Jersey Jack Pinball, Partnership With JDA

Started 3 months ago by JoeJet in forum Game manufacturersJersey Jack Pinball.

Jersey Jack Pinball, Partnership With JDA

Topic summary

• Started 3 months ago by JoeJet
  • 136 Pinsiders participating in this thread.
  • Latest reply from zippydapinhead

Tilts/ ignores / abuse

Sharing and favs

Games linked to topic

Help us build a pinball game knowledge base by linking topics to the games discussed in them!

3 months, 1 week ago
    #

Just got this.

--------------------
    Jersey Jack Pinball, Inc. Enters Into An Equity Partnership With The Investment Banking Arm Of JDA

Lakewood, New Jersey - January 15, 2014 - Jersey Jack Pinball, Inc., the industry leading designer and manufacturer of premium, no-compromise pinball machines announces that they have entered into an equity partnership with the investment arm of JDA.

The founding group of JDA has a proven track record of success and generated over $40 million dollars for their shareholders in their last transaction.

This partnership will now enable Jersey Jack Pinball, Inc. to have the resources to fund multiple game platforms, expand into related technologies and markets, and to provide a catalyst for growth. It further provides Jersey Jack Pinball, Inc. with deeper management and financial resources.

"We are very excited to combine the strengths of these two dynamic organizations. The expanded talent, experience and financial strength that this brings will enhance the future products we are able to build and add to the enjoyment of our player base." said Jack Guarnieri, Jersey Jack Pinball, Inc. Founder.

The principals at JDA are true pinball enthusiasts as well and personally own over 40 pinball machines including Jersey Jack Pinball, Inc. world renowned The Wizard of Oz Pinball Machine.

About Jersey Jack Pinball, Inc.
    Jersey Jack Pinball, Inc. was founded in 2011 with a passion to build premium, no-compromise pinball machines. Games built with passion and games that are fun to play which will become treasured for years to come. The first game that Jersey Jack Pinball, Inc. is building is The Wizard of Oz Pinball Machine. The game is now in full production with more than 700 games shipped as of December 2013. More games are popping up in commercial locations and in home game rooms all around the world. The company is in development of The Hobbit Pinball machine which will ship late in 2014.

About JDA
    JDA is a private holding company developed for the purpose of transitional holdings of interest, incubation and performance of advisory services associated to the business interests of its shareholders. The shareholders of JDA have companies in the technology space including servicing the blind and developing critical mass computer applications, holdings of over $10 million in real estate, interests in gold and silver mining, a world class training facility for gymnastics and all star cheer, and consulting services that tailor to the telecom, data and technology sectors.

DaveH

Pinball addict
    1,632,900 1
    3 months, 1 week ago
    #

Ha!

3 months, 1 week ago
    #

Seems logical. JJP's current method of pre-ordering games years in advance wasn't sustainable.

3 months, 1 week ago
    #

I just got that too. I think that will silence everyone. I tell you what, with out any insider information available to me, I would have thought that was needed.

That alleviates the need to blow off the old money for the new money

3 months, 1 week ago
    #

Wow what a killer hobbit update

3 months, 1 week ago
    #

This is a positive. Some outside cash to carry the company forward. If they needed pre-orderds from JJP3 to survive it might have gotten really scary.

3 months, 1 week ago
    #

I agree this is positive.

Lets get ready to rumble

3 months, 1 week ago
    #

What's odd about it is, who is "JDA?" Those letters have to stand for something. Why is their investment partner, essentially anonymous?

If you Google "JDA" you get everything from a software company, to a beef company and a boarding school.

Anyway, more capital is great for the industry!

3 months, 1 week ago
    #
    musketd said:

Wow what a killer hobbit update

It is! It means there is no chance I won't get what I have been paying for!

3 months, 1 week ago
    #

This will allow JJP to grow exponentially, cut cost, lead and production times and hopefully rely less on the consumer funded model. Hopefully this will allow them to lower prices as well. This was the logical next step for them.

Now we will see the next iteration of Williams Pinball. Great stuff to come.

3 months, 1 week ago
    #

Sounds like great news for JJP and I for one feel better about my Hobbit preorder after this announcment.

If JJP wasn't successful with WOZ then this deal never would of happened. Congrats JJP and well done! Looking forward to many more JJP pins!

