You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

1330746257874.jpg
1330815842834.jpg
1328945649127.jpg
#1 11 years ago

If I want to redo the SM and GnR with LEDs is Cointaker the best bet?

#2 11 years ago

I just got done doing my GNR with a combination of Cointakers and ablaze from pinballife. I can you send you pics if you like. My suggestion is to colormatch all your inserts and use coolwhite superbrights in your backbox.

1328945649127.jpg1328945649127.jpg 1330815842834.jpg1330815842834.jpg 1330746257874.jpg1330746257874.jpg

#3 11 years ago

Thats the kind of help I need. I assumed a kit had everything. But Pinball life has some particular pieces and Cointaker says kit. Any advice appreciated. That looks MONEY!!

#4 11 years ago
Quoted from DCfoodfreak:

Thats the kind of help I need. I assumed a kit had everything. But Pinball life has some particular pieces and Cointaker says kit. Any advice appreciated. That looks MONEY!!

I got my ToM complete lot from CT and I couldn't be happier. Awesome kit and I wouldn't change a thing.

#5 11 years ago
Quoted from shovelhed:

My suggestion is to colormatch all your inserts and use coolwhite superbrights in your backbox.

Completely and totally agree with that. I have done the same on two machines, and it is well worth it. Take your time and think things through. Don't use JUST frosted LEDs - use 170 wide angles, super or ultra brights, color changers if appropriate - really look at all your options. It is well worth it!

#6 11 years ago

Usually we say use White for yellow inserts of they come out looking brownish & muddy.

#7 11 years ago

Go with a premium (no ghost) kit from Cointaker

#8 11 years ago
Quoted from NPO:

Completely and totally agree with that. I have done the same on two machines, and it is well worth it. Take your time and think things through. Don't use JUST frosted LEDs - use 170 wide angles, super or ultra brights, color changers if appropriate - really look at all your options. It is well worth it!

Whoah. thats not me.. good advice but I need easy. Technical dork : o

So I guess I am looking for the best EASY choice.

#9 11 years ago
Quoted from DCfoodfreak:

Whoah. thats not me.. good advice but I need easy. Technical dork : o

So I guess I am looking for the best EASY choice.

Technical dork-no problem! It's much more artistic then technical.

#10 11 years ago

Will Cointaker tell me what I need then? Or is Pinball life?

#11 11 years ago

Cointaker is your best bet.

#12 11 years ago

I know Cointaker has kits made up for most machines. You can buy just backbox, GI, playfield or the whole shooting match. I think Pinball Life does too. I went with a kit my first time around. It's pricey! It takes some experience with LED's to figure out for youself what works best for your tastes.

#13 11 years ago
Quoted from DCfoodfreak:

Will Cointaker tell me what I need then? Or is Pinball life?

Yep pretty much...Chris and Melissa at Cointaker are great to deal with. They have some awesome kits for SM...I have most of them, but I also improvised some of my own choices in there as well...
Phoebe

#14 11 years ago

Remember the pinside discount!

PLUS pinballife is down for 24 hours....just in time.

#15 11 years ago

I cant say enough about cointaker. As far as the GNR I have no issues with ghosting. However Cointakers new premium non Ghosting supers are awsome. Plus you get 10% off. Win win

#16 11 years ago

Spiderman needs a no ghost kit pretty bad. I'd get a cointaker premium kit. I'd get several frosted 44's for the GI in various colors you want to use. My spiderman looks awesome. Unfortunately, pictures don't do LED's justice.

Definitely, for spidey, load up your goblin in green frosted bulbs and put green flasher bulbs either LED or regular green flashers underneath him.

#17 11 years ago

COINTAKER!

#18 11 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

Definitely, for spidey, load up your goblin in green frosted bulbs and put green flasher bulbs either LED or regular green flashers underneath him.

So if I order a premium kit do I need these extra lights as well?

#19 11 years ago

Order from cointaker definitely.

Get your manual and find out how many bulbs youll need and what kinds.

Don't change your flashers. No need to if you ask me. $4.00+ for one light...? No thanks.

