Judge Dredd planet gearbox revealed

Started 2 years ago by Dawson in forum TechTech: Generic.

Forum » Tech » Tech: Generic » Topic

Judge Dredd planet gearbox revealed

Topic summary

• Started 2 years ago by Dawson
  • 19 Pinsiders participating in this thread.
  • Latest reply from o-din

Tilts/ ignores / abuse

Sharing and favs

Games linked to topic

Help us build a pinball game knowledge base by linking topics to the games discussed in them!

2 years ago
    #

well my brand new to me JD ate shit after about 10 games the planet stopped spinning , but the motor works fine ..

So I took it out and after realizing how much money a repaired unit was, I decided to take the thing apart and fix it myself

here is what I found , looks to me like one of the gears (the one on the bottom near the shaft lost its footing and is spinning on the shaft , so How will I “stick it to that shaft’? hammer and a pin I guess or a braze?

http://s122.photobucket.com/albums/o248/onesurf/?action=view&current=DSCF0231.mp4

Post edited by Dawson : typo

2 years ago
    #

How is it fastened to the shaft to begin with? Drill a hole and pin could work....did you take the gears out yet?

dung

Pinball addict
    1,382,100 2
    2 years ago
    #

Take it to a welder and get it brazed. I had to do the same with my dr who.

Atomicboy

Pinball guru
    5,463,250 2
    2 years ago
    #

Steve Young refurbs these, and sends you back that is already done if you want to go that route.

2 years ago
    #

Steve will also send you the parts you need.

2 years ago
    #

please post the finished job

2 years ago
    #

When I got my JD years ago, the planet and ring would spin in the same direction because the grease between the main shaft and planetary gear was seized together. Taking it apart for cleaning and fresh grease worked wonders

2 years ago
    #

I talked to Steve at the Pinball Resource yesterday , he told me it could be anything and I should send it in for $200 plus core...!

So today I decided to split the case... It was easy , and with the tools in my gals house this is what I did , I wrenched it and it seems solid ..

Me =super stoked not to have spend 200 buck in hard earned cash..

How is it fastened to the shaft to begin with? Drill a hole and pin could work....did you take the gears out yet?

I believe its a pressed fit that don’t hold for shit.

2 years ago
    #

So you soldered it using the stove heating element?

Excellent MacGyver move!!

Great Fix.

2 years ago
    #

200 Bucks is a rip off. All JD motors that break are a simple fix.

Jim

2 years ago
    #

+1 Excellent McGuyver move...

Appreciate the post

2 years ago
    #

I feel the problem with the gearbox issue was the two welds used to hold the main drive gear to the inner shaft ....

those welds seem to bind on the secondary gear I had to file mine down a little bit to make things less pron to wedge up

TJ
    thanks , I get by with a lot of those kind of moves , it comes from being broke

2 years ago
    #

Good job!

Any restoration job that comes through my shop gets any gearboxes that will come apart taken apart, the innards 'hot tanked' in my ultrasonic cleaner, and reassembled with teflon gel lube. Amazing how the lube Multiproducts used in these turns to varnish over time.

What held the case together? Screws? Can't see from your pic, and I've never done a JD.

2 years ago
    #

well shit .... I have the Ol JD back together and the motor seems to be running just fine ... shes a little loud but you cant hear it with the glass on ...

O great , now what .. JD is phantom tilting SHIT ... it seems to happen when the ball strikes the drop targets .. it happens about every other game now , WTF is with this game , I ordered the ball trough through pinbits ... and those people are awesome , they gave me the ball trough for free .. they said it would be cheaper to give me the the part rather than having to get charge the CC fee ..

could that be the problem? the magnetic balls ? ....

I did notice the wire colors that go into the target bank are the same ones that go to the tilt mech>..

anyone want to trade for a Fish Tales

TJ

2 years ago
    #

well the gear that I Mcguyvered took a crap , so I removed the SOB again , took it down to a local blacksmith and he re-braised the thing with a more solid braise , It looked really good ... I cleaned all the gearing and re-lubed and assembled the unit ...

she ran nice all quiet and smooth and I loaded some balls in the planet to get the crane in working order , which it was working great , for a second ... and snap , the gear is again not connected to the shaft .... SOB..

350r claims this is an easy fix ? not in my shop I guess , the guy that braised it is a world class blacksmith too .... who knows? what I do know I do not want to spend 200 bucks on a game that still has a phantom tile .... O pinball gods give me a handle on this !@Q@#&$^).. Iguess I will call
    Steve at the pinball resource to see if I can get that gear in prime shape as my wire are getting short..

I re seated the 2nd gear and took out the slight wobble , which was awesome
    and there is the new weld job

TJ

2 years ago
    #

When will these motors if ever get a repro?

