(Topic ID: 64203)

I've made a huge mistake... and it's awesome.

By JosiahCox

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_0426.JPG
IMG_0415.JPG
IMG_0431.JPG
DSCF2540.JPG
wargames-quote-not-to-play.jpg
rfd_3.JPG
rfd_2.JPG
RFD_1.JPG
There are 70 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 10 years ago

I know I was warned that this hobby turns into an addiction but I had no idea how fast it would get it's claws into me.

I got my first pin 2 weeks ago. It's a Royal Flush Deluxe and it's in fairly decent shape. I have new plastics, drop targets, dip targets, rubber and flipper rebuild kits on the way to undertake my first shopping effort.
It's already proving to be huge hit with family and friends but it's already needing a friend and is feeling lonely. Yup it told me so. What? Your table doesn't talk to you?

I now find myself combing the internet for a T2 or Stargate anywhere within 500 miles of my home. Watching gameplay videos of my favorite tables from childhood and playing pinball arcade has replaced watching tv. Making visit's to locations locally that have pins I like even if I have no reason to go other than to drop a few bucks into the slots. Checking Craigslist and Pinside has bevome a morning ritual. My wife thinks I am going insane.

So my question to those of you who have already had this bug for a while, does it get any better once you have a coupe of pins to play at home or should I just assume that daily craigslist checks and trips around the state to network with other pinheads is something that I should just accept will be the norm now.

The silver lining is that for several days now I have come home to find the wife has been playing our RFD for a couple of hours straight so at least she is buying into the idea that pinball is in our house to stay.
Cheers and thanks for being a community where I don't feel so alone in my new found insanity.
Sorry for the low quality on the pics.

RFD_1.JPGRFD_1.JPG rfd_2.JPGrfd_2.JPG rfd_3.JPGrfd_3.JPG

#2 10 years ago

Hi Josiah and welcome,

I am afraid it doesn't get any better, or not with me at least. Even though I know I don't need any more pins right now or even have room for them, I keep looking. Checking craigslist, Pinside, and taking trailers to shows in case I need to bring one or more back. I have a lot of fun doing it though. Hope you enjoy it as much as I do.

#3 10 years ago

Yup, your screwed just like the rest of us lol

#4 10 years ago

The simple answers are....yes your screwed.

You will calm down a bit after you have filled your home with the maximum amount of machines you can fit in it. But them the real hard part starts, what do you sell to buy the next one?? It will continue over and over again. You will slow down, curb the insanity, but never will it stop unless you quit.

Good Luck

#5 10 years ago

Welcome Pinhead...it's a great hobby, only advise I can give you is to play before you buy.

#6 10 years ago

30 years here. Still hooked.

#7 10 years ago

you haven't even began fooling around with LEDs, sound, leg protectors, etc..

#8 10 years ago

It only gets better once you have filled up ALL available space AND you are out of cash.

Then you slow down IME, YMMV

#9 10 years ago

Welcome to the asylum. Straight jackets with the pinside logo are on order.

#10 10 years ago

Took me about 5 years to chill out and slow down. Probably will never leave the hobby though, pinball addict for life..

#11 10 years ago
Quoted from kvan99:

Welcome Pinhead...it's a great hobby, only advise I can give you is to play before you buy.

While that is awesome advice,
I currently own 3 working machines all purchased within the last year or so and I played none of them beforehand. 2 were working that I bought from a "guy" with a good rep and the other was non-working that I "rescued" from a divorce.

So you can get lucky if you take a chance, but be sure to try and do as much due diligence beforehand that you can.

Luck & enjoy!

#12 10 years ago
Quoted from Pin_Crazed:

You will calm down a bit after you have filled your home with the maximum amount of machines you can fit in it. But them the real hard part starts, what do you sell to buy the next one??

So very true. I am thinking about that a lot lately. I like everything I have, but I am out of room and another pin will be on the way in a few weeks.

#13 10 years ago

Thanks guys!
I guess just buckle up and enjoy the ride right? I am having so much fun just learning right now. I can't wait to start shopping the RFD.

I am buying the home I lived in during my highschool years from my parents as they are downsizing for retirement and luckily the house comes with a huge open lower floor family room that already has a pool table and projection screen that are staying with the house.
We moved in around two months ago and it dawned on me that all of my teenage dreams for that room could be realized and that's when silver ball fever struck and I have pretty much been obsessed since then.

