poster-pinside-web.jpg
poster-pinside-web.jpg
poster1.jpg
poster3.jpg
poster2.jpg
$(KGrHqNHJFYFGWdWFU1gBRs-3nK-p!~~60_5.jpeg
$(KGrHqIOKosFGVQF4PUgBRs-sMrdN!~~60_5.jpeg
thumbs_up_car.gif

There are 440 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 9.
#1 10 years ago

Like many of you, I was touched by Don44's (Don's) story about the death of his son. He mentioned getting a DE Tommy pin as a kind of memorial to the times he played with his son, and I think we can help him to buy a really good one. From the look of it, he'd need at least $3k for an excellent example.

I am willing to chip in the first $100 and to collect the funds and forward them to him. (I don't want to burden him with this chore.) I will make this as transparent as possible and, of course, not keep a cent of anything donated. I can devote several hours to this cause today and most of the day tomorrow. I will keep updating this thread with progress reports and will issue a "GOAL MET!" celebration post if and when we get above $3.5k.

Here is how I suggest moving forward. Send me a PM, and I will send you my Paypal email address. Send the money as a gift, obviously. I will send you an email acknowledgment. Once we have reached the end of the fundraising (which has to be in a day or two; I have other commitments), I will send each donor a list of the gift amounts so that he/she can see how the money was raised. I will also send this to Don, obviously. (Please let me know how you want to be mentioned [e.g., by name, Pinside name, or "anonymous"].)

When I have sent the money to Don, I will ask him to acknowledge here that he has received it. By the way, I did ask his permission to do this on his behalf. He was surprised but seemed grateful for the support.

Do not be alarmed if it takes me a few hours to respond to any emails. I have some errands to run, but I will keep checking Pinside and my emails as regularly as possible. Also, I plan to sleep tonight!

Let's join together in giving a meaningful gift to a fellow Pinsider at his time of loss. Thanks!

---
In case you missed it, here is the link to the original post about his son's death: http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/my-son-tommy-died

----
EDIT (10:31 EST 14 Aug.): We just surpassed the $3,500 goal (with $3,556 to be precise)! Many, many thanks to all who contributed! Please note that any funds in excess of the actual cost of buying and shipping the pin will be sent directly to Don to help defray the cost of the funeral, etc. More details will be posted in the thread below. Thanks again, Pinsiders! You're amazing.

----
EDIT (8:00 p.m. EST 14 Aug.): If you donated, please check to see if your name is listed correctly: http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tommy-donor-list-please-check-for-your-name

----
EDIT (Thursday): There is now a separate thread concerning the memorial poster. Please go there for more information and to communicate with our creative mastermind, flashinstinct:
http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tommy-poster-who-wants-in

#2 10 years ago

Just got the first contribution. Please join in. This is going to take a lot of us to succeed.

Here's another thought: I would be more than happy to have a fellow Pinsider come to my house, view all of my Paypal transactions, and verify that everything is legit. As I said, I won't keep a penny.

I have never met Don, but I have lost several loved ones. I think offering our tangible and unsolicited support will be a help at this difficult time. I know he will appreciate it. Please be generous.

#3 10 years ago

Bump to keep this on the top webpage. Bumps and gifts both appreciated!

#4 10 years ago

well done! pm sent

#5 10 years ago

don is a great guy who was very generous with his time and some pinball stuff. he was the first person to help me out when i got back into this hobby. sent me some things for no charge that got my wpt up and running. i was a complete stranger who happened to live in the same state and had the same machine. if we could do this for him, i think over time, the reaching out by the pinball community will do him and his family wonders. thanks to all that help. (there are 400 people on here at any given moment. it wont take much if everyone gives just a little!) thanks, rich

#6 10 years ago

pm sent.Let's keep it going !

#7 10 years ago

Some good news: a Pinsider with a top-quality Tommy in CA has agreed to sell his machine at a very significant discount and ship it direct to Don, assuming that we can raise the money. So, come on folks. Let's make this happen! Please PM me for details. (I am not wild about posting my Paypal info in a public forum, but I'll send it to you by PM.)

#8 10 years ago

Pm sent

#9 10 years ago
Quoted from Craig:

Some good news: a Pinsider with a top-quality Tommy in CA has agreed to sell his machine at a very significant discount and ship it direct to Don, assuming that we can raise the money. So, come on folks. Let's make this happen! Please PM me for details. (I am not wild about posting my Paypal info in a public forum, but I'll send it to you by PM.)

fantastic!

#10 10 years ago

PM sent.

LTG : )

#11 10 years ago

Pm sent. Pinside can do some thing special here.

#12 10 years ago

PM sent

I don't know Don but I feel for him and his family and think this is a special gift for them, and a big appreciation for what Craig is doing here as well as the generous pinsider for offering his Tommy at a discounted rate - good on you guys

#13 10 years ago

How do Pinsiders that don't use Paypal donate? bump.

#14 10 years ago

Money is starting to come in, but we are only about 10% of the way there so far. All help is greatly appreciated. It would be wonderful if we could put this together quickly and have a first-rate Tommy on its way to Don in a matter of days.

#15 10 years ago

I have two kids myself. Nuff said.

Here's hoping don gets that Tommy.

