(Topic ID: 16521)

Long Post but need your Feed Back .. It's worth reading and could help other's

By MNpinballplayer

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

not-sure-if-we-got-trolled-or-just-pla.jpg
    danger.gif
    IBTL.jpg

This topic is closed.

There are 114 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.
    #1 11 years ago

I few months ago I was searching E-Bay and came across a Twilight Zone pinball machine that looked like it was in great condition. I asked the seller to send me a lot of photo's and he did and everything looked great. There was no graphic fading or scratches on the box or any type of play field wear on the playfield, however, there was two dot errors showing up on the display.

I instructed the seller over the phone on how to determine what error codes there were and it was something minor involving basic switches that did not seem to me to cause too much of a problem after looking up the numbers in the Twilight Zone manual.

After reviewing all the photos and talking to the sales person over the phone I understood that the seller didn't know how a lot about pinball machines this was something given to him to sell at his local pawnshop.

He didn't know what he had but bent over backwards trying to please me on everything I asked him to do. So, I felt he did his job as best as he could. We agreed to a price to include shipping and handling for this machine at $4200, but I also requested that the pin to be delivered at a local commercial pinball company so they could fix the dot errors and clean up the pin.

Now once the pin arrived at the commercial company, I gave them instructions not to do anything until I got there. I was with my wife and together we looked over the machine and saw that it was very dirty on the insides underneath the playfield. There was some other minor issues that came across regarding the flippers and basic minor maintenance.

I asked the individual to give me a good estimate on how much it would cost to fix because (I didn't want to get into something that was going to cost me more than what is was worth) the price that he gave me was $1500 to clean it up add new parts that involved flippers assembly, new legs , rubbers, a full led kit to include installation a couple minor maintenance issues regarding the ramps.

And after all that he convinced me that I would have a fully operational Twilight Zone pinball machine at a total cost of $5700.

I understood that paying the extra meant that I was already going over what the pin was worth but after searching for so long for a Twilight Zone pin in my geographic area. I had hard time finding anything that had no scratches, no fading, or blemishes on the box and no pinball wear on the playfield.

I got tired of waiting around for that pin so I said go for it and I still believe after a few more years that the twilight pin in this condition will be worth close to $6K. I asked the commercial company if they accept credit card he said yes but they have to charge a 3% on every purchase because they don't have a high volume of credit card charges.

I understood that and I was okay with the 3% on anything I charge on the credit card. He also mentioned that because of their volume and availability it will take 30 days or a month for the pin machine to be ready. (I was fine with that because I trusted their company and the way they pitch their availability and service. I didn't mind waiting 30 days for the type of machine)
    I was getting.

So after a couple of weeks I got a phone call from the company saying there was more issues with the game that they didn't expect. That issue was some burn out on the board that prevented the dot matrix display to function at 100%.

They convinced me rather than trying to fix the board to invest in an led display because of its own power source. I agreed because I had to replace the power display I understood the old display had some firing issues after inspecting it so I understood that eventually it would have to be replaced. But, I was told it would only increase my estimate to $1850. I was still fine with it because I knew that after a couple more years the pin would still be worth 6K and I would have a good twilight zone that would be the envy of my collection.

After that a couple more weeks passed, I get a phone call saying that the pin had some more problems it took more time than expected the original owner of the store had to leave for some type of company convention in Arizona and he would be gone for at least two weeks so I asked if he had time before he left to meet with me regarding this pinball machine and he did.

I went to the store looked at my pin machine and saw it was in pieces because they were doing their job and cleaning it and I told him straight out I can't afford to keep spending more money on the pin more than what's it worth.

I asked him straight out how much it was going to cost to get the machine cleaned and assembled and played the way it should and hold up to the company's reputation of a completed project.

I didn't want to spend more money on the pin than what it was worth I'm already upside down.

The owner of the commercial company said he understood my concern and he would get with his technicians to find out what was going on with the pin. He would call me back before he leaves and he won't allow anymore services done on the machine until I authorize it.

