(Topic ID: 13465)

I love the smell of PINBALL in the morning!

By Drano

12 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 19 posts
  • 17 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 12 years ago by Honch
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

sir_spicoli.jpg
    #1 12 years ago

Okay, I'm convinced I'm sick.

Does anyone else get excited by that old pinball smell? Is it just me?
    I've got a small 12'x12' clean-room set up at work adjacent to our shop where I restore the occaisional pin in my free time. I have a WH2O in there right now. Every time I walk into the room I get hit with that indescribable pinball scent. It's a sort of musty, mechanical, smokey wood scent... I can't really describe it. All I know is that it must be one of the best smells in the world. Reminds me of old arcades and pool halls or something.

Last night I had a similar reaction to some Novus 2 and Mothers carnauba wax while cleaning up my IJ

Anyone else suffer from this affliction?

#2 12 years ago

Oh man, smell is the strongest trigger of memories I have experienced.

I walked into a cobbler's shop a few years ago and got hit with that leathery, tannery smell. It sent me back 40-45 years to a shoe repair shop I used to stop into on way home from elementary school to talk to its owner Ike. Until that day I had never thought of Ike and the shoe shop, ever. What a nice man he was!

#3 12 years ago

crazy how that works huh?

#4 12 years ago

Yeah I love the smell of an old pinball, but I really love the smell of an outdoor rock concert

#5 12 years ago

I clear coated my Firepower playfield and it has masked some of that pinball smell. I hope it comes back as that clearcoat continues to cure.

#6 12 years ago

Smells like....Victory

#7 12 years ago

For me, that's the best part of walking into the basement. Aaaahhhh....

#8 12 years ago

Agreed, doing laundry and playing pinball at the same time makes me volunteer to do the "chores" in my household. My GF just loves how helpful I've become since getting my first pin!

#9 12 years ago
    Quoted from Anim8ormatt:

I clear coated my Firepower playfield and it has masked some of that pinball smell. I hope it comes back as that clearcoat continues to cure.

Yeah, any machine I've restored tends to lose it. That could be good or bad depending on your preference.

#10 12 years ago

I don't know man.....walk into my game room the morning after a get together and it smells......

Like stinky man ass , and beer, when hung over the smell quickly makes me sick

#11 12 years ago

i really like the smell of carnauba wax. my wife hates it.

#12 12 years ago

Yep. There is nothing quite like the smell of a routed pin. When I have all my games fired up, the whole gameroom starts to smell like it as convection causes the aroma to get pumped out of the vent holes.

#13 12 years ago

Yes, it smells like carbon dust and dirt. I definitely know what you guys mean.

#14 12 years ago

man my WW smelled like old bowling alley...still does inside...

#15 12 years ago
    Quoted from ovfdfireman:

Like stinky man ass

Isn't this the only kind of man-ass?

#16 12 years ago
    Quoted from dlbuller:

i really like the smell of carnauba wax.

When I can't smell the carnauba from the two pins in my office, I know its time for another coat or two.

#17 12 years ago

Duude, pinballs smell? Funny, I never noticed but thats totally awesome. cough, cough, cough

sir_spicoli.jpgsir_spicoli.jpg

#18 12 years ago
    Quoted from dlbuller:

i really like the smell of carnauba wax. my wife hates it.

I like that smeel too! I hate the smell of Wildcat rubber cleaner though.

#19 12 years ago
    Quoted from dlbuller:

i really like the smell of carnauba wax.

I've always like it too. I think it's just because it makes me think of my pins.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/i-love-the-smell-of-pinball-in-the-morning and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.