image-825.jpg
image-816.jpg
image-719.jpg
image-1715.jpg
image-192.jpg
image-679.jpg
image-658.jpg
image-528.jpg
There are 456 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 10.
#1 10 years ago

since it works, i'm almost afraid to clean this... it's the 0-9 unit from my royal guard... hopefully the black gunk isn't the only thing holding the rivets in place...

image-638.jpgimage-638.jpg

#2 10 years ago

Just old grease. I've cleaned worse looking ones with no problem.

#3 10 years ago

yea, seriously old grease, with a lot of dirt mixed in for good measure... i'm relatively amazed that it works, that stuff is like glue...

#4 10 years ago
Quoted from ccotenj:

yea, seriously old grease, with a lot of dirt mixed in for good measure... i'm relatively amazed that it works, that stuff is like glue...

Rule number 1 of EM's. If it works, don't fix it.

#5 10 years ago
Quoted from tamoore:

now where is the fun in that?

rule number 1 for me should be: don't get distracted by stuff like this on other machines when the project machine is still in a zillion pieces...

#6 10 years ago
Quoted from tamoore:

Yes.
Someone once posted on here that "The enemy of good is better."
We like to live by that when we can.

#7 10 years ago

I can't see any wear on the rivets, it's just a build up of crap. That will clean up great. When there are tram lines in the rivets, you need new rivets, when the Bakelite between them is dug out, you need new Bakelite. Don't worry about nothing, get it cleaned up and shining.

#8 10 years ago
Quoted from ccotenj:

You just don't want to get your hands dirty............ LOL.

#9 10 years ago
Quoted from nick-the-greek:

I can't see any wear on the rivets, it's just a build up of crap. That will clean up great. When there are tram lines in the rivets, you need new rivets, when the Bakelite between them is dug out, you need new Bakelite. Don't worry about nothing, get it cleaned up and shining.

yea, it shouldn't be too bad... there's a pretty good groove all the way around, but i doubt it will be an issue...

Quoted from JKnPA:

You just don't want to get your hands dirty............ LOL.

well... there IS that....

plus... once i start on that, it means i have to clean the other side, polish all the pieces, etc. ocd has a way of taking over and turning a 30 minute job into 6 hour one...

#10 10 years ago
Quoted from tamoore:

lol

#11 10 years ago
Quoted from tamoore:

LOL, but many would disagree.

Always clean the rivet discs and steppers if the game has not been given any attention in years.

Failure to clean those rivets will most likely become a problem in the near future. I'm really surprised your game is working properly.

#12 10 years ago
Quoted from ccotenj:

yea, it shouldn't be too bad... there's a pretty good groove all the way around, but i doubt it will be an issue...

well... there IS that....
plus... once i start on that, it means i have to clean the other side, polish all the pieces, etc. ocd has a way of taking over and turning a 30 minute job into 6 hour one...

Have you finished your other project (Magic City) before you start tearing this one apart?

#13 10 years ago

Just shows you how tough these old birds are.

For me that's a job for some break clean. Will cut right thru things.

But a buck says you break a few of those brittle interconnecting wires between the springs.

If you want some help let me know.

Solder is my thing.

#14 10 years ago

If one stepper is gummed up, then they ALL are (in most cases). No big deal to take them apart & clean up.

#16 10 years ago

Must be a lodda games on that one ccotenj.

#17 10 years ago
Quoted from dasvis:

If one stepper is gummed up, then they ALL are (in most cases). No big deal to take them apart & clean up.

While your at it Chris, you might want to check those Score Wheels too, and everything else in the Head.

Quoted from way2wyrd:

Do it. You know you want to.

You heard Jeff, time for fun!

Ken

#18 10 years ago
Quoted from stashyboy:

Have you finished your other project (Magic City) before you start tearing this one apart?

of course not... i need mother nature to cooperate a bit though (as i look out the window at 4 MORE inches of snow)... i gotta get the cabinet outside so i can sand the inside of it... not that there aren't other things that could be done on it, but that's my excuse...

