ZipperFlipper_Left.jpg
20231125_102542 (resized).jpg
20231107_203750 (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
image (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
20230910_132411 (resized).jpg
There are 691 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 14.
#1 10 years ago

I fugured i might as well start a medusa owners group as well.
Not quite as elusive as fathoms but still took me long enough to get one Thanks to another pinsider.
This is a pretty cool machine dont seem to get the love of Fathom, Centaur FG etc but still a very nice machine.

#2 10 years ago

Heres pics of mine I just swapped the p030.JPG030.JPGlayfield out on.019.JPG019.JPG016.JPG016.JPG017.JPG017.JPG018.JPG018.JPG033.JPG033.JPG

#3 10 years ago

nice especially loving the original green targets ..

#4 10 years ago

Love my medusa! So advanced for its time, and so much to do for a single ball game. I found mine is someone's home where it had sat mostly unplayed almost since new. The first appearance of zipper flippers years!

Since it has the same S&T voice as centaur, I always thought it would be cool to try it with a say it again board. Anyone do that?

#5 10 years ago

Yeah i modified mine to have reverb this isnt the board in medusa but another built the same with reverb like I did in medusa.medusa sound.jpgmedusa sound.jpg

#6 10 years ago

Nice work on that PF swap. There is a lot of stuff under that field.

#7 10 years ago

Well it was a pretty direct swap the replacement PF was complete but still needed alot of work mechs, wiring etc were hacked up and needed quite a few parts changed over.

#8 10 years ago

Got mine of a friend of a friend who bought it in storage which was in a bar for the rest if it's life
Got it dead.
The pub owner put Mylar over Mylar ugghhhhhh
It has a origional nippled back glass no flake but bubbled tried to fix it didn't do anything not hat bad when lit up
Fully works with the number 9 and Olympus 150 not working bulb inserts not working other than that it works

I love it but no space as a creatue may take its place unless I dold it down and keep it under one of the machines

image.jpgimage.jpg
image-9.jpgimage-9.jpg

#9 10 years ago

image.jpgimage.jpg
#10 10 years ago

That medusa has some potential

#11 10 years ago

Where did you get a nice looking Playfield from since you did a swap

#12 10 years ago

Just picked up my Medusa last weekend. Mint backglass and boards, cabinet is maybe an 8, playfield has some wear spots, but not bad. Man there's a lot jammed on that playfield ... You would think so, but then lift the pf up - yikes! The thought of doing a pf swap. It's a tank.

#13 10 years ago
Quoted from Pinballgeek:

Where did you get a nice looking Playfield from since you did a swap

I had a buddy get a headless medusa and black knight in one of his purchase deals and knew i was looking for a playfield so i bought the headless children from him. got lucky more than anything.. I bought both complete lowers

I can restore the other PF I have just hasnt been much ambition or time.

Quoted from pinster68:

You would think so, but then lift the pf up - yikes!

Honestly medusa isnt that bad the rear drop target and light bar assemblies unscrew unplug, then its not so bad.
Elektra and Vector machines are worse but they did fit quite a bit of stuff on a single level playfield.

#14 10 years ago
Quoted from Hellfire:

I had a buddy get a headless medusa and black knight in one of his purchase deals and knew i was looking for a playfield so i bought the headless children from him. got lucky more than anything.. I bought both complete lowers
I can restore the other PF I have just hasnt been much ambition or time.

Honestly medusa isnt that bad the rear drop target and light bar assemblies unscrew unplug, then its not so bad.
Elektra and Vector machines are worse but they did fit quite a bit of stuff on a single level playfield.

I'm good with it ... makes me feel like I got my money's worth ... and makes me feel today's Stern pins are 'so little for so much'.

#15 10 years ago
Quoted from pinster68:

I'm good with it ... makes me feel like I got my money's worth ... and makes me feel today's Stern pins are 'so little for so much'.

