(Topic ID: 14664)

Hey Laseriffic....CFTBL Hologram Replacement???

By Rick471

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 46 posts
  • 20 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by alveolus
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

creature_3.jpg
creature_2.jpg
creature_1.jpg

#1 11 years ago

Why dont you try doing a CFTBL Hologram type thing like one of your toppers?

I would be interested in seeing if it would shoe through the lagoon.

Your toppers look pretty detailed, I bet it would be alot better than having nothing under there!

And I am sure alot of CFTBL owners would snatch em up too!

I got rid of mine for fear the holo would go out...

Whadda ya think??

#2 11 years ago

He's already done a CFTBL topper.

#3 11 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

I think he's talking about the hologram under the playfield.

#4 11 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

He's not asking for a topper....He's asking for a lighted replacement for the hologram....Not a bad idea actually.

Edit: The Dude Abides by 5 seconds

#5 11 years ago
Quoted from The_Dude_Abides:

RobT said:He's already done a CFTBL topper.

I am!

Edited 1st post

#6 11 years ago

I actually have a CFTBL here and for this exact reason.. Can I replace the hologram with a edge lit piece of acrylic?.. not sure. I have been so busy that I haven't even tried to look to much into it. It was brought to my attention about a month or so ago by a fellow pinhead. I do have a plan. I will look into it maybe this weekend since my materials are not showing up till next week.

Joe

#7 11 years ago

I reckon this is a great idea, the lamp set up in the base of the cabinet to light this feature could be relocated to the edge of the material so activated in sync with game features.

Please do it, I think you would get alot of people interested.

#8 11 years ago

I'll see what I can do. What features would you have it hooked up to? A flasher or rollover?? I need to find 12v sources.

#9 11 years ago
Quoted from The_Dude_Abides:

RobT said:He's already done a CFTBL topper.

I'm a boob!

#10 11 years ago
Quoted from Laseriffic:

I'll see what I can do. What features would you have it hooked up to? A flasher or rollover?? I need to find 12v sources.

It has its own light source. I think you would only have to remove bulb and tap into that source. I dont think getting power/light to it would be an issue.

#11 11 years ago

Mine does not have a hologram so I got a creature model under the window, then I took the lamp from the base of the cabinet and installed a plug and a longer lead using the same globe holder from the base and re-installed up near the model. This way the light still comes on with the creature feature and is long enough to still lift up the playfield, and then unplug if you need to remove the playfield all together. I used a ablaze 9 green led to get a good saturation of bright green light. It would be cool if you set up 2 recesses in your custom creature block insert for 2 ablaze 3 leds - 1 x blue and 1 x green shooting from 2 corners so to speak in a cross configuration. It then becomes personal choice to have a green and blue or 2 greens ???

#12 11 years ago

This might actually be more awesome than the hologram!

#13 11 years ago

I might swap out my hologram for one if it looks awesome enough. I love the idea.

#14 11 years ago

Definitely a cool idea the hologram has been such a big issue on CFTBL.

Quoted from RobT:

The_Dude_Abides said:RobT said:He's already done a CFTBL topper.
I'm a boob!

It's all good in the hood.

#15 11 years ago

Me too!!!

POSTED 1 HOUR AGO | # QUOTE | !! |
I might swap out my hologram for one if it looks awesome enough. I love the idea.

#16 11 years ago

If I got a creature drawn on acrylic, under lit in in green leds and used the power from the original lamp source to light it would I disconnect he motor? Does your mirror still have any effect on this?
Joe

#17 11 years ago

I think you would lose some of the moving effect. But you could add something laseriffic to the bottom side of the glass giving the creature a trim of swamp type stuff. I think either could work and look cool. That said you could do any other games with lower playfields as well. CFTBL, BIBLE etc..

#18 11 years ago

The motor is separate from the light source. I think you could leave yours attached to the hologram plate. The plate is attached to the motor, not the bulb.

If your stuff is lightweight I think it could still rotate. Rotate it with the light source attached to your replacement?

#19 11 years ago

Does the motor arm ( underneath the hologram ) touch the hologram or is it protected by something? If this arm touches the acrylic then it will scratch and show.. I will measure this up this weekend, I'll get some acrylic this week for it and have Jay draw up a sketch for me. I will post the idea and you guys can make what changes you would like to see on or leave it as Jay designed it.. up to you on this one.

