(Topic ID: 71688)

Louisville Arcade Expo March 7-9 2014

By LouMatt

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_20140309_111327_962-301.jpg
    IMG_20140308_204918_765-890.jpg
    IMG_20140309_111410_016-189.jpg
    IMG_20140309_112410_710.jpg
    IMG_20140309_112423_229.jpg
    IMG_20140309_132336_422.jpg
    P3080060.JPG
    P3080058.JPG
    20140309_184000.jpg
    IMG_0209.JPG
    IMG_0212.JPG
    IMG_20140305_183751.jpg
    IMG_20140305_183743.jpg
    IMG_1492 (800x533).jpg
    IMG_1488 (800x533).jpg
    IMG_1486 (800x533).jpg
    There are 346 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 7.
    #51 10 years ago

There is actually a pretty accurate thread on expo etiquette. I am on a cellphone otherwise I would paste it. The guy who said I paid my admission looked like Santa Claus. He would not leave my TFTC alone evem when I asked politely.

#52 10 years ago

We'll have some etiquette signs posted this year. 99% of people are courteous, but it just takes one bad apple to spoil the bunch. Sorry to hear that bad apple looked like Santa. That is traumatic.

Thanks again to all the people bringing games. Should be another great show.

#53 10 years ago

Any links/info to the tournament rules or format? Looking forward to attending for the first time.

#54 10 years ago

The tournament is on the PAPA circuit and is run by the PAPA guys on games they bring to the show. It is 100% payout + 1000 from PAPA (PAPA rocks!). The tournament is one of the largest in the world by number of people, and we're hoping this year it will be the biggest.

There is an A division, B division and Classics. We will post the schedule soon, but qualifying is Friday and Saturday with the finals on Sunday. The classics finals may be Saturday evening.

#55 10 years ago
    Quoted from doughslingers:

Joust was the nice lady from Cincy, she brings many nice pins including AFM. I brought Rocky as I knew that was a pin many have not seen in person.

I think That was Phoebe and her Husband's game.

#56 10 years ago

That was Phoebe's.

#57 10 years ago

Any pinball seminars / speakers this year?

#58 10 years ago

is anyone gonna be spinning some nice house music again? thats the highlight for us next to the tournament
    bringing more peeps to enjoy it so we hope so.

#59 10 years ago

<<<<"Non-standard pins are fun to be able to experience. It was awesome last year seeing a Joust. I wasn't even aware of the head-to-head concept (not that I was or am a seasoned pinhead). Then I learned only something like 400 were made. That made me both very appreciative of the collector who brought it and curious how anyone manages to bring valuable gems to an expo with hordes of people, who aren't necessarily going to treat these games like they should, and not babysit their game the whole time or bite their nails when they're away.
    I know it's counter-intuitive to the expo format, but I think I'd be too OCD to be comfortable bringing a game I really cared about (all of them! ). I know you have to bring games in order for there to be games at the show, so how do collectors get over it and enjoy themselves, or is that not a problem for most? Even having 6 family members over the other day to play my games had me too anxious to be able to really relax and enjoy myself, not to mention random things kept breaking...">>>>

Yes it was my Joust, I will most likely bring it back again this year. I have taken it to alot of shows since I got it put back together after its restore. Everyone seems to like it and it is popular, so as long as folks enjoy it I will try to bring it. I'm also planning to bring my Metallica, Congo, Warlok, maybe Popeye. Not sure on others, I like to bring games folks don't see all the time.
    I really don't worry about games too much when I take them, They were made to be played. I know that some can get a bit carried away, but most are respectful of the games and know that as Futurepinhead said, There are lots of Pinheads around and everyone tends to watch out for each others games.
    Louisville has been a great show, Matt and Jeremy do a great job! Looking forward to it again this year!!

See everyone there!
    Phoebe

#60 10 years ago

I had just got my first couple of pins last year when this rolled around. I wanted to go then but I was still really new to the hobby (guess I still am now, too). I'm going to see if I can swing this. Sounds like a blast.

#61 10 years ago
    Quoted from silver_spinner:

is anyone gonna be spinning some nice house music again? thats the highlight for us next to the tournament
    bringing more peeps to enjoy it so we hope so.

We'll have a band Friday night - and Saturday night we'll have a DJ early in the evening and a DJ later in the evening. We'll post the schedule soon.

#62 10 years ago
    Quoted from unigroove:

Any pinball seminars / speakers this year?

We're still lining up the schedule and finalizing commitments, but yes.

#63 10 years ago

I'll be bringing my Vs Super Mario. 4th year running. Woooo. If my ACDC premium has not sold, I'll bring it also. Ms. Pac will return and probably Circus Charlie.

#64 10 years ago

What day is setup this year?

#65 10 years ago
    Quoted from WeirPinball:

What day is setup this year?

We'll be setting up all day Thursday, so if you can bring games Thursday after noon (gives us the morning to get the power laid out) that would be great.

