(Topic ID: 36240)

LOTR owners/players-Disable consolation/bash balrog?

By sammiesguys

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 19 posts
  • 12 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by swampfire
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“What do you prefer for LOTR?”

• I own LOTR, and I disable the non-multiball bash Balrog feature 20 votes
    48%
  • I own LOTR, and I leave the non-multiball bash Balrog feature on 21 votes
    50%
  • Im a player who prefers the non-multiball bash Balrog disabled 1 vote
    2%
  • Im a player who prefers the non-multiball bash Balrog feature on 0 votes

(42 votes)

#1 11 years ago

I was curious what LOTR owners and players prefer. Do you prefer the use of Balrog only during the FOTR multiball, or do you like when it appears during other parts of the game too?

In the settings, it's called consolation Balrog. On mine, I have it disabled, so Balrog is only used during multiball. It messes with the flow of the game for me. It doesn't seem to fit. I also thought I remembered reading that it was added after the game was released, because people were disappointed that it wasn't used often enough.

Im sure that there are plenty of people who like it, so I started a poll.

#2 11 years ago

I use the director's cut settings, which disable the consolation Balrog. Didn't care for it.

#3 11 years ago

I leave it on, but it seems that he only comes out the one time when you have hit Gimli saucer 3 times. I find it satisfying to hit him and hear the roar. Plus I have a super bright red LED inside him that adds to him. I actually wish he came out more.

#4 11 years ago

I love seeing the Balrog on the DMD as he roars, while the play field lights up and down with him. I leave my Balrog on during non multiball. TBH i didnt know you could run him off for non multiball play. Keeping it the way it is but i get what you mean, it messes with my flow. But as does the POTD IMO.

#5 11 years ago

Disabled on my LOTR, I don't like it either.

#6 11 years ago
Quoted from GoChiefs70:

I leave it on, but it seems that he only comes out the one time when you have hit Gimli saucer 3 times. I find it satisfying to hit him and hear the roar. Plus I have a super bright red LED inside him that adds to him. I actually wish he came out more.

That's why I think it was added. There were probably a lot of people who played it on route, and never even got to see what they thought was the coolest feature of the game.

Quoted from Monkey:

But as does the POTD IMO.

I agree. It does. But the POTD is part of a goal of the game, to reach the ROTK multiball. Bash balrog only exists for points. But if you like to bash him more often, then leave it on. It's all about what's fun for you.

#7 11 years ago
Quoted from sammiesguys:

I agree. It does. But the POTD is part of a goal of the game, to reach the ROTK multiball. Bash balrog only exists for points. But if you like to bash him more often, then leave it on. It's all about what's fun for you.

Good point Still keeping it on hehe love the roar too much

2 weeks later
#8 11 years ago

Just one bump for curiosity.

#9 11 years ago

Disabled on my LotR

#10 11 years ago

Bash Balrog is lame points, I never shoot it anyway,(too risky) so disable it.
I also disable the Cave Troll free points mode, get right to crossing dudes on the bridge.
"YOU SHALL NOT PASS!"

#11 11 years ago

Wow! I never realized it could be disabled. I friggen hate the Balrog bash, hitting it mostly results in center drains. It will be disabled this evening for certain.

#12 11 years ago

I have director's cut enabled on mine which turns on Cave Troll and disables Bash Balrog.-I figure this is the way that Keith intended the game to be played and I never much cared for the Bash Balrog mode.-feels like an lame add-in similar to the gimme multiball on the 3rd ball of most DE games.

For those of you that do have it enabled give this a try:
first make sure that "consolation balrog is on", then in attract mode:

Both flippers, then Lx6, Rx1, Lx9, Rx1, Lx6, Rx1, Lx9, Rx1. You'll
hear a Balrog roar letting you know you did it right.

Then start a game, and get a consolation balrog (easiest way is to
shoot the cave three times). I won't spoil what it actually does any
more than I already have.

#13 11 years ago
Quoted from DNO:

Bash Balrog is lame points, I never shoot it anyway,(too risky) so disable it.
I also disable the Cave Troll free points mode, get right to crossing dudes on the bridge.
"YOU SHALL NOT PASS!"

Quoted from MikeS:

I have director's cut enabled on mine which turns on Cave Troll and disables Bash Balrog.-I figure this is the way that Keith intended the game to be played and I never much cared for the Bash Balrog mode.-feels like an lame add-in similar to the gimme multiball on the 3rd ball of most DE games.

I also use the director's cut settings. Don't like bash balrog, but I do like the cave troll part.

Quoted from bigdaddy07:

Wow! I never realized it could be disabled. I friggen hate the Balrog bash, hitting it mostly results in center drains. It will be disabled this evening for certain.

I didn't realize it either when I first got it, and it always annoyed me. Found out about a month later, and much prefer it off. Sounds like you will too.

#14 11 years ago
Quoted from sammiesguys:

Found out about a month later, and much prefer it off. Sounds like you will too.

Yah, what's bad on my part is that I've owned mine for 2 years and didn't realize that option.

#15 11 years ago

I have it disabled. Don't like the feature as it seems like an unneeded add on to the Fellowship MB (where the Balrog is utilized perfectly).

#16 11 years ago
Quoted from Monkey:

it messes with my flow. But as does the POTD IMO.

I added a plastic deflector at the end of the POTD that makes the ball always end on the habitrail.
This eliminated wear on the arwin plastic and stopped impact wear on the shire plastic/wood.
But the BIG plus is that it improves the flow in this area- instead of two kickers slowing down the game, it is only the POTD kicker. skipping the shire kicker completely!

I also disabled "consolation Balrog"--- Only in the program to attract quarters.

#17 11 years ago
Quoted from ryan1234:

I added a plastic deflector at the end of the POTD that makes the ball always end on the habitrail.
This eliminated wear on the arwin plastic and stopped impact wear on the shire plastic/wood.
But the BIG plus is that it improves the flow in this area- instead of two kickers slowing down the game, it is only the POTD kicker. skipping the shire kicker completely!
I also disabled "consolation Balrog"--- Only in the program to attract quarters.

Of course this means that you are also missing out on additional awards of souls.

#18 11 years ago

RobT-
You are very correct-- It really did not make a huge difference to me. (I figure souls were easier to collect then plastic/wood is to replace.) Just thought I would add the option for some. Maybe people have already done this, unfortunately I wasn't a pin nut back when LOTR came out. Did LOTR seem like it would go the distance in popularity/playability when it first came out?

#19 11 years ago

I've got the POTD deflector, and I never really noticed that I was missing any souls. I always seem to get ROTK MB anyway, and I really like the improvement in flow. The drop-off always seemed clunky to me. Plus, no shire protection needed (other than a good waxing once in a while).

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 12.95
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RGP Models

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RamMods

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Fuzz

10,400 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Juneau, WI
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

9,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Ronkonkoma, NY
$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Anderson, SC
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

10,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Deer Park, NY
€ 7.50
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
WilliPinball Mods

$ 39.50
$ 12.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RamMods

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/lotr-ownersplayers-disable-consolationbash-balrog and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.