For better or worse I have enough room to put in about 8 pins in that games room so I am sure the money is going to run out first. I got the RFD as a trade for labor from my best friends dad who hadn't used it in years. I have already sold a ton of stuff that I don't use to try and fund a T2 or SG as those two machines have massive nostalgia for me and I want my first purchase to be one of them.

Thanks for the knowledge that I am not alone. Cheers and I hope you all have a great week.

- Josiah

#14 10 years ago

First step...ditch the pool table...

#15 10 years ago

I was waiting for the "sell the pool table" comment.

I moved that table in when I was 15 with about 6 of my friends. It's a solid 1 piece slate and I have zero desire to move it now that I am in my mid 30's.
Honestly I have a bunch of friends who love it and it actually doesn't take up that much room. I have couch seating for 16 people with it in the room and I still have room for 8 pins and a MAME cabinet. As of now I am have plenty of room and not enough pins so I'll cross that bridge later.

#16 10 years ago
Quoted from JosiahCox:

I am have plenty of room

Prediction: In a few years the pool table will be gone and you'll have seating for 2.

#17 10 years ago
Quoted from JosiahCox:

I was waiting for the "sell the pool table" comment.

i was gonna say it but i'm too late, ok then, sofa's gotta go!

enjoy this new sickness, congrats on the pin.

#18 10 years ago

Congrats on your first pin and welcome to the addiction. It's like eating potato chips you can't just have one.

#19 10 years ago

Even when your out of space it doesn't stop. Especially if you love unique and rare games like I do, because then you have to buy them when they show up.

#20 10 years ago

Take two Pinside posts and call me in the morning

#21 10 years ago

I had my limit at 1 machine, because I had "no room". The one machine - High Speed - had to sit tucked away in the corner of my dining room, and it did for awhile.

Fast forward to today, look at me go! Metallica Tron AND High Speed all in the dining room, with Meteor, Firepower, and two Viza War project machines in the garage! Simply removing unnecessary furniture from the dining room (ie - all of it) and parking outside in the snow and rain has allowed for a 600% increase in the number of pins I should own!

#22 10 years ago

Thanks guys. Today must have some amazing pinball mojo and I am now freaking out!!!
Kind of off topic but this just happened a minute ago so I have to share it with you.

A local bar where my 90's cover band plays every once in a while just called me to offer to sell me their T2. I didn't even know they had it but I got talking to the owner two weeks ago when my band played and she mentioned they had one that is their personal pin that they might be willing to sell after we started talking about her TFTC and Starship Troopers tables.
Gonna go look at it and play it Thursday. She said it's in great condition and it even has Mark's sig on the backglass so I am guessing somebody must have loved it at least at one point in it's life.
I think I already know what I am going to do and I don't want my hand held but I'd appreciate any advise as it would be my first purchased pin.
She's asking $2200. Sound about right to you guys? It's one of the two titles that I really want and it's 15 minutes from my house.

#23 10 years ago

here we go...

#24 10 years ago

This is what a lion must feel like when is chasing down a gazelle.

#25 10 years ago

It's like watching puppy love all over again!

#26 10 years ago

"And they call it 'Pinball Love..."

#27 10 years ago
Quoted from JosiahCox:

So my question to those of you who have already had this bug for a while, does it get any better once you have a coupe of pins to play at home or should I just assume that daily craigslist checks and trips around the state to network with other pinheads is something that I should just accept will be the norm now.

Yes.

#28 10 years ago

IMHO, it's about a $1500 to $1800 game.

#29 10 years ago

Only two weeks with your first one and you are looking at another one.

#30 10 years ago
Quoted from JosiahCox:

I find it comes in waves. I'll go on a binge for a few weeks and look for machines and then I sit back and other priorities come into focus. I play what I have and sometimes I even go a month without playing. Then all of a sudden the bug comes back and I get back into it.

Usually its a wave of
1. Get the idea for a machine
2. Research the crap out of the machine
3. Try to play the machine
4. Search for the machine and buy it
5. Play the machine
6. Mod the machine
7. Back to step 1

Rinse and repeat. I've only been in the hobby since May of last year and I have six machines and counting...