After couple of days I get a phone call by the owner of the store saying he's with two of his technicians and they have completely gone over the machine and assured me that they can fix everything 100% for no more than $2000 also including the mod installation, that I also requested. so that's $6200 that I have invested in this pin.

I told him that accept that $2000 bill if he was sure that was the most it would cost to fix the machine and the owner of the store said yes. So, I was told the machine would probably be ready in about 3 weeks so that was a total of 50 days. I was fine with that.

Now I get this phone call from the same pin technician saying that he came across some more problems with the pin. He burnt out a couple of lights on the mods dealing with the plane and Robby the robot. He was also missing the bracket for Robby the robot for the installation. I know a 100% that the bracket was there for Robby the Robot because I inspected that piece prior to giving that to the company. So,I gave the mods that worked and after the installation they did something were some of the leds burnt out on the plane and the robots head did not light up anymore and they were missing his bracket and the technicians wanted to charge an extra $50 to try and make the bracket himself and I told him no don't do that there is a website where I can purchase the bracket for $12 and there was also website were I could buy those same led lights at a couple dollars.

So I wasn't worried about it. Then he mentioned that he would have to increase the labor and time spent on the machine to another $600 I told him no way that is way past the original estimate of $2000 he said well you either pay the additional $600 or you can come up here and pick up machine in pieces and pay the $2000 or we are going to keep the machine.

That is the exact words of the technician. I understood enough that the company could keep my machine for what I owe them and could eventually sell it. I had no choice but to agree to pay the additional $600 because it was based off a threat that if I didn't pay the $600 I would lose the pin all together.

So after a couple more weeks past 60 days of them receiving the pinball machine It was ready. I went up there to pick it up and everyone congrats and how wonderful the pin was and that they had never seen one in that great of condition before. I noticed after inspecting the pin there was some visible scratches around the legs and the box and part of the bill was to have one of their techs touch up the art of the machine.

The tech said I'm sorry I thought he did that he grabbed his paint marker and touched every area that I saw in a manner of 2 minutes and later on knowing that he charged me an hour worth of labor for that specific task.

I asked the technician if I could speak to the owner because he was back in town. He grabbed the owner and I explained to him about the art and the amount of hours being billed burnt out lights on the led mods along with the missing bracket on Robby the Robot that I couldn't prove it was there when I gave it to them but knew it was.

He exact words were I don't need your business I have enough work without you so either pay it or don't I don't care keep the pin(knowing that I wouldn't get my pinball machine back) So after all that I agreed to pay the bill I had no choice. After going up to the counter the clerk told me that instead of charging me 3% they have to charge me 5% for anything that I charge on my credit card.

I know it was wrong because he went up an additional 2% on and original charge and I have never come across anyone charging a service fee charging on a credit card. And he explained to me that If I don't pay the bill they would keep the pin

so I had no choice. So I gave them $2000 and charged around $800 on my credit card. So that's a total of 3800 plus 400 shipping and $2800 in repairs and services to total $7000 for a Twilight Zone Pinball machine that looks fantastic with no fading or visible scratches and no wear on the playfield at all.

This is a very clean Twilight Zone with nothing wrong with it. I paid the extra $800 in credit card to include that 5% charge because I wanted the opportunity to review the transactions from this company to determine it I wanted to protest that charge through my credit card.

I understood the $2000 but I honestly feel that they hosed me in $800 of excess fees. So besides from learning a big lesson about not buying anything off eBay without personally inspecting the machine.

What do you think I should do? Do you think I'm ethically right in disputing the $800 charge or do I deserve to pay that price because of my own stupidity.

Also, keep in mind the company charged me 28 hour worth of labor and I also asked to see the log sheet on how they calculated the labor that amount only sheet the tech could show me was chicken scratches.

It is my honest opinion that while the owner of company was away him being the cat and the mouse who represented the pinball technician for their company played and they had to account their hours to bill me the extra $800 dollars So again my pinside community I have been nothing but truthful and honest what should I do Should I file a dispute through my credit card company. Should I file a small claims complaint through the legal system or let it go??

