(Topic ID: 77142)

Lethal Weapon 3 flipper and plunger issues...

By gern

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 48 posts
  • 10 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by mima
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

CIMG1939.JPG
CIMG1940.JPG
CIMG1941.JPG
CIMG1944.JPG
CIMG1943.JPG
CIMG1942.JPG
image-14.jpg
20140115_193506.jpg
20140115_184940.jpg
wire.jpg
IMG_20140115_151343_243.jpg
512PQ0HKR2L._SL500_AA300_.jpg
20140114_184806[1].jpg
20140113_223615.jpg
20140113_223218.jpg
20140113_223438.jpg
#1 10 years ago

Hi all! I recently purchased my first pin, a Lethal Weapon 3 machine as noted in this thread: http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/looking-to-jump-in-some-questions-though. My Dad is coming over Saturday to look at the machine with me. He owned a pinball when I was younger and is an electrician. So I am hoping he can help me get the hang of this. In the meantime I thought I'd ask about the issues I've found here in hopes to fix what I can before then.

Over the last few days I've been looking through the manual/schematics. I've been just trying to familiarize myself with the different parts and the wiring. As per my thread above, one of the issues with the machine is the flippers and ball plunger don't work. I did some looking around on the machine last night and noticed the F5 fuse on the PPB Board was blown. The manual indicates that is the fuse for the flippers. I have some replacement fuses and have not put a replacement in yet.

In the image below there is a white and red wire that isn't connected to anything. It appears that it should be connected to the switch that it is nearest to. All the other switches that look like the one in the image have 3 wires connected to them except the one pictured. Should the white and red wire be connected to that switch? Would it cause the fuse to blow if it was disconnected?

20140113_223500.jpg20140113_223500.jpg
#2 10 years ago

The next thing I noticed is a connector that is not connected to anything. I cannot find a corresponding connector. I am sure it is listed in the manual, but I have yet to find where. It is pictured below.

20140113_223438.jpg20140113_223438.jpg
#3 10 years ago

The last thing I've found so far is a ground wire behind the backglass that isn't connected to anything. Any thoughts on what the could have been connected to? It is a rather long wire.

20140113_223218.jpg20140113_223218.jpg
#4 10 years ago

Ok, ok, ok last thing I found. This coil is just laying on the floor of the pin. Could it be the coil for the knocker?

20140113_223615.jpg20140113_223615.jpg
#5 10 years ago

Just got home from work and decided to replace the fuse and temporarily attach the loose wire and see what would happen. The good news is the flippers and ball plunger started working! The bad news is that the plunger coil started smoking! I immediately turned the machine off. The fuse didn't blow, which I thought was strange. I noticed before I raised the playfield was that it looks like it is possible the metal strip for the right flipper is coming in contact with the coil when the flipper button is pressed. Would that cause the smoke or would that be a bad coil?

#6 10 years ago

Maybe we can help each other got same problem with mine blowing fuse #5. Mine had a wire from the ball launch coil shorting out to the flipper button. fixed wire and put in new coil but still blowing. fuse. If i disconnect ball launch coil and one other coil that has same color wire to it, it does not blow fuse.

#7 10 years ago
Quoted from gern:

The next thing I noticed is a connector that is not connected to anything. I cannot find a corresponding connector. I am sure it is listed in the manual, but I have yet to find where. It is pictured below.

20140113_223438.jpg 654 KB

This does not have anything hooked to mine either.

#8 10 years ago
Quoted from gern:

Ok, ok, ok last thing I found. This coil is just laying on the floor of the pin. Could it be the coil for the knocker?

The coil in bottom i believe to for knocker, though mine has been removed.

#9 10 years ago

Not sure from that picture, of the red and white wrie. Can you take one with playfield up. I believe that wire goes to the ball trough switch.

#10 10 years ago
Quoted from gern:

The last thing I've found so far is a ground wire behind the backglass that isn't connected to anything. Any thoughts on what the could have been connected to? It is a rather long wire.

