20240317_164915 (resized).jpg
IMG20231222163745 (resized).jpg
20231217_164559 (resized).jpg
20231217_163932 (resized).jpg
20231119_150215 (resized).jpg
20231119_195951 (resized).jpg
bad_matrix (resized).jpg
20231022_194847 (resized).jpg
There are 3,518 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 71.
#1 10 years ago

Recently picked up a very nice LAH, I have to say, it's a pretty great game. Similar to Data East stuff, of course, I had Jurassic Park and they used similar 'stuff' on that title, but I think this one is more fun.

It's not a flow game, by any means, but it is certainly a shot game. I really like the precision necessary to hit the captured balls and the right scoop shot. I also like the skill shot, much like T2, and the crane lock award by completing the targets.

It has an incredible amount of features in one game, (2) captured balls, (1) 'ripper' kickback, (3) scoops, (1) VUK, crane, (3) magnets in the middle (like Adams Family), lane changing ramp, several 6 ball multiball modes, etc. Pretty amazing amount of toys in the game that change things up a lot.

I think it deserves a better rating than 7.9, and certainly more fun than T2 and Jurassic Park.

#2 10 years ago

Also has a topper, shaker and button guard side rails. I believe it takes a beating because of the movie and the translite, but that's good, it keeps LAH affordable.

#3 10 years ago

Definitely a fun game. First one I ever bought, and I still have it. Love the magnets.

#4 10 years ago

I really like this game...I generally not a fan of D.E. but I had Tommy and it was great except it was like kryptonite to my style of playing, I traded it and got LAH a few months ago, still having problems with the a weak right flipper...so it;s not working 100% right now, but the game is definitely action packed.

#5 10 years ago

my first also. so much to do... led'd mine looks awesome. having crane issues though. always drops wrong place. in test says its fine and alligned right. does anyone think buying new crane assembly will fix or is it something in the boards? it picks up fine but seems to mostly drop ball to early.

#6 10 years ago

*Sigh* I'd love love to join this club someday. If anyone here has one they want to get rid of, I'm interested

#7 10 years ago

I can say I have restored 4 of them, so I am in this club! Love this game, just put a new speaker system in the one I have now and just finished restoring.. I really like the alt translite too!

#8 10 years ago

The crane issue is common, I had problems as well, I had to adjusted it a bunch of times, since it's down I'm not sure if it's fixed completely, but if it's picking up and dropping off then most likely it just needs to be adjusted. In any case if you do buy a new crane make sure it's a new one because chances are the used one may be worn too. BTW, the crane adjustment is a allan key screw on the body of the crane (the hole near the crane cab)..the sweet spot is not letting the crane stay too long at near the end...in other words it should travel come to a stop for maybe 1.5 second then make it's way back toward the drop off...I noticed mine was taking 2.5 seconds to do the swing back and then it would stop short of the drop off. GL

Added over 4 years ago:

The fix for the crane was rebuilding the power supply....believe it or not, the caps get old and the crane slows down and the software will then release the ball before the crane docks, thinking the crane is broken. I changed the cap and the crane worked 100%

Added over 4 years ago:

Sorry I meant to say I changed the power supply bridge rectifier DB1....

#9 10 years ago

Got mine about a month ago but haven't played it much cuz it's in the garage with other games while I finish by basement arcade. Got the alt translight which look MUCH better then the original. Got 5 other guys to help me move them down this coming Sat. and have a slide set-up on the steps which will make it a breeze to "slide-um" down on their belly.

#10 10 years ago

I'm in the club! I got an LAH but stashed it at a friends house when I got too many pins. I think its time to bring him.home. And yes, I bought the alt translite but I'm not sure its that its much better than the original!

#11 10 years ago

I like it because you see all of Arnold in "Action" not just his big head. But I do wish the girl with the gun was bigger, like the original.

#12 10 years ago

Great club! Where's the booze?
LAH is a very good game, particularly for the money. There are so many options from the start as to what you want to pursue. It just doesn't get old. It's probably my favorite DE title and I have no plans on selling any time soon, that's for sure.

#13 10 years ago

LAH was my first pin too. I don't see myself ever selling it either, it's still one of my favorites.