#19 10 years ago
Quoted from Garrett:

LOL, but many would disagree.
Always clean the rivet discs and steppers if the game has not been given any attention in years.
Failure to clean those rivets will most likely become a problem in the near future. I'm really surprised your game is working properly.

yea, i'm surprised as well... i've had ones that don't look nearly as bad "not work"...

Quoted from fflint_18:

Just shows you how tough these old birds are.
For me that's a job for some break clean. Will cut right thru things.
But a buck says you break a few of those brittle interconnecting wires between the springs.
If you want some help let me know.
Solder is my thing.

amazingly tough...

not taking that bet, as i've broken them on virtually every other one i've taken apart...

i may take you up on that, as the magic city is at the point mechanically where it basically only needs a few hours of soldering, and as you know, i'm not the most highly skilled solderer in the world... what will take me all day will probably take you 45 minutes...

Quoted from dasvis:

yes, they all could use some love... not surprising, as just about everything on this machine was gummed up pretty good... for example, the snap targets barely moved they were so crudded...

#20 10 years ago
Quoted from SteveFury:

Must be a lodda games on that one ccotenj.

yea, that wheel has spun a LOT of times... a bit north of 23,000 on the play meter, and looking at the playfield, you'd think that was possible... but when you look at the mechanicals, it's safe to say that the meter has turned over and it is really 123,000...

#21 10 years ago
Quoted from way2wyrd:

Do it. You know you want to.

yes, i do... i actually like doing stuff like this, a few hours of work and you get a good feeling of accomplishment when you are done... plus you can play the game when you are done, it's not like a total teardown where you just move on to the next piece and don't get any instant gratification...

Quoted from EM-PINMAN:

While your at it Chris, you might want to check those Score Wheels too, and everything else in the Head.
Ken

what makes you think i didn't do that once i saw that 0-9 mech? needless to say, the wheels/everything else could use some love too... but as noted above, doing that stuff isn't bad... do one piece at a time, play game in between... before you know it, everything is all clean and in tip-top shape...

#22 10 years ago

I love stepper units! Be careful when you take those disc parts....I had one where those little springs fell on my garage floor! That took about an hour just to find those!

How do you guys clean yours? I normally use alcohol and 600 wet sandpaper. Cleans those connectors right up.

#23 10 years ago
Quoted from jodini:

I love stepper units! Be careful when you take those disc parts....I had one where those little springs fell on my garage floor! That took about an hour just to find those!
How do you guys clean yours? I normally use alcohol and 600 wet sandpaper. Cleans those connectors right up.

yes, the "law of little parts" definitely holds true there... why do they always end up in the worst possible place?

as far as cleaning... i degrease them with mean green, then sand with alcohol and 600 wet... then clean up the mess from the sanding with alcohol... add a dab or two of superlube, and it is good to go...

#24 10 years ago

^^ Iso-alcohol and a toothbrush followed by nylon scuff pad finished w/thin smear Super lube ™.
Luckily the rivets are not worn.

#25 10 years ago

Since the rivets are brass, I use Brasso with great results. I rarely have to use anything mechanical like sandpaper.

Quoted from jodini:

#26 10 years ago
Quoted from stashyboy:

Since the rivets are brass, I use Brasso with great results. I rarely have to use anything mechanical like sandpaper.

dang, i never thought of that...

#27 10 years ago
Quoted from stashyboy:

I use Brasso with great results.

Ditto. works great, I use that and some green scotch brite pad and make it shine

--Jeff

#28 10 years ago

i think i have a can of brasso hanging around somewhere... sounds like a "neater" method that the alcohol/sandpaper... that always makes a mess...

#29 10 years ago
Quoted from tamoore:

LOL

#30 10 years ago

600 grit sandpaper wet in 91% iso cleans up the divots in 2 minutes. Easiest no brainer clean there is of any cleaning I have had to do on a pinball machine so far.

