Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 33 posts
  • 29 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 12 years ago by emo
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“How many balls do you play with?”

• 2 0 votes
    • 3 29 votes
      56%
    • 4 2 votes
      4%
    • 5 10 votes
      19%
    • Depends on the game. 11 votes
      21%

(52 votes)

#1 12 years ago

I use 4 on most games unless they are easy then I use just 3.

How many balls do you play with?

#2 12 years ago

I have all mine set to 3 balls, apart from the ones that the kids play more often, T2, No Fear and Evel, i have set them on five balls and made them as easy as possible, so the little ones want to keep playing.

#3 12 years ago

We set all of ours to 3 balls.But we also set up the play so that multiple extra balls are available if you can earn 'em.

#4 12 years ago

I keep them factory with three balls and the replay is still an extra game.

TILTed post. Sign in to be able to view TILTed posts.
    #6 12 years ago

All my machines are set to 3-balls and no buy-in.

#7 12 years ago

I really don't like playing games set for more than the standard three balls. All the newer games @ the PHOF were set to 5 ball games and its really excruciating dragging out a bad run, or vice versa, having your good games last forever. Then if you earned the replay you really don't want to play it and get that involved again. 3 balls for me, and the option to earn extra balls. Keeps the challenge high.

#8 12 years ago

Mine to 5 balls,
    The Wife and my 2 boy's, 5 and 7 have more playtime,

Me I set to 3 balls

Cheers

#9 12 years ago

Try to set to 3 as that is the gold standard and competition setting. That said, I am not at competitive playing level so will tweak if necessary. FT is currently 5 as there are lots of SDTM's.....but would like to reduce to 3 eventually.

#10 12 years ago

I only play with 2 balls, as this is all the good lord gave me I'd hate to think how many kids I'd have if I had 5 balls! Hell' I wouldn't even know where to buy my pants!!!! As for pinball, I set them to 5. Just more play-time! If I were charging customers to play, I'm sure I'd set them to 3!!!

#11 12 years ago

Factory rules all the way man!

#12 12 years ago

3 balls, factory setting. Sometimes I'll adjust drain save but thats about it.

#13 12 years ago

I have mine set to 3. 5 for TZ.

#14 12 years ago

I have the SS games on three balls and the Em'S on 5 balls like they were on route.

#15 12 years ago

I'm old enough to remember when the standard was 5 balls. When they started to switch to 3 balls PLUS charging $0.50 instead of $.0.25 - well I thought that was highway robbery. So I'm old-school and play with 5. I'm also unusual in that I don't have my games on free play - it costs $0.25 to play. ...but I always keep a stack of quarters close by.

#16 12 years ago

All mine are set to 3 ball.factory settings.

#17 12 years ago

I also go with 3 which is the factory setting.

#18 12 years ago
    Quoted from SunKing:

I'm also unusual in that I don't have my games on free play - it costs $0.25 to play. ...but I always keep a stack of quarters close by.

Wow, you are pretty trusting when guests come over.

#19 12 years ago
    Quoted from SunKing:

I'm old enough to remember when the standard was 5 balls. When they started to switch to 3 balls PLUS charging $0.50 instead of $.0.25 - well I thought that was highway robbery. So I'm old-school and play with 5. I'm also unusual in that I don't have my games on free play - it costs $0.25 to play. ...but I always keep a stack of quarters close by.

In 1976 I was a teenager and we would go to the bowling alley and play pinball,this pin AZTEC we played forever, put in a quarter and it gave you 4 games instead of 3, at 5 balls a piece as were all other pins in my area at the time.

#20 12 years ago
    Quoted from gweempose:

Wow, you are pretty trusting when guests come over.

LOL Yeah, for the most part I trust my guests. ...but you have to keep an eye on the kids - well not my kids (I have a 6 year old son and 10 year old daughter)...but... there was one time when we had about ten kids over to the house - all under the age of 10. All of the adults went to an afternoon party, and the baby sitter stayed with the kids. The only two rules I had were (1) no pinball until the adults get back and (2) stay out of my office. When the adults returned, everyone was DYING to play - and we all had a blast. Towards the end of the night I realized the box full of quarters wasn't full anymore. In fact, it was just about empty...and there's no way we played that many games. ...I'm sure some kid walked out with heavy pockets.

Buy hey, if it costs me a few extra quarters to expose kids to pinball - it's worth it to me. One of my daughters friends actualy had no idea what a pinball machine was. ....heresy.

#21 12 years ago

hi,

3 balls on my games, except 5 for Spectrum ! ! !

#22 12 years ago

My games are all on 3 balls. Most of the time my games are on coin play. I like it because that's the way it was in the real world. I like it because some people don't respect a machine that gives itself away free. For a fund raiser people ask me what can I bring? I say bring a bag of quarters. OK, if it's soldiers or friends from Pinside everything's on "free play".

#23 12 years ago
    Quoted from Loupie:

I say bring a bag of quarters. OK, if it's soldiers or friends from Pinside everything's on "free play".

Loupie, I like your attitude!

#24 12 years ago

Three baller here.

#25 12 years ago

Does not matter to me as long as my sexy wife or "substitute" is cuddling behind playing with two.

#26 12 years ago

I voted 5 (mainly for the others that play the games), but I didn't see the "Depend's on games" option. My BK 5 balls for sure. The others, I would play 3 balls, but every one else feels ripped off if I don't keep them at 5.

G

#27 12 years ago
    Quoted from guymontag451:

its really excruciating dragging out a bad run, or vice versa, having your good games last forever. Then if you earned the replay you really don't want to play it and get that involved again. 3 balls for me, and the option to earn extra balls. Keeps the challenge high.

For me,It's gotta be three, for the same reasons as above.

#28 12 years ago

I have all mine on three balls....free play, replay awards extra ball.

#29 12 years ago

Three!
    Just like what GOD gave me...

#30 12 years ago

On my spider man..I'll usually have a 1 ball tournament set up...evens things up a bit.

#31 12 years ago

My modern machines are set to 3 ball, with the exception of TSPP which is on 5 ball as it tends to drain. Extra balls earned on the replay score levels to reward good play. Playfield Specials set to sound the knocker rather than award extra balls. Machines are set on free play and to factory settings with standard playfield inclines.

My older SS Ballys are both set to 5 ball as that was how they were in the arcades.

#32 12 years ago

I had them on 5 for a while but just put them to three to see how I can do on three. I also have a bunch of family coming and it will keep play times down so poeple will be forced to rotate games.

#33 12 years ago

3 on newer games but normally 5 on EM's as the fall tends to drain quicker-especially on the ones with small flippers

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-many-balls-do-you-play-with and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.