(Topic ID: 88141)

KISS playfield restoration

By DrMark12PA

10 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 10 years ago

I'm going to begin doing a KISS playfield restoration with a well known restoration painter.
This will require removal of all pieces from the top and bottom of the playfield. I'm wondering if anyone has recommendations/tips/suggestions on performing this to make it go smoothly.

1) I've read that the ground braid wire that is stapled down will require a pneumatic stapler most likely to tack it back down. If so, what stapler (I've purchased cheaper but halfway decent tools from Harbor Freight including my rock tumbler I've been using for pinball parts) have people here used? Would it be recommended to just purchase new braided ground wire? If so, what length for this game?

2) how do you remove the wire guide rails on the top of the playfield?

3) I'm planning on rock tumbling every part that fits into the tumbler since they will off the machine anyway. Any parts from the playfield other than plastics people would not tumble?

#2 10 years ago

I purchased a 7/16" crown air stapler from Harbor Freight and it worked very well. Doesn't have the extra long reach but since I was working from a bare playfield it worked perfectly. To remove the wire guides, put something down to protect the playfield then gently pry up each end until they come out. I don't like to tumble screws because the Phillips gets clogged up with grit. I prefer to simply buff them one at a time. As far as ground braid, I would certainly purchase new. Personally I use 1/8" flat braid but others use the thinner stuff similar to what is already on the game.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 85.00
$ 179.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Pimp

Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Lake Elsinore, CA
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 10.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 17.50
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

6,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Clermont, FL
$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Creekside Hideaway, LLC

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 10.00
$ 18.98
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 29.00
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/kiss-playfield-restoration and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.