#2 11 years ago

You need to tell us what the company is. We need to be warned. Plus thats why you give great service. Good experience gets more business bad experience loses business.

#3 11 years ago

Did you sign a contract at any point before they started? Did that contract change as the estimate changed?

Yes, please do tell. We need to avoid this business at all cost.

#4 11 years ago

This sucks.
    If you did not have a signed contract, small claims would be tough, as you likely would have difficulty proving your story.
    However, this business should be avoided.
    You could still consider a credit card charge back.
    Anyway, on the bright side............sounds like you did end up with a great machine.

#5 11 years ago

The only time, I signed anything. Is regarding the repairs and new parts was during the first cost estimate.

#7 11 years ago

The truth is I am scared. To give the Pinball Co name because of liable and legal issues. I can tell you it's a company in the state of Iowa. I am hoping to tell the owner of this company about this posting and to please review this posting and please give me my money back. Please my fellow pinside community be honest. I can handle the loses because of my stupidity.

#8 11 years ago

File with your CC company.....you have nothing to lose.
    I doubt they gave any warranty you would feel comfortable bringing it back in.
    Your CC should be able to negotiate a settlement that will help reduce the "extra" costs.

#9 11 years ago

I try to play fair in life. What comes around goes around and all that. But when people play dirty you must play dirty as well.

#10 11 years ago

You should check if they are a member of the Better Business Bureau. Also you should continue what you are doing and get their name out there as doing shady business. In this day and ago companies need to know that their customer service must be at least adequate otherwise people will use the internet and word of mouth to get the word out.

#11 11 years ago

You should name the company and let's see what the responses from others here are about this company. I wouldn't care about what the Company and it's Owner thinks. What happened to you is unfair and poor business practices. The Owner and Techs kept stringing you along knowing they had you by the balls. Still I hope you have learned a valuable lesson about getting estimates and how sleazy a business can be. I would file a complaint with the BBB, for what it's worth and also with your State's consumer protection department, usually part of an Attorney General's office.

#12 11 years ago

PM me the name of the company and I will do the reveal thereby relieving you of all liablity. DISPUTE THOSE CHARGES!!! Do not roll over like a baby seal waiting to get clubbed! I feel sorry for you and MAD at the same time. There are so many nice people in this hobby, and you had to run into the Chumley of pinball. so sorry for you

#13 11 years ago

You already know what is going to happen if you ask them for money back... They are gonna tell you to !#@$ off.

Just file the claim with your CC (that is why you use a CC) and tell us the name of the company!!!! You have said/written nothing that would be considered slander or liable. You have provided the facts as you see them. Based on your story they are obviously unethical and that is not how you should do business in this small world.

Sorry for the pain and hardship, but glad you got a niz TZ to play now. Next step it to learn how to do some work for yourself >> part of the fun

#14 11 years ago

I would try and dispute ALL the charges, not just the $800 and then let the business prove the work that they did.

I am sure you can find a different pin repair place that can give you a price that would be much much lower than this place charged you.

There are ways around this my friend, dont let this shitty business get away with it.

#15 11 years ago

If you have a written estimate, you are good to protest the charges with the CC company. When it comes to estimates, they can only exceed the estimate by 10% without having you sign and agree to another written estimate. So , if I read your post correctly, the estimate you signed was for $1500. They can only legally charge you up to $1650 without your legal written consent.

Tell the credit card company that they padded the labor charges, could not provide any invoice(s) with itemized labor hours, and that you are NOT satisfied with the labor work. Furthermore , tell them they were holding your merchandise hostage and threatened to sell your merchandise if you did not pay the outrageous bill.

Screw them, just like they screwed you.

#16 11 years ago

Your only real recourse is to take them to small claims court. It'll be hard to win a credit card dispute because it's not fraud.

#17 11 years ago

You have no liability in disclosing who it was that screwed you over.....maybe you can help somebody else avoid these pr*cks down the road.....if he is any kind of businessman he would make it right and avoid the court of public opinion.....

