(Topic ID: 18674)

Just about to place an order from Marcos.. anything else recommended?

By captainadam_21

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 36 posts
  • 19 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by LTG
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Rollergames_036.JPG
Rollergames_037.JPG
#1 11 years ago

I just picked up my first machine... Rollergames.

I don't own any products yet so I read through previous threads to see what to pick up. This is just to see if I missed anything.

My cart contains:

1. Balls.
2. Novus cleaning kit (Novus 1-3 and a cleaning rag)
3. 3 new flippers (mine has lightning on it for some reason)
4. 3 rubbers

I plan on getting some Carnubus wax from a local automotive store. And lights form Cointaker at a later date. Anything else recommended so I can not pay extra shipping if I have to order again? Any help is appreciated and will be paid in free games of Rollergames if you stop by.

#2 11 years ago

I see youre buying 3 rubbers, and i'm guessing theyre for the new flippers. Perhaps just buy a new rubber set for the whole machine? Are they worn or cruddy looking?

#3 11 years ago

I would double check pinballlife.com. Their prices are usually better then Macro...

#4 11 years ago
Quoted from Blackbeard:

I see youre buying 3 rubbers, and i'm guessing theyre for the new flippers. Perhaps just buy a new rubber set for the whole machine? Are they worn or cruddy looking

I am changing the color scheme of the flippers.. but I will look into a rubber set.

Quoted from asnatlas:

I would double check pinballlife.com. Their prices are usually better then Macro

I will do that.. thanks.

#5 11 years ago

AS said above run through pinballlife also, check prices.

If the rubbers are dirty everywhere, just get a whole new set...whcih I believe PBlife does NOT do(?)

Get a bunch of coil sleeves...you'll need them at some point for sure.

EDIT: Also, get used to the idea of ordering from 3 different places and seeing who wins the race

#6 11 years ago

125-Piece White Rubber Ring Set
http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=486&parent=122

They also have a black set...

#7 11 years ago

Yeah pinball life unfortunently doesn't do made sets. That 125 kit is a nice spread though. Don't know if it will save you money from shipping one site to the other.

#8 11 years ago

I'd get an extra flipper rubber so you have a spare.

Skip the Novus cleaning kit and just get #2, or see if anyone near you sells it.

http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/535-9818-00

http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/04-10319-1

I'd get one of each of these and send them to me.

I'd definitely get a box of #555, #44 bulbs, and check your flashers ( maybe #89 ) and get them too.

No sense wanting cheap items and have to order them soon anyway.

LTG

#9 11 years ago

When you say "new flippers", are you referring to a full flipper rebuild kit? Just flipper bats?

If the wrong flippers are installed in your game, you'll probably need parts in addition to those in a rebuild kit.

Get a few boxes of bulbs. Not sure if rollergames uses 555s or 44/47s, but you should get some even if you plan to put in LEDs later.

+1 on pinball life. It's my go-to place to shop.

#10 11 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Skip the Novus cleaning kit and just get #2, or see if anyone near you sells it.

+1

#11 11 years ago
Quoted from tonymiddendorf:

When you say "new flippers", are you referring to a full flipper rebuild kit? Just flipper bats?

The bottom 2 flippers are currently lightning flippers. The upper right flipper is a normal one. I am tired of getting my butt kicked by these tiny flippers so I figured I'd get new ones. Are you telling me I cannot just take the bat out and put new non-lightning ones in? I bought this from a vendor so I would he would have just stuck lightning ones in to speed up gameplay and not rebuilt it.

#12 11 years ago
Quoted from captainadam_21:

The bottom 2 flippers are currently lightning flippers. The upper right flipper is a normal one. I am tired of getting my butt kicked by these tiny flippers so I figured I'd get new ones. Are you telling me I cannot just take the bat out and put new non-lightning ones in? I bought this from a vendor so I would he would have just stuck lightning ones in to speed up gameplay and not rebuilt it.

Ahh- I see. You should probably be fine then. I was thinking you had an entirely different flipper assembly. My bad

#13 11 years ago

Sometimes you can and sometimes you can't. There's usually more that will need to be replaced with the flipper mechanisms. I generally replace everything but the metal plates/housings unless someone has just done them before I get the machine. I check everything when I get it though, and I keep extras of just about everything I might need. Don't worry. Everyone has to start somewhere and sometimes you just have to learn as you go.

#14 11 years ago

If you are going to buy LEDs soon then I wouldn't waste my money on extra incandescent bulbs as you will soon have dozens of extras.
I would at least get Novus 1 and 2.
I would suggest a couple of extra star posts of the same color as your game uses. They tend to crack.
Did your vendor just shop it with new rubber? If so, no sense buying a new set now. Wait and buy them with a later order when you are more likely to get them. If they are dirty or cracking, then I would say you should buy a set now.
A remote battery holder. Both Marco and PBlife sell a nice one with wooden dowels which snap in place. When were the batteries last replaced? Alkalines should be done annually.

#15 11 years ago

Change the batteries and check the fuses. Then change out the fuses that are incorrect. Seems like every pin always has at least one. I would suggest buying replacement fuses and have them on hand. Sooner or later your going to need them. Edit: didnt see SC's advice about remote battery holder. Congrats on your first pin!!

