Topic Stats

• 6 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by KenH
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 10 years ago

The left flipper on my JP is behaving oddly. Sometimes, with the same ball in play, the strength is good and other times it is pretty weak and can barely get the ball up the playfield. I don't think the coil is binding or anything and the EOS switch contacts were cleaned and appear to be ok as well. I replaced the coil stop but it didn't help. The plunger doesn't appear to be dragging either. The diode is present on the coil but it looks like it is not the original solder job. Could this be the issue or could this be a flipper board issue? Any help is greatly appreciated.

#2 10 years ago

Reflow the solder on the solenoid. See if that helps. Sounds like you are already checking a lot of the right stuff.
It could be possible your EOS is engaging too soon also. This would weaken the end of your "Swing" as well.
Check all things for any play or slop also. If nothing is binding this is unlikely but worth a look.
How does the bushing look?

#3 10 years ago

Hi Shoot_Again - I'll reflow the solder tomorrow and see if it works. Will report back. Thanks for the advice.

#4 10 years ago

Well, I reflowed the solder and the resoldered the coil diode and it seems a little better but still has periodic weakness. Also looked at the EOS switch and it seems to engage properly from what I can tell. To clarify the symptoms somewhat, the flipper fires right away but sometimes during the flip it gets weak and only lightly pushes the ball. Then on the next flip it seems fine. Thinking of replacing the diode and then the whole coil if the new diode doesnt work. Any other thoughts? Thanks for your help.

#5 10 years ago
Quoted from gac:

Well, I reflowed the solder and the resoldered the coil diode and it seems a little better but still has periodic weakness. Also looked at the EOS switch and it seems to engage properly from what I can tell. To clarify the symptoms somewhat, the flipper fires right away but sometimes during the flip it gets weak and only lightly pushes the ball. Then on the next flip it seems fine. Thinking of replacing the diode and then the whole coil if the new diode doesnt work. Any other thoughts? Thanks for your help.

It may be worth buying a new flipper plunger and link, if you're not doing an entire flipper rebuild. http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=1049

I had one that was binding a bit and replacing it fixed the issue.

#6 10 years ago

There was a service bulletin (#54) on those flipper boards. I can't find it on Stern's site, since they updated it. Send Stern an email and ask for a copy of Service Bulletin #54.

EDIT:I forgot about the wayback machine. Try this:

https://web.archive.org/web/20140209110724/http://www.sternpinball.com/downloads/sb54.pdf

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 185.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 9,499.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 10.00
Playfield - Other
Loop Combo Pinball

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Los Angeles, CA
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 65.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

4,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Ronkonkoma, NY
Machine - For Sale
London, ON
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 1.00
Lighting - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Rocket City Pinball

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
FlipMods

$ 1.25
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jp-flipper-issue-1 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.