20140113_223218.jpg 462 KB

Mine does not have that red ground wire.

#11 10 years ago

Thanks for the replies pinij93. Here is a pic of the white and red wire with the playfield up. I connected it to the switch directly above it.

Are there any pictures I can take that would help you out?

20140114_184806[1].jpg20140114_184806[1].jpg
#12 10 years ago

Anyone have any thoughts on what that white and red should be attached to?

I also had an idea... the coil that is on the floor of the machine for the missing knocker, could it be used to replace the plunger coil? I'm at work right now and can't verify from my pictures what the part number is on the knocker coil. But in looking at the manual it appears that they are the same coil.

If they are the same coil and I swap the old knocker one for the plunger, what should be done about the wires for the old knocker? Should they be wire nutted off?

#13 10 years ago

The empty connector in the bottom of the cabinet is probably not used.

Take the fuse out and verify it is the correct type and amperage. There should be a fuse diagram in the manual or even stapled inside the cabinet somewhere.

I would avoid connecting wires if you aren't absolutely sure where they go. If you smoked a coil, you could also cause other damage to the circuit boards. If a wire is off, it won't cause a fuse to blow. It is more likely that this wire was disconnected deliberately because a previous owner could not find the the fault and gave up.

The picture showing the ground wire confuses me. What wire do you see that is not connected and how do you decide it is a ground wire?

Don't start swapping out parts to troubleshoot. Even if the coil you think is for the knocker is the same as the one you think is bad, you will likely just end up damaging more parts. What "plunger" are you referring to?

Any wires left loose in the cabinet have the potential to short against something and wreak havoc. Always cap off loose wires.

#14 10 years ago

^^^^read the above post like 4 times^^^^ exactly was going to be my response.

I want to try and add to you questions: YOU CAN LOOK IN THE MANUAL TO DETERMINE WHERE THAT WIRE GOES. Look for WH/RED or WHITE/RED in the switch matrix chart in your manual. Most pinball manufacturers use two color wire codes... The wire in your picture is white/red (white being the dominant color, red being the "stripe"). The manual should at least give you a hint as to where it should go... However, it may not be a switch wire, it could go to a coil. Like Pafasa said, make sure you know before you connect it or you are gonna blow stuff up.

If you power a pinball on and a coil locks on on power up, it will fry more stuff. One way to get around this is to CUT one of the leads going to that coil. It should allow you to power up the machine not causing further damage by that particular coil. IF THERE ARE TWO WIRES OF THE SAME COLOR GOING TO SAID COIL, IT WILL BE EASIER TO DESOLDER/CUT THE SINGLE WIRE SIDE.

Before you worry about FIXING anything not working you MUST MUST MUST get the display working (or replaced: looks gased out and unfixable in the pic) and then, familiarize yourself with ALL the tests using the coin door switches. Make sure the AUTO/UP switch on a Data East is in the down position in order to enter TESTS.

YOU WILL NEED A WORKING DISPLAY and working coin door switches TO TROUBLESHOOT AND FIX THIS GAME EFFICIENTLY!

DON'T READ THIS UNTIL YOU KNOW HOW TO USE THE DIAGNOSTIC TESTS.
As a side note, if a coil locks on, it happened because something else failed. 90% of the time, it is a transistor on the driver board in the head of the game. You can determine which transistor drives the coil using the manual.

#15 10 years ago
Quoted from snyper2099:

Before you worry about FIXING anything not working you MUST get the display replaced (looks gased out and unfixable) and then, familiarize yourself with the tests. YOU WILL NEED A WORKING DISPLAY TO TROUBLESHOOT THIS GAME EFFICIENTLY.

I agree with this, but if you can't turn the machine on without smoking something, you need to get that figured out first. I would leave the old display in until you stop frying things. Then.......Snyper is right about the DMD. I doubt it is repairable. I would take the used DMD that was offered to you in the other thread and start with that. Once you get the game up and running and decide you want to replace the used one with the line missing, offer that used one back up on the site for someone else to use! Pay It Forward is a big plus in the pinball hobby!

