(Topic ID: 15645)

How much gameroom lighting do you play with?

By herg

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 31 posts
  • 27 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by MrWizzo
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

theimportanceofproperbacklighting.jpg
    #1 11 years ago

I was playing AFM in a pitch dark room last night, and it was a blast. TOTAN in the same amount of light, however, is pretty much unplayable. This got me wondering what others do.

#2 11 years ago

I prefer the dark. Sometimes by the light of the arcade games if people are playing those.

#3 11 years ago

I have dimmers set up so I adjust it to be darker but not to dark that you lose the ball on some games, needs to be good balance - and no glare

#4 11 years ago

If I turn on the aquarium and all the machines, it is plenty bright for gamplay.

#5 11 years ago

I have 6x 60W floods in recessed lighting on a dimmer, and I normally run them about halfway, but AFM last night made me reconsider. Strobe Multiball in my normal lighting sucks.

#6 11 years ago

I just took out all of my regular bulbs in my ceiling cans and replaced them with colored CFLs. Red and Blue in different spots. Its awesome, Not too dark but good accent lighting for the games.

#7 11 years ago

We have a sliding dimmer and I like it about 25%. The wife prefers brighter.

#8 11 years ago

I have sconce lights on the wall on a dimmer. If all machines are on then I don't even use the lights. If I have just one machine on, I'll put the wall lights at a slow dim.

#9 11 years ago

I have no lights in my game room, other than the light provided by pinball machines. AFM strobe multiball is a hoot in a dark room.

#10 11 years ago

10 pins turned on is more than enough light to play for me (especially with all the lighted toppers)

#11 11 years ago

Pinball light only. That and my PC screensaver before power save mode shuts the monitor off.

#12 11 years ago

Depends on the game and how well it's GI lighting shows the playfield art. Generally I prefer it on the darker side, but not lights-out. Most of my pins have well-balanced lighting where all I need is some low perimeter lighting in the room.

#13 11 years ago

I have a rope light that runs along the top of the walls at the ceiling. It goes all around the room.

Good for playing, but not nearly enough for maintenance...but I get by with a trouble light.

Robert

#14 11 years ago

All my games are processed to be played in the dark. First, everything is led. Then I add 4-5 spotlights to brighten up the playfield. In many cases, the spots need a constant source as the game programming flashes or turns off GI (totan for example). In reality, pinball was not designed to be played in the dark. When I'm done, it is.

#15 11 years ago

Very little light for me as well.
    4- 60w cans in the center of the room also on a dimmer about 25%

#16 11 years ago

Hey Herg. How have you been? When I visited I thought the brightness was fine at your place.
    I like the games to be mostly in a non-directly lit area with background light from other parts of the room. That way the lights of the machine are more impressive. It seems a little more exciting when the pinball lights flashing is the main source of light.

#17 11 years ago
    Quoted from DCFAN:

Hey Herg. How have you been? When I visited I thought the brightness was fine at your place.
    I like the games to be mostly in a non-directly lit area with background light from other parts of the room. That way the lights of the machine are more impressive. It seems a little more exciting when the pinball lights flashing is the main source of light.

Doing well, thanks for asking. When you were here, I had things lit up a bit more than usual since there were kids and non-pin folk running about. Until now, just dimming worked well, and I don't have any glare issues.

Since you were here, I have sorted out the AFM lighting issues, and realize it plays better in the dark. It's plenty bright to see when you're supposed to, and the difference in Strobe Multiball in the dark vs light is like night and day.

#18 11 years ago
    Quoted from herg:

I was playing AFM in a pitch dark room last night, and it was a blast. TOTAN in the same amount of light, however, is pretty much unplayable. This got me wondering what others do.

Interesting that you specifically mention AFM, which is one of the few games I have a hard time playing with all the lights off. Are you using LEDs in the GI?

#19 11 years ago

Typically with one of my kitchen lights on to provide some side lighting without glare. I have a fixture that hovers directly over my BK2K, but if I turn it on it's glare city.

My BK2K doesn't really like the dark, the yellow/orange/red backglass produces too much glare with the Cointaker cool supers. Might swap those out for softer warms someday. However, my Getaway with Cointakers can be played in pitch black

#20 11 years ago
    Quoted from Legacy:

Are you using LEDs in the GI?

Nope, the only LEDs are under the blue inserts.

#21 11 years ago

Oh yeah, I also swapped 47s in for the 44s.

#22 11 years ago

I prefer some lighting but not pitch black.

#23 11 years ago
    Quoted from GoneFishinLvMsg:

I have no lights in my game room, other than the light provided by pinball machines. AFM strobe multiball is a hoot in a dark room.

That's what I do. If it's just me, the only thing on is the pin I'm playing.

#24 11 years ago

I like playing in the dark too!

#25 11 years ago

Whatever the pins, neon signs, and the hdtv put out is more than enough.

#26 11 years ago

I have some neons too, and a few lit up beer signs that add ambient lighting and give that "arcade" feel. I love it when everything is fired up with the lights off and music pumpin'

#27 11 years ago

I prefer the lights to be behind me and slightly above. Its great for those late night wall-shadow- air-guitar-karate-kick-jam sessions. Heres Rick laying it on the line to destroy the ring.

theimportanceofproperbacklighting.jpgtheimportanceofproperbacklighting.jpg

#28 11 years ago

Since I put my neon sign up that's all I need, pretty much the perfect amount of ambient light from the other side of the room.

#29 11 years ago

Low lighting usually.

I love to play AFM in the dark so I can get strobe multiball the way it was meant to be played.

#30 11 years ago

usually a my beer light, the tv, and maybe another pin and im good to go. like it dark.

#31 11 years ago

My pins run 4 each along opposing walls in a space that is pretty much a square. In the center of each quadrant is a recessed light. All are attached by a dimmer. I added a a socket into each fixture with a pull chain switch. I tend to turn off the two lights along the wall I am playing so the light comes from behind the player and does not shine right on the glass.

Dan

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-much-gameroom-lighting-do-you-play-with and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.