#31 10 years ago

Look at the old loom covered wires. Love that!

#32 10 years ago
Quoted from jodini:

How do you guys clean yours? I normally use alcohol and 600 wet sandpaper.

I use Mean Green if Super Dirty, followed by at least 91% alcohol (Just found 99% at a Fred Meyer Store which surprised me) with a Scotchbrite Pad, and clean up with a alcohol soaked paper towel.

Ken

#33 10 years ago
Quoted from Pinfidel:

Look at the old loom covered wires. Love that!

are there any other kind?

#34 10 years ago
Quoted from ccotenj:

are there any other kind?

Yeah, the plastic/vinyl coated ones of today.

I love those old material covered wires. So Cool.

#35 10 years ago
Quoted from Pinfidel:

Yeah, the plastic/vinyl coated ones of today.
I love those old material covered wires. So Cool.

Better yet, the hand stitching instead of tie wraps!

#36 10 years ago

i am a convert to the brasso method... much less mess and very easy... although i did degrease it first since it was so caked...

before...

image-912.jpgimage-912.jpg

after...

image-787.jpgimage-787.jpg

#37 10 years ago

Ooh shiney! Nice, I guess I need some Brasso too.

#38 10 years ago
Quoted from AlexF:

Ooh shiney! Nice, I guess I need some Brasso too.

so easy its stupid alex... no mess at all... just a dab on a rag and a short scrub... turn rag, polish, done...

yet another useful thing that stashyboy has taught me...

#39 10 years ago

i guess the guy who worked on this machine before decided that the coil bracket would be a good place to store a little spare grease...

image-790.jpgimage-790.jpg

#40 10 years ago

he-he, probably had it on his finger when he was slathering it on, then figured a good place to get rid of it!
(thanks for the props man!)

Quoted from ccotenj:

i guess the guy who worked on this machine before decided that the coil bracket would be a good place to store a little spare grease...

image-790.jpg 117 KB

#41 10 years ago
Quoted from stashyboy:

he-he, probably had it on his finger when he was slathering it on, then figured a good place to get rid of it!
(thanks for the props man!)

judging from some of the wiring hacks on this machine, i'll consider myself lucky he didn't have his finger somewhere else at the time...

you are welcome...

#42 10 years ago

WOW! Great job with the clean CC. Looks like new again.

#43 10 years ago
Quoted from ccotenj:

i'll consider myself lucky he didn't have his finger somewhere else at the time...

Down south!

#44 10 years ago

I was looking at the before and after, what a big difference. Now, why did the bakalite disc change colour? Is this just a difference in the lighting of the shot?

#45 10 years ago

Brasso it is! Very nice!

#46 10 years ago
Quoted from Darcy:

I was looking at the before and after, what a big difference. Now, why did the bakalite disc change colour? Is this just a difference in the lighting of the shot?

just a difference in lighting darcy... the first pic is from when i was disassembling the mech so it was still shadowed by the head... the second pic is after the the disk and the coil were released from the mech (and the rest of the mech removed from the machine), so it's sticking out in the light more...

plus it is a bit cleaner, which gives the impression that it is lighter in color...

#47 10 years ago
Quoted from jodini:

Brasso it is! Very nice!

thanks...

yup, brasso method is definitely a winner... it's easier and cleaner... and thinking about it, much better for the rivets, since you aren't sanding part of them away like with the iso/sandpaper method...

note that it also will remove the black sharpie from the bakelite, so keep an eye on your alignment lines and fill them back in as they fade...

#48 10 years ago

no more spare grease...

image-243.jpgimage-243.jpg

image-664.jpgimage-664.jpg

#49 10 years ago

BEAUTIFUL job! I know you're glad you did it now. Once you get that back together it's gonna play sweet.

#50 10 years ago

Awesome job Chris.

Springs and wires still intact I hope.

Let me know if you need anything.

I still have that large schematic printout for you.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 456 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 10.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/im-almost-afraid-to-clean-this and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.