#31 10 years ago
Quoted from Acampero:

5. Play the machine
6. Mod the machine
7. Back to step 1

I forgot.... between 5-7 is

Break the machine and Fix the machine

#32 10 years ago
Quoted from Acampero:

I find it comes in waves.

Surfs up!

#33 10 years ago

Welcome to the insanity. Not sure you're aware but there's a pretty prolific collectors group in the Seattle area. They have a forum, Washington Pinball Crazies, that you can join (if you're not a member already). You might be able to find your dream machines through them.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/WPC_2006

#34 10 years ago

Welcome to the addiction. I'm less than a year in and have 8 games now. My advice if you want to slow down is to figure out your wishlist, keep it small, and only go for the games on it. Don't give in and buy every cheap game that pops up on craigslist, or do and have fun!

#35 10 years ago
Quoted from Acampero:

I forgot.... between 5-7 is
Break the machine and Fix the machine

What about fix things that aren't broken? I'm pretty good at that...

#36 10 years ago

It only gets worse from here. Welcome to "the sickness."

#37 10 years ago

Hope ya got LOTS!!! of money and empty space...your gonna need both of them for all the new games you gonna buy. Welcome to the Pinsanity...I mean forum.

#38 10 years ago
Quoted from winteriscoming:

What about fix things that aren't broken? I'm pretty good at that...

For sure. I'm more of the "It wasn't broke til I tried to fix it" type

#39 10 years ago
Quoted from Acampero:

What? There's a hard-to-reach #45 bulb that works perfectly well? I better get in there and swap it out for a #47 and break stuff along the way! Otherwise how would I spend my free time?

#40 10 years ago

Hello fellow Northwesterner! My wife grew up in Ferndale and her parents still live there so we are up there often. The good thing about networking with people that live close is that trades are a very viable option. Even if the trade isn't permanent. Swap a machine of equal value for a few months just to try it out. So if you do pick up the T2 at some point, you may want to try out my T3 for a while.

Yeah, it is a pretty hard habit to kick. For me, it is about the cash. Otherwise, I would have many more machines than the 2 I have.I have started to get the itch again(sorta like Acampero says, it comes in waves). Currently in the market for a BSD, FT , Indy 500 or on the higher end, a Family Guy.

#41 10 years ago

The sickness never abates. Your only hope is to turn to other expensive hobbies like I accidentally did with saltwater aquariums. I never had much money (or much time) for pinball after I got into that hobby. After 12 years I sold my 125g reef aquarium this summer and my pinball fever is back in full force. My wife WAS happy when the tank left but now remembers what I was like before I started it lol.

#42 10 years ago

Hercules is a huge mistake. this was just a normal sized mistake

#43 10 years ago

PAC NW represent right Elfman? I am hoping that I can start networking exactly for that reason. I would love to meet others in the I-5 corridor who are great people and love pinball. Trading games for half a year at a time seems like a great way to get exposed to new titles that you can't find on route in your home town.

Well I have a very strong feeling that I will have a T2 in my house within a week. ;D

#44 10 years ago

Yup your screwed man.As one who has gone through 10 pins in one year its the worst/best addiction.Hope your area is a little more forgiving than ours.

#45 10 years ago

Started a little over a year ago, own nine, have sold three others, it truly is a disease, bought most of mine without having played them previously, and has worked well for me. I look for deals and not specific titles and if I like them they stay. Enjoy the addiction.

#46 10 years ago

Your only limits will be money and maybe space. Best way to not get addicted to something is not to start at all, LOL.

#47 10 years ago
Quoted from Acampero:

Repeat after me. I've never broken anything...it was always 'the idiot that had it before me'.

#48 10 years ago

Your only limits will be money and maybe space. Best way to not get addicted to something is not to start at all, LOL.

wargames-quote-not-to-play.jpgwargames-quote-not-to-play.jpg

#49 10 years ago

Welcome to the addiction. Great first machine!

I went from "Eh...I suppose I could spend $400 on a Cragslist machine--I used to play them a lot growing up" to having 6 (creatively-financed) machines over the course of one year. And I hope you follow a similar path!

Get yourself to one of the big pinball festivals ASAP. That'll permanently lock in your sickness.

#50 10 years ago
Quoted from Nuclear_Waste:

(creatively-financed) machines

Ain't that the truth!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 83.00
Electronics
PinballReplacementParts

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 70 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ive-made-a-huge-mistake-and-its-awesome and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.