#14 10 years ago

It's Arnold's big foot vs. Arnold's big face!

I like the foot better too.

#15 10 years ago

"I've just shot somebody, and I did it on purpose!"

Had my LAH for about 3 weeks now, and totally loving it. Just put Cliffys on, and getting used to the Dynamite scoop being more difficult to sink.

Favorite mode so far? Gotta be Super Crane.

Later,
EV

#16 10 years ago
Quoted from Dbaum88:

It's Arnold's big foot vs. Arnold's big face!
I like the foot better too.

#17 10 years ago

If the crane is dropping the ball too early, like the other poster had mentioned, it is not in the boards.. it needs to be adjusted , as stated under the crane where it attaches to the motor, there is an allen screw, you can loosen that screw and move the crane by hand, it will probably take several times to get it right, I only had one that I could not fix it that way, because the motor was too worn out... but the other 3 was able to adjust after a few tries. At least you can get a new motor still if that happens.. not worth the savings on a used one because you could end up exactly in the same position and be out that money too..

I would start with a very small turn on the crane towards the drop spot, since it is dropping right before there, but make sure the crane is in the middle, then turn the game off.. do a small turn towards the drop spot, and tighten it back up..

Hope that helps.

And I am in that club too... like the big foot over the big head.. even the poster looked like the alt translite, so that is kinda original if you look at it that way.

#18 10 years ago

I do think it's one of the best games of all time and yes I'm in the club. Its a deep game with a number of things to do. Tons of action. I do hate the build though it's awful.
I think its the best 6 ball mb in all of pinball.
Great great game!!!

#19 10 years ago

I got mine 10 days ago and plan to tear it down this week...Get it cleaned up and put LED's in. I haven't put much time in playing it what I'm looking forward to it.. I also got cliffy's to install..

#20 10 years ago
Quoted from EchoVictor:

"I've just shot somebody, and I did it on purpose!"
Had my LAH for about 3 weeks now, and totally loving it. Just put Cliffys on, and getting used to the Dynamite scoop being more difficult to sink.
Favorite mode so far? Gotta be Super Crane.
Later,
EV

Is that what he says when you hit the spinner? Lol.

#21 10 years ago

it seems as if my crane moves slo mo during gameplay but fast and smooth when resetting. i have ajusted several times but seems to fail shortly after dialing also i put frosted blues in upper lanes and green in letters just above and it s sweet looking. ripper is my fav feature although tough to hit.

#22 10 years ago

My ripper is lightening fast when I hit it, I can't even see it come back, way faster than JP was. I'm really digging the game, ordered the alt translite too, cliffys, new balls. Gonna tear it down and do the Treasure Cove thing (it already looks very nice, but can only get better). Also asked some advice from the Pinballbulbs.com guys and ordered a double spotlight with purple frosted to put on the lower left sling and see if that helps brighten up the playfield a bit, it's super dark there when you play in a dark room, which I prefer to do.

Super Crane is a fun mode for sure EchoVictor, I like Go to the Movies too, with the add-a-ball. Although, the captured balls are not a simple task to hit.

#23 10 years ago

Use the crane test, see how far it goes to the right, it should hit that switch and start back very quickly, if you hear it grinding before it heads back, you need to adjust it even more.

#24 10 years ago
Quoted from Matt_Rasmussen:

My ripper is lightening fast when I hit it, I can't even see it come back, way faster than JP was. I'm really digging the game, ordered the alt translite too, cliffys, new balls. Gonna tear it down and do the Treasure Cove thing (it already looks very nice, but can only get better). Also asked some advice from the Pinballbulbs.com guys and ordered a double spotlight with purple frosted to put on the lower left sling and see if that helps brighten up the playfield a bit, it's super dark there when you play in a dark room, which I prefer to do.
Super Crane is a fun mode for sure EchoVictor, I like Go to the Movies too, with the add-a-ball. Although, the captured balls are not a simple task to hit.

I read somewhere that a pink bulb lights almost as good as a white but makes the colors on the pf pop more. Did I get it wrong?

#25 10 years ago
Quoted from Matt_Rasmussen:

Is that what he says when you hit the spinner? Lol.

