image.jpg
image.jpg
lwjp-u3.png
image-669.jpg
image-672.jpg
image.jpg
image-163.jpg
image.jpg
There are 81 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 10 years ago

So I had a snagger issue. The drop target wouldn't drop. Finally found a wire (white with green stripe) had broke off the snagger coil assembly. I soldered that wire back on. Tested the game. The game booted and coil 4 I think for the snagger drop target kept firing, the start button would not start a game and the launch button started a game.

I replaced the bridge rectifier, bridge21 for 5v, and connected te game back. Checked the drop target assbly, found the diode going across the coil touching the nut, so I bent that over so it wasn't touching. The game boots with a random coil error but it went so fast I couldn't read. Start button doesn't work. I went into the menu, the menu buttons on the door are almost turbo charged. They are pressed and fire multiple times. Here is the switch test of active switches. As you can see many are active without being touched.

Any ideas?

image.jpgimage.jpg image-163.jpgimage-163.jpg
#2 10 years ago

Something wired wrong, something shorted.

Maybe remove the white wire with green stripe and see if things improve. That might help with what is wrong.

LTG : )

#3 10 years ago

Ok I'll remove the white w/ green stripe wire from the snagger drop target and test again.

Thank Lloyd! I'll post back!

#4 10 years ago

I removed that wire from the snagger drop assembly. Issue still is there. I scanned the wire all the way to the start button etc. I don't see any breaks. I did find the transistor that it connects to, Q4. Could that be a problem if it is failed?

Also there is a Bridge Rectifier for the coils, I can try testing the + and - on that. But if I cannot start a game, is it active?

#5 10 years ago

Okay update as of last night. Turned the game on to show the gf. Game worked without issue, except the snagger doesn't function.

Snagger drop target is all soldered up.

In test the target goes down and up. In test of the snagger I can poke the drop to make it go down. Then I can make the vehicle snagger go down and up.

In game, ball lock initiates. Ball hits the upper magnet, drops to lower magnet, you hear the snagger work but nothing moves. The drop target does no go down. The drop has to go down for the snagger to work. I have locked the ball and poked the drop target with my finger and it still doesn't work.

There are optos on this snagger, if I power it up they should be lit red ya? Is there a test for optos?

#6 10 years ago
Quoted from northvibe:

if I power it up they should be lit red ya? Is there a test for optos?

Yes, and switch test, pass something between them.

#7 10 years ago

Hahah, let it begin!

image.jpgimage.jpg
#8 10 years ago
Quoted from northvibe:

Hahah, let it begin!

Those guys won't show up red.

#9 10 years ago

You are correct. But both work and I cleaned them.

#10 10 years ago

Freaking a. Looks like the coil that drops the target down, doesn't work in test. The reset test works, but that only seems to pop it up.

The solder on the coil looks fine, could it be a transistor? Q20

#11 10 years ago

I ran this test pin mike posted near the bottom

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-to-test-a-transistor

Put the red on the middle pin and tried the black on both other legs. Nothing. Tried a different transistor and it worked. So I think it may be a bad transistor.

Edit: Tip102's on order

1 week later
#12 10 years ago

Soldered a new tip102 on Q20. No affect. Coil still doesn't fire.

My gf starts playing a game and the lock snagger worked once. Then threw a coil error and hasn't worked. I tested the coil contacts and I get almost 10v on idle and when fired almost 20v. So there is power at the coil. So either a bad coil or the transistor that goes across the legs?

#13 10 years ago

Ordered a new coil/diode, 32-1800 part.

#14 10 years ago

HA. got the new drop target down coil, p/n 32-1800, comes with diode between the legs. Working now, even in test. BUT now the drop target is having a hard time staying up. I ordered new spring (265-5003-00), drop target (545-5533-01) and target coil sleeve (545-5809-00). That should help the target assembly work a little smoother.

I found an old broken drop target in the back of the cab. So I ordered new ones just in case. The spring for it feels pretty worn, so not a bad part to keep on hand either. The sleeve looks and feels dirty. I will also tweak the height adjustment bracket for the coil/drop target. Glad this snagger bs is figured out

2 weeks later
#15 10 years ago

Parts are in. I will install them soon, day or two, and post back results. The game worked for a couple games last night, but then the drop target freaked out and wouldn't stay up.

#16 10 years ago

You probably have a frayed wire that needs to be replaced going to the coil, but it doesn't show itself in tests because it has to be in just the right spot to stop/start working. Been there with my JP T-Rex bite coil. Rewired that and solved all my problems.

#17 10 years ago

There were a few frayed wires. I wrapped the fray sections in electrical tape. The actual wire was intact. It felt like the plastic drop wasn't sticking when it was shot up?? So I have the new parts. I'll check all the wires again, while I'm in there and see how the new spring and drop are. Damn wires!!! they are all over!!

