my fingers that I'll get some STTNG plays tonight, wish me luck.

#44 10 years ago
Quoted from Adydar:

I'm crossing my fingers that I'll get some STTNG plays tonight, wish me luck.

Have fun. Don't forget that it's a widebody, it's going to feel different because of that, for better or for worse.

#46 10 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

MET's biggest mechanical flaw is how Stern Cheapened out on the double controlled gates at the top of the playfield. Instead of gates, they use that cheap ass IM nylon post. Which blows serious ass. Ball bounces off of it from either direction and sends it flying back down the orbit. Which on the pro...fine. Go cheap. but they did it on the premiums and the LE's. If your charging 2 -3 K more for the damn game, you can't tell me you can splurge for $12 worth of double controlled metal gates at the top of the playfield.

This was easily fixed on my game using a metal up post like the one used in Congo and other pins. I'd say I get one rejected shot in 10 now. Now what other mechanical flaws does the Pro have since he stated "many"

#47 10 years ago

Those posts are BS, they just don't work and they screw up the game for me. Trying to dial in the snake shot to get it to stick is a pain. The hammer that has so little movement that it looks like a tap is just silly.

Those are my main gripes. They are just so obvious, there was a lack of attention to detail or care on this game, I'm not sure which.

Quoted from smassa:

Quoted from Aurich:

Quoted from Rum-Z:

I can't recall hearing of any mechanical issues on the Met Pro. Maybe he's refering to the hammer/ball lock deal on the Met LE and Met Prem?

#48 10 years ago
Quoted from jalpert:

Those posts are BS, they just don't work and they screw up the game for me. Trying to dial in the snake shot to get it to stick is a pain. The hammer that has so little movement that it looks like a tap is just silly.
Those are my main gripes. They are just so obvious, there was a lack of attention to detail or care on this game, I'm not sure which.

So you're not actually listing a bunch of flaws on the Pro. Not trying to play gotcha, I was genuinely curious.

I'm with Neo, should have done a proper gate, but it sounds like it's basically fixable.

#49 10 years ago

On the other hand you can also disable the up-post in the settings if you do not want it to stop the ball...

I still have the original up-post on mine and when I changed out the pinballs with ones from Pinball Life.com, it actually responded better (for whatever reason, I do not know). Now 9 out of 10 times it stops and drops in the lanes for the pop bumpers as it should.

#50 10 years ago
Quoted from jalpert:

Ahhhhh yes that hammer and moving snake jaw are major issues in the Pro.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 7.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Z

$ 12.95
$ 599.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Juz PINBALL Mods

$ 29.90
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Haus

$ 15.00
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 25.50
$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Machine - For Sale
San Diego, CA
$ 29.99
Playfield - Decals
Cento Creations

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 4.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Machine - For Sale
Warner Robins, GA
$ 149.00
$ 16.00
Lighting - Other
Slap Save Creations

7,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Hot Springs, AR
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 29.95
$ 64.99
Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

7,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Elgin, OK
$ 9.95
$ 10.00
Playfield - Other
Chrome Candy

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 61 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/met-pro-vs-sttng-help-me-decide and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.