(Topic ID: 66622)

Is it possible to add a shaker motor on a inball that wasn't programmed for one?

By Geocab

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 22 posts
  • 11 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by markmon
  • Topic is favorited by 6 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

#1 10 years ago

I've only experienced a shaker motor a few times but I think they are pretty cool. Last week I played a Roadshow with one and I really liked the effect when it kicked on.

So it got me wondering if it would be possible to add to my machines somehow. Although I don't know in what way they would work on each.

F-14 would probably be cool if the shaker activated with a Yagov hit. Or maybe with each light show, like a ball lock and when multiball starts, or even getting a replay score.

Demolition Man - hmmm, not sure. Demolition Time would work for the intro and every time you score and you get that explosion chain.

Sorcerer - since I'm just speculating, hooked up to the flashers so it shook at spelling Sorcerer, and for multiball release might be cool.

Firepower - no idea.

Thoughts? Ideas? Possible?

#2 10 years ago

I put one in Humpty Dumpty and it works just fine.

#3 10 years ago

I want one in my bk2k when the drawbridge goes down

#4 10 years ago
Quoted from Part_3:

I put one in Humpty Dumpty and it works just fine.

C'mon now.

#5 10 years ago

I put a Pinbits AFM shaker in my POTC, it shakes when you smack the Krakken.

#6 10 years ago

In short, yes.

We used a pig 2 to put a shaker motor into an F14. You got little shakes from the pop bumper, long hard shakes from yagov and ball return, and a pulsing shake during multiball.

The pig 2 can use lamps, flashers, motors, switches, and coils to trigger shakes.

We still need to do further testing but if you want to find out more, PM me.

You can check out the pig 2 at http://www.dkpinball.com/DKWP/?page_id=457.

#7 10 years ago
Quoted from tracelifter:

How did you wire it? I think POTC would be awesome with a shaker.

#8 10 years ago
Quoted from pinballpete:

How did you wire it? I think POTC would be awesome with a shaker.

Black to ground braid purple to the black on the Krakken flasher and red to the red on the Krakken flasher.
Green and white are not used.
It works really well in this game.

#9 10 years ago

<shameless pat on back>
Cough, my Hyperpin has 2 shaker motors that work for all the games listed - Change a single file and add the solenoid number, duration of milliseconds, and the intensity. Fully customizable
</shameless pat on back>

Back to my Hefeweisen

For real pins, there are a few kits or the PIG/PIG2. The PIG sounds like it has the most customizable options for a non-shaker pin. The kits will save you some funds, if they are available.

#10 10 years ago

The PIG 2 sounds like something I'd be interested in to make these things happen. Not sure how much I'd want to spend on Sorcerer or Firepower, but I think F-14 would be awesome with a shaker motor. Adding a sub added to the experience, and also adding back the missing flashers from the service bulletin. I think Demolition Man might benefit too, but of the machines I own, F-14 would be the most fitting, IMO.

Can the PIG 2 be programmed to react to sound files? Pull the addresses from the sound card maybe? I'm asking because the explosion sounds during Demolition Time would be a good time for a shaker motor to do its thing, but the flashers don't really go crazy while you hear, BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM.

#11 10 years ago

I did! Sometimes it shakes so much, Humpty falls off the wall!

#12 10 years ago

Sorry for the delay, Expo kind of swallowed me up. Unfortunately no, the PIG only takes electrical signals (and magnetic if you're using reed switches) but it does not react to game sound.

2 months later
#14 10 years ago

Ok. I'm part of the way there, I have a PIG2, now I need a shaker. Where can I get one that will work in F-14? Thanks for the help.

#15 10 years ago
Quoted from Geocab:

Ok. I'm part of the way there, I have a PIG2, now I need a shaker. Where can I get one that will work in F-14? Thanks for the help.

None will work in an f14. You're going to have to adapt it. Try a stern shaker. The motor will need 12v and ground. Then you have a brown wire to go to your pig.

#16 10 years ago

I knew I had to adapt it, but I was wondering if it mattered if I bought a Stern kit, or if I had to find one that was used in other Williams machines like Roadshow.

#17 10 years ago

a shaker motor is nothing more than a motor. i have put stern motors in williams games. it just takes the signal from the machines, activates the 12v line and starts shaking.

#18 10 years ago

Cool, thanks.

#19 10 years ago
Quoted from tracelifter:

+1 I put a STTNG shaker from Pinbits in my POTC. It shakes when you hit the ship/Kraken.

#20 10 years ago

I'm really sorry on the lag for this one. You can use anyone's shaker motor. I'll be getting the one I do the testing on from Pinball Life. I have the code and I meant to pick up the test motor last week. Life just keeps getting in the way.

I'll get an update as soon as I can.

Edit: Also, the -20 temperatures really squashed the trips to PBL for me last week.

#21 10 years ago

No worries, life is like that. I don't see one available at PBL. He must be sold out at the moment. I hope he gets some in soon, I'd like to order some more pinballs too.

#22 10 years ago
Quoted from tbanthony:

+1 I put a STTNG shaker from Pinbits in my POTC. It shakes when you hit the ship/Kraken.

Yea, these methods are good. I wrote the guide on how to do that on PoTC. But if you're going to use a pig2 to control the process, you probably don't want the extra processing provided by these motors. Instead, you'd use the microcontroller on the pig2 to handle the pulse length.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

4,500 (OBO)
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Grand Rapids, MI
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods

$ 81.95
$ 39.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 72.95
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

2,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Hawesville, KY
$ 17.00
Cabinet - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 160.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 10.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 25.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 29.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 31.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

4,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Richmond, VA
$ 40.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/is-it-possible-to-add-a-shaker-motor-on-a-inball-that-wasnt-programmed-for-one and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.