(Topic ID: 74147)

Kiss speaker upgrade

By PinballOrphanage

10 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 10 years ago

As I see it there is a (1) single cone 4" 5 watt 8ohm speaker in a rock and roll themed pinball machine. chuckle chuckle What can I do? or should I do to get this machine rockin a little heavier then this. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I do have a pair of 2 way 50 watt 4 ohm 6-1/2" speakers. If I hooked them up in series, would I have 8 ohms. Is it going to sound better, or is there not enough power from the amp to drive this set. I can't set these up right now as the machine is completely torn apart for custom restoration, but would like to get these fitted if someone could tell me that;
#1 these new speakers will work
#2 it will be a good upgrade and wont hurt the existing amp

Thank you for your time

2 months later
#2 10 years ago

wow, no replies at all? yes to two 4-ohm speakers in series making 8-ohms which should be safe for the amp section.. but if you want it more rockin, pay more attention to the speakers sensitivity ratings than wattage capacity.
a speaker rated 91db 1w 1m is going to be lots louder than one rated 86db 1w 1m, near twice as loud to the ears.

being its only one 4" 5 watt 8-ohm speaker, you've got a one channel mono amp, is ok and oh well to me both..
my (toy!) zizzle PotC, wired in a very old 8" 8ohm one watt speaker in series to the stock 2-1/4" half watt one, mounted the 8 into the bottom cover perfed with a 3/8 drill bit, gives much fuller sound, it even throws good bass. the puny audio section is seeing a 16 ohm load instead of 8 is safe, the difference in sound level-quality, very surprising.
I'd think same strategy for KISS, find a cheap high sensitivity 10-12" speaker to mount in the cab's floor if theres room to put it there. the 10-12" is going to be weaker in the higher freq's, especially over padded carpet, where you probably wont even need to think about using a passive crossover or low pass filtering for decent enough sound.

some (very) basic math:
6" speaker - radius 3", squared is 9, times pi is 28.27 square inches, times two speakers about 56.5 worth.
same math to a single 8" gives 50.25, to a 10" gives 78.5, and to a 12" gives 113 sq in, over twice what the pair of 6's can offer up. if a speaker is really efficient the 10 or 12 is gonna sound pretty darn fat, even if only seeing just a couple of watts of power. the numbers are rounded and not accounting for speaker cone surround width etc.. but it sure helps convey the simple concept, "bigger is better". if theres room for it I'd go with putting a 12 in its floor, OR, if the 10" speaker has a good chunk better db/w/m specs, its likely gonna be lots more bang for the buck too.

puny 4 being 12.5 sq in at best, this'd be going HUGE but hey.. zizzle went from 4 sq in to 54 worth, is much nicer and about same x10 factor to raw speaker surface area for sound, not adding anything at all in there for amplifier.
you can go with the pair of 6's of course, personally I'd go with this BIG FAT (small power) MONO, obviously lol.

it's a possible to get a bit more thump from the same arrangement by popping a tuned port through its floor too.
diameter and length of port tube can be calc'd from the speaker specs and the cabinets cubic footage for a sweet-spot range in lower freq's, if you want to take it that far and that technical, yeah it'll sound "even fatter than that!".
at front of cab is a bit closer to ear floor bounce, but towards rear maybe better exploiting floor+wall+cab bottom.
pinball machine cabs are pretty good cubic footage for generating some healthy bass from small power, so why not?
(unless of course there aint room at all for none of it, ouch.)

anyhow, thats the direction I'd go without using a second amp to get it more rockin. maybe look MCM woofer at Amazon or Goldwood at PartsExpress arent expensive for decent efficient. again, nevermind about how many watts a speaker can handle, its never going to see anywhere near that anyway, so go for the highest db/1w/1m efficiency.

the stock 4" in series -technically- is going to see half the power when its wired up in series, if its still in good shape its probably going to sound just fine and not any different of itself, whats coming out from underneath backing it up is pretty likely gonna sound balanced enough ballsy, if not, maybe try a 2-way crossover, or swap in a different 4 thats less efficient if its "too in your face" or vice-versa needing one more efficient to keep up, is easy enough to do later.

2 weeks later
#3 10 years ago

Wow, thanks for the input. It was a little to late. I put in a pair of 6-1/2" 2 ways in series and am happy with the results. Next time i'll pm you direct and will learn some more, Thanks for you time.

#4 10 years ago

I'm stripping a Sonance in wall speaker that I have as an extra to put in my KISS pinball. I just put the wiring back in after getting it painted so will fire it up this weekend hopefully and give my review here.

#5 10 years ago

I put in the midrange from my Sonance speaker... not much difference but the KISS pinball doesn't have much for sound especially no real bass with the electronic jingle sounds. Not sure that there is much more that can be done for sound on this machine.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 17.50
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 18.98
Eproms
Pinballrom

Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

6,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Clermont, FL
Machine - For Sale
Lake Elsinore, CA
$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 29.00
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 199.95
$ 179.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Pimp

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 10.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Creekside Hideaway, LLC

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/kiss-speaker-upgrade and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.