The problem you have in court or with the credit card company is that you paid it along the way without drawing the line at the repair stage.......you were in a tough spot and sometimes in life you just get stuck with what I call the "dummy tax"....I've been hit with it many times before myself! I try to live and learn but I would make that guy pay by exposing his businesses practices...

I'm telling you as a lawyer if you are telling the truth and stating the facts you won't have any problems.....I wish I was there in Iowa, I'd love to file suit for you, pro bono, just to stick it up his a**

#18 11 years ago

I think everyone missed the important part of that story... YOU PAID SOMEONE almost $3K to do a shop job and a couple mods???

Congrats to the company for seeing a sucker! Note: I don't condone ripping anyone off, but you should have done the research to see what the parts would have cost and then did a little research to see if you could have found someone cheaper or figured out how to take some screws/nuts loose yourself.

#19 11 years ago

I would have paid with a check and stoped payment on it. Then sent a check for what you agreed upon plus whatever you feel you owed them above that. Probably not the legal way to handle the situation but at least then they have to fight you, not you fight them. Did you pay with a check? If not then dispute you cc transaction, for the sake of all other pinheads you must fight for all our rights. You are fighting for the people now. You can make a difference in this world. Were counting on you to teach these guys pinheads are not to be messed with. We have the right to honest service! Ok, maybe that's a little much but you get the point. As far as putting there name out there, I don't see how you could not. I felt your pain but I don't want to go through that. We need to know. Tell someone else and let them post it. Hell tell me and ill post it in a different thread if that makes you feel better.

#20 11 years ago

Hope this doesn't sound too offensive... but I think the moral of the story could be: Learn to DIY.

It doesn't sound like they did anything too difficult. But it sounds like you ran into someone dishonest who took advantage of your lack of knowledge or desire to learn.

If you don't DIY... just like car repairs... call and get a couple estimates from several places (you do that don't you?). Find someone you trust to work on your car if you're not a mechanic yourself. Run things by a friend or two who is knowledgable. Perhaps you should've posted on the pinside forums asking for an idea of what kind of work needs to be put in for the specific errors you knew about.

In the future... get estimates in writing. If they're increasing prices on you by hundreds at a time get that in writing as well.

#21 11 years ago

Sounds to me like they thought you had deep pockets because you were able to buy TZ in the first place, they already knew you had $4,200 in it, and they also knew they could charge whatever they wanted because you weren't just gonna say screw it and let them keep the game. It's not like you had a $4,200 car that you'd already paid off years ago and needed $2,800 in repairs. Screw the car and get another one. You just got the game and hadn't even had it in your house yet... They held your game hostage and made you pay the ransom!

#22 11 years ago

You need to grow a set of balls. This guy walked all over you, and you should NEVER let that happen - they prey on it. Stand your ground.

1. Agree to the work - outline everything that will be done in writing.
    2. They come back to you with financial changes - remind them of the original intent.
    3. They won't budge after you get extorted - you take it all back (PERSONALLY - dont let them handle your stuff any longer), there are tons of folks here willing to help you, even you could figure it out.
    4. Go on a campaign to tell others about your experience.

Screw them. If that person was within 10 miles of me, i would shove the gumball machine up his ass.

I have torn down 5 TZs in my life. Its intimidating at first, but its not complicated and doesn't warrant that type of money. Sure unseen issues come up during the teardown, but with exception to serious acid, cabinet or playfield damage, everything else is easily solved, especially to a 'trained' tech. So i am saying its BS (BULLSHIT) for them to use the unforeseen issue approach on a solid base game.

Not only that but you had to pre-agreed price at the start. And the 3 percent to 5 percent CC fee? Eff them. Even 3 percent is over the 1.5 - 2.8 tied to the card, depending on what it is.

At this point, chalk it up to experience dont let anyone walk over you again. You sound like a nice, reasonable guy, and i am sorry this happened to you, but you really really need to learn from this and not let these clowns do this - to you or the next guy.

You can now tell others of your experience with them. Out who it is (i know who it is because i have seen them do this in the past to others).

DO NOT worry about retaliation. You are stating your experience - you have the upper hand (for once). You are doing nothing malicious.

