CFTBL-Starlight.JPG
photo 1.jpeg
starlight plastic.jpg
IMG_8996.JPG
DSCN2244.JPG
DSCN2245.JPG
image-461.jpg
CFTBL-Starlight.JPG
There are 570 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 12.
#1 11 years ago

So I just got a bunch of PM's from RGP as a result of a bump of an old thread about the CFTBL speaker panel mods I made about a year ago. For those of you who aren't aware of the mod, it is designed to work with the CPR repro speaker panel plastics with the light mask. It lights up the taillights of the cars, the moon, UFO, and chases the Starlight sign. I also offered a peel-and-stick vinyl light mask to be used with the original speaker panel plastic if someone didn't want to spring for the new panel. I have a video of it in action that I'll post once I find it again.

It seems there could be enough interest to do another run. I have had some people show interest in a version of this mod that had some lighting effects based on game triggers. So I am interested to know: a) are there are more people who want this mod, b) if there is interest, how much interest is there in a rev 2 mod that will have some lighting effects linked to gameplay, and c) if b, then what kind of effects are you interested in seeing?

Thanks,
Jeff

#2 11 years ago

I'm interested in someone just selling me the CNC cut speaker panel with the STARLIGHT letters and tail lights already cut out. I am planning on doing my own mod using a PIC microcontroller to add some cool animation effects/sequences to the STARLIGHT letters.

Will you be able to just sell the individual wood panel?

#3 11 years ago

I'd be willing to go for one if the price is reasonable. Combined with the LCD mod, this is going to be a good time to own creature

#4 11 years ago

I bought one from you a few months ago. Looks very well done and hoping to get it fitted next week. Will post pictures when fitted. It was packed superbly as well.

I went for the brand new speaker panel deluxe version.

#5 11 years ago

I am in for 1 if you make the wood cutout too.

#6 11 years ago

As a frustrated person who bought the speaker panel 2 years ago in anticipation of the Pinbits mod, I can now say that I am ready to jump at anything that is reasonably close, even if I may ultimately buy the Pinbits version anyway. I am interested to see the video. I probably would rather have version 1 soon rather than a version 2 later.

#7 11 years ago

Please count me in. Was following the bumped post on your mod for your Rev. A. I'm down for a Rev B. but not clever enough to say exactly what. I'd be extremely happy to see any linked to gameplay feature. With that said, I'd still go with your Rev. A but prepared to spend more on B.

Maybe some randomness to the tail lights turning off/on per car to add some more lighting like "Move Your Car!" mode?

#8 11 years ago

I have the speaker panel plastic from pinbits, if it works with that I will be interested in one.

#9 11 years ago

Count me in. What was the original price? Do we need to private PM you to secure?

Chris

#10 11 years ago

$100, hell yeah. (I am hoping it will be under $100).

#12 11 years ago

I would be interested as well

#13 11 years ago

I'm tired of waiting for pinbits as well. I'd be in for one, either version, with the peel and stick light mask.

#14 11 years ago

Well it seems like there is plenty of interest to make another batch...between here and RGP I must have at least 20 people interested. I think what I will be doing is making another batch of the same panels, since I have PCBs and some other parts left over from the first run, and I'll try to add an option to do some light effects based on the game using an add-on module of some sort. That way if you don't care about that feature you can just buy the panel itself and be done.

It would really help me if those of you who are (genuinely) interested in purchasing one of the mods could PM me so that I can make a list. Please only PM if you are definitely planning to follow through and buy one, as I will be using this list to place my material order. The cost this time around is going to be $85 plus shipping, as you all know the cost of parts and goods is only going up and even in the last year electronic components have gotten more expensive. Shipping last time around was a flat $15 to anywhere in the US and I think I can keep that the same.

I am still open to ideas on the game-based effects. Some people mentioned the "Move Your Car" lights as a potential trigger. I was thinking about that too, that and maybe having just the center car's taillights on at the end of a game as the car is driving away on the display - though I'd have to figure out how to detect that the game is over. Fortunately this doesn't have to be decided just yet and it won't stop me from moving forward on the build.

Thanks everyone!

#15 11 years ago

Also I meant to post the link to the video...here it is:

https://picasaweb.google.com/108347230708611651054/CFTBLSpeakerPanelMod?authuser=0&authkey=Gv1sRgCLrT6Ka6q-WqBg&feat=directlink#

They all appear as photos at first but the fourth one in the list is actually a video.

#16 11 years ago

I would love to see the video using the original panel. Did you keep it at $100 for me?

#17 11 years ago

I'm in.