Joe

#20 11 years ago

I'm also very interested in this!

Quoted from Laseriffic:

Does the motor arm ( underneath the hologram ) touch the hologram or is it protected by something?

I have to double check but "pretty sure" it is protected. Otherwise the hologram would get destroyed by that arm turning.

#21 11 years ago

Can't wait to see the end results of this...great idea and seems pretty darn easy to complete!

#22 11 years ago

This really is an awesome idea. The hologram is a major issue, and from comments I've read, it deters some from even attempting to own the game. It would be great to have an alternative to the very expensive original holograms & Illinois Pinball repros that show up for sale once in a blue moon for $500-$800.

#23 11 years ago

Count me in for one.

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#24 11 years ago

Definitely an awesome idea, the answer to a problem or a great mod!

#25 11 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

I'm a boob!

Then I just twisted your nose.

#26 11 years ago

The motor can be turned off in the settings.
Mine never had the hologram but sure there is a bracket that slightly nudges the back of the holo,but it could the mirror ??? Haven't looked for a while.

I reckon a piece of 8-10 mm acrylic, with the 3d etching of the creech and lagoon weeds and maybe a girl in the background then the piece cut to fill the entire lagoon egg shape would be awesome, turn the motors off like you said back light it with a green led from the original light source relocated close and it would look professional.

#27 11 years ago
Quoted from Laseriffic:

Does the motor arm ( underneath the hologram ) touch the hologram or is it protected by something? If this arm touches the acrylic then it will scratch and show.. I will measure this up this weekend, I'll get some acrylic this week for it and have Jay draw up a sketch for me.

The light shines on a mirror that moves making the light shift back and forth. The hologram is fixed.

#28 11 years ago

Ok.. I have acrylic on order 3/16th seems to be the size. The frame size is actually .249 a hair under 1/4". I have quarter inch here and could test it out and bend the edges of the frame to allow me to put the backing on. I have a tech coming tonight ( Allan Free ) just one heck of a tech and guy, he is going to give time tonight in figuring out the wiring and maybe wiring this into the switch matrix for different flash on and off times. I have it apart now and I'm getting it all ready for Allan. I will follow up later and if we can get 1/4" to work I should have a sample later tonight ( pics )

I have had this on my plate for sometime now, just no time to do it. But with the situation I'm in with my materials, this is a perfect time.

Joe

#29 11 years ago

I am in for 1 also. My hologram is blue been that way for years but it won't last forever.

#30 11 years ago
Quoted from donjagra:

The light shines on a mirror that moves making the light shift back and forth. The hologram is fixed.

The hologram is fixed to a thin piece of metal and there is a motor with a cam located directly behind the metal that moves also that flexes the hologram at the same time that the mirror in the bottom of the cabinet is also moving. Two gear motors, 1 that drives the mirror in bottom of cabinet, 2nd that drives the cam that warps the hologram.

#31 11 years ago
Quoted from pin-tastic:

Two gear motors, 1 that drives the mirror in bottom of cabinet, 2nd that drives the cam that warps the hologram.

For real? I need to look closer at that!

#32 11 years ago

I would prefer only the original lighting implementation which would require only powering the mod from the bulb socket.

#33 11 years ago

Yep, that's how it is on mine not sure if there were any variants during the production run.

#34 11 years ago
Quoted from alveolus:

I would prefer only the original lighting implementation which would require only powering the mod from the bulb socket.

Well that's not possible unfortunately. These designs work on a edge lit concept. I do have a really nice creature being drawn right now, it won't be a moving hologram but it will look really nice in it's place. We have our idea , just waiting on Jay to draw it for me. This will be a prototype tonight, the actual acrylic I need ( size ) won't ready till next Tuesday for pick up. I am going to somehow sticky tape this in place and get a pic of what it will look like once we figure the mounting out.

Joe

#35 11 years ago
Quoted from pin-tastic:

donjagra said:For real?
Yep, that's how it is on mine not sure if there were any variants during the production run.

Yes, that's correct....no variants, the hologram film is warped by a motor driven cam to turn the image side to side.

I'm hoping with the laserific design that something can be done to give the acrylic image some movement. Just having a static image edge lit with LED's won't have the same effect, but I suppose anything is better than a black hologram. Fortunately, mine's still green

#36 11 years ago

In order to get movement you need a hologram/ flexibility . I'll see how this turns out tonight, maybe it will move a bit???

