How to quieten a Stern?

Started 2 years ago by pinballslave in forum All PinballAll Pinball.

Forum » All Pinball » Topic

How to quieten a Stern?

Topic summary

• Started 2 years ago by pinballslave
  • 10 Pinsiders participating in this thread.
  • Latest reply from Leigh

Tilts/ ignores / abuse

Sharing and favs

Games linked to topic

Help us build a pinball game knowledge base by linking topics to the games discussed in them!

2 years, 6 months ago
    #

I'm in the unfortunate situation of the only pin I can have set up being in the front room of the smallish flat I'm in at the moment, and noise from the machine is not appreciated by the other members of my family... I'm not a massive fan of it either to be honest... The game is Tron, and it's pretty noisey, especially from the flippers (more than the WH2O that was set up before). I've already had to disable the disk to reduce the noise my better half makes when she's trying to listen to the news as I have a few games!! This noise is worse than the disk itself, so by disabling the disk I eliminate two noises!! I've thought about taking the disk out and having it High Speed balanced, that would sort it...

Anyway, I'm thinking of how I can quieten the mechanisms, since they're quite clunky!! One way (possibly) is to carpet line the inside of the cab... Another is to put small plastic/rubber/PTFE disks on the end of each coil end-stop (PTFE is probably best). Just wondering if anyone has tried either of these with any success?? I'd prefer to quieten the end stops than use the carpet idea...

Any other tips? Apart from get a bigger house and have a dedicated pinball room

Thanks for any advice!

2 years, 6 months ago
    #
    pinballslave said:

One way (possibly) is to carpet line the inside of the cab...

This sounds like it would be a fire hazard to me. The only thing I can really think of would be to use slightly thicker playfield glass.

pinballslave said:

I've already had to disable the disk ...

That sucks! The disk is one of the things that makes Tron so much fun to play.

2 years, 6 months ago
    #
    gweempose said:

I've already had to disable the disk ...

Ya that's no fun, that's the best part of the game pretty much.

My advice is to get the wife headphones or ear plugs...

2 years, 6 months ago
    #
    tomdotcom said:

+1

... or a new wife. You have to have your priorities!

2 years, 6 months ago
    #

I guess you will just have to give it to me. I will even drive over several countries to get there if that helps?

2 years, 6 months ago
    #

If you plan on staying married you may wanna find a different hobby. Pretty much all pinball machines make a decent amount of noise. I'd just play it when she wasn't around and turn everything on. Disabling things on a working pin makes the gameplay less enjoyable.

2 years, 6 months ago
    #

Pretty much my thought as well.
    You can get her those crappy "T.V. Ears"...
    Just look at how happy this lady is!

See? Problem solved!

The disc can be quieted down with a light oil. If that doesn't help, Stern will send you a new one.

Now connect the disc back up, install the FF kit and CRANK it!

2 years, 6 months ago
    #
    pinballslave said:

I'm not a massive fan of it either to be honest... The game is Tron

Get rid of it . Or put it in the local store near you , and Crank it up. Make a Lil-$$ .

2 years, 6 months ago
    #
    NimblePin said:

That's a thought... it would prbably make her more mad though come to think of it...

gweempose said:

or a new wife. You have to have your priorities!

Another good idea...

BLACK_ROSE said:

Or put it in the local store near you , and Crank it up. Make a Lil-$$ .

Now that's a good idea!! I don't mind paying to play, I'd get 50% back anyway and show the locals how to do it so they'll get hooked and put all their disposable income into it

2 years, 6 months ago
    #

Get your wife a gym membership! Then when she's at the gym fire it up and get a few games.

Its a win win situation in my book, sometimes you just have to modify the environment not the things within it.

2 years, 6 months ago
    #
    fusion301 said:

Get your wife a gym membership!

Mmmm, or the local swimmimg pool... or introduce her to more mates in the hope that one of 'em takes her home for the night and get a whole night of playing at someone elses expense!

2 years, 6 months ago
    #
    NimblePin said:

Just look at how happy this lady is!

I like that one!

2 years, 6 months ago
    #

You need to build that house and games room quick!

2 years, 6 months ago
    #
    emo said:

You need to build that house and games room quick!

You got that one right!

2 years, 6 months ago
    #

Thats what I just had to do - still working on it, basically a two car garage converted - still have to put the bar area in and the tv etc but most of the games are finally in there. Dont forget to build yourself a little work area

2 years, 6 months ago
    #

Nice pad... is the Airborne Avenger working by the way? If so, is it fun to play?

2 years, 6 months ago
    #

I really like that little tech area, fusion!

2 years, 6 months ago
    #

Yeh airborne avenger is fully working - its a nice change from the other games, but its not a great playing game, these Atari widebodys are a bit slow, but it is steve ritchies first game and the price was right $150

Thanks yeh I spent a lot of time trying to figure out how to make my work space big enough but also have it like a closet so when the doors are closed you cant really tell. I think the final dimensions were 8.5 feet x 5.5 deep and all the way to the ceiling so in the pict you only see one side - I have another bench the other way that I do soldering on - so one dirty bench one clean bench

Leigh

Pinball addict
    1,371,600 5
    2 years, 6 months ago
    #

Great room, i have followed its progress from the start and thats the first i have seen of the finished model, damn nice

Wanna join the discussion? Sign up for a Pinside account, or sign in if you already have one.

© 2001-2014 Pinside.com All rights reserved. Jump to topRSS feedsHelpContactCookiesDesigned by Keeple