#18 11 years ago

looks great, count me in as well. what all does your kit include? (I'm guessing at the very least, pre-fabricated pc boards w/ the leds and a new pre-cut mdf speaker board to mount everything to)

I'm tired of waiting on pinbits.com version as well (I can't tell you how many times I've spoken with them and asked for a date/price and never got a response)

as far as triggers go, in addition to flashing the taillights a few times for the start of "move your car" (if that's possible), maybe turning off all the taillights at the end of the game (for a set period of time, seeing as all of the patrons would be driving away and leaving the drive-in) might be a cool idea.

#19 11 years ago

Please add me to the list.

#20 11 years ago

I'm all in...

#21 11 years ago

I'm very intersted as well. Thanks for doing this. I bought my CPR light panel as soon as got my creech and have been eagerly waiting for this mod to be available.

#22 11 years ago

Is anyone still selling the CPR speaker panel?

#24 11 years ago
Quoted from donjagra:

Is anyone still selling the CPR speaker panel?

+1, I would order one if I had the panel, can you use the original?

#25 11 years ago

Please put me on the list too.

#26 11 years ago

I'm in!!

#27 11 years ago

+1 (as long as it includes the wood panel). I was actually going to do my own STARLIGHT animation, but I really like what you've done with yours. I'd say keep everything as is. You've done a really nice job on this.

#28 11 years ago

Thanks for the kudos everyone. Here are some answers to your questions:

1) Can I use the original panel?
Yes, I have created a custom-cut vinyl peel-and-stick mask for using the original speaker panel for $15. The original is set up for backlighting but Bally/WMS applied the black adhesive mask on the back of the panel like they do on many games that completely blacked out the entire panel. This needs to be removed with Goo Gone (or similar) and some elbow grease. If you are willing to do this, then the $15 will save you the cost of the CPR repro panel. Mind you, the CPR panels are very nicely done and the premium version includes the mirrored car bumpers which looks really neat. FYI the video I posted is of my original panel with the light mask as I scratched the crap out of my CPR repro during the development process (there are lots of sharp things in my workshop).
2) What is included?
The panel itself is baltic birch plywood (not cheap MDF like the original), painted black and custom routed to contain the PCBs and other hardware from the original panel. You'll need to transfer over all the metal parts, except t-nuts and display mounting screws, which are already installed, to the new panel. Speaker grilles are also included since the cutting of these is pretty intricate to create openings for the LEDS and i didn't want people to be cursing as they accidentally cut too much off their originals, or cut them jagged and scratched the artwork on the panel, anyway you get the idea. There is a plug and pass-through connector that plugs onto one of the +5V connectors on the power driver board. That's basically it. I will post the installation instructions for the kit when I get a chance so you can all see how it will go.

Now I have to go compile the list of responders...I've been swamped at work so those of you who have PM'd, thanks for doing so and I apologize for not confirming you yet, I will do my best to send out emails tonight.

Jeff

#29 11 years ago

Sounds awesome, I cannot wait. Thanks Jeff.

Mike

#30 11 years ago

Count me in.... PM me when you are ready for payment....!!!! Thank you

#31 11 years ago

Just bumping this one to make sure that everyone who wants to be on the list for the next run of speaker panels is counted...I have NOT used posts to determine who is on the list, as it's too difficult to correlate them with PMs. So please if you want to be on the list and haven't already done so PM me and if you could include your email that will help make sure I produce the right # of panels.

Thanks,
Jeff

#32 11 years ago

Thanks Jeff for sharing this with everyone. Really excited for this one.

#33 11 years ago

I really like the way these tail lights are integrated. You should rig it something like this.

#34 11 years ago

donjagra:
I'm not sure if I like that. it's too busy and distracting for my liking, I'd rather have them all on or off and then get triggered (again either all of them, or maybe one set) for a specific event like "move your car"

otherwise, I'm more than happy with what jeff has done so far and is offering

jeff:
should you choose to provide a v2.0 option, how easy would it be for those of us that purchased the current version to upgrade if we wanted to (eg. would it be a code change with either a chip swap/flash update, or something more complex like a wiring change which really wouldn't be feasible?

#35 11 years ago
Quoted from j_m_:

donjagra:
I'm not sure if I like that. it's too busy and distracting for my liking, I'd rather have them all on

+1

#36 11 years ago

I'm in as well.

Please let me know when I'm confirmed and I'll order the CPR panel.

#37 11 years ago

The way I'm proceeding on rev 2 is this: first off I've added independent control of all taillight LEDs (rev 1 had them grouped). Second, I've added an intelligent serial interface to the controller board that will be able to interface to another board that I will offer as an upgrade option later on. The upgrade board will be a snooper that looks at the switch and lamp matrices and will be able to override the default light show on the panel via the serial interface. Doing it this way will give people options and not put a financial burden on those customers who don't care about game triggers. When I make the upgrade kit I may offer a way for the end-user to customize the triggers, but only if I am able to make it easy to do. The last thing I'd want to do is make something that becomes a support nightmare.

