IMG_1523.JPG
IMG_1522.JPG
IMG_1521-795.JPG
IMG_1520.JPG
IMG_1519.jpg
IMG_1518-127.jpg
IMG_1517.jpg
#1 10 years ago

A few different solutions have been posted in the last year on how to fix Hulk ball hang ups. This mod won't stop 100% of ball hang ups but it's reduced mine by 90% and is the easiest fix in my opinion. Others have noted that raising Hulks arms has helped and that's what I did. Here's how:

Here is the easiest Hulk fix I'm aware of to raise Hulks arms about a 1/4 inch and stop 90% of ball hang ups.

1. (optional) Remove Hulks arms (1 screw on each arm) to get some space to remove Hulk screws. Pull the arms off after removing the screws.

IMG_1526.jpgIMG_1526.jpg

2. Remove 1 screw (visible) on each side of Hulk on his waist. These were slightly tricky to access. Need an appropriate screw driver.

3. Pull Hulk off. Pull firmly straight forward and up slightly. Use some force. You are literally pulling the screws out of the back of Hulk. Don't worry (read on). Back out screws that were holding the back of Hulk in place and remove them. You don't need them.

IMG_1519.jpgIMG_1519.jpgIMG_1517.jpgIMG_1517.jpg

4. Slide one arm back one (no need to secure with a screw yet).

5. Lift arm to create gap between armature and black pad backstop and apply self sticking silicone pad to existing black pad (type of pad utilized is like a self-sticking cabinet door silicone rubber pad that cushions the door closing -- see picture; readily available at Home Depot, Amazon, etc.). You may want to use a needle nose to position the self sticking pad. After applying the pad, push the Hulk arm down to apply some reasonable pressure to ensure the self sticking pad is secure. This pad has the affect of permanently increasing the resting height of Hulks arms.

IMG_1523.JPGIMG_1523.JPGIMG_1539.jpgIMG_1539.jpg

6. Apply industrial strength velcro to the frame (see pic). Push Hulk into place using the velcro to secure his body. You no longer need any of the screws that hold his body in place. Make sure you use "industrial strength" velcro. Hulks not going anywhere.

IMG_1520.JPGIMG_1520.JPG

7. Slide both arms all the way back on and secure with screws.

8. Done.

If it takes longer than 5 minutes, you did something wrong. If the sticky silicone pad you used is too thick or too thin, pull Hulk off (he's attached with Velcro now). You can use a needle nose to remove your pad and try a thicker or thinner one to change the arm height.

IMG_1518-127.jpgIMG_1518-127.jpg
IMG_1521-795.JPGIMG_1521-795.JPG
IMG_1522.JPGIMG_1522.JPG
IMG_1524.JPGIMG_1524.JPG
IMG_1525-243.JPGIMG_1525-243.JPG
IMG_1538-215.jpgIMG_1538-215.jpg
IMG_1540.jpgIMG_1540.jpg

#2 10 years ago

Just wanted to mention that if anything was unclear about this and you want to learn more or try this fix, feel free to PM me. Thanks.

Also, maybe this post belongs under Tech instead of mod. If a moderator reads this, you can decide. Thanks.

6 months later
#3 9 years ago

Thanks for the tip. My Hulk was grabbing 2-10 or so balls per game, depending on how well I did.

I implemented your mod that was shown clearly here. It cleared up sticks from his right hand, but his left hand still grabs the occasional ball. Overall, much better than it was.

While I was in there, I took a green marker to his "armpit" adapter plates & to the screw heads in his shoulders--far from a perfect match with his green skin, but better than shiny metal.

Thanks,
-Jason

2 years later
#4 7 years ago

ok, old post, but surelly need some more infos...

first of all, your idea is nice & logical
but you should have missed something, as no need to remove arms & hulk body

well than, the plate behind the hulk back (the one you have tweaked) its just there for the same purpose, you just have to unscrew the 4 (2+2) screws and move the plate up/down to setup arms, may be just doing this will be OK for some of us...

well, lets now admit even on the lower position, it didnt raise enough hulk arms
than remove completly the 4 screws, the hulk toy will stay in place, and now you could remove this back plate easily, and tweak/work it as you want

#5 7 years ago

also noticed (on my PRO, plastic is not the same on PREM/LE) that the green plastic behind hulk is sometime "moving" when hulk is activated, and for sure, this could break a day or another...

just seen that this is caused by the white spacer of the coil/spring, its just a matter of millimeters
easy tweak would be to swap that spacer with a smaller one, or just lime a bit the plastic right at that place, should be OK after that

#6 7 years ago

edit

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 29.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
arcade-cabinets.com

5,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Allentown, PA
$ 115.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 26.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

€ 48.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Kami's Pinball Parts

$ 29.99
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PR Mods

$ 64.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 135.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 27.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 79.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 79.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Arcade Upkeep

$ 255.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Haus

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hulk-avengers-ball-hang-up-fix and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.