#16 11 years ago

My last two pins, pinbot and highspeed, both had scads of incorrect fuses installed. Go thru each one carefully.

#17 11 years ago

do they sell switch adjustment tools? They are a must have for making switch adjustments, its a little bent bar with a small notch in each end and usually is less than ten bucks, very worth it, and makes adjusting switches ten time easier.

#18 11 years ago

Plus the switch adjustment tool is one of the few things you CAN'T go run down to the local hardware store to get.

#22 11 years ago

Fuse puller.

#23 11 years ago

Very simple and very needed. Switch adjustment tool also

#24 11 years ago

What kind of condition is this pin in? Has it been fully shopped or just taken fresh off route? Straight out of storage? That makes a big difference. Lift the PF and run your finger along a few of the plungers. Are the covered with black dust or can you eat off them. If there covered in black dust you need lots of things. Thankfully a dollar here and 40¢ there but it adds up.

#25 11 years ago

And remember, you don't *have* to use *any* LEDs. Don't go with the bandwagon unless that is what *you* want!

#26 11 years ago
Quoted from the_pin_family:

Has it been fully shopped or just taken fresh off route? Straight out of storage? That makes a big difference. Lift the PF and run your finger along a few of the plungers. Are the covered with black dust or can you eat off them.

I couldn't eat off of it but is wasn't super dusty. I'd say a 2-3 out of 10 on the black dirt scale. But I didn't check it til after probably a few hunderd plays. It was right off route and they cleaned it up for me on Monday and part of Tuesday.. like change bulbs, drop targets, any rubbers that needed replacing. Claimed to have gone through the wiring and fuses and changed the batteries. There are a few bulbs missing and the freaking bottom display takes a while to function properly so that may need to be replaced eventually.

Quoted from johnwartjr:

And remember, you don't *have* to use *any* LEDs. Don't go with the bandwagon unless that is what *you* want

I am probably only gonna LED the backglass and add some different color lights behind the roller team names in the middle of the play field. Definitely not gonna go all out. I became an accountant for a reason.. because my mechanical skills are lacking..ha.

#27 11 years ago

Fuses - You won't be able to find extras locally. Look through your manual and find out which ones you need.

Bulbs - A buck a box at pinballlife... not sure what they're like at Marco.

LEDs - Maybe buy a few to place in your machine to see if you even like them.

Leg Leveler - Check yours, see how they look... these are $1 each online but at the hardware store they're like $5 each.

Pop bumper parts - check to see if your pop bumper wafers are chipped up.

Coil Sleeves - Check your manual to see what size coil sleeves you need. They're easy to replace and if you're working on the flippers anyway... just replace 'em.

Other cheap flipper parts - bushing, coil stop?

Star Posts, other posts that look worn on your machine

#28 11 years ago
Quoted from asnatlas:

I would double check pinballlife.com. Their prices are usually better then Macro

+1 They are quite a bit cheaper on stuff.. .thanks!

#29 11 years ago

pl is cheaper and postal shipping is cheaper & faster than ups or fedex. Always arrives a day earlier. Not sure about the rest of the US, but that's been my experience.

#30 11 years ago

Here are a couple of pics of RG with LED's in the backbox and inserts these are the bulbs from Pinball Life. They are the least expensive ones he sells and I think they look great.

Rollergames_037.JPGRollergames_037.JPG Rollergames_036.JPGRollergames_036.JPG

#31 11 years ago
Quoted from captainadam_21:

+1 They are quite a bit cheaper on stuff.. .thanks!

#32 11 years ago
Quoted from practicalsteve:

Plus the switch adjustment tool is one of the few things you CAN'T go run down to the local hardware store to get.

Is there any kind of a tutorial regarding this tool? I have one, ordered it out of high recommendations, but I haven't used it yet - and quite honestly - I don't know if I would know what I was doing if I had to use it.

#33 11 years ago
Quoted from NPO:

Is there any kind of a tutorial regarding this tool? I have one, ordered it out of high recommendations, but I haven't used it yet - and quite honestly - I don't know if I would know what I was doing if I had to use it.

Get a set of points, sit at a bench or table, and practice. ( when on a machine have the power off ).

Learn what happens when you bend a little, a lot, or back. Nothing to it.

I use a Klein small flat nosed pliers, or my fingers.

LTG

#34 11 years ago

I have an adjustment tool, which is helpful but not necessary. Like LTG, I end up using flat-nosed pliers or my fingers. If using fingers, just make sure you know what you're touching.

#35 11 years ago

I love the little switch adjustment tool. It's really easy to use once you get the hang of it.

Also, many people do not realize that Marco will match prices. All you have to do is give them a call and let them know where you saw the item listed for less.

#36 11 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

I love the little switch adjustment tool. It's really easy to use once you get the hang of it.

It is great for popping fuses out.

LTG

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 27.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Springfield, IL
$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Lafayette, LA
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

3,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Nashua, NH
$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Boards
PinSound

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/just-about-to-place-an-order-from-marcos-anything-else-recommended and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.