Jeff

Quoted from j_m_:

donjagra:
I'm not sure if I like that. it's too busy and distracting for my liking, I'd rather have them all on or off and then get triggered (again either all of them, or maybe one set) for a specific event like "move your car"
otherwise, I'm more than happy with what jeff has done so far and is offering
jeff:
should you choose to provide a v2.0 option, how easy would it be for those of us that purchased the current version to upgrade if we wanted to (eg. would it be a code change with either a chip swap/flash update, or something more complex like a wiring change which really wouldn't be feasible?

#38 11 years ago

Sounds great Jeff. Looking forward to it!

#39 11 years ago
Quoted from thompso9:

econd, I've added an intelligent serial interface to the controller board that will be able to interface to another board that I will offer as an upgrade option later on. The upgrade board will be a snooper that looks at the switch and lamp matrices and will be able to override the default light show on the panel via the serial interface.

Dang, that would be sweet.

To be honest, I'm not in love with the paid lanes. I just liked that it did something in sync with the machine during attract mode.

#40 11 years ago

Thought some might like to see the kit I received. Not fitted yet.

Deluxe panel plus Jeff's mod. Will be fitted soon

IMG_6949.JPGIMG_6949.JPG IMG_6951.JPGIMG_6951.JPG

#41 11 years ago
Quoted from Shapeshifter:

Thought some might like to see the kit I received. Not fitted yet.
Deluxe panel plus Jeff's mod. Will be fitted soon

How much is that Mod? and does the word Starlight and the moon light up?

Thanks,

1 week later
#42 11 years ago

I ordered my Deluxe from CPR and hope to have it next week. Anxious to see the "mirrored" look over the Enhanced one.

And any updates on the mod Jeff? Can't wait!

#43 11 years ago

I would also be interested in another one. They are very good quality and very reasonablw for what you get.

#44 11 years ago

Finally got mine up and running - long story, nothing to do with panel! Anyway, I really like it and even someone who doesn't like mods gave it the thumbs up

IMG_6964.JPGIMG_6964.JPG

#45 11 years ago

Awesome and thanks for sharing. It really should have came this way even if the lamps were always on...

#46 11 years ago
Quoted from Shapeshifter:

Finally got mine up and running - long story, nothing to do with panel! Anyway, I really like it and even someone who doesn't like mods gave it the thumbs up

And how does the mirrored of the Deluxe look? Mine should be here Wednesday.

#47 11 years ago
Quoted from dmacy:

And how does the mirrored of the Deluxe look? Mine should be here Wednesday.

I like the mirrored - it is a subtle effect but very nice.

#48 11 years ago

Hi Folks,

Things are moving along here and I thought I'd share the details with everyone. Apart from the holidays, we just found out we are expecting our fourth child (say a prayer for a girl!) and that put me into something of a frenzy. I ended up liquidating half of my pinball collection, partly for cash but partly so that I can actually start finishing my basement. I know in 8 months that won't be a possibility anymore...

Now for the CFTBL panel update: PCB design is done. PCBs are out for fabrication and parts are on order. I expect to have them back in a week's time, at which point I need to get my guy started building them, I don't think it will be cost-effective to have the PCBs machine built so they will likely be assembled by hand like the first batch. Also the plywood for the panels is in-house, it will take 4 5'x5' sheets of 1/2" Baltic Birch, planed down to 0.4" to match the original panel, to make the quantity of panels I need.

Because everything has been ordered at this point, the preorder is technically closed. However I do have 6 panels that are unaccounted for in this run so if anyone still wants in, now would be the time. I will be making these panels no matter what, so they will be available later if no one claims them now.

I hope to have another update in a week or so. At that time I'll talk about the new functionality that these panels have over the rev 1 panels that I ran last time. Until then, take care everyone and try not let the holiday stress take your sanity!

Thanks,
Jeff

#49 11 years ago

congratulations for the baby to come, Jeff!
thanks for the update.

#50 11 years ago

Sounds great and congratulations!

Can rev 1 panels be updated if I wanted this??

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Portland, ME
$ 27.95
€ 24.00
€ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 45.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 549.00
Playfield - Other
Juz PINBALL Mods

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 9.95
$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 280.00
Playfield - Other
Avid Creations Wireforms

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
West Chicago, IL
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 250.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Trade
Machine - For Trade
East Rutherford, NJ
Machine - For Sale
Matthews, NC
$ 10.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

There are 570 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 12.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/interest-advice-on-cftbl-speaker-panel-led-mod-re-run and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.