Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Cliffy Right Return Guide.JPG
Cliffy Right Return Guide Overhead.JPG
Cliffy Left Return Guide.JPG
Cliffy Left Return Guide Overhead.JPG
#1 10 years ago

I found that the original flipper return frames (metal guides feeding the ball to flippers from the inlanes) on Laser War are poorly sized causing bad ball bounce when transitioning from frame to flipper. Also, the original frames on my machine were badly mushroomed, causing ball hang-ups occasionally and also compounding the ball hop problem.

Wanting to remedy the bad ball hop, I did some research, took a gamble, and happily discovered that Cliffy's flipper return frames for High Speed are a *perfect* fit. With Cliffy's HS frames installed I now have perfectly smooth transitions from frame to flipper. http://www.passionforpinball.com/FlipFrames.htm ... The set was only ~$25--WELL worth it to eliminate the ball hop.

Here are some pictures of the install:

Cliffy Left Return Guide Overhead.JPGCliffy Left Return Guide Overhead.JPG Cliffy Left Return Guide.JPGCliffy Left Return Guide.JPG Cliffy Right Return Guide Overhead.JPGCliffy Right Return Guide Overhead.JPG Cliffy Right Return Guide.JPGCliffy Right Return Guide.JPG
#2 10 years ago

Awesome! I buy Cliffy Flipper Return Frames for all my games. Makes 'em play like new. Good that you found another game that can use them from another game.
-mof

#3 10 years ago

This is a great game and is completely under-rated. Cool improvement. I didn't have that much of an issue with mine, but I did a flipper rebuild before I even bothered with the original set up and also changed the stock coils to standard reds, assuming the slightly more powerful originals were responsible for a lot of the damage/cracking on the playfield. And you can do really awesome coordinated color LED lighting for GI that looks good, as well as using cool white instead of warm without it looking terrible.

#4 10 years ago

That's awesome info, thanks for that. I have the same issue with the right flipper return on my recently acquired Laser War and was wondering if that's just the way they are from factory or if mine had gotten messed up over the long years (I tried to loosen and re-tighten the screws to adjust the play as much as I could but it only helped a bit). Sounds like they were always a bit messed up.

I also noticed that while my flippers are very strong, they don't return quite 100% back down. Thus if I try a bounce pass what usually happens is it just sticks to the flipper when it gives a little bit, then drains. This is my first Data East machine of this vintage so I'm wondering if that's they way they are, or if the flipper return springs are just worn or something and in need of some rebuilding.

#5 10 years ago

My pleasure. There's not a lot of info out there on Laser War so I figured I'd try to fill in some of the gaps. I agree that Laser War is underrated--very fun game.

Laser War doesn't get a ton of inlane action as there aren't any ramps feeding the inlanes; however, there's enough to make upgrading the return frames well worth it in my opinion. Pins with "bad" inlane ball bounce are frustrating to play.

Bif: Sounds like you need a flipper rebuild...Whatever you figure out, you should add to the Laser War "club" thread that I started.

#6 10 years ago

My first pin. I'll have another some day.

1 week later
#7 10 years ago

Thanks for the test fitting and pics Andy! Nice job and nice looking game! For those who need them look on my site at passionforpinball.com for part numbers A-8108-R and B-8239-1. They are direct replacements for the DE part numbers 535-5407-00 and 535-5406-00 respectively. My replacements are enhanced as explained on my web page so they play better than OEM and certainly look a lot better than old mushroomed parts

2 months later
#8 10 years ago

I got mine running. It has a new rottendog mpu and power supply. When a game is over it sits in an idle mode for about 30 seconds then goes back into attract mode with lights flashing and displays doing their thing. During the idle period, can't add credits or start a game. Some lights on pkayfoeld are on and they are just solid lit. Displays stay frozen as well..remember, both boards are new..ideas?

#9 10 years ago

After that 30 seconds you can add credits and play as normal..

#10 9 years ago

Silver, you would probably get better tracking starting your own thread.

8 months later
#11 9 years ago
Quoted from joetechbob:

I found that the original flipper return frames (metal guides feeding the ball to flippers from the inlanes) on Laser War are poorly sized causing bad ball bounce when transitioning from frame to flipper.

A huge thank you to joetechbob for sharing this information! I just picked up a Laser War machine and was immediately disappointed with ball bouncing and hangups from frame to flipper. I wasn't quite sure what the solution was going to be until now.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/laser-war-flipper-return-frame-replacements-cliffys-frames-for-hs and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.