I couldnt agree more. even some of the WPC games are so dinky it seems in comparison the old ballys are built like tanks.
Its seems in the SS Bally pins they focused on more gameplay features than they did on toys like the newer games.
Ide like to see what these new sterns will look like in 30 years lol.

#16 10 years ago

And to go off on a tangent: Think of all the CPU customizations possible with old pins to modernize the rules, sounds, etc.. Think of Paragon amped up with digital sound, additional rules, light shows and callouts. I'm pretty good with sticking to original, but it's fun to think of the possibilities.

#17 10 years ago

I get mine on Monday, can't wait!

#18 10 years ago
Quoted from Xenon75:

I get mine on Monday, can't wait!

You wont be dissapointed one of my favorite if not my favorite SS bally. when its polished up waxed and working its a harder game. since i minwaxed and shopped the new pf i cant hardly break a million anymore.
Either the game is that good now or i just gotten suck that bad a playing lol. i hardly get to play and enjoy them much anymore its usualy more work than play now for me restoring them.

#19 10 years ago
Quoted from pinster68:

Think of all the CPU customizations possible with old pins to modernize the rules, sounds, etc.. Think of Paragon amped up with digital sound, additional rules, light shows and callouts. I'm pretty good with sticking to original, but it's fun to think of the possibilities.

Well Medusa sounds pretty good already but im with you. there is always room for some improvements.
its nice to have some functional mads instead of the typical toy mods everyone seems to gravitate twards .
but then again thinking up and making mods is fun to I like to have different stuff than everyone else.

#20 10 years ago

If anyone has one for sale in good shape please let me know. I beg you.

#21 10 years ago

I just picked one up this past weekend. It is in 100% working condition with the playfield looking pretty good with no wear. I am looking for anyone that would happen to have the original "Olympus" targets (2 green and 1 red). Also, would like to get a new better apron then what I have so if anyone has one that is in very good to NOS condition let me know!

#22 10 years ago
Quoted from meSz:

I just picked one up this past weekend. It is in 100% working condition with the playfield looking pretty good with no wear. I am looking for anyone that would happen to have the original "Olympus" targets (2 green and 1 red). Also, would like to get a new better apron then what I have so if anyone has one that is in very good to NOS condition let me know!

If you find a source for targets please share the info.

My targets are red, with the center being a bullseye semi-transparent target. Funny thing is I don't know what they're supposed to look like. If you look at the Chris Hutchins Medusa restore they're all solid red. http://christopherhutchins.com/gallery/album344/41_G?full=1

#23 10 years ago
Quoted from pinster68:

If you find a source for targets please share the info.
My targets are red, with the center being a bullseye semi-transparent target. Funny thing is I don't know what they're supposed to look like. If you look at the Chris Hutchins Medusa restore they're all solid red. http://christopherhutchins.com/gallery/album344/41_G?full=1

My machine also has the solid red targets on it, like the one Chris did, but if you look at the Medusa flyer the targets are just like what Hellfire has on his machine. Issue is, these targets most have been only used on the Medusa or a few games at best as no one has them available. Appears that the only way to get them is by finding someone that has some NOS, used ones or to have them remade. I started to look into having them remade but I dont have an orginal one to go off of.

#24 10 years ago

I had/have some of these targets but only one green one left but it already has a crack on the bottom so prolly wont last long if used but im keeping it as a back up for my medusa.
BAA did have the amber ones about 4 years ago but think i bought them out at the time. my Medusa had the original red rectangular one yet but i had to convert the 2 sides to greens i had to be right.

I suppose the best way to get them is to contact marco and make requests they are asking for unique items to start making and carrying. Opaque green plastic one peice can or were available at BAA prolly a bit more accurate than the red. but the standard transparent green rivited ones are closest you will get to original atm.

i been trying to talk marco into making these someone is making the opaque ones still for older games. If i can get them to have a bunch made i will convert all my machines to them they look so much nicer than the others.
None are for sale but here are some of the extras i have from an elektra. i offered to lend them to marco etc to get them reproduced.targets.jpgtargets.jpg

#25 10 years ago

Thanks for the additional pictures Hellfire. I sent an email to Marco so we'll see what they have to say. CPR is going to reproduce the Medusa playfield so the demand to have these targets will, I would think, increase as people are going to want to have what was originally on the game.

