(Topic ID: 83408)

Is it worth a 1 hr drive to play Ship Ahoy and / or Hot Shots?

By funtimewithdave

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“To go or not to go, that is the question”

• Yea go 6 votes
    40%
  • No, dont go 2 votes
    13%
  • These games are not worth it 7 votes
    47%

(15 votes by 0 Pinsiders)

#1 10 years ago

I live in Syracuse. Both these games are listed at a Ramada Inn in Watertown, NY. 1 hr drive each way from my house, but I have time to kill tomorrow, and itchy flipper fingers. Anybodys thoughts? Listed on the map as 25 cent games, and no update since July 2013.
Many thanks
~Dave

#2 10 years ago

If you love old em action maybe.I've owned ship ahoy not that good hope there still in the place good luck

#3 10 years ago

Got Beer?

#4 10 years ago

I do have beer, but have things to do in the evening, where I cannot be even tipsy!

#5 10 years ago

Last bump, then thus post can die with dignity

#6 10 years ago

I don't think I would, but if your up for adventure go of it.

#7 10 years ago

Wanted to let everyone know, I didt not listen and went anyway!
Ship Ahoy was my first EM and I had a blast with it. Although, I can see where the detractors would say it is quite an easy and boring game. Like I said, first time in my life playing an EM and it wasnt bad.
Also! Hot Shots was gone and replaced with a Silver Slugger. Ive been reading that it is a stripped down game, a "street level" pin, trying to maximize profits for arcade owners. I say to that POPPYCOCK. I had a blast playing this one, the theme was spot on, the homerun shot was fun. If i was an owner, I would probley get rid of that little nob right in the middle of the ball collection spot, saves too many balls.
All in all, a great trip. I will be making it again someday, although not today (Snowmageddon 2014 here in upstate NY).

Final Votes
YES GO - 2 votes
NO GO - 1 vote
NO, GAMES ARE NOT WORTH DRIVE - 4 votes

#8 10 years ago

Answers would be far different if you just asked people would they drive one hour for a game most would say yes.

#9 10 years ago

If I had seen this topic at the beginning I would have absolutely voted yes. When a WOZ hit New York City I drove almost 5 hours each way just to play it for the first time. I've taken multiple state trips just to find pins that were listed as being on location. A Junkyard down in Connecticut. A Twilight Zone up in New Hampshire. An Arcade almost 3 hours away in Portland. Silverball Museum in Asbury Park. And everywhere I go I do some quick research to see if I can find a pin or two around that area. I have never been disappointed by a single one of these adventures. Even the ones that turn out to be broken machines. The One Flipper revenge from mars, the AC/DC with no balls, the Ripley's with all the balls stuck in the scoop resting on a bad switch. All of them fun excursions.

I'm really glad you took the time to go. If I heard of two EM machines an hour from my house, I'd be planning a visit Saturday. And I bet I'd find myself a great lunch somewhere and meet some very friendly people along the way. Sounds like a good use of time to me.

#10 10 years ago
Quoted from DaveH:

If I had seen this topic at the beginning I would have absolutely voted yes. When a WOZ hit New York City I drove almost 5 hours each way just to play it for the first time. I've taken multiple state trips just to find pins that were listed as being on location. A junkyard down in Connecticut. A Twilight Zone up in New Hampshire. An Arcade almost 3 hours away in Portland. Silverball Museum in Asbury Park. And everywhere I go I do some quick research to see if I can find a pin or two around that area. I have never been disappointed by a single one of these adventures. Even the ones that turn out to be broken machines. The One Flipper Revenge From Mars, the AC/DC with no balls, the Ripley's with all the balls stuck in the scoop resting on a bad switch. All of them fun excursions.
I'm really glad you took the time to go. If I heard of two EM machines an hour from my house, I'd be planning a visit Saturday. And I bet I'd find myself a great lunch somewhere and meet some very friendly people along the way. Sounds like a good use of time to me.

For me a lot of it is the journey not the destination.

#11 10 years ago

I just saw this thread. I'm the one who put those on the map, was not aware Hot Shots was gone, apologies. I'm glad the operator replaced a pin with a pin though, even if it was Silver Slugger lol. Give me a shout next time you're up this way, if I'm around stop by and play some pinball/have a beer, Monte Carlo is the only one working at the moment, but I may have more ready by then.

#12 10 years ago

Thanks for the vine Scotty, will do. You have more machines that are not in working order?

#13 10 years ago

I have a Hardbody that is undergoing a super shop job. Those are the only two at the moment, but I've been known to pick up games on a whim, so it's hard to say what will be around from month to month.

#14 10 years ago

A little late , but to answer your original question, Hell Yeah !

#15 10 years ago

As DaveH and others have said, a trip to play pinball is as much about the trip, the people, the lunch and the overall experience as it is actually playing! This past Saturday I ventured to Pittsburgh, PA (about 75 minutes from my house) to hit Kickback Cafe in Lawrenceville, have dinner and then (supposedly) to go over to the Bradish Street Pinball Parlor afterward. Well, Ol' Scotty here forgot about it being St. Patrick's Day! The places around Lawrenceville were NUTS!

I did get in about an hour and half of playing time there, ate at a great Indian buffet in GreenTree (Tamarind) and then headed of to see Chris at Bradish Street, which is in the South Side/Carson Street area of Pittsburgh. I should have realized if Lawrenceville was like IT was, this was going to be like driving in to a war zone!!! And it was! Called Chris to make sure he was going to be open and he said he was not. Hmmm. That shoots down the second half of my Pittsburgh Pinball Excursion.

So, I just decide to drive back down I-79 to home...thinking I'll hit a couple of single machine places I knew of but had never been to on the way back. First place was a bowling alley in Washington, PA that had a broken Ripley's. At this point I told myself, "just take the old road back home and enjoy the evening drive"...which I did.

When I got to Waynesburg, PA I decided to get back on I-79, but as I drove through the town I saw a sign on a building that made me laugh out loud! Over to the right of the road in a smallish shopping center was a business called "Norge Village". I instantly remembered the old "Saturday Night Live" skits featuring Dan Akroyd as the Norge repair man. Anyway, in the midst of my laughter I noticed that they had a pinball machine in the very front of the laundromat up against the window!!! I immediately pulled in a played a 20-25 minute game of Pirates Of The Caribbean, so the trip was not completely a disaster after dinner...just something other than what was expected!

My point? ALWAYS make the trip. You'll never know what you might find!!!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist
Protection
Cabinet - Other
The Pinball Scientist
Other
$ 83.00
Electronics
PinballReplacementParts
Electronics
$ 79.95
Electronics
PinballReplacementParts
Electronics
$ 4.00
Playfield - Decals
UpKick Pinball
Decals
$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist
Protection
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley
Pinball Machine
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Sound/Speakers
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/is-it-worth-a-1-hr-drive-to-play-ship-ahoy-and-or-hot-shots and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.