#66 10 years ago
    Quoted from LouMatt:

The tournament is on the PAPA circuit and is run by the PAPA guys on games they bring to the show. It is 100% payout + 1000 from PAPA (PAPA rocks!). The tournament is one of the largest in the world by number of people, and we're hoping this year it will be the biggest.
    There is an A division, B division and Classics. We will post the schedule soon, but qualifying is Friday and Saturday with the finals on Sunday. The classics finals may be Saturday evening.

And I need to talk to Mark some more (and I've mentioned to Jeremy and Matt) that I'm hoping we can do some sort of Kids tournament as well.

-- Brian

#67 10 years ago
    Quoted from LouMatt:

We'll be setting up all day Thursday, so if you can bring games Thursday after noon (gives us the morning to get the power laid out) that would be great.

That is perfect - I came the night before last year and it was awesome.

#68 10 years ago
    Quoted from WeirPinball:

That is perfect - I came the night before last year and it was awesome.

I love set up night. Get to set up games, mingle and play with no lines.

#69 10 years ago
    Quoted from RC_like_the_cola:

If you bring a game That is the important part to being allowed in on set up night.

#70 10 years ago
    Quoted from LouMatt:

If you bring a game That is the important part to being allowed in on set up night.

So the first rule of setup night....is to bring a game to setup night?

B:Have fun at setup night

C: ???

3: PROFIT!!!

#71 10 years ago
    Quoted from RC_like_the_cola:

And buy the good stuff before the public comes in

#72 10 years ago
    Quoted from WeirPinball:

And buy the good stuff before the public comes in

Forgot about that. My buddy sold one game and bought 2 before they were lined up and plugged in one year. LOL

#73 10 years ago
    Quoted from Butterflygirl24:

<<<<"Non-standard pins are fun to be able to experience. It was awesome last year seeing a Joust. I wasn't even aware of the head-to-head concept (not that I was or am a seasoned pinhead). Then I learned only something like 400 were made. That made me both very appreciative of the collector who brought it and curious how anyone manages to bring valuable gems to an expo with hordes of people, who aren't necessarily going to treat these games like they should, and not babysit their game the whole time or bite their nails when they're away.
    I know it's counter-intuitive to the expo format, but I think I'd be too OCD to be comfortable bringing a game I really cared about (all of them! ). I know you have to bring games in order for there to be games at the show, so how do collectors get over it and enjoy themselves, or is that not a problem for most? Even having 6 family members over the other day to play my games had me too anxious to be able to really relax and enjoy myself, not to mention random things kept breaking...">>>>
    Yes it was my Joust, I will most likely bring it back again this year. I have taken it to alot of shows since I got it put back together after its restore. Everyone seems to like it and it is popular, so as long as folks enjoy it I will try to bring it. I'm also planning to bring my Metallica, Congo, Warlok, maybe Popeye. Not sure on others, I like to bring games folks don't see all the time.
    I really don't worry about games too much when I take them, They were made to be played. I know that some can get a bit carried away, but most are respectful of the games and know that as Futurepinhead said, There are lots of Pinheads around and everyone tends to watch out for each others games.
    Louisville has been a great show, Matt and Jeremy do a great job! Looking forward to it again this year!!
    See everyone there!
    Phoebe

Varkon again???

Either way I'm really looking forward to it.

#74 10 years ago
    Quoted from DugFreez:

So the first rule of setup night....is to bring a game to setup night?

B:Have fun at setup night

C: ???

3: PROFIT!!!

Don't worry, I understand.

#75 10 years ago

Definitely going to be there. Favorite show of the year!

#76 10 years ago
    Quoted from RDReynolds:

Definitely going to be there. Favorite show of the year!

Mine too!

#77 10 years ago

I will be there for sure. Closest PAPA tourney to me until the Atlanta tourney in June. Here are a couple of my favorite pics from last year!

2013-03-10 16.13.39.jpg2013-03-10 16.13.39.jpg 2013-03-10 16.14.02.jpg2013-03-10 16.14.02.jpg
    #78 10 years ago

And there is Ants haha

#79 10 years ago

I'm also planning to bring my Metallica, Congo, Warlok, maybe Popeye. Not sure on others, I like to bring games folks don't see all the time.

Phoebe

Varkon!! I love that game!!!

-Steve Ridge
    Louisville, KY

#80 10 years ago
    Quoted from VDrums2112:

-Steve Ridge
    Louisville, KY

I'm lucky - I'm an hour and a half from that game and all the other games Phoebe and Larry have set up in there house. Joust is another sweet one they have in their collection.

#81 10 years ago

Rooms are selling out quickly at the hotel (especially double rooms), so if you plan on staying there, book your room as soon as possible, Special show rate $69 a night - Call them and book your room at 502-491-4830 and tell them you are attending the Louisville Arcade Expo to get the rate.

#82 10 years ago
    Quoted from VDrums2112:

-Steve Ridge
    Louisville, KY

Thinkin' about bringing our Williams Defender pin. Got it out and gettin' it cleaned up! Tryin' to talk Lar into bringing Varkon also, but not sure if there is room in the trailer.