#26 10 years ago

Here are some Pictures of the original style medusa top stand up targets closer up if this helps you out.001.JPG001.JPG002.JPG002.JPG005.JPG005.JPG

#27 10 years ago

I received the following response from Marco "We do not make the targets, but you might try Steve Young at the Pinball resource. He does the hot stamping on the targets.". I emailed Steve and am awaiting a response.

#28 10 years ago

Yeah they dont make em but they can custom order them if they know who makes them.
Ive also been after them to get the 3 1/8" translucent red lane guides for centaur as well.

#29 10 years ago
Quoted from Hellfire:

Here are some Pictures of the original style medusa top stand up targets closer up if this helps you out.

001.JPG 1 MB

002.JPG 1 MB

005.JPG 1 MB

NICE ... so that's how it's supposed to look.

#30 10 years ago

Received an email back from Steve at Pinball Resource:

"I understand what you are looking for and have been unable to find either stock or the mold.
This type of target stalk was originally made by Wico in Chicago. I have some of them in incorrect colors from old stock we have acquired from old inventory from Wico's closure as well as other distributors closing their doors. Wico's tooling has been, for the most part, lost. They stopped paying their computer bills and the computer vendor pulled the plug on the "map" of where tooling was located for what part....we sometimes stumble across their tooling but there is no organized way to locate something when looking for it.

So...this puts us into fabricating tooling, which is expensive and only warranted when there will be sufficient demand to get a return from what is probably a $5-7,000 expendature....2 different target heads are needed and a bunch of colors have to be made.The heads may be designed into a interchangeable base, but that is for the mold designer and the molder to decide. My experience with this target type does not lead me to believe there is sufficient demand to invest in this tool at this time".

Thought it was nice detailed explanation!

#31 10 years ago

Yeah Steve is treasure trove of info. I was looking for the same targets as well, I settled for the translucent green round data east target for the 2 greens and a similarly shaped non translucent red for the center target. It will get me by until these are ever reproduced.

#32 10 years ago

Anyone ever try these alternatives? Available via Pinball Life and Little Shop of Games.

515-5966-04.jpg515-5966-04.jpg ztarg114.jpgztarg114.jpg
#33 10 years ago
Quoted from pinster68:

Anyone ever try these alternatives? Available via Pinball Life and Little Shop of Games.

ztarg114.jpg 22 KB

515-5966-04.jpg 19 KB

Not original but an hell of a good option!!!

#34 10 years ago
Quoted from meSz:

Not original but an hell of a good option!!!

Indeed. Now that I see what was supposed to be there I want to change what I have out. Two solid red targets left and right ... one pale semi-transparent red bullseye target in the center. Not bad ... just think it'll look better with new transparent targets.

#35 10 years ago

The last 24 hours of tech-time on my Medusa were quite productive.

Problems: Weak right mini flipper, no GI in the upper left, no flipper illumination (the four lights below the pf), and an odd short when the coin door was fully closed - it caused the several controlled lights to lock on and you couldn't credit-up.

Here's what I found:

1) Mini flipper pawl was adjusted too low. So it was hanging up on the end-of-stroke switch. All fixed.
2) GI wire disconnected on the right mini flipper. Repaired and -poof- the GI returned to the top left "Neptunes Cove" area
3) I never attached the ground wire from the main cab into the backbox. Not sure if this was the reason for the coin door short ... but the symptoms are gone.

Now my last couple of pesky issues:

1) If I understand the rules, the center target (when lit) should deduct from your bonus score. Mine seems unresponsive.
2) The two target bulbs (upper left and right) are dead. I think I understand why ... it's damn impossible to change those bulbs without removing the playfield ... or perhaps removing the two targets from below, then replacing them right from top-side.