Atomicboy

Pinball guru
    5,463,250 2
    2 years ago
    #

JD is the biggest headache of a machine I have ever come across, and I've come across three in my time.

2 years ago
    #

We have restored 5 JD's in the last year and only one has had a bad motor, yes very lucky.

2 years ago
    #

After reading the first part of this thread, I was feeling ripped off having sent my gearmotor to PBR. Now seeing the easy fix isn't so easy, I can put it behind me. Not sure why but I was fearful to grind open the rivets on the gearbox. Perhaps because there are no new units and PBR only exchanges for repairable units. Good thing JD is a decent machine, as I have quite a bit more in mine than many people would be willing to pay for that title.

Hopefully Steve will sell you that faulty gear/shaft though there's a lot less gravy for doing that. I would have tried to do that if I had seen this thread last year.

2 years ago
    #

Steve will not sell that gear or any other parts to the gearbox

the blacksmith was out of town yesterday so here is what I came up with I drilled holes for some spring pins and drove them home with a punch

working good , its runs fine just not super smooth

tj

1 year, 9 months ago
    #
    Dawson said:

Steve will not sell that gear or any other parts to the gearbox

That sucks.

He should be selling a "rebuild" kit.

I've got to tear into TWO gearboxes. Fingers crossed, they don't need gear replacements.....

1 year, 9 months ago
    #

Well...crap.

Both my gearboxes need work.

One of them was torn apart previously, and they tried to weld the part with two gears (as pictured above). The problem is, they ground off the end that sits in the gearbox casing so it has flat spots. It causes the planet to get stuck and slip.

Has anybody tried contacting the gearbox manufacturer directly?

http://www.multiproducts.com/

Since this is such a common issue for the Judge Dredd machines (and such an easy job to replace), it would be nice if we could get replacement gears from the factory. If Steve won't sell them directly, that is....

1 year, 9 months ago
    #

There is a company called Northwest Short Line that caters to the Model Railroad industry making gears for locomotives of all scales. They make a lot more then that actually but I know for a fact they will cut gears but I am not sure they have ever been approached before to cut gears for a different hobby. They probably have. If you need something replaced like this, might not hurt to at least get in contact with them and see what they say. Even better if you get a bunch of guys that need this part together to make it worth the while.

What this gear really needs is to be press pinned to a shaft similiar to whats done above, but to the shaft instead. Soldering or brazing it appearently doesnt hold the gear tight on the shaft enough to hold for long periods of time.

Just a thought.

1 year, 9 months ago
    #

I sent an inquiry to multiproducts.

It would help out many JD owners if they made the internal gear set (even if it was just the main one that fails 9 times out of 10) available as a service replacement part.

1 year, 9 months ago
    #

I heard back from multiproducts.

The rep said they don't have the components on hand for the old designs, but they do have a source to rebuild/repair them.

He gave me Steve Young's contact info. I guess Steve is the guy to talk to for all JD gearmotor concerns.

1 year, 8 months ago
    #

Hey, is there a consensus on what the best/cheapest fix for this problem is? My planet seems to be hesitating/sticking every so often, and I think this is what the problem is. I made a separate post about it at some point but I'm not very technically savvy... I'd like to fix this issue even though it's working fine for now.

Thanks!

1 year, 5 months ago
    #

How is the repair holding up ? anybody have a better solution? I now have 2 non-working gearboxes and want to find a good permanent fix.

1 year, 5 months ago
    #

that repair , the one where I drilled the holes and pushed in spring pins is working great... all the welds that were attempted did not work

the gearbox is running and it that smoothed out , seems perfect , knocking on wood.

TJ

1 year, 5 months ago
    #

Wonderful to hear, I will be drilling mine out for pins soon

1 year, 5 months ago
    #

be precise . use a new drill bit and a drill press ... take your time ... also make sure the drill bit and spring pins match , dont force the spring pins or you will bend the soft brass gears ..

call me a ass if you feel this is the wrong way to do this , ... im not trying to give anyfalse info here,.

tj

1 year, 3 months ago
    #

Mine just did the same thing... Don't suppose anyone can give me a quick rundown on how to take the gearbox out of the machine eh?

1 year, 3 months ago
    #

I've taken mine appart too. Everything looks repairable. The one part on this machine that would render this game worthless if it broke is the plastic interrupter cam thing in the crane mechanism.
    I purchased a couple backup units from pinbits. Last I checked they still had them for $15. But who knows for how long.

Wanna join the discussion? Sign up for a Pinside account, or sign in if you already have one.

© 2001-2014 Pinside.com All rights reserved. Jump to topRSS feedsHelpContactCookiesDesigned by Keeple