Topic Stats

• 11 posts
  • 9 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by dirtlwyr
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 10 years ago

Bought some frosted dome LEDs from PinballLife to use for GI on a Gottlieb Big Hurt machine, however, the dome is too wide and doesn't fit through the hole in the playfield. Anyone else face this problem? Looking for any recommendations on LED brand that might be narrower. Are flattops generally narrower?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

#2 10 years ago

You can trim the plastic off the sides of those bulbs with some small side cutters.

#3 10 years ago

Embarrassed to admit I didn't even think to try trimming them. I'll give it a shot. Thanks.

#4 10 years ago

I just had this problem also with CoinTaker LEDs. I found the hole in the playfield was so close that I could use a 1/2 inch drill bit on a very slow drill to carefully smooth out the burrs (I think the standard hole for the lamps is already 1/2). It did no damage to the PF and the lamps are generally under plastics, ramps, etc. so it doesn't cause any harm anyway. I think you'll find this much easier than trying to file off the LEDs, just use the slow drill and you'll be fine.

#5 10 years ago

Common problem. Cometbulbs is making some newer narrower bulbs to work around that I believe.

#6 10 years ago

We need something! I should not have to sand down LED bulbs to fit through pf GI. Such a PITA.

Since these are for GI, just make a warm white frosted one that is narrow and I will buy tons of them.

Sure colors would be nice, but lets just get the narrowness figured out first.

#7 10 years ago

I should have my samples in white, both bases, I hope in 2-3 weeks. They are a round diamond faceted Rhombus on top and sides of lens, and maybe the interior in the mold...sorry, I am out of memory. They produce a light about 50% further in throw then a frosted, no eyeburn, so between a clear and a frosted lens. Proto;s fit fine on my Gottlieb, and I had a lot of interest at SPF. Once the whites pass muster, then Ill go until full production,
Can someone tell me if all Gottliebs use 44/47, or did they mix bases? Any ratios?
This will help me with stock.
Ill make a post when they come in. 4 weeks for you guys to be my testers, and another 6-8 weeks till full inventory.

Art
www.cometpinball.com

(I have high volume bulbs now in test for Gottliebs, these above will be standard 5050 "Super Brights")

#8 10 years ago

You can try the 8mm or 6mm retro bulbs from Comet.
How large are the holes for the playfield?

#9 10 years ago

I can confirm that Cointaker 2LED clear domed white bulbs will fit in a Frank Thomas Big Hurt GI.

http://shop.cointaker.com/category.sc;jsessionid=E819E55DDED78978A67057255EFA41FD.m1plqscsfapp04?categoryId=136

Those.

#10 10 years ago

There was a batch a few months back that most companies were carrying that were not fitting in gottlieb games since they have narrower hole. I know CT and PBB have both corrected this since I've personally seen the updated bulbs. I imagine the others have or will on their next orders

#11 10 years ago

Thanks for all the input. This is my first pin and the array of LEDs available is overwhelming for a novice!

A couple of responses:

wmsRocks--Have to admit that drilling scares me as a novice--1 slip and I could have a real disaster. Maybe would make sense for me if I took playfield completely apart, but I haven't done that here. thanks for the suggestion though.

OldPinGuy--I can't speak for all Gottliebs, but at least on this machine, everything is bayonet, no wedge. Looking forward to testing out the new bulbs!

ExtraCredits--I haven't measured the holes yet, but will.

Gov--Thanks for the info!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
3,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Nashville, TENNESSEE
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 3.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/led-domes-too-wide-for-playfield-hole and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.