That's it. Love this pin. such a beautiful work of art. I suspect CPR will have a playfield out in the future. I'm all in - but have to say my pf looks pretty good for 30+ years.

#36 10 years ago
Quoted from pinster68:

I suspect CPR will have a playfield out in the future.

Regarding the pf being done by CPR, the artist that did the artwork for the Medusa pf has advised me that he has finished all of the artwork and will be turning it in to CPR soon. He is hoping to see this in late 2014. He also is doing the center plastic in the middle of the pf as well. So anyone with this machine has the option to have a NEW, although it be a reproduction (doesnt matter to me), playfield, backglass and center pf plastic!

#37 10 years ago
Quoted from meSz:

Regarding the pf being done by CPR, the artist that did the artwork for the Medusa pf has advised me that he has finished all of the artwork and will be turning it in to CPR soon. He is hoping to see this in late 2014. He also is doing the center plastic in the middle of the pf as well. So anyone with this machine has the option to have a NEW, although it be a reproduction (doesnt matter to me), playfield, backglass and center pf plastic!

That's great news. I'm patient. I'm thinking if the artwork was turned in that a CPR preorder announcement will be soon.

#38 10 years ago

Medusa is a great game - perhaps my favorite Bally. It is both gorgeous and interesting to play. Nudging to avoid the outlanes is very hard...
Only reason I am actively seeking one is that a friend already has it... I can play it! (and no hope he would sell it...)

#39 10 years ago
Quoted from Hellfire:

Yeah i modified mine to have reverb this isnt the board in medusa but another built the same with reverb like I did in medusa.

Hellfire, is this something you made yourself or something that can be purchased? What are the benefits/features of it?

#40 10 years ago

This thread makes me very, very sad.

#41 10 years ago
Quoted from bigduke6:

Why is that ? You got a Medusa! Is it broken?

#42 10 years ago
Quoted from bigduke6:

You sold yours didn't you!??

#43 10 years ago

Hellfire has it. He's got the talent to make it better than new and he will. But damn, I miss that pin.

#44 10 years ago

Btw- There was a " naughty" back glass for sale at expo, $150

#45 10 years ago

Put some more work in on my Medusa tonight. Replaced the three pesky bulbs on the backboard using forceps and a bit of duct table to pluck them out.

Almost done with bulb issues. My "same players shoots again" is out ... I suspect the transistor on the driver board.

Then there's those two odd-ball bulbs on the bottom side of the pf. One is now working, but the other by the left sling is out. I don't know why they're there ... but it's out, and I need to figure out why......

Put at least two dozen games on her tonight, including a high score of 1.3million. I have no idea if that's considered good for 3-ball, but I'm happy.

image-846.jpgimage-846.jpg

#46 10 years ago

Outside of the information in the manual is there somewhere that list all the shots and the "rules" to Medus? Like the "cheat sheet" you see online for games like TSPP etc!

#47 10 years ago

Found this old thread on RGP, and bumped it for more info. No rulesheet to my knowledge, but good info in the thread that gets us mostly there to understanding what's what.

http://rgparchive-removed.com/rgpforum/showthread.php?t=101032

Enjoy,

Brian

1 week later
#48 10 years ago

Guys just to follow-up on my quest to get the "Olympus" targets reproduced, I sent an email to Rick at Planetary to see if this was a possibility. Rick advised "We can look into, but not sure we have good enough samples to make, and if it will be easy as transparent usually cracks". I advised him that several people are currently looking for these and with CPR reproducing the playfield that they would be in more of a demand. Lastly, I know there are a few other machines that this style of target was used but I wasn't certain as to which ones.

#49 10 years ago

Great machine. I don't own one......yet.

#50 10 years ago

You can also see a very detailed breakdown of all the rules in the Pinball Arcade version (IOS, Android, PS3, etc.).

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 10.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

$ 139.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Pimp

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 8.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

$ 25.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

£ 195.00
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
West Point, UT
$ 22.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 30.00
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

$ 69.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Shark

There are 691 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 14.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/medusa-owners-club and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.