(Topic ID: 19208)

Ultra-thin mirror blades *UPDATE 11/01* new "mini" batch for sale; black & gold

By Drano

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Gameroom_GRG_007.JPG
    lotr4.JPG
    lotr3.JPG
    lotr2.JPG
    lotr.JPG
    IMG_1630.JPG
    IMG_1623.JPG
    IMG_1621.JPG
    IMG_8772.JPG
    IMG_0762.jpg
    IMG_0759.jpg
    IMG_0758.jpg
    IMG_0757.jpg
    IMG_7130.jpg
    IMG_7125.jpg
    IMG_7124.jpg
    There are 348 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 7.
    #1 11 years ago

If any of you followed my WH2O restoration thread you may have seen this little side project.
    I got a hold of some reflective material and tested it out on our CNC at work and "voila!" instant mirror blades!

Okay, so it wasn't that easy, but I made a handfull of my own mirror blades in chrome, black and gold (only Bally Williams sizes for now). I made these for my games, and for a few local collectors, but I have a few left over if anyone is interested.

I'll let the chrome go for $100 and the black or gold for $150. Shipping is extra and since I'm in Canada, it will be a bit more for you guys in the US. I just shipped a set to Florida and it was $40. However, multiple sets can ship for the same price, so the savings are still there.

These are thinner/lighter than the ones currently out there so they have to be handled very carefully, but they also give you a hair more space and are less expensive to produce.
    The gold and chrome seem to have the most reflection while the black is more subtle. See pics below.

Right now I only have 4 sets left in black and 3 in gold. I do have 1 set in chrome, but the left blade has a blemish about half-way up. For anyone with a game that has an obstruction on the left side of the playfield (like the return ramp on TAF, catapult wireform on MM or TZ's powerfield) this will likely hide the blemish. I can let that one go for $50 if anyone wants it.

I do not have any Stern at this moment, but I'm taking some measurements off my Tron and might make a small run next month.

Shoot me a PM if you're interested.

MirrorBlades_01.jpgMirrorBlades_01.jpg MirrorBlades_03.jpgMirrorBlades_03.jpg photo_1.JPGphoto_1.JPG photo_2.JPGphoto_2.JPG photo_3.JPGphoto_3.JPG

#2 11 years ago

I am looking for a Stern set for acdc.

#3 11 years ago
    Quoted from Av8:

I am looking for a Stern set for acdc.

I havent made any Stern blades yet, but if people can give me a sense of which color they'd want, that will help me determine how much material to order. I'll make some Stern once these are all gone. Likely sometime in July.

#4 11 years ago

Be interested in Stern sized chrome blades. Gotta have blades on X-Men Wolverine LE right?

#5 11 years ago
    Quoted from jarozi:

Be interested in Stern sized chrome blades. Gotta have blades on X-Men Wolverine LE right?

For sure!
    If I get one it's gonna have full chrome trim too.

#6 11 years ago
    Quoted from Drano:

Okay, so it wasn't that easy, but I made a handfull of my own mirror blades in chrome, black and gold (only Bally Williams sizes for now).

So glad to see someone finally do this and offer them at a reasonable price. Also glad they are thinner and lighter than the ones out there now.

#7 11 years ago

I'm interested in the chrome blem. set. Do you have pics?

Thanks

#8 11 years ago

I'd buy 3 sets of stern mirror blades. Chrome is awesome, would be interested to see blue and red as well.

#9 11 years ago

I would buy 2 Stern chrome & 1 Stern gold.

For reals

#10 11 years ago
    Quoted from copperpot:

I'd buy 3 sets of stern mirror blades. Chrome is awesome, would be interested to see blue and red as well.

I can do this, but they would not be very reflective... more of an anodized brushed look. Not quite the same, but they would still look hot in games like SM or IM.

#11 11 years ago

Here's a close-up shot of the set with a blemished left side. The part is dusty, but otherwise perfect.
    The blemish is a few dimples about halfway up the playfield on the left side. Depending on what game this goes into, it may or may not be an issue.

It's a terrible shot. I tried to use the reflection to show the blemish. In person you can barely tell its there.

photo_1.JPGphoto_1.JPG

#13 11 years ago

Sorry to sound thick, but is your material metal, or plastic?

Also curious how easily the reflective surface can be scratched (have never owned any kind of mirror blades at all so no idea what to expect.)

thanks!

