(Topic ID: 17315)

If doing a Doctor Who restore, how hard will it be to find parts?

By Doctor6

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 17 posts
  • 13 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by pkiefert
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Dr._Who_008.jpg
#1 11 years ago

Do they make repro parts for this? I cannot seem to find plastics or ramps. I am debating doing a restore (gotta find a nice beat up DW first), but not sure if this will be doable enough?

PS: anyone selling a beat DW?

#2 11 years ago

No ramps, not even from Wayne. Best way for a super version is to buy multiple machines.

#3 11 years ago

Very Hard... we had a hell of a time making one more in our warehouse go.. We got it done but it took me 3.5 months to find all of the needed mini playfield parts

#4 11 years ago

heck, you can buy fully working decent DW's for 1300'ish.

#5 11 years ago

I would love to own a DW, especially with the topper mod!

Anyway, I haven't used this place before, but they do sell some used stuff that I can't seem to find anywhere else. I was debating getting a different ramp for my RS, but decided to stick with the old one.

http://www.pinball.co

Usually, you have to page towards the end of their listing for the used stuff. I did check out DW, and they had ramps and some plastics . . . they're out of Australia.

#6 11 years ago
Quoted from RawleyD:

heck, you can buy fully working decent DW's for 1300'ish.

Easier said then done.

#7 11 years ago
Quoted from Doctor6:

RawleyD said:heck, you can buy fully working decent DW's for 1300'ish.
Easier said then done.

+1

#8 11 years ago

I could be talked out of mine for the right price. I love it, but I've played the crap out of it and the game room is getting full. It has the wobble head kit, LED'ed backbox and inserts and all the cliffys. Cab is faded. Playfield is ok, except where some moron drilled holes ahead of the outlane dividers to install bumper posts that weren't supposed to be there. I removed them and filled the holes with quickwood. Many new parts, including new Time Expander motor/gearbox, coin door and new opto boards. I'll be in Madison, Wisconsin in a few weeks.

#9 11 years ago
Quoted from GoneFishinLvMsg:

Playfield is ok, except where some moron drilled holes ahead of the outlane dividers to install bumper posts that weren't supposed to be there. I removed them and filled the holes with quickwood.

Question on the quickwood:
My DW has playfield damage where the three bottom targets of the time expander are (this is from shots that make it into the targets when you lose multiball and the time expander is going back down - some shots get jammed, hence the damage). Would quickwood work on those areas or is it really better for holes? I know...I should have bought the Cliffy's...I'm ordering them now.

#10 11 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

My DW has playfield damage where the three bottom targets of the time expander are (this is from shots that make it into the targets when you lose multiball and the time expander is going back down - some shots get jammed, hence the damage). Would quickwood work on those areas or is it really better for holes? I know...I should have bought the Cliffy's...I'm ordering them now.

I've never seen a DW that didn't have wear in that spot. Fill with quickwood and cover it with a cliffy. Good to see you are ordering them. Make sure you get the whole set. DW is one pin where cliffys are an absolute necessity.

#11 11 years ago

I'm was also/still casually looking for a DW. Saw that one in MI. but was holding out for one w/ no playfield wear...

So just to reiterate... there is no repro ramps and plastics and side decals available?

1 week later
#12 11 years ago

Pinball Inc. says they have the original tooling for the Dr. Who ramps just no ETA on when they would be produced. Outside of the ramps Marco has a huge selection of Dr. Who parts.

#13 11 years ago

I could use a spare set of ramps....

#14 11 years ago
Quoted from rgb635:

Pinball Inc. says they have the original tooling for the Dr. Who ramps just no ETA on when they would be produced. Outside of the ramps Marco has a huge selection of Dr. Who parts.

The way pins are climbing in price, it may happen sometime in the near future. Previously, I don't think he saw it as likely that people would spend $200-$400 on ramps for games such as this, JD, DM etc, that were $1200-$1,500 machines.

That is now changing, and people are more willing to buy them now I think.

#15 11 years ago

So, I found a good DW to restore, and already have the entire playfield done. It is a beautiful restored and clear coated pf. The only part on the playfield side of things that I will never find is the time expander plastic cover. So, after seeing someone's solution on rgp to cover the top of the stand up target (the part that gets beat to hell the most, I decided to make this:

http://mmg.photobucket.com/albumview/albums/yoshitora7/20120610160900.jpg.html?o=0&newest=1

I figured since so much stainless steel was there already, what's one more piece?

#16 11 years ago

Easier said then done.

I had one unshopped with minimal fade and a jamming MPF, posted it on RGP for 15 hundred and it was gone in 1/2 hour.

Few GS parts available for this title, it was a buyback and I sold it cheap to get it out of my way.
Good luck finding a working one for 13.

Dr._Who_008.jpgDr._Who_008.jpg

#17 11 years ago

James from Pinball Inc was over at a friends recently and he was bugging him about Doctor Who Ramps.

He didn't commit to anything but was going to check to see if he had the original molds for them or not.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 30.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

3,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Johnson City, TN
Machine - For Sale
Bartlett, IL
$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

£ 110.00
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 109.95
Electronics
PinSound

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

3,700 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Ronkonkoma, NY
Boards
Slap Save Creations

$ 69.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 649.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

$ 29.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
Boards
KAHR.US Circuits

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/if-doing-a-doctor-who-restore-how-hard-will-it-be-to-find-parts and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.