#16 10 years ago
Quoted from tracelifter:

How do Pinsiders that don't use Paypal donate?

Good question. One person has already said that he is sending me a money order (or some such thing). I said I'd front the money for him if we need it quickly to buy the pin. Send me a PM, and we'll work something out.

#17 10 years ago
Quoted from tracelifter:

How do Pinsiders that don't use Paypal donate? bump.

pm for Craig's Address.I'm guessing that you could send a check.

#18 10 years ago

A call out to

Robin - call you make this a top of the list thread for the duration of fundraising maybe highlighted in a bright colour to catch people's attention...

Pinball Companies - can you guys chip in a small donation to help out....

I am sure once Don gets this Pin, this will be the pride and joy that he will maintain and play for the rest of his life, lets put a smile on his face in this difficult time of his life

#19 10 years ago
Quoted from stretch2:

pm for Craig's Address.I'm guessing that you could send a check.

it is very simple to open an account. after all, I was able to.....paypal.com a very convenient thing to have anyway.

#20 10 years ago

I stuck the topic. Should keep it on the front page. Will leave it like this while the fundraising is going on unless it is breaking a rule I don't know about, in which case I will unstick the topic.

Good luck; this is a very nice thing everyone is doing.

#21 10 years ago

Yep; it stuck on the All Pinball Sub Forum page on the top. It will continue to float up and down on the main page but if someone checks the All Pinball topic it will be on the top.

#22 10 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

I stuck the topic.

Great! That should help. I'll post updates and make it clear when we have reached the goal. I hope that happens fairly quickly. I don't want to miss out on the generous offer made by the seller in California. I am happy to sit here all evening and all day tomorrow answering PMs and entering data into the donations ledger if that's what it takes.

#23 10 years ago

PM sent.

#24 10 years ago

be careful with paypal. They tend to strike down sudden influxes of payments on accounts. I've seen it happen when good deeds like this are started.

good luck!

#25 10 years ago
Quoted from lordloss:

be careful with paypal.

Any advice about how to avoid this problem? So far, everything seems to be working. Would it help if I phoned them to explain the situation (as one does when using a credit card overseas, for example)?

#26 10 years ago
Quoted from Craig:

Any advice about how to avoid this problem? So far, everything seems to be working. Would it help if I phoned them to explain the situation (as one does when using a credit card overseas, for example)?

Might be beneficial.Paypal's phone # is : 1-888-221-1161

#27 10 years ago

PM sent...

#28 10 years ago

PM sent

#29 10 years ago
Quoted from stretch2:

Might be beneficial.Paypal's phone # is : 1-888-221-1161

I just phoned them, and they seemed cooperative. The guy I spoke to put a notice on the account so that those reviewing activity would understand what was happening (e.g., that this is not a business). Thanks for the good advice!

#31 10 years ago

PM also sent.

#32 10 years ago

I beleive the seller (the nice one in CA) is a pinsider, maybe you can negotiate with him to sell it directly for what he is into it for?

also great gesture!

#33 10 years ago

PM Sent

#34 10 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

I beleive the seller (the nice one in CA) is a pinsider, maybe you can negotiate with him to sell it directly for what he is into it for?

We've spoken, and he has already agreed to sell it at a greatly discounted price. We are still going to need to raise quite a bit of cash, however. Right now we are at $440, but at least five people have contacted me about contributing who have not yet made it to Paypal.

So, we're off to a good start, but we still have a long way to go. I'll keep offering updates through the evening and again tomorrow.

#35 10 years ago

PM sent from NC

#36 10 years ago

C'mon Pinsiders, skip a night out and contribute to a really good cause instead.

#37 10 years ago

I donated an hours worth of pay
Come on folks donate
The cost of a set of rubbers and wax
Anything

#38 10 years ago

Sent a little donation just then, every bit will help in an effort like this so come on and chip in for a good cause.

#39 10 years ago

We're now up to $670, which means that we have about $2,800 to go. I feel like Jerry Lewis! I need one of those thermometer signs...

#40 10 years ago
Quoted from Craig:

We're now up to $670, which means that we have about $2,800 to go. I feel like Jerry Lewis! I need one of those thermometer signs...

Nothing wrong with that.Keep up the good work here....

#41 10 years ago

PM Sent

#42 10 years ago

Bump up

#43 10 years ago

PM sent.

I run a community myself and there is nothing that provides me with a better feeling than when a community rallies to support its members.

#45 10 years ago

One small problem has arisen: Paypal names are often different from the Pinside names, so I can't always tell to whom to credit the donation. Would you please add a note to the Paypal exchange saying which Pinsider you are? That will help me keep the bookkeeping straight.

We are now at $900. Thanks to all who have gotten us off to such a good start!

#46 10 years ago

PM sent....never met him, but seeing him reach out like this.....I'm in......"c" note.....

#47 10 years ago

PM sent

#48 10 years ago

I just gave you my PayPal name in pure text.......glad to be a part ...

#49 10 years ago

Done. It will be great to make this happen!

#50 10 years ago

Done, as well......thanks for putting this together...

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Sound/Speakers
There are 440 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 9.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/lets-help-don-buy-that-tommy-in-memory-of-his-son and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.