It's not highly technical at all. As long as you know what kind of bulbs (555 wedge ended, 44/47 screw and turn bulbs,etc) you need and how many of each = a very nice first project for a new pin owner...Hey...a new...pin..owner....and my name....OMG D: *twilight zone music*.

#20 11 years ago

If you do it like NPO suggests you need to note the color of the inserts from your playfield and match that with the bulb list from your manual. Most people suggest you match the insert color with the LED except for yellow inserts where you should use white. Not talking from experience however. I made a similar list for my JM playfield to order LED's but just ordered the kit instead. I hope to have that installed this weekend.

#21 11 years ago

Thanks gang!

#22 11 years ago
Quoted from NPO:

shovelhed said:My suggestion is to colormatch all your inserts and use coolwhite superbrights in your backbox.

Has anyone done a one for one cost factor,buying seperately picked Led's vs
CoinTakers premium kits?

#23 11 years ago

Not sure if anyone has mentioned this, but I recommend Cointaker.

#24 11 years ago
Quoted from romulusx:

Has anyone done a one for one cost factor,buying seperately picked Led's vs
CoinTakers premium kits?

Here are all the bulbs I bought for JM - NOT including flasher/strobes. Do +/- 5 bulbs just in case I missed one here or there.

25 W555F 555 WHITE Frosted
$0.69 $17.25
15 B555W 555 BLUE 170 Degree Wide Angle
$0.59 $8.85
21 R44W 44/47 RED 170 Degree/Wide
$0.59 $12.39
10 R555W 555 RED 170 Degree Wide Angle
$0.59 $5.90
11 O555W 555 ORANGE 170 Degree Wide Angle
$0.59 $6.49
12 CW555W 555 COOL WHITE 170 Degree Wide Angle
$0.59 $7.08
2 O44W 44/47 ORANGE 170 Degree/Wide
$0.59 $1.18
5 B44W 44/47 BLUE 170 Degree/Wide
$0.59 $2.95
9 G555W 555 GREEN 170 Degree Wide Angle
$0.59 $5.31
8 CW44W 44/47 COOL WHITE 170 Degree/Wide
$0.59 $4.72
2 Y555W 555 YELLOW 170 Degree Wide Angle
$0.59 $1.18
1 Y44W 44/47 YELLOW 170 Degree/Wide
$0.59 $0.59
1 COLOR CHANGER SLOW 555 555 COLOR CHANGER SLOW/FADE
$4.49 $4.49

Total: $78.38 before shipping - $84.53 after

Comparison: my translite is lit with the 25 LEDs for $17.25. Cointaker's kit is $33.95 - keep in mind CT's kit is with Superbrights and those are significantly more expen$ive than the frosted cool white lights I use.

Comparatively speaking, CT kits for the playfield, GI, and translite amount up to $176.85 - vs $78.38. Keep in mind I used frosted and 170 angle LEDs, whereas his kits are Superbrights - BIG difference there in price per unit.

As you can see though, it all turned out just fine .

http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/johnny-mnemonic-before-and-after-with-leds

The video showcasing the entire pin (with exception of flashers and cybermatrix at the top right) having been converted to LEDs is in the LAST POST at the bottom of the topic page. Enjoy!

Keep in mind, I've done both TFTC and JM with very pleasing results. I cant take credit for JP - dung did it before I acquired the machine. All three of my machines now/are in the process of being nearly 100% converted to LEDs, and I bought no kits.

Not to slam Cointaker - their kits are well thought out and suite their purpose perfectly. I just prefer to "experiment" and "Frankenstein" my pins .

Life is good .

#25 11 years ago
Quoted from DCfoodfreak:

If I want to redo the SM and GnR with LEDs is Cointaker the best bet?

Where did you get an SM from?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 49.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

7,200 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Kingston, MA
Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 64.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Lermods

$ 16.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 549.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Juz PINBALL Mods

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 25.50
6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Chelsea, MI
$ 28.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

6,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Saint Johns, MI
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

Machine - For Sale
Rockford, IL
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/leds-which-place-to-get-a-kit and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.