I just dont want to see others affected like you have.

#23 11 years ago

Unfortunate you ran into a very bad vendor. You really should make him known to the community.

You might mention to the CC company the fact that he assessed a surcharge in order for you to use your card. That would be against the merchant agreement and could cause him some problems. Merchants may offer cash discounts - but they can't assess fees for using your CC.

Unfortunately you got screwed. May as well dispute the entire transaction and at least see if the bozo is willing to reach a reasonable settlement with you. Push a little pain back onto him.

by the way - congrats on the TZ. Please enjoy it despite the drama.

#24 11 years ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

You have no liability in disclosing who it was that screwed you over.....maybe you can help somebody else avoid these pr*cks down the road.....if he is any kind of businessman he would make it right and avoid the court of public opinion.....

The problem you have in court or with the credit card company is that you paid it along the way without drawing the line at the repair stage.......you were in a tough spot and sometimes in life you just get stuck with what I call the "dummy tax"....I've been hit with it many times before myself! I try to live and learn but I would make that guy pay by exposing his businesses practices...

I'm telling you as a lawyer if you are telling the truth and stating the facts you won't have any problems.....I wish I was there in Iowa, I'd love to file suit for you, pro bono, just to stick it up his a**

I second Iceman's opinion in full . . . you have zero liability. I'm laughing that he calls it the dummy tax, I call it the same . . . and yes, I've paid that tax many times myself. LOL.

#25 11 years ago

The one saving grace is you paid by credit card, so what you do is charge back the total amount. Then tell the owner you're only going to pay what you actually agreed to pay, and if they don't like it they can take you to court.

#26 11 years ago

Very unethical transactions and the company should be known to the pinside community, so we can avoid like the plague!

#27 11 years ago

don't want to be rude or anything...

i understand that the people who fu*ked you up are bad!
    but you also have to blame yourself, they keep charging and you keep saying yes... right there it should have ring a bell. they saw you couldn't handle a screw driver...

you paid way too much for something you can do yourself and in way less time, just by taking your time, pictures, infos, this forum and ask around... this is part of the hobby.

i really hope you do get some money back. this is a lesson learn.

#28 11 years ago

$1,500 to add LEDs and a new set of legs is insane. That's the most expensive shop job I've ever heard of.

And did I read that right, you paid them cash? Now you can't cancel the check or dispute the charge, you have to sue them. I mean, even if I bought the entire story, why would you pay them cash?

You've only been here 3 days. I dunno, troll maybe?

Quoted from MNpinballplayer:

the price that he gave me was $1500 to clean it up add new parts that involved flippers assembly, new legs , rubbers, a full led kit to include installation a couple minor maintenance issues regarding the ramps.

#29 11 years ago

Pinball is a luxury item. It's a "want", not a "need". So you had a bad experience, and lost some money. Oh well, life is full of bad experiences.

Working on your own games is a must. If you can't do that, you need to learn. Find a local tech that works for cheap, because you're always going to have repair issues. Maybe he can show you the ropes. Everyone needs to start somewhere.

But, with all due respect, it may be time to find another hobby. Sell and cash out. Do something that's fun and less stressful. Pinball isn't for everyone. It's expensive and requires heavy maintenance.

#30 11 years ago

I wish my tz woulda been done in time to do our Totan for tz trade.

#31 11 years ago

Your title says read this because it may help someone. Without naming the shop it helps no one. If everything posted here is true you are safe in naming the shop. If it isn't true, then certainly do not name them. And yes, if you have no interest in cleaning or doing minor repairs you really shouldn't own a 20 year old machine as complex as a pinball machine. It will cost you money and heartache along the way. I bet if you talked to 100 guys from this website 95 of them would tell you they enjoy tinkering with their machines almost as much as playing them if not more.

#32 11 years ago

I would dispute those charges in a heartbeat. That shop is nothing but straight street scum if you ask me!

#33 11 years ago

The shop is an operator and you know how operators can be! I will let MNpinballplayer throw the names out there if he wants but I know who he is talking about. Tried buying from them in the past but like most ops....they think they have gold and really have a routed machine that didn't get the proper attention while on route.

