View topic image gallery

edwardCIA-NSA-Edward-Snowden_1.jpg
Hobbit_playfield.jpg
Screen Shot 2014-04-12 at 11.36.21 PM.png
hobbit-42014.jpg
diverter-777.jpg
whitewood.jpg
01.jpg
There are 161 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 4.
#1 10 years ago

White wood play video

White wood play video #2

LCD animation clip

I had not seen these before...just got an email from JJP with them. Enjoy.

#2 10 years ago

Flippers look weak as sh*&

Nice Trolls.

#4 10 years ago

Beware knight, Trolls to fight !

#5 10 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Nice Trolls.

Flippergate is back again?

Not sure what you saw, but I saw a ton of completed ramp shots. Looks pretty cool so far.

#6 10 years ago

Does Rick know about the unauthorized use of the trolls?

#7 10 years ago
Quoted from riggy469:

Flippergate is back again?

Joke.

#8 10 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Is Rick a pinside moderator now?

#9 10 years ago

This looks fantastic to me. I like the flow, the two VuK and the trolls so far. Interesting to see use for upper flippers. The ramp mech was never clear to me before and now it is.

#10 10 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Nice Trolls.

I am sorry that your burger flipping job got the best of you. L

Game looks very promising!

#11 10 years ago

I really like it. Looks like a solid start.

#12 10 years ago

Looks cool but, I still don't really see a need for the upper flippers yet. Unless I'm missing something?

I like the WOZ pops though. Lol

#13 10 years ago

The layout looks great. The ramps are amazing.
Except for the top flippers that are used for absolutely nothing. This game would be amazing with only the lower flippers since all the shots can be made with them..

The top right one completely kills the flow of the game. A shot to some targets (or smaug), a hole and a left orbit that is completely unaligned with the top right flipper seems very bad to me.

#14 10 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

Interesting to see use for upper flippers.

Where did you see that?

#15 10 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Where did you see that?

I think he is saying he would like to see the use for the top flippers. Because in this video they are useless.

Any top flipper that doesn't get to a shot that is impossible to make with the lower flippers is a useless flipper

#16 10 years ago

What happened to the drop targets? I thought the original drawings had them in front of the standups.

#17 10 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

This looks fantastic to me. I like the flow, the two VuK and the trolls so far. Interesting to see use for upper flippers. The ramp mech was never clear to me before and now it is.

Agree, but what does the ramp mech do? Wasn't there a diverter there somewhere. I can't really tell.

#18 10 years ago
Quoted from woz:

What happened to the drop targets? I thought the original drawings had them in front of the standups.

Text that came along with the videos addresses this: "We are very excited to release an early version shooting whitewood of The Hobbit Pinball Machine! There is much more not revealed including JJP's proprietary target banks as several of them are not populated into this earlier whitewood. Also not shown is Smaug and how he will integrate with game play.

"Joe Balcer created another great game with a lot to shoot for and a lot of challenges. This is a Pinball Battle game" said Jack. The level of player control and strategy in The Hobbit is a departure from what WOZ is. Between Keith and Ted, we can promise a game packed with the depth, modes, and rules that they are well known for."

#19 10 years ago

Seems a lot faster then WOZ the slingshot battle axe is a little cheesy though.

#20 10 years ago

Looks cool! I see elements of Medieval and Lord of the Rings there... And that ramp makes me think of Fish Tales. I'm not fully understanding the point of the upper flippers though.

#21 10 years ago

Is that a diverter at the top of the dual ramp? It seems like it could lower and turn it into a closed loop. If so, that's pretty clever.

#22 10 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Ha. Now that was funny.

#23 10 years ago

I suspect the upper flippers purpose will become more evident when all of the target banks are in and Smaug is there. While they are showing a basic skeleton there is clearly more to reveal.

#24 10 years ago
Quoted from clg:

I suspect the upper flippers purpose will become more evident when all of the target banks are in and Smaug is there.

I don't know. I don't think the upper flippers purpose on WoZ is very evident to this very day.

#25 10 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

Is that a diverter at the top of the dual ramp? It seems like it could lower and turn it into a closed loop. If so, that's pretty clever.

Very keen observation.

#26 10 years ago

How cool would it be if the map on the apron had LEDs to mark your progress through the game. A mode for each location on the map perhaps?

#27 10 years ago

I know mentioned it in the other thread that has these vids in it too, but...

Is it just me or do I hear a Tie Fighter fly by every once in a while?

#28 10 years ago

Yea this has to be a early version , there are no inserts in the lower half of the white wood at all . I'm not real sure why the axes on the slings ? , but so far it looks like it's coming along nicely . Can't wait to see more

#29 10 years ago

I like the axe slings. Seems kinda cool and something different.

Also I think it is nice to know that the upper rectangles are indeed pop-ups like MM. Makes one wonder what the lower ones are.

#30 10 years ago

We will see how the whole package looks later. I'm not pre-ordering anything anymore.

Unless it's TWD.

#31 10 years ago

Mmmm, subways are back, 2nd video. Also, *that's* the way you do a kickback.

I'm not seeing what's going to make this play fast, though. STTNG is a widebody but still plays fast due to several standups facing right back at you. Everything here is far from the flippers and relatively safe if you miss. Only standout danger areas are the trolls. I'm guessing the intent is to have long ball times to go with a deep rule set, so it can't exactly be F-14 tomcat.