#14 11 years ago

What size bit are you cutting those with? 1/4"?

#15 11 years ago

Don't worry, you don't sound thick
    When I first saw these the whole concept seemed odd.

It's metal... just a thinner gauge than the other ones I've seen. This allows me to cut them in a CNC with a special bit and avoid expensive laser cutting.
    The surface of any mirror blade can scratch if you're not careful. I highly recommend picking up some 3/4" adhesive felt strips like the ones sold on pinrestore.com by the roll and applying this to the side edges of your playfield. This is a good practice whether you have mirror blades or not.
    You'll also want to be careful of any other structures that are cose to the edge, like a mini playfield for example.
    When servicing the game, I like to slide large pieces of paper in between the playfield and the cabinet (tabloid size or larger, like a newspaper) and tape it to the siderails. This will let you swing the PF up and down without having to worry too much about damage. Just keep a few sheets rolled up nearby. It's good insurance and the clean polished look you get is worth it. I especially like the look on certain games like gold blades on IJ, MM, TOM, TOTAN etc... Black is great for Tron, SS, AFM, JM etc... Chrom for just about anything, but I'm partial to TZ and anything with lots of colour like XM.
    Hope this helps.

#16 11 years ago

Would this work on sys11 games? I might be interested if it would work for fire! CE, in gold of course.

#17 11 years ago

Just placed an order with Adriano (Drano) a couple of days ago for most of my line-up. Can't wait to set these babies up... Great guy to deal with and always follows up!

-Mauro

#18 11 years ago

Problem is he is in CN.

#19 11 years ago
    Quoted from Av8:

Problem is he is in CN.

Not a problem for Mauro

Look on the bright side. Us Canadians get hosed on shipping for maybe 95% of our pin-related purchases. At least you guys in the US only have to go outside the country for very few items.
    I just quoted a guy $45 to ship to the West coast. Earlier I sent a set to Florida for $40. If you're in the NE it's probably even a bit less.
    If you're buying one set of chrome, you're only saving maybe $20 after shipping. However, if you are buying multiples, the savings are worth it. Better yet, if you're buying the black or gold, there is a $100 savings per set on those colors. An extra $20 shipping doesn't sound so bad then.

In any case, I've had two bulk orders and I'm cleaned out for now. No more sets available I'm afraid. I'll reinvest some of the proceeds into some more material and make up some Stern sets and maybe a few more BW. If I can make enough for me and my friends and make a few pinsiders happy, it's all good. But, like most of my little side projects, once they're done, that's it! I'm not getting into the mirror blade business full time.

I'll post an update once more are available.
    Thanks!

#20 11 years ago
    Quoted from gabegabegabe:

Would this work on sys11 games? I might be interested if it would work for fire! CE, in gold of course.

Not sure? Never tried and I don't know if the cabinets differ.

#21 11 years ago

I am interested in a Stern set

#22 11 years ago

Definitely ready for a black set for the Tron LE. Be sure to let us know when the Stern's are ready to go!

#23 11 years ago

Thats awesome Drano, glad to see they are well liked.

#24 11 years ago

In for a black Stern set here!

#25 11 years ago

Got a load of these today. They arrived really fast and the quality is great. I like the thinness better than the real mirror blades. The gold is a bit more gold than the Pdi ones. Drano, if you keep making these we will keep buying them.

#26 11 years ago

How much thinner are they ??

#27 11 years ago
    Quoted from Unstedy:

Definitely ready for a black set for the TRON LE. Be sure to let us know when the Stern's are ready to go!

I've got the Stern all measured up. Just have to order some materials and find some time. It'll be a couple of weeks before I expect to have any parts in hand. The first set is going into my Tron pro as soon as I get the fiber-optic beta wire kit installed

Quoted from swinks:

Thats awesome Drano, glad to see they are well liked.

Thanks for the help Swinks!

Quoted from markmon:

Got a load of these today. They arrived really fast and the quality is great. I like the thinness better than the real mirror blades. The gold is a bit more gold than the Pdi ones. Drano, if you keep making these we will keep buying them.

Thanks Mark. The gold is my favorite.
    I can't really afford to quit my day job just yet, but I'll make a few more batches if there is demand... at least until my supply of massive shipping boxes holds up.

Quoted from asnatlas:

How much thinner are they ??