#34 11 years ago
    Quoted from Pinballer22:

The shop is an operator and you know how operators can be! I will let MNpinballplayer throw the names out there if he wants but I know who he is talking about.

Pinballer22, it is good that you know but that does not help anyone else. Everyone here was ready to hang MAD Amusements in a few short minutes, these scumbags deserve no less. Share the name, spread the word!

#35 11 years ago

He's MNPinballplayer... from Iowa? I don't get it? was IAPinballplayer taken?

Do share the name of this business.. Sucks that they shafted you, but do you want anyone else to go and be shafted as well?

#36 11 years ago
    Quoted from jonogo:

Do share the name of this business.. Sucks that they shafted you, but do you want anyone else to go and be shafted as well?

Not to be a naysayer but I found all of that a little bothersome too.

#37 11 years ago

Someone that knows, please tell us the city and state where this operator is located at minimum.

Without that, they could screw over someone else.

#38 11 years ago

I met MNpinballplayer at Blainbrook a while back. Nice guy. He said he's been lurking here for a while. Glad to see you're posting, MNpinballplayer. Sorry to hear the bad news. Hopefully the pinsiders here will offer you some valuable advice.

#39 11 years ago

I wish my tz woulda been done in time to do our Totan for tz trade.

#40 11 years ago

i don't think you will be successful in a dispute. if they threatened to keep your machine, you call the cops. these guys are crooks. You really should learn to maintain these machines yourself. so you at least know when you're being ripped off. Sorry this happened. But i really think you're stuck

#41 11 years ago
    Quoted from jonogo:

I've talked to him. I believe he moved from MN to IA.

#42 11 years ago

I bet your TZ now has a bunch of hacked boards in it and cracked hidden plastics. If this is how it happened Those guys are ASSholes. They are the reason ops get bad raps! Pure dirt merchants!

#43 11 years ago

Name and shame, sounds like a straight up scam to me. Chargebacks can be your friend.

#44 11 years ago

As others have mentioned, I would dispute the charges. I would also note the additional charge for using a credit card as this is generally against terms (perhaps law). Its a bit of splitting hairs, but a merchant cannot charge extra for using a credit card - i.e., that cannot pass the credit processing fee to the customer. This is different than charging a lesser price for paying with cash. Certainly if there is a notation on a receipt for a 5% credit card fee, the cc company will want to know that as well.

There is no liability in either offering your experience with a company or expressing your (dis)satisfaction with the company. You can't tell untruths - but naming names of one you've had legitimate business dealings with is in no way liable or slander.

#45 11 years ago
    Quoted from spanks_4:

I think everyone missed the important part of that story... YOU PAID SOMEONE almost $3K to do a shop job and a couple mods???

+1 There is know way you should be okay with this. Unless this was a high end restore (which clearly it wasn't) this is one of the biggest rippoffs I've heard in quite a while. BTW, you definitely should "out" these scam artists.

#46 11 years ago

I'm done caring about this or even reading about this without a name. At this point its a pointless thread about a guy that got ripped off. Happens all the time. Useless info without a name so there can be a real.discussion. The question is a no brainer. If you got ripped off then dispute it. If you want.to talk about it give us the whole story(a name) so it can be discussed. Otherwise were talking about nothing.

#47 11 years ago

May it have been http://www.kdamusement.com/ ??????

#48 11 years ago

File a claim with the better business bureau, consumer protection agency and any other local, state or federal agency you can.

#49 11 years ago

Dispute!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The Squeaky Wheel Gets the Grease

#50 11 years ago
    Quoted from davewtf:

File a claim with the better business bureau, consumer protection agency and any other local, state or federal agency you can.

Sadly the better business burear and the consumer protection agencies really have no teeth . . . they usually are not the answer to any dispute (at least not in Louisiana or Texas, perhaps it is different where the OP lives).

There are 114 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/long-post-but-need-your-feed-back-its-worth-reading-and-could-help-others and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.