No, the spinner is Lt. Dekker, Arnie's boss. The joke from the movie is that the madder he gets, the more unintelligible his speech becomes.

The "I've just shot somebody and I did it on purpose!" is a quote from the bad guy Benedict (redhead with beard and funky glass eye). I've only heard that quote a couple of times and I think it was only during 6-ball multiball...

You really owe it to yourself to watch the movie again. It's extremely funny and satirical of itself.

Later,
EV

#26 10 years ago

I love my LAH and don't know if I will ever be able to get rid of it. It is more fun than a $1500 pin should be...to me it is worth much more. What would it take for you to get rid of yours?

#27 10 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

I read somewhere that a pink bulb lights almost as good as a white but makes the colors on the pf pop more. Did I get it wrong?

Yeah, the pinball bulb guy said that purple would be good on this one as a test, those colors tend to enhance the playfield, other than white which washes it out. We'll see.

#28 10 years ago
Quoted from EchoVictor:

No, the spinner is Lt. Dekker, Arnie's boss. The joke from the movie is that the madder he gets, the more unintelligible his speech becomes.
The "I've just shot somebody and I did it on purpose!" is a quote from the bad guy Benedict (redhead with beard and funky glass eye). I've only heard that quote a couple of times and I think it was only during 6-ball multiball...
You really owe it to yourself to watch the movie again. It's extremely funny and satirical of itself.
Later,
EV

Oh yeah, just heard that tonight. I will have to watch the movie again.

#29 10 years ago

I like the alternate translight but I don't know if I like it $100 more...

#30 10 years ago

Sorry I'm late to the party.

LAH owner checking in!!! GREAT GAME!!!!

#31 10 years ago
Quoted from Butch2099:

I like the alternate translight but I don't know if I like it $100 more...

mine is trashed, so I picked one up instead of the original.

#32 10 years ago

I started tearing down my LAH tonight, any advice on getting all of this off with the crane? Any tips/tricks would be appreciated..

1382570905701.jpg1382570905701.jpg 1382570929922.jpg1382570929922.jpg
#33 10 years ago

The crane has to go. Use an alan wrench.

#34 10 years ago
Quoted from tl54hill:

I was hoping someone wouldn't say that. I was thinking I might be able to work around it...guess not..

#35 10 years ago
Quoted from tp:

also i put frosted blues in upper lanes and green in letters just above and it s sweet looking. ripper is my fav feature although tough to hit.

I am doing the same thing. Please tell me I don't have to remove the ramp and the crane to put in the other two blue LED's on the left..? I've tried to figure it out without removing it, but looks like it is necessary.

photo 1.JPGphoto 1.JPG
photo 2.JPGphoto 2.JPG

#36 10 years ago
Quoted from tl54hill:

when you unscrew it does the whole crane come off? Or do you have to mess with the wiring?
Does it need to be readjusted when you put it back on?

#37 10 years ago
Quoted from Butch2099:

when you unscrew it does the whole crane come off? Or do you have to mess with the wiring?
Does it need to be readjusted when you put it back on?

The crane will slide off of the shaft, and will still be tethered to wires that go below the play field. You can unplug it from below if you want to remove it entirely, but may not be necessary depending on what you are trying to get to. You will have to readjust it when reinstalling, but that's not too awful; maybe 10 minutes of tinkering with the Allen screw and running the test mode.

#38 10 years ago
Quoted from mab487:

I am doing the same thing. Please tell me I don't have to remove the ramp and the crane to put in the other two blue LED's on the left..? I've tried to figure it out without removing it, but looks like it is necessary.

photo 1.JPG 125 KB

photo 2.JPG 94 KB

I don't have my game handy but can't you take the wood screw out from under the pf so the socket comes out and change the bulb that way.

#39 10 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

I don't have my game handy but can't you take the wood screw out from under the pf so the socket comes out and change the bulb that way.

Hmmm, I may go this route depending on what needs to be cleaned & replaced. If not I'll tinker with the crane...

Quoted from caker137:

but that's not too awful; maybe 10 minutes of tinkering with the Allen screw and running the test mode.