#18 10 years ago

You should replace those wires immediately. I'm willing to bet that will solve your problem.

#19 10 years ago

For replacing wires, you just cut the section out and solder in a new section?

The new drop target and spring have fixed the issue. snagger and drop target are fully working

#20 10 years ago

I just replace the bad section, yes. Glad that target worked for you.

#21 10 years ago

Bah it is back to being picky. Keeps firing like the target can't stay up. I may need to tweak the drop coil so it has more room.

1 week later
#22 10 years ago

Ok so update. New stand up target and spring installed. It was firing over and over again because the stand up wasn't catching properly. Adjusted the height of the up coil bracket. Also the bracket that pushes it down on the top coil I think I was able to adjust. I'll look again.

#23 10 years ago

don't mind me...

#24 10 years ago
Quoted from northvibe:

don't mind me...

BAH never mind. Thought I used the wrong fet. But drop target coil uses TIP122 (Q20 on board), low circuit. The high circuit uses the IRF540. I thought it used the IRF540 and I put the wrong one in.

http://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Sega/Stern_White_Star_Repair#Can_an_IRF540_replace_a_P20N10L.2C_P22NE10L_or_an_IRL540.3F

still not functioning right

#25 10 years ago

Omg could I have the wires on the coil backward?

#26 10 years ago

Machine has power, coil fires and stays on. Power off is what makes the coil stop.

Violet yellow is transistor driver
Brown is power, 20v

Brown is on cathode side

Tested the resistor and diode behind q20. Look good. I did a quick test on the tip102 transistor and that tests fine.

I have new roms on the way. The only thing I can think of is the wire has a break or ground out in it? Continuity test, do I have to unsolder the wire from the coil to get an accurate reading?

image-672.jpgimage-672.jpg image-669.jpgimage-669.jpg
5 months later
#27 9 years ago

update:

I was down at the pinball warehouse and spoke with Aaron about this issue. He mentioned replacing the diode on my drop target coil AND the transistor at the same time. Good idea. So I swapped out the transistor and went to do my diode on the coil.....turns out the small coil has a different diode than "normal 1n4004". The small coil has a diode of 1N4002. Just ordered some....more waiting.

#28 9 years ago

You can use 1N4004 in place of a 1N4002.

#29 9 years ago

K...I was confused as the manual says 1N4004 but the coil I bought as a replacement came with 1N4002. They have different parameters, so I was worried the 4004 would not work?

#30 9 years ago

Actually I think you can sub 4001 - 4007. All the pretty much the same.

#31 9 years ago

Threw a 1N4004 on the coil. Still having the same issue. Coil is on constant when the high voltage power is on.

Can anyone with a LWJP confirm during play if the coil should be "on" or off? I thought it would be off when playing and when it had to force the drop target down, for ball pickup via the snagger, it would enable the coil so the bracket would hit the plastic drop and knock it down. Having it on the entire game seems like it would create too much heat.

#32 9 years ago

I'm not real familiar with the game, but I think the coil should be off as you stated above. Unless your new transistor is bad, or was damaged during replacement, your circuit is going to ground somewhere. Make sure the diode band is on the power side of coil.

#33 9 years ago

This issue is haunting me..

I appreciate the help, I'm freaking completely lost at this point

I've changed the transistor 5+ times. Q20
New coil w/ diode
changed diode on coil
Tested continuity on power wire (violet yellow)
Changed roms
Changed transistor and coil diode at the same time

Aaron said to take voltage at coil leg with power on, but I kind of forgot how he told me to go about it, so I won't do that until confirmed.

Some forum posts said the ic chip before the transistor can fail causing issues like this, but it is very uncommon. I don't know what else to test/change. I can only think now, to get a spare I/O board and test...I'm totally out of ideas except lighting it on fire

#34 9 years ago

I have the schematic for Q20 posted above... I see there are 2 resisters, one before and one after, and a diode (high speed) before. I can swap those. I seem to have bad luck testing with DMM when the diode is on the board still. Once I take them off they test properly.

#35 9 years ago

My best advice is to slow down and take a deep breath. You've replaced a transistor 5+ times. You risk damaging the board and making things worse. Let's take a systematic approach and figure out where things are going wrong. Please stop replacing things you think are wrong, and focus on component isolation to figure out what is exactly broken.

Test power at the coil. Black lead on ground strap anywhere on the game. Red lead (one at a time) on each lug. Report back your voltage.