3 months, 1 week ago
    #

Not surprising at all..they probably needed cash

3 months, 1 week ago
    #

Someone to finally help them out. Good news!

3 months, 1 week ago
    #

No matter what your opinion is on JJP, Stern ,PPS, this is great news for all of us "Pinheads" .Sustainability of a pinball manufacturer. I hope this news helps to ease the worries of anyone with a vested interest at JJP.

Think I'll go play some pinball.

3 months, 1 week ago
    #

This is awesome. He proved the concept now they have capital so they can grow. Excellent for pinball and congrats to jjp.

jadziedzic

Senior pinhead
    354,600 1
    3 months, 1 week ago
    #

This is certainly good news for JJP! Congratulations to Jack on securing the future of his company!

Now let's all join in a chorus of "Ding dong, the pre-order is dead"

3 months, 1 week ago
    #

Congratulations to JJP!!

Hopefully there won't be any bean counters frowning at the level of excess put into each JJP pin.

3 months, 1 week ago
    #

Can only be good news. I'm sure some will twist this but hopefully this will help to get the remaining WOZs out the door.

Would like an update on the light board issues with Woz now please. This one in one out malarkey is a pain in the ass

pinstor12

Pinball addict
    1,557,850 2
    3 months, 1 week ago
    #

Good news! Patiently waiting on theme #3.

3 months, 1 week ago
    #

You guys understand what just happened right? JJP was in a tough spot and hit the market looking for Capital. It's a really good thing, they now have time. VC can be a bad thing also. I'd bet they've not got to meet bench marks or.... Pre-Order model is now dead I agree. Way to much risk involved, some of you guys may have ducked a bullet for now. No way will I ever pre-order a game again. Other than Stern.

3 months, 1 week ago
    #
    jadziedzic said:

This is certainly good news for JJP! Congratulations to Jack on securing the future of his company!
    Now let's all join in a chorus of "Ding dong, the pre-order is dead"

I hope so. I can see putting down a refundable $250, $500, or $1000 (at most) to secure an LE, but that's where I draw the line. I think anything more is too much risk, too much stress, and bad for pinball.

kcpinchip

Senior pinhead
    577,000 1
    3 months, 1 week ago
    #

Congrats to JJP!

3 months, 1 week ago
    #

LOVE this: "Jersey Jack Pinball, Inc., the industry leading designer and manufacturer of premium, no-compromise pinball machines..."

3 months, 1 week ago
    #

These private holding companies aren't charities. If they're investing in JJP it's because they went through his books, examined the business model and upcoming titles, ran all the numbers etc and decided it was a winning bet.

So it's a win for JJP and their fans of course, but it's also a sign that money people think pinball is financially a good bet. Hopefully it wasn't based on $10k NIB games, but otherwise it's good news for everyone, even if you never buy a JJP game.

toyboy6

Pinball addict
    1,152,500 4
    3 months, 1 week ago
    #

Very positive news in terms of sustainability. Curious if it also means that they will go down the Stern model of only releasing game information closer to actual production timing. I don't see any good reason for them to release model information early if they don't need the revolving cash. Could mean we will go longer than a year without hearing what the next title after the Hobbit will be.

Scott

3 months, 1 week ago
    #

Congrats to JJP and to pinball in general. Keep growing!

3 months, 1 week ago
    #

wow i like this. i am glad there is capital to expand the line up. 2 games a year might be possible. i would also expect jjp to introduce machines to compete at the lower priced versions of sterns pro.

pretty awesome news!

3 months, 1 week ago
    #

Congrats to JJP for doing what it takes to keep building pinball machines. This is great news. Was worried there a bit.
    Hopefully they can get back to building the WOZ LEs as fast as they can.

pinstor12

Pinball addict
    1,557,850 2
    3 months, 1 week ago
    #
    Aurich said:

These private holding companies aren't charities. If they're investing in JJP it's because they went through his books, examined the business model and upcoming titles, ran all the numbers etc and decided it was a winning bet.

Obviously, they thought it was good bet, or they would not have invested.

A great win anytime you can get investors.

Don't know if "money people" in general think pinball is a great bet.

Great news for JJP! Congrats!

3 months, 1 week ago
    #
    toyboy6 said:

I don't see any good reason for them to release model information early if they don't need the revolving cash. Could mean we will go longer than a year without hearing what the next title after the Hobbit will be.