Phoebe

#83 10 years ago

Just registered. Bringing my new Getaway

#84 10 years ago

Thinkin' about bringing our Williams Defender pin. Got it out and gettin' it cleaned up! Tryin' to talk Lar into bringing Varkon also, but not sure if there is room in the trailer.
    Phoebe

If you can't fit Varkon, I understand. I've played your Varkon in Louisville twice, once in Ohio and played PAPAs a few times... I have never played a Defender, seen video but never played one. And I just love the early 80's Williams space sounds. That's the main reason I bought my Firepower.

-Steve Ridge
    Louisville, KY

#85 10 years ago

Please bring Defender its rare and not many have ever seen the pin.

#86 10 years ago

The manual kickback on Defender is great. Easily the most satisfying kickback ever.

#87 10 years ago
    Quoted from VDrums2112:

If you can't fit Varkon, I understand. I've played your Varkon in Louisville twice, once in Ohio and played PAPAs a few times... I have never played a Defender, seen video but never played one. And I just love the early 80's Williams space sounds. That's the main reason I bought my Firepower.
    -Steve Ridge
    Louisville, KY

Yeah I am definitely planning on bringing Defender. If you like the 80s Williams sounds like Firepower, then this is right up your alley. I'll admit Defender is a confusing game when you first start playing it, there are targets popping up all over the place but once you understand the rules it gets less confusing. It really is based off the video game. You are trying to save the humans from being captured and turned into mutants. You are trying to complete waves, the higher the wave you make it through the higher the score. It's to hard to try to explain (I still don't totally get playing it!!) my husband used to play the video game alot, so he understands it better than me.

Quoted from DugFreez:

The manual kickback on Defender is great. Easily the most satisfying kickback ever.

Yeah I had taken it to some shows a few years ago, everytime I would have people leaving me notes or telling me that the kickback wasn't working...I had to explain that it wasn't an auto kicker like on Firepower, it is manual there is a button next to the flipper button and you have to hit it and knock the ball back onto the PF manually. It is alot tougher to do than you would think, you have to time it perfectly. Like DugFreez says it is a satisfying shot, but it is also FRUSTRATING!!! cause you miss it more than you make it! Although I know Dug is kinda partial to the game, cause a couple years ago, we had a party and Dug beat Trent (the hardest workin' man in pinball) Augenstein to win the tourney we had on it.

Got my reservations made!
    See everyone there!
    Phoebe

#88 10 years ago

Looking so forward to the show. Can't wait to get my Hollywood heat finished so I can bring it. Each year I pick one show to dedicate an entire week to and this year, it is LOU arcade expo.

#89 10 years ago

Is it worth it to bring a Players Quality T2 to attempt a sell/trade?

#90 10 years ago
    Quoted from DudeMcAwesome:

Yes,Worth a try.

#91 10 years ago

Yep, put it next to my cc'd one to make mine look better

#92 10 years ago
    Quoted from WeirPinball:

Yep, put it next to my cc'd one to make mine look better

You mean, make mine look more afordable right?

#93 10 years ago

You mean, make mine look more afordable right?

how affordable is affordable?

#94 10 years ago
    Quoted from Wickedquickss:

how affordable is affordable?

Probably $1800...not more than that, maybe a little less.

#95 10 years ago

If it's priced fair, then yes, certainly worth a try. I bought my Firepower last year at LAX. There were a few overpriced games last year that sat the whole weekend. I remember a $1,750 EK that didn't sell, and an $8K CV that didn't sell. But anything that was reasonably priced, moved.

-Steve Ridge
    Louisville, KY

#96 10 years ago
    Quoted from VDrums2112:

If it's priced fair, then yes, certainly worth a try. I bought my Firepower last year at LAX. There were a few overpriced games last year that sat the whole weekend. I remember a $1,750 EK that didn't sell, and an $8K CV that didn't sell. But anything that was reasonably priced, moved.
    -Steve Ridge
    Louisville, KY

I usually put a high price on the games I do not want to sell and if someone hits that price okay I will sell it but if not, awesome I get to take my game home. Neither of those games were mine, I am just saying that is where some of those high prices are from.

#97 10 years ago

Hey Guys - we're pleased to announce that Skit-B will be at our show this year. More details to come, but they'll bring some games and do a seminar. Kevin shares our love of classic video games as well so they are a great fit to our show.

Anyone who makes Predator, Duck Hunt, Sonic, and Star Fox pinball machines will be right at home with our crowd.

#98 10 years ago

Phoebe

yes please on defender!

#99 10 years ago
    Quoted from LouMatt:

Anyone who makes Predator, Duck Hunt, Sonic, and Star Fox pinball machines will be right at home with our crowd.

Make sure he brings the Duck Hunt, I want to play that sucker.

#100 10 years ago
    Quoted from futurepinhead:

Make sure he brings the Duck Hunt, I want to play that sucker.

I would like to play all of them!

There are 346 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 7.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/louisville-arcade-expo-march-7-9-2014/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.