#16 10 years ago

Well yeah, that's why I suggested disconnecting the coil. GERN, if you don't have a multimeter, go buy one and learn how to use it! You will also need a soldering iron and solder if you don't own those items already.

512PQ0HKR2L._SL500_AA300_.jpg512PQ0HKR2L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

#17 10 years ago
Quoted from Pafasa:

I agree with this, but if you can't turn the machine on without smoking something, you need to get that figured out first. I would leave the old display in until you stop frying things. Then.......Snyper is right about the DMD. I doubt it is repairable. I would take the used DMD that was offered to you in the other thread and start with that. Once you get the game up and running and decide you want to replace the used one with the line missing, offer that used one back up on the site for someone else to use! Pay It Forward is a big plus in the pinball hobby!

Pafasa,

I hoping the other DMD that was offered in my other thread will be on its way soon. And great idea on paying it forward. With all the help here so far I will definitely be helping out whenever I can.

#18 10 years ago
Quoted from Pafasa:

The empty connector in the bottom of the cabinet is probably not used.
Take the fuse out and verify it is the correct type and amperage. There should be a fuse diagram in the manual or even stapled inside the cabinet somewhere.
I would avoid connecting wires if you aren't absolutely sure where they go. If you smoked a coil, you could also cause other damage to the circuit boards. If a wire is off, it won't cause a fuse to blow. It is more likely that this wire was disconnected deliberately because a previous owner could not find the the fault and gave up.
The picture showing the ground wire confuses me. What wire do you see that is not connected and how do you decide it is a ground wire?
Don't start swapping out parts to troubleshoot. Even if the coil you think is for the knocker is the same as the one you think is bad, you will likely just end up damaging more parts. What "plunger" are you referring to?
Any wires left loose in the cabinet have the potential to short against something and wreak havoc. Always cap off loose wires.

Thank you so much for the replay/advice.

I've looked in the manual and verified the fuse and amperage. I've also got a supply of fuses.

The reason I decided that the one picture is a ground wire, is because it is just attached to a bolt in the image. The wire doesn't go anywhere. So my thought was that it was ground wire for something.

The plunger I was referring to would be the ball plunger. I am sure that I am using the wrong terminology there. I guess it would be called the ball launcher.

That white and red wire was loose and looks like it was connected to something at one time. In looking at the manual there are a few mentions of a white/red wire. In one diagram it says its for the plumb tilt and a mention of it being for 25 VAC for Solenoids. I am looking at the manual online right now and it is kind of hard to read.

Thanks again for all the advice!

#19 10 years ago

I would find a paper manual.

go here to download the manual and print it off

http://www.ipdb.org/machine.cgi?id=1433

#20 10 years ago

Thanks Pafasa. I actually have the original manual at home. This link will come in handy for when I'm at work though!

#21 10 years ago

Gern, looking at mine in daylight now. Everything looks the same as mine. except that white and red wire. No where to be found on mine, i would not hook it to that flipper coil. My flipper coil has the blue and yellow and the orange and purple on the the flipper coil. I wire i though was red and white is actually orange and white, looking at in day light and that goes to switch. Which looks like then same as your picture.

#22 10 years ago

Pic

IMG_20140115_151343_243.jpgIMG_20140115_151343_243.jpg
#23 10 years ago

Thank you pinij93! I think I see the white and red wire in your pic. Is that wire at the top right of your image it? Perhaps attached to the ball detect switch (at least I think that is what is is).

Here is a pic I found on google that appears to be the same thing. I blew it up a little in PhotoShop.

wire.jpgwire.jpg
#24 10 years ago

No I thought it was white and red. It white and orange on switch looks like you have same white and orange on your switch

#25 10 years ago

Check my lethal weapon there is no white and red wire there.it looks like a add on..you should check out my post on lethal weapon mods..you might get some cool ideas..let me know if you get your knoker working ..this is the only issue with my machine

#26 10 years ago

His display went in the mail today, so hopefully he'll have that by this weekend to help in troubleshooting.