Marc

#36 9 years ago
Quoted from northvibe:

Threw a 1N4004 on the coil. Still having the same issue. Coil is on constant when the high voltage power is on.
Can anyone with a LWJP confirm during play if the coil should be "on" or off? I thought it would be off when playing and when it had to force the drop target down, for ball pickup via the snagger, it would enable the coil so the bracket would hit the plastic drop and knock it down. Having it on the entire game seems like it would create too much heat.

Coils always have voltage applied to their lugs. What is missing is a connection to ground to actually turn the solenoid on. The transistors job is to create the path to ground and activate the coil, but as it has been explained in this thread, if anything else is grounding the coil, you'll end up with a coil that is stuck on. This can be a chip upstream of the transistor, of the coil itself if improperly installed can short on a piece of metal, or it can internally short if the windings fail, or are damaged from vibration/heat.

If the coil is stuck on, it will melt in a few minutes and blow the transistor and the associated fuse. You cannot miss it when it happens. It cooks and starts to melt the paper/plastic bobbin.

Marc

#37 9 years ago
Quoted from pintechev:

My best advice is to slow down and take a deep breath. You've replaced a transistor 5+ times. You risk damaging the board and making things worse. Let's take a systematic approach and figure out where things are going wrong. Please stop replacing things you think are wrong, and focus on component isolation to figure out what is exactly broken.
Test power at the coil. Black lead on ground strap anywhere on the game. Red lead (one at a time) on each lug. Report back your voltage.
Marc

haha I make it sound like I'm more fired up than I really am. Just annoyed and newer ish at this deep of a repair.... but anyway. I used the sega/whitestar pinwiki and worked through the troubleshooting guide. Replacing the transistor was the 1st step to that kind of issue. Did that a couple times just to verify. Then the coil/diode was replaced. Then Aaron had mentioned they can blow each other out if one is bad and the other is replaced, so did the change out again. I of course worry that doing too many replacements of the transistor could be bad...

Ok, so moving forward. I'll get the results from testing the coil and post up! I appreciate your help! I'll test that tonight Oh yeah I didn't want the coil to overheat so I don't leave the game on long at all when it is powered up for testing.

#38 9 years ago

Transistors are testable. You replace them when the test bad, or when you have narrowed every other piece of the circuit out and all that is left is the transistor (this happens when the part tests fine without load, and fails during real gameplay.)

#39 9 years ago

True, but seriously for some reason everything I test when it is in the board does not work right... I'll test everything again.

Transistors, diodes and Bridge rectifiers test with power off, correct?
Testing the coil as you said above, have power on, ya?

I can't wait to leave work and test this...

#40 9 years ago
Quoted from northvibe:

True, but seriously for some reason everything I test when it is in the board does not work right... I'll test everything again.
Transistors, diodes and Bridge rectifiers test with power off, correct?

Yes.

Testing the coil as you said above, have power on, ya?

Yes. Coin door closed to make sure high power is enabled.

I can't wait to leave work and test this...

#41 9 years ago

transistor TIP 122
- red on middle leg with black on the two ends - each reads .3 and keeps climbing
- black on middle leg with red on two ends - each go to 0

resistor before
22k r204 - tested = 7.08 ohms

620 R20 - tested = .617 ohms

diode before
D203 1n4148 - tests = .533

coil legs:
With game ON
20v power - brown 21.1v ish
driver - violet/yellow 3.3v ish

other coils using the brown 20v line work fine, ie. snagger egg opening. I can test later again to verify.

1 week later
#42 9 years ago

Friday Bump!

#43 9 years ago

Wellllll, how dirty do you want to get your hands?

The way to properly diagnose this is to buy a logic probe, they run about $20. http://www.amazon.com/Elenco-Electronics-LP-560-Logic-Probe/dp/B000Z9HAP4/ Using that, you can then see if the game is commanding the transistor to fire, or if it's shorted on. (My money is on a broken U3, but I don't like to replace chips unless I have firm evidence to suggest they need replacing.)

Also check R203, that it's there and actually connected to ground & Q20. Without that, it'll lock on.

(Finally, if you want to do a good deed, make a good B&W scan of your manual & upload it to the ipdb. The current copy is near illegible when looking at the schematics, far FAR worse than yours!)

#44 9 years ago

I have a logic probe I'll give it a shot. I also have a scanner...flat glass one, I could try making a scan of it all.

#45 9 years ago

Well then, hook it to +5 and then compare the output of U3 pin 9 to U3 pins (take your pick) 2,5,6,12,15,16, or 19. I'm willing to bet it's different, in which case U3 has gone bad.

