Kickback not kickin'

Started 6 months ago by LynxOne in forum TechTech: Generic.

Forum » Tech » Tech: Generic » Topic

Kickback not kickin'

Topic summary

• Started 6 months ago by LynxOne
  • 2 Pinsiders participating in this thread.
  • Latest reply from LynxOne

Tilts/ ignores / abuse

Sharing and favs

Games linked to topic

Help us build a pinball game knowledge base by linking topics to the games discussed in them!

6 months ago
    #

I have an old Williams Laser Ball and the right kickback is not working. This being my first and only pinball machine, I'm fairly new at this. After examining the corresponding coil, I found it had melted somewhat and the coil sleeve was frozen. I replaced the coil and sleeve and I replaced the corresponding transistor (T8 I believe) that was clearly crispy.

Unfortunately, it still does not fire. It's not locked on and I don't see any blown fuses or other obvious damage to the board other than some cold solder joints which I touched up tonight. Still no kick though. What's my next step?

6 months ago
    #

Pre-driver transistor. If your TIP1XX transistor was toasty, then you should inspect the pre-driver transistor as well. Highly likely it was shorted out as well. You can check this by testing for DC V on the collector pin of the pre-driver while the machine is on. Zero volts would indicate a short.

6 months ago
    #

Thank you for the suggestion. I'll check it today and report back...

5 months, 3 weeks ago
    #

Ok sorry for delay but was busy at work for the last week. Finally have some time to devote to my poor pin. So, while waiting, I ordered a new pre-driver transistor from mouser and I'll swap that out tonight. Also got my new pop bumper parts in (yoke was broken on one so ill rebuild all 3) and I'm looking forward to that project too. I'll snap a few pics of the repair cause everyone loves pics.

I'll keep my fingers crossed that this fixes my kickback problem.

5 months, 3 weeks ago
    #

Here's a shot of the old burned up coil.

The non working kickback.

Here's the driver board being repaired.

And success!

Wanna join the discussion? Sign up for a Pinside account, or sign in if you already have one.

© 2001-2014 Pinside.com All rights reserved. Jump to topRSS feedsHelpContactCookiesDesigned by Keeple