#27 10 years ago
Quoted from dgoett:

His display went in the mail today, so hopefully he'll have that by this weekend to help in troubleshooting.

HUGE thanks to dgoett! I am so impressed with everyone's willingness to help out. I hope I can return the favor someday! This has got to be the best forum I've been on and I've only been a member for about a week!

#28 10 years ago

I was taking a look a the pin tonight and took a better picture. Should there be a wire going to this switch?20140115_184940.jpg20140115_184940.jpg

#29 10 years ago

Another mystery! When I put the playfield in the service position I found this light assembly. Any one have an idea where this goes? I see a connector that it would appear to fit. Just not sure where the rest goes... if it even goes to the machine. I haven't plugged it in to the connector yet. I'm going to see if I can find it in the manual.

20140115_193506.jpg20140115_193506.jpg

#30 10 years ago
Quoted from gern:

Another mystery! When I put the playfield in the service position I found this light assembly. Any one have an idea where this goes? I see a connector that it would appear to fit. Just not sure where the rest goes... if it even goes to the machine. I haven't plugged it in to the connector yet. I'm going to see if I can find it in the manual.

20140115_193506.jpg 371 KB

That goes over the shooter lane...There is probably a picture of it on IPDB

#31 10 years ago
Quoted from gern:

I was taking a look a the pin tonight and took a better picture. Should there be a wire going to this switch?

20140115_184940.jpg 486 KB

Yes, there should be another wire connected to that switch. Maybe the loose White/red wire. I don't know for sure though. Maybe Pinij93 could verify this for you?

#32 10 years ago

I found the pic below on ipdb. It looks like a white and red wire is attached to the same switch I have pictured. I'm trying to figure out exactly where the wire is attached. It looks like the side opposite of the diode. Can any one confirm that. I cannot find anything in the manual about how the wires attach to that switch.

image-14.jpgimage-14.jpg

#33 10 years ago

Based on this pic and the one of yours, looks like the white/red wire should be attached to the tab coming out of the side of the switch. The non-banded side of the diode is also attached there. This makes sense because the diode blocks current coming towards the wire.

Look at the springs for the flipper return on that IPDB pic. I bet it works "OK" but the left flipper probably feels a bit different than the right because of the different angle of pull from the return spring. Can't imagine that is how the manufacturer intended this to be...

#34 10 years ago

just took a couple of pictures from my lw3.
i bought it 4 weeks ago (as my xmas present) and it had a GI failure & light matrix of the playfield was not working.

I solved the GI problem by installing new connector - old one was burnt. the light matrix was a "hard one". I had a weird reading on my dmm - there was a connection problem with the machine ground on the Power board - so I resoldered the complete Power board. This solved the light matrix problem.
Spent about 10 hours cleaning - BBQ cleaner was the only thing that really worked against nicotine residue - be careful apply and rinse off with clear water right after! Tried plastics (not the ones with prints on the back) in the dishwasher first - didnt work - BBQ cleaner made them look like new!

the pin is working fine now - and tons of fun !

if you need more pics - let me know

Good Luck

Mike

CIMG1944.JPGCIMG1944.JPG CIMG1943.JPGCIMG1943.JPG CIMG1942.JPGCIMG1942.JPG CIMG1941.JPGCIMG1941.JPG CIMG1940.JPGCIMG1940.JPG CIMG1939.JPGCIMG1939.JPG
#35 10 years ago

Thanks for the pics Mike! It's good to know that I've got that white/red wire connected correctly. My main issue now is that I need to replace the TIP36C transistor at Q1. I've got it ordered and will hopefully have the machine fully functional this week!

#36 10 years ago
Quoted from gern:

Thanks for the pics Mike! It's good to know that I've got that white/red wire connected correctly. My main issue now is that I need to replace the TIP36C transistor at Q1. I've got it ordered and will hopefully have the machine fully functional this week!

There are probably one or two transistors up the line from that TIP36. Did those test out ok? If something blew out the TIP36, there is a good chance those "pre-drive" transistors got a hit too.