#46 9 years ago

Ok, logic probe
These chips legs are pinned/labeled weird...not like a normal chip.. What I gather, the last 8 legs are the #Q , so the first two on the top row are blank. Leaving pin 9 = 4Q

Pin 2 = Q17 = flash in egg
Pin 5 = Q18 = snagger driver
Pin 6 = Q19 = snagger motor relay
Pin 9 = Q20 = drop target down
Pin 12 = Q21 = Dino egg
Pin 15 = Q22 = flash L ramp
Pin 16 = Q23 = flash pops
Pin 19 = Q24 = optional coin meter

The brown power line is shared between Q18-21
Results:
Pin 2 =low fast pulse
Pin 5 = low slow pulse
Pin 6 = low
Pin 9 = low
Pin 12 = low with pulse
Pin 15 = low with fast pulse
Pin 16 = low
Pin 19 = high

When powering off game the 18v led stays on for a heck of a long time while no other one does, just incase that means anything.

#47 9 years ago
Quoted from northvibe:

Ok, logic probe
These chips legs are pinned/labeled weird...not like a normal chip.. What I gather, the last 8 legs are the #Q , so the first two on the top row are blank. Leaving pin 9 = 4Q

I'm sorry but I can't make heads nor tails of this description.

The chip legs are numbered just like every other DIP/SOIC/SOP/TSSOP. With the notch going up, pin 1 is upper left. Pin 10 is lower left. Pin 11 is lower right. Pin 20 is upper right.

Pin 2 = Q17 = flash in egg
Pin 5 = Q18 = snagger driver
Pin 6 = Q19 = snagger motor relay
Pin 9 = Q20 = drop target down
Pin 12 = Q21 = Dino egg
Pin 15 = Q22 = flash L ramp
Pin 16 = Q23 = flash pops
Pin 19 = Q24 = optional coin meter
The brown power line is shared between Q18-21
Results:
Pin 2 =low fast pulse
Pin 5 = low slow pulse
Pin 6 = low
Pin 9 = low
Pin 12 = low with pulse
Pin 15 = low with fast pulse
Pin 16 = low
Pin 19 = high

Ummm, how did you test these? The proper method is to go into coil test, then freeze the game on that coil so that it repeatedly tries to fire that coil. Then put the logic probe on the pin and see what it reads.

If that's what you did to get the above, then U3 is defective and is not signaling the transistors to fire for Q19, Q20, and Q23. (If any of those work during the game, then your measurement method is incorrect and all results should be considered invalid.)

When powering off game the 18v led stays on for a heck of a long time while no other one does, just incase that means anything.

Nope, it doesn't.

#48 9 years ago

The manual gave a weird ass leg number. I'll post a pic of it.

DOH!~!! no I didn't test with the coil being fired. :-p Let me retest hahah. I'll grab the pic for you to see what I'm talking about.

Thanks!

#49 9 years ago

Ok....I see what you mean by the ipdb pdf having a bad scan. The schematics are unreadable. But Here is the screen capture.
notch is on the left by U3, Bottom row goes like 1, 3, 7,8 where the top starts at 2, 5, 6, 9, no 10, So maybe I just interpreted it incorrectly.

lwjp-u3.pnglwjp-u3.png

1 week later
#50 9 years ago

You're making a SUPER CRITICAL error here!

Schematics are a functional diagram, with functional being the key word. They are >>NOT PICTURES!<< I'm heavily emphasizing that for a reason -- you need to translate the schematic to the real world!

What I mean is this... pin 1 on the schematic is the CLR pin for that chip. It just so happens that in this schematic it's in the upper-left for U3, but it'd still be a perfectly valid schematic drawing and SHOW THE EXACT SAME INFORMATION (and function no differently!) if it were drawn coming out of the lower-right corner! As long as the pin number (1) followed along with moving pin 1 from the upper-left to the lower right along with it. If you look at schematics long enough you'll see some chips drawn with pins coming out the top and bottom of them even when they only have physical pins on the sides! It's not a mistake, it's simply whoever made that schematic ran out of room on the sides (or wanted more space to make it legible) so they drew those pins coming out the top and bottom.

That's why every single pin number on that chip is marked -- it literally has to be marked! This also affords designers the flexibility where if a chip is available in two styles (say, a two rows of pins and a four sided surface mount) you can use the same set of schematics to diagnose both. The functional diagram is the same while the physical layout is different.

So again on the *physical chip* with notch up, pin 1 is upper-left hand corner of the chip, pin 10 is lower left, pin 11 is lower right, pin 20 is upper right. Now match the physical chip's pin's positions with what that position is marked as on the schematic.

...and test again.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 39.00
Cabinet - Other
Arcade Upkeep

Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

Pinball Machine
Paradise Distribution

Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 18.95
$ 18.95
Cabinet - Decals
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 9,499.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 10.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

Machine - For Sale
Livermore, CA
Cabinet - Decals
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 27.95
$ 1.49
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

There are 81 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/lwjp-switch-and-coil-issue and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.