(Topic ID: 31492)

LOTR balls keep being shot back into play on multi-balls?

By paulohotline

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 11 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by DCFAN
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

LOTR_5_Ball_Diag.JPG
#1 11 years ago

My LOTR keeps shooting balls back into the game on the multi-balls even when the shoot again is no longer lit. This is especially happening on the ROTK multi-balls. I have gone into the diag menu into the "In the Trough Clear" and its showing 5 balls! (see attached pic). The small board on the VUK to get the balls back in play appears to function properly as it was swapped out with a CSI one and it worked on that PIN fine.

Any suggestions where to start troubleshooting this issue?

LOTR_5_Ball_Diag.JPGLOTR_5_Ball_Diag.JPG

#2 11 years ago

Your swapping boards may have been enough connector activity to work for awhile.

I'd start with reflowing the solder on the optos and the pins the connector plugs onto on each of the small boards.

LTG : )

#3 11 years ago

The trough optos may need to have the solder re-flowed.

#4 11 years ago

This sounds like a good problem to have.

#5 11 years ago

Hey guys thanks for the tips. So in theory, since my soldering skills suck, if I swap out the mini board with CSI, it should work and stop this behavior from happening correct?

Oh yeah, to properly solder reflow, do you need to remove the old solder first then apply the new?

Thanks for your help!

#6 11 years ago
Quoted from blizz81:

This sounds like a good problem to have.

Hey now blizz81, it would be a good problem to have in theory, but I have had the VUK coil connections break down and eventually burn out the transistor on the board and smoke out from being overworked! I have replaced both parts but know it will happen again if I don't fix the root cause of this problem

#7 11 years ago
Quoted from paulohotline:

Hey guys thanks for the tips. So in theory, since my soldering skills suck, if I swap out the mini board with CSI, it should work and stop this behavior from happening correct?

Oh yeah, to properly solder reflow, do you need to remove the old solder first then apply the new?

This is a problem will all these boards. Over time the solder looks kind of gray and powdery. So swapping boards or getting new ones only buys a short time until it returns.

You can learn to reflow solder easily, practice on an old board. When you flow solder and don't hurt traces move to your good boards.

I would suck off the old solder first, but flowing on a bit of new works good too.

#8 11 years ago

LTG how would I know if I am hurting traces or not?

#9 11 years ago
Quoted from starbase:

LTG how would I know if I am hurting traces or not?

By pulling them up off of the circuit board, tearing them, things like that.

If the copper trace is gone and you have green board left behind, you need more practice.

1 week later
#10 11 years ago

Hey guys, as suggested I had a buddy reflow the solder on both boards and it worked for about 2 minutes before reverting back to showing 5 balls and even randomly firing balls during games

I am happy to say that replacing both boards with brand new spiffy ones solved the problem once and for all. Thanks for your help fellow pinheads LOTR 100% back in operation!

#11 11 years ago

Thanks for the update. Glad you were able to get it working correctly.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 8.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Machine - For Sale
Anderson, SC
$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 25.00
9,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Ronkonkoma, NY
€ 7.50
$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Fuzz

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RamMods

$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 12.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RamMods

$ 79.95
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
Pinball Life

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

9,250 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Eau Claire, WI
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

10,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Juneau, WI
$ 41.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/lotr-balls-keep-being-shot-back-into-play-on-multi-balls?replies=5 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.