How the heck do I remove this?

Started 1 year ago by Spraynard in forum TechTech: Generic.

Forum » Tech » Tech: Generic » Topic

How the heck do I remove this?

Topic summary

• Started 1 year ago by Spraynard
  • 9 Pinsiders participating in this thread.
  • Latest reply from ChrisHibler

Tilts/ ignores / abuse

Sharing and favs

Games linked to topic

Help us build a pinball game knowledge base by linking topics to the games discussed in them!

1 year, 10 months ago
    #

I'm trying to install a cliffy protector on my BSD rat hole, but I've hit a wall. The posts that flank the hole, which also will hold the cliffy, seem to be impossible to remove! Under the playfield there is a nut, which I removed. The playfield side of the post is totally round, nothing to grab on to. It seems to be threaded through the playfield, and very tightly so. I've tried squeezing it with a wrench and turning, but progress is extremely slow, plus I'm just thrashing the post (rubber goes over it, so I don't really care about that). Is there some trick for removing these that I don't know about? Here's a picture... http://i.imgur.com/MiJcb.jpg

1 year, 10 months ago
    #

Easy, this type is pressed in. Lightly tap it out from the bottom with a hammer. Have your hand on the playfield side to catch it.

1 year, 10 months ago
    #

You need the wrench called "Vice-Grip".

Lock it down vertically. Gently spin while pulling. Don't pull too hard or you will rip out a big chunk of top wood when reach the end.

Once the threads get to the wood, it will start coming out easily as it turns.

1 year, 10 months ago
    #

If you are going to use a hammer, make sure you leave the nut spun down to the end of the threads. Otherwise the hammer can mess the threads up.

1 year, 10 months ago
    #

I never had a problem damaging the threads, but I guess it could happen. Anyway the nut on the end will keep it from flying into the cabinet if you miss the catch. Win/win.

1 year, 10 months ago
    #
    SealClubber said:

I never had a problem damaging the threads, but I guess it could happen. Anyway the nut on the end will keep it from flying into the cabinet if you miss the catch. Win/win.

A Mechanic would have a brass hammer or a brass punch to dislodge bolts from the threaded side.

Mere mortals back the nut out to the ends of the threads, LOL.

1 year, 10 months ago
    #
    vid1900 said:

SealClubber said:I never had a problem damaging the threads, but I guess it could happen. Anyway the nut on the end will keep it from flying into the cabinet if you miss the catch. Win/win.
    A Mechanic would have a brass hammer or a brass punch to dislodge bolts from the threaded side.
    Mere mortals back the nut out to the ends of the threads, LOL.

Silly Mortals

1 year, 10 months ago
    #

Lol, I just love fixing things with hammers. Don't know why. Whacka Whacka Whacka!

1 year, 10 months ago
    #

Although I must also admit I love fixing things with a hammer, if it's threaded there are a couple of choices. Wrap the post with electrician's tape, at lest three layers thick and then use vice grips or channel locks. You may have to replace the electrical tape once or twice as it gets torn up.

Sears sells a product called Robo Grips which, at least used to, include plastic sleeves you could place over the teeth to prevent marring.

1 year, 10 months ago
    #

Video instruction for a patented hole guard:

» YouTube video

1 year, 10 months ago
    #

Hammers ? Take your cordless drill and chuck the post into the drill chuck and simply spin out .. Looks like you need to take off the wire form first .

Jim

1 year, 10 months ago
    #

I've always done the hammer method myself.

1 year, 10 months ago
    #

Hammer method worked a charm. I don't know why I thought they were threaded through the pf. Better safe then sorry.

1 year, 10 months ago
    #
    McCune said:

Hammers ? Take your cordless drill and chuck the post into the drill chuck and simply spin out .. Looks like you need to take off the wire form first .
    Jim

Ditto. Works perfectly. No damage.
    --
    Chris Hibler - CARGPB #31
    http://www.Team-EM.com
    http://webpages.charter.net/chibler/Pinball.htm
    http://www.PinWiki.com - The new place for pinball repair info

Wanna join the discussion? Sign up for a Pinside account, or sign in if you already have one.

© 2001-2014 Pinside.com All rights reserved. Jump to topRSS feedsHelpContactCookiesDesigned by Keeple