I would think that if they ramp up we'll be seeing titles come at least a little faster than that. I'm sure modeling that increase in was part of the financial plan. WOZ to Hobbit isn't really a good example of what's normal, since they had to ramp up both physical infrastructure to build but also the actual game infrastructure, both in terms of a common hardware platform and the software and APIs etc to run on it.

CraZ4Pin

Pinball addict
    1,593,950 1
    3 months, 1 week ago
    #

It's positive for the short term ... folks waiting on games to be delivered can feel confident they will in fact get their game(s). However, long term? This is BAD news. When ever you have investors (who have shareholders to answer to) you're going to see cost cutting to increase margin. I don't think we'll continue to see such a high level of build quality in the future. It's just business.

3 months, 1 week ago
    #

This is great news for Pinball... most likely bad news for my bank account down the road.

3 months, 1 week ago
    #
    Aurich said:

If they're investing in JJP it's because they went through his books, examined the business model and upcoming titles, ran all the numbers etc and decided it was a winning bet.

That's not how it works, they are bean counters. Go look up what Carl Icahn does, these guys are sharks and like their meat rare. He better produce!

3 months, 1 week ago
    #
    CraZ4Pin said:

It's positive for the short term ... folks waiting on games to be delivered can feel confident they will in fact get their game(s). However, long term? This is BAD news. When ever you have investors (who have shareholders to answer to) you're going to see cost cutting to increase margin. I don't think we'll continue to see such a high level of build quality in the future. It's just business.

It's better than bankruptcy.

CraZ4Pin

Pinball addict
    1,593,950 1
    3 months, 1 week ago
    #
    2RustyBalls said:

That's not how it works, they are bean counters. Go look up what Carl Icahn does, these guys are sharks and like their meat rare. He better produce!

This is exactly correct! Anyone who thinks this is good news for pinball is clueless about business.

CraZ4Pin

Pinball addict
    1,593,950 1
    3 months, 1 week ago
    #
    sammiesguys said:

Oh, I agree ... Jack may not have had another option. It's good for Jack. I'm just saying it's bad for pinball ... because outside investors want to see results ... produce a product cheap and sell it for a lot. WOZ is not cheap to produce. There will be cutbacks in the build of future games ... it's business.

3 months, 1 week ago
    #

I think we know why the JJP people have made an exit from pinside.

3 months, 1 week ago
    #

Positive news moving forward for pre-buyers and current owners. I know for one, it takes away from some of the financial stress of what was not public information...JJP's books. Congrats to JJP and the Team, this is HUGE!

3 months, 1 week ago
    #
    CraZ4Pin said:

This is exactly correct! Anyone who thinks this is good news for pinball is clueless about business.

Sounds similar to what happened with Stern - private investors…there aren't shareholders as though it's a publicly traded stock. Stern had some people with money come in, restructure and reinvent - and it brought them from the brink of death to a flourishing company. I'm guessing these new investors are rich pinheads who just wanna see Jack flourish.

3 months, 1 week ago
    #

Good news for the people who are waiting on pre-order games to be delivered!

3 months, 1 week ago
    #

The piece I picked up on is that the key players are into the hobby. I look at this as a big positive. They understand better about what they are getting into. Too often angel investors try to "help" those they have invested in without understanding anything about the product. With that many machines, it is also clear they are passionate about pinball. Lastly they had previously invested in the product (WoZ). They are a current customer.

But....there is always a but.....Jack has another master that is in the loop. To what degree and corresponding terms? Who knows. But it is a factor none the less. I often look at it as a positive in a venture like Jacks.

Good New JJP! Gratz!

3 months, 1 week ago
    #
    sammiesguys said:

100%! Look what it's done for Stern. VC can be very a good thing, sometimes you need someone to come in and explain what you're doing wrong and how to fix it. If you fail to hold up your end they are protected through asset liquidation. That's just a fact of business.

3 months, 1 week ago
    #
    CraZ4Pin said:

Yes! Remember how Stern got an investment partner and ... oh wait, that was actually great news for pinball then too.

3 months, 1 week ago
    #

Why does anybody think JJP was on the brink of bankruptcy? I see no sign of that.

