(Topic ID: 64203)

I've made a huge mistake... and it's awesome.

By JosiahCox

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_0426.JPG
IMG_0415.JPG
IMG_0431.JPG
DSCF2540.JPG
wargames-quote-not-to-play.jpg
rfd_3.JPG
rfd_2.JPG
RFD_1.JPG
There are 70 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
#51 10 years ago

FYI,
I got my first pin a little over a year ago, and I am negotiation to pickup my 4th this weekend. Over/Under on you acquiring your 2nd pin is 6 months...

#52 10 years ago

i need 9 pins each morning just to make it through the day...there was a time way back i think it was like 6mos ago i only needed 1...

#53 10 years ago
Quoted from Rando:

FYI,
I got my first pin a little over a year ago, and I am negotiation to pickup my 4th this weekend. Over/Under on you acquiring your 2nd pin is 6 months...

Exactly what happened with me.

#54 10 years ago

Got my first pin, a DE SW. Then traded up with cash added to get LOTR. Then I faced the threshold of convincing my wife that having two games would NOT turn our house into an arcade.

We went to the Texas Pinball Festival in 2012 to see Jersey Jack and his WOZ presentation. We even got to visit with Jack and get some inside info on the game. She loved the theme and the look of the WOZ ECLE - threshold crossed! Game two is arriving later this year.

What? Jack is making The Hobbit? Cool! Game three is arriving in 2014.

Yep, for a guy that was only going to try having one pin to see what it was like, I ended up in the deep end of the pool pretty quickly.

Also, I agree that you should get yourself to a show ASAP. It is an amazing experience, even though your flipper fingers will be sore for days after.

#55 10 years ago

being on the west coast gazer, and never being to any "show" which would you recommend?

#56 10 years ago

The only one I have ever been to is the Texas Pinball Festival. It is amazing, but very far from you. Any Pinsiders out there that can recommend a great show near Vancouver BC?

#57 10 years ago

I've been in since Feb. My wife asked me the other day, "When is it going to stop?" (Referring to my incessant scouring CL and Pinside for pins). I thought for a second, eyes down to the ground, and replied, "Probably never".

Inside I'm thinking, "Yeah, baby!"

#58 10 years ago

Next time she says "When is it going to stop?", you tell her to go in the kitchen and make you a sandwich and make it snappy!

Let me know how that works out for you.

#59 10 years ago
Quoted from wcbrandes:

being on the west coast gazer, and never being to any "show" which would you recommend?

The closest would probably be the Northwest Pinball and Arcade Show in Tacoma (used to be in Seattle Proper but moved to a larger venue down the road). Went for the first time last year and it was pretty good. Lots of pins and vids. Not many for sale at all but both WOZ and Metallica were there (those were both still relatively new at the time). Was hoping to see more vendors there with inventory but it was adequate. Borygard (aka Rob) was at the show doing backboard repair and he fixed my T3 transistor issue.

http://www.nwpinballshow.com/

Then if you are feeling adventurous and are looking to buy/trade/play pins, there is Pin A Go Go (PAGG) down in Dixon, CA just west of Sacramento. I have never been but heard it is a really fun, low key show with a real "community" atmosphere. Have heard it is a great place to wheel and deal on pins too.

http://pinagogo.org/

Then there is California Extreme in San Jose, CA. I used to volunteer for this show way back when. Lots of vids and pins. One of the biggest shows on the west coast. Some of the rarest video games and pinballs you will ever find are at this show. I got to play an original Big Bang Bar and a Kingpin at this show.

http://www.caextreme.org/

#60 10 years ago

Four years and close to 200 pins later and I am still looking as hard as I did the first week and still buying stuff I shouldn't be buying. Sad to say it doesn't get any better from what I have seen so far.

Thankfully we mess mostly with "cheaper machines" and we are maxed out at about 40 machines so most machines come and go fairly quickly these days. Just glad I don't have more space or it would never end!

My problem is I really don't like playing pinball all that much but I love bringing dead machines back to life. So I need to keep buying to keep enjoying the hobby.

#61 10 years ago

No way!!! It's not an addiction...no problem....buy them all. Then again, I would not consider myself the voice of reason, seeing that I am building an arcade in my backyard, and I only own 2 pins!

DSCF2540.JPGDSCF2540.JPG

#62 10 years ago

Aha!

I see the OP's pin count is now at 2

Congrats and welcome to the sickness!

#63 10 years ago

Looks like your horse is disappointed that it isn't a new barn.

#64 10 years ago

Congratulations on adding T2 to your collection!

#65 10 years ago

Thanks for the suggestions Elfman! west coast is good so will prob check out the one in San Jose Hope there is a lot of wheeling and dealing as would drive the car trailer down for booty!

#66 10 years ago

As some of you saw the illness progressed rapidly and last week they had to amputate my left arm. Luckily a T2 showed up in it's place.

Yup I am totally screwed. This is just way to cool. The T2 was a local pickup and has always been the pin that I credit with turning me on to pinball when I was a kid so it was a no brainer. The wife even wanted to get it!
So up next I have a trip planned to the Seattle Pinball Rally on the 19th. It's networking time! My main problem is that now I am out of funds and I still have room for another pin. Looks like some stuff may be going on the craigslist chopping block.

Thanks everybody.
Now if I can just find a Stargate within 500 miles that I can afford.....
Cheers and may your pinball dreams come true.

IMG_0431.JPGIMG_0431.JPG IMG_0415.JPGIMG_0415.JPG IMG_0426.JPGIMG_0426.JPG

#67 10 years ago

Nice acquisition.

#68 10 years ago
Quoted from hlaj78:

Looks like your horse is disappointed that it isn't a new barn

That's funny I have been looking at his barn the last 10 years wishing it was an arcade.......

#69 10 years ago

Sickness? I drove 1800 miles round trip last weekend to pickup two machines. And they don't even work yet! I'm considering selling my house so we can move out to the country so I'll have room to build a separate workshop. I've got it bad.

#70 10 years ago

"There is no turning back now. You've woken up the demon.
Get up, come on get down with the sickness."

Welcome Aboard!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 83.00
Electronics
PinballReplacementParts

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 70 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ive-made-a-huge-mistake-and-its-awesome/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.