Is that 10 minutes pinball time = 30min real time? Followed by a help me thread

#40 10 years ago
Quoted from Butch2099:

Is that 10 minutes pinball time = 30min real time? Followed by a help me thread

It took me far too long to adjust mine when I reassembled it. It is an easy enough process, but tiny errors cause the crane to move too far or nor far enough. You can do it, all it takes is patience.

#41 10 years ago

Is there a way to make a couple alignment marks and match them up when you reassemble?

#42 10 years ago

got my crane dialed in thanks to some of you above. whats important is to get the grinding noise equal on either end. to long one side makes it not work properly. so each side grinds for exactly same amount of time before heading back. when its dialed in correctly the grinding time will be very minimal either side.

#43 10 years ago
Quoted from tp:

got my crane dialed in thanks to some of you above. whats important is to get the grinding noise equal on either end. to long one side makes it not work properly. so each side grinds for exactly same amount of time before heading back. when its dialed in correctly the grinding time will be very minimal either side.

Ha yep agree...only in D.E. we can talk about the grinding noise as a marker for optimization.

#44 10 years ago

Here's a picture of the machine with the orange super bands on it. I think it looks good, but not sure about the play, the ball does take some odd bounces, which I assume means the composition reacts differently from the spin on the ball than rubber does. Not sure if I like it or not yet. I'm not good enough to be outraged about the play with them on the machine, but I can see how people at a much higher level might not like the change of play, even though they might be more accurate in the long run.

WP_20131026_12_37_54_Pro.jpgWP_20131026_12_37_54_Pro.jpg

#45 10 years ago

Here are a couple pictures of the addition of a dual spot on the lower left slingshot, purple LED's from pinballbulbs.com. The blue isn't as intense in person as it is in this picture, it adds a nice glow to the playfield, doesn't wash out the colors and let's you see the ball a whole lot better in the middle of the playfield.

Before
WP_20131026_23_02_08_Pro.jpgWP_20131026_23_02_08_Pro.jpg

After
WP_20131026_23_03_13_Pro.jpgWP_20131026_23_03_13_Pro.jpg

#46 10 years ago

Here's my LAH that I rebuilt over the past 2 months. Plenty of powder coating, LEDs, painted inside cabinet/backbox and a new translight!

Only one flipper issue and a bit of ticket wear to touch up and it will be perfect!

This is a really fun game with plenty of features.

image-670.jpgimage-670.jpg
image-527.jpgimage-527.jpg
image-326.jpgimage-326.jpg

#47 10 years ago

Deepest game of the 90s. I did a longer than normal review on this machine. I have the alt trans too, looks led'd even with inc bulbs.

I have turned many people on to this game that have been to my place, many actively looking for one now. There is just so much to do.

My only complaint is I wish you could turn the automatic third ball MB off. I would like to see that less than every game for sure, and have to only get it by earning it.

#48 10 years ago
Quoted from Chrisg:

Here's my LAH that I rebuilt over the past 2 months. Plenty of powder coating, LEDs, painted inside cabinet/backbox and a new translight!
Only one flipper issue and a bit of ticket wear to touch up and it will be perfect!
This is a really fun game with plenty of features.

image-527.jpg 2 MB

image-326.jpg 2 MB

image-670.jpg 2 MB

Looks great, I have the alt TL also, so much better then the original.

#49 10 years ago
Quoted from Atomicboy:

Deepest game of the 90s. I did a longer than normal review on this machine. I have the alt trans too, looks led'd even with inc bulbs.
I have turned many people on to this game that have been to my place, many actively looking for one now. There is just so much to do.
My only complaint is I wish you could turn the automatic third ball MB off. I would like to see that less than every game for sure, and have to only get it by earning it.

I agree about the MB, maybe someone could edit the ROM like Jurassic Park, they're changing that up with that one too.

#50 10 years ago

is this the adjustment screw to take the crane off?

IMAG0899.jpgIMAG0899.jpg
Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

5,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Lake Charles, LA
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound

$ 18.95
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 39.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Machine - For Sale
York, SC
$ 1.29
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

Playfield - Other
Arcade Upkeep

$ 32.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Boards
Slap Save Creations

$ 18.95
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 3,518 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 71.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/last-action-hero-club-come-on-in and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.