More working capital is often brought in for companies that are already doing well, and simply need extra money to "go to the next level."

Right now, all the existing pinball companies have been doing is mostly pandering to the existing, retro market. With an infusion of capital they could begin expanding their market. Who says this capital was needed for them to fulfill their existing orders? The press release says they're looking to expand their business and move into new markets.

3 months, 1 week ago
    #

Fits into what I see often. Project one is funded via all sorts of interesting sources, you end up loosing a ton of money, but you now can seek outside financing for the future as you have proven you can produce something, you just need to explain how your going to control costs - as even these investors have to know charging more is not simply going to work.

3 months, 1 week ago
    #
    Aurich said:

Yes! Remember how Stern got an investment partner and ... oh wait, that was actually great news for pinball then too.

This is good news for pinball. It means JJP survives (at least for the near future). His current business model was not sustainable and this likely gives him the infusion of cash to continue operating. It also means that people who want to make money see a future for the company as well, which is another good sign.

Will there be some cost cutting? Probably. But it sure as shit beats having one less pinball maker out there.

3 months, 1 week ago
    #
    PinballHelp said:

What's odd about it is, who is "JDA?" Those letters have to stand for something. Why is their investment partner, essentially anonymous?
    If you Google "JDA" you get everything from a software company, to a beef company and a boarding school.
    Anyway, more capital is great for the industry!

Hmm, Linked in has this to say :

Patrick A.( Upgrade for full name )
    Investment Manager
    Phoenix, Arizona AreaInvestment Management
    Current
    Canal Partners, LLC, JDA Investments (US), Inc., Social Venture Partners Arizona
    Previous
    Armstrong IT Services, Vault Alliance/iggli, Sungard Availablity Systems
    Education
    University of Colorado at Boulder

That's all I have
    - Julian

3 months, 1 week ago
    #
    2RustyBalls said:

I think we know why the JJP people have made an exit from pinside.

IPO quiet period?

CraZ4Pin

Pinball addict
    1,593,950 1
    3 months, 1 week ago
    #
    Aurich said:

Well, I guess many folks have a different opinion of Stern. I see a company on a tight budget and constantly cutting corners on quality ... and frequently never even finishing code. If you think it's great for pinball then okay. But many of us were hoping JJP's new direction of higher quality and depp rules, videos, music, etc. was what was good for pinball and I bet that trend is about to be reversed. Yay.

3 months, 1 week ago
    #

All GREAT news for JJP going forward. As a distributor I am estactic of the possibilities.

I will add one caveat of info that they surely wouldn't brag about... They didn't 'go looking for' anyone - The investors are pinball people and CAME TO THEM out of the blue. That in itself is remarkable. These guys aren't any dummies either.

Not to tease, but wait til you see what's in store for Hobbit and beyond. We all will be getting many things we as collectors asked for - different and more things than we got on WOZ - I'll leave it at that. The bar has been raised and will STAY raised.

Jack and crew take a lot of licks and through it all they continue to forge ahead - making top quality games, providing incredible service, and designing with the aim to do more that we are used to with a pinball machine.

I sell more games to folks coming into the hobby NEW because of WOZ than I ever imagined. That's good for all of us - good for collectors selling, good for shows, good for tournaments, good for all manufacturers, old and new. JJP is keeping the hobby strong.

I told Jack a few years ago I hope he realizes he's solidified a place for himself in the hobby - it's another chapter to the History of Pinball book with the technological innovations... Think about it... bagatelle, electricity, flippers, sound, speech, 90's dmds, and now the JJP LCD and technological innovation...

We all owe him a thank you. Bitch about this or that, it's ok, and i'm sure admittingly alot of it would be warranted. But in 2009/2010 you had games going in one direction like say NBA, for example, and nothing else around. Not knocking Stern, but they even have a better product / outlook than they did then and look what other choices you have now with the boutique companies...

The pinball hobby is STRONG. There's ONE reason for that... Jack Guarnieri.

Joe Newhart
    PinballSTAR Amusements
    Authorized Jersey Jack Pinball Distributor
    570-357-0042
    Sales@PinballSTAR.com

Wanna join the discussion? Sign up for a Pinside account, or sign in if you already have one.

© 2001-2014 Pinside.com All rights reserved. Jump to topRSS feedsHelpContactCookiesDesigned by Keeple