#37 10 years ago
Quoted from Pafasa:

There are probably one or two transistors up the line from that TIP36. Did those test out ok? If something blew out the TIP36, there is a good chance those "pre-drive" transistors got a hit too.

I haven't taken the board out to test them yet. But I did order extras just in case. I will probably remove the board and test it tonight or tomorrow night. Thanks for the heads up Pafasa!

#38 10 years ago

Glad you are making progress. I don't know your DE board specifically, but In my experience, the tip36 is usually switched by a smaller transistor like a tip102 which in turn is usually switched by a smaller transistor yet. They work to insulate the logic circuits from the high current coils driven by the tip36.

Do you have access to Clay's troubleshooting guides? There is a wealth of useful info there for testing transistors.

#39 10 years ago
Quoted from Pafasa:

Glad you are making progress. I don't know your DE board specifically, but In my experience, the tip36 is usually switched by a smaller transistor like a tip102 which in turn is usually switched by a smaller transistor yet. They work to insulate the logic circuits from the high current coils driven by the tip36.
Do you have access to Clay's troubleshooting guides? There is a wealth of useful info there for testing transistors.

I am not sure if I have read any of Clay's troubleshooting guides. I've looked at a lot of sites lately. Is it a website, pdf, or an actual book?

#40 10 years ago

The guides were up on his site free years ago. AFAIK, they are no longer available there. They were what I would consider comprehensive Pinball Repair guides. Pinwiki.com is slowly building up its resources. You may find good help there.

Do you have a Manual with board schematics and component ID?

#41 10 years ago
Quoted from Pafasa:

The guides were up on his site free years ago. AFAIK, they are no longer available there. They were what I would consider comprehensive Pinball Repair guides. Pinwiki.com is slowly building up its resources. You may find good help there.
Do you have a Manual with board schematics and component ID?

I have all those repair guides and could host them in Dropbox if anyone wants them.

#42 10 years ago

btw: did you find out what the purpose of the coil is that is laying on the floor ?
i have the same one...

Mike

#43 10 years ago
Quoted from mikebecool:

btw: did you find out what the purpose of the coil is that is laying on the floor ?
i have the same one...
Mike

Mike, I haven't looked it up in the manual but it appears to be a coil for the knocker assembly. I'm not sure why the assembly was removed from both of our machines. I'll take a look at the manual later to confirm it.

#44 10 years ago

Hi, maybe a little off topic.... but lethal weapon owners could know this:

i am looking for a color "code" for the blue color used on our LW3 machines. my machine has a couple of scratches i would like to touch up.

Any ideas?

thanks in advance !

Mike

#45 10 years ago

Mike, I'm in the same boat. Once I get my machine up and running I am going to try and match the paint. If I figure it out I'll let you know.

#46 10 years ago

perfect.. gern any progres to your transistor change yet? i was lucky.. only had the false ground issue on mine.

heads up !!! you are close to gaming!

#47 10 years ago
Quoted from mikebecool:

perfect.. gern any progres to your transistor change yet? i was lucky.. only had the false ground issue on mine.
heads up !!! you are close to gaming!

I did get the transistor changed. I was having some issues with the outhole coil. But it's fixed now. Here is the thread on it. Thanks for the encouragement. This place has really helped me out.

http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/lethal-weapon-3-balls-piling-up-in-outhole-how-should-this-process-work

4 weeks later
#48 10 years ago
Quoted from gern:

Mike, I haven't looked it up in the manual but it appears to be a coil for the knocker assembly. I'm not sure why the assembly was removed from both of our machines. I'll take a look at the manual later to confirm it.

It is a part of the knocker assembly. Alltough youre missing the brackets
//mima

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

3,800 (OBO)
$ 18.95
$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 28.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 17.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 32.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 17.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

4,995 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Plantsville, CT
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

3,995 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Rochester, MN
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 85.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

3,377 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
York, NE
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/lethal-weapon-3-flipper-and-plunger-issues and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.