#32 10 years ago
Quoted from spidey:

Mmmm, subways are back, 2nd video. Also, *that's* the way you do a kickback.
I'm not seeing what's going to make this play fast, though. STTNG is a widebody but still plays fast due to several standups facing right back at you. Everything here is far from the flippers and relatively safe if you miss. Only standout danger areas are the trolls. I'm guessing the intent is to have long ball times to go with a deep rule set, so it can't exactly be F-14 Tomcat.

I just watched the 2nd one again to see what I missed. I still didn't see a subway. What are you seeing that I'm not?

#33 10 years ago
Quoted from VolunteerPin:

I just watched the 2nd one again to see what I missed. I still didn't see a subway. What are you seeing that I'm not?

The ball gets caught by a magnet in the back then it drops down into the subway.

#34 10 years ago
Quoted from VolunteerPin:

I like the axe slings. Seems kinda cool and something different.
Also I think it is nice to know that the upper rectangles are indeed pop-ups like MM. Makes one wonder what the lower ones are.

Subways!

#35 10 years ago

I'm just happy JJP is showing something more and it looks very promising to me. I'm very excited and glad to be back in on the pre-order. I just really hope they are MUCH further along than what they've shown (and I want to believe they are).

#36 10 years ago
Quoted from CraZ4Pin:

I just really hope they are MUCH further along than what they've shown (and I want to believe they are).

Why would you think that?

#37 10 years ago

It is really nice to see progress on this pin. This is a whitewood, and as I can see, not all of the goodies are in place.

#38 10 years ago

The negative Nancy"s are here! Looks like they are keeping a few "innovations" under wraps. Looks like flow to me! if the lower trap doors are exits or entrances watch out!

#39 10 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Why would you think that?

Because they seem to be confident that they are on target for the first shipments starting in December. Given that, I think they would need to be further along in development (a white wood close to finalization, if not finalziaed, with a fully-functioning Smaug.)

#40 10 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

Definitely looks like it can turn the ramp into a horseshoe ramp.

#41 10 years ago

Why can't JJP just release the game without all these worthless updates?
Show me the game fully working and in stock and then I'll think about buying it.
These updates do nothing anymore . The original hobbit cab update was cool because it showed the full cab art however it turns out they just released those pics to generate sales, knowing all the cab art was going to change.

#42 10 years ago
Quoted from CraZ4Pin:

Because they seem to be confident that they are on target for the first shipments starting in December. Given that, I think they would need to be further along in development (a white wood close to finalization, if not finalziaed, with a fully-functioning Smaug.)

This would my spin on this.

This machine would be an older test pin. As of today the current whitewood pin would be further developed, and out of view of the general public.

#43 10 years ago
Quoted from rottenrobert1313:

Looks cool but, I still don't really see a need for the upper flippers yet. Unless I'm missing something?
I like the WOZ pops though. Lol

For battling Smaug and hitting the Drop targets banks in front of Smaug, and possibly entering to Lonely mountain.
There is much not revealed in those vids. Whitewood is farther along than that vid shows.

#44 10 years ago
Quoted from spidey:

Mmmm, subways are back, 2nd video.

What was the last game to be released with a subway?

I think the P3 has subways so they probably have to be credited with bringing them back.

#45 10 years ago
Quoted from CraZ4Pin:

So wishful thinking on your part. Got ya.

#46 10 years ago
Quoted from SilverBallz:

Why can't JJP just release the game without all these worthless updates?
Show me the game fully working and in stock and then I'll think about buying it.
These updates do nothing anymore . The original hobbit cab update was cool because it showed the full cab art however it turns out they just released those pics to generate sales, knowing all the cab art was going to change.

Because Jack understands that his company was basically crowd-funded and when you take on "equity partners" in that model you need to keep them updated as to the progress of the company. JJP was built on a different model than BLY/WMS, Stern was built.

#47 10 years ago

One thing I just realised is that the LCD is an operational part of the game at a much earlier stage than it was with WOZ. As I recall, the LCD wasn't integrated into gameplay until months after the WOZ whitewood was flipping. The game was even at shows with full playfield artwork while the LCD was still playing the JJP logo animation on a continuous loop. This is good news, evidence of the fact that the Hobbit will likely come together more quickly than WOZ did.

#48 10 years ago

Well, not too exciting to me. The upper flippers seem to be totally useless. Seems kind of slow or floaty. I did not care for what Peter Jackson did to the book at all. It's like he took a fine book and made it super long and added pointless Hollywood cues. Have not even seen the second movie, and I was the biggest The Hobbit fan growing up, read the book several times.

I was greatly interested in this pin vs MMR, but not feeling it. I know it's just a prototype but this did not excite me.

#49 10 years ago

The second movie is much better than the first one but to split into 3 is a pure money play.

#50 10 years ago
Quoted from rai:

Well, not too exciting to me. The upper flippers seem to be totally useless. Seems kind of slow or floaty. I did not care for what Peter Jackson did to the book at all. It's like he took a fine book and made it super long and added pointless Hollywood cues. Have not even seen the second movie, and I was the biggest The Hobbit fan growing up, read the book several times.
I was greatly interested in this pin vs MMR, but not feeling it. I know it's just a prototype but this did not excite me.

You are missing out. The first movie was story and character building. 2nd movie was most all action and great.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 125.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

Flipper Parts
FlipMods

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

9,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Indianapolis, IN
Machine - For Sale
Pipe Creek, TX
$ 90.00
Playfield - Other
RavSpec

Hardware
Pinball Haven

8,750 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Belington, WV
$ 39.00
Playfield - Other
Travahontas Mods

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Cedar City, UT
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 79.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Life

$ 64.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 25.50
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 161 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hobbit-videos and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.