Never measured them, but at least half the thickness and way lighter. It makes them more delicate and you have to handle with care, but it also has its benefits. It's probably like 2mm, maybe even 1.5mm?

#28 11 years ago

I would be interested in a few of the reg mirror ones for stern if you make more

#29 11 years ago
    Quoted from bluevegas:

I would be interested in a few of the reg mirror ones for stern if you make more

By the sounds of it, seems like I might be making more Stern than I had planned

#30 11 years ago

Ok here are some pictures.
    Medieval Madness (Gold): Note that the gold on these is slightly more reflective than the PDI versions of these. The PDI ones are still gold, but a tiny bit closer to the appearance of the black ones. The black ones seem about the same as the PDI ones.

IMG_1241.JPGIMG_1241.JPG IMG_1242.JPGIMG_1242.JPG

#31 11 years ago

AFM Black. You can see the reflection of the shadow in it

Note: Be careful on installation. I had some trouble with this install. It wasn't the fault of the blades, but it goes to show that the space is tight. The playfield wouldn't come out afterwards. It was wedged in the back between the blades. I had to force it out, remove the blades, then I cut off a 2" angle off the back of each blade, flattened it out, and reinstalled them. Seems ok now, and the part I cut off is not visible anyway.

IMG_1243.JPGIMG_1243.JPG IMG_1244.JPGIMG_1244.JPG

#32 11 years ago

Theatre Of Magic Gold. You can see my shooter lane lights mod doubled up pretty well:

IMG_1237.JPGIMG_1237.JPG IMG_1238.JPGIMG_1238.JPG

#33 11 years ago

No Good Gofers Black (I have lots more but I think this is enough to show how these are looking)

IMG_1239.JPGIMG_1239.JPG IMG_1240.JPGIMG_1240.JPG

#34 11 years ago

some nice machines there Markmon. the blades definitely add a nice touch.

#35 11 years ago

Thanks for posting Mark!

#36 11 years ago

I used the black ones on my MB, very nice product.

#37 11 years ago

Mark did you put them one your Tron? If you did can you post a picture.

#38 11 years ago
    Quoted from pinballlooking:

Haven't produced Sterns yet.
    Sometime this month. Just ordered some more materials.

#39 11 years ago

I want some black ones bally/williams

#40 11 years ago

Tron is "must have" with regular chrome mirror blades. These are the PDI ones but I'm sure Drano's would be similar.

IMG_1246.JPGIMG_1246.JPG IMG_1245.JPGIMG_1245.JPG

#41 11 years ago
    Quoted from markmon:

Tron is "must have" with regular chrome mirror blades. These are the PDI ones but I'm sure Drano's would be similar.

Sweet! I was considering the black for mine. I'll have to experiment

Just got confirmation of my material order today.
    If I don't have any production mishaps or damaged pieces like last time, I should have the following quantities in a week or two:

24 sets of chrome mirror (12 Stern / 12 BW)
    16 sets of black mirror (8 Stern / 8 BW)
    16 sets of gold mirror (8 Stern / 8 BW)

Fingers crossed.

#42 11 years ago

anyone have a pic with a gold set on a LOTR? Trying to decide between gold or Mirror

#43 11 years ago
    Quoted from bluevegas:

anyone have a pic with a gold set on a LOTR? Trying to decide between gold or Mirror

I'll have one this week. My LoTR is all gold so gold made sense on it.

#44 11 years ago
    Quoted from markmon:

I'll have one this week. My LoTR is all gold so gold made sense on it.

Awesome! Thanks Markmon

#45 11 years ago
    Quoted from bluevegas:

I would personally go gold as well. Matches the ring and theme.

#46 11 years ago
    Quoted from markmon:

AFM Black. You can see the reflection of The Shadow in it

That Shadow machine looks whip ass Mark

#47 11 years ago
    Quoted from lonnkor:

That Shadow machine looks whip ass Mark

I know! What a difference a new translite makes.
    The green powdercoat seems to fit as well.

#48 11 years ago
    Quoted from markmon:

Mark thanks for posting. They look great on Tron!

#49 11 years ago

i'm in for one set of gold (stern) for my LOTR, let me know if possible.

#50 11 years ago

The shadow with the black mirror blades installed

IMG_1247.JPGIMG_1247.JPG IMG_1248.JPGIMG_1248.JPG

There are 348 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 7.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/home-made-mirror-blades and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.