#37 11 years ago

You should be able to use just one motor to make it turn back n forth right? I assume the warping talked about is to make the 3d effect of the hand.

I bet most would be ok with just the movement.

#38 11 years ago
Quoted from swinks:

Mine does not have a hologram so I got a creature model under the window, then I took the lamp from the base of the cabinet and installed a plug and a longer lead using the same globe holder from the base and re-installed up near the model. This way the light still comes on with the creature feature and is long enough to still lift up the playfield, and then unplug if you need to remove the playfield all together. I used a ablaze 9 green led to get a good saturation of bright green light.

Do you have pictures of this? Sounds pretty sweet!

There were some guys working on an LCD that would go in the window and play a looped Creech animation when triggered. I think it was on a German pinball site.

#39 11 years ago

In keeping with the theme someone's got to do a 3d option. A holo is factory and sure looks cool, and I have a nice green repro holo as of current, but I see a big window with lots of options in the future to fill it.

#40 11 years ago

swinks said:Mine does not have a hologram so I got a creature model under the window, then I took the lamp from the base of the cabinet and installed a plug and a longer lead using the same globe holder from the base and re-installed up near the model. This way the light still comes on with the creature feature and is long enough to still lift up the playfield, and then unplug if you need to remove the playfield all together. I used a ablaze 9 green led to get a good saturation of bright green light.

Erik said:Do you have pictures of this? Sounds pretty sweet!
There were some guys working on an LCD that would go in the window and play a looped Creech animation when triggered. I think it was on a German pinball site.

here area few to give you an idea, I mounted the lamp where the holo would normally go. It is quite effective but does not move - but this feature turns on rarely (with me anyway haha)

creature_1.jpgcreature_1.jpg creature_2.jpgcreature_2.jpg creature_3.jpgcreature_3.jpg

#41 11 years ago
Quoted from Rick471:

You should be able to use just one motor to make it turn back n forth right? I assume the warping talked about is to make the 3d effect of the hand regarding the hand movement for the 3d effect.

Yes, that's exactly what the other motor is for. I agree, it's the least important feature of the OE setup to me.

Thanks so much for doing this Joe. I think if executed well, you'll have a huge hit now and years to come.

#42 11 years ago
Quoted from swinks:

here area few to give you an idea

Nice work! Not bad at all considering its not a hologram.

#43 11 years ago
Quoted from Laseriffic:

alveolus said:I would prefer only the original lighting implementation which would require only powering the mod from the bulb socket.
Well that's not possible unfortunately. These designs work on a edge lit concept. I do have a really nice creature being drawn right now, it won't be a moving hologram but it will look really nice in it's place. We have our idea , just waiting on Jay to draw it for me. This will be a prototype tonight, the actual acrylic I need ( size ) won't ready till next Tuesday for pick up. I am going to somehow sticky tape this in place and get a pic of what it will look like once we figure the mounting out.
Joe

I understand how you will be lighting it. I'm just saying you need to power it from the socket or wiring to the socket so the mod will be lit as intended by the game software. Unless I'm mistaken, the lamp is powered by 12v DC via J118-2. Would that power source not work for your mod?

#44 11 years ago
Quoted from alveolus:

Laseriffic said:alveolus said:I would prefer only the original lighting implementation which would require only powering the mod from the bulb socket.
Joe
I understand how you will be lighting it. I'm just saying you need to power it from the socket or wiring to the socket so the mod will be lit as intended by the game software. Unless I'm mistaken, the lamp is powered by 12v DC via J118-2. Would that power source not work for your mod?

What I need is 12v, so I will go off the lamp, but is that what triggers the hologram to come on??. When Allan gets here, he'll figure all that out. The design that has been drawn is creature swimming upwards, with his hands out 3D effect in drawing. I will see later on tonight how this looks with pics. We are going to start in about an hour or so when he gets here.

#45 11 years ago

With the globe that I relocated to the holo frame is the 12volt lighting for the holo effect that is normally mounted on the cabinet base. Just cut the source, put a plug and a lead extension and it is still the same on off control and relocate the lighting closer if not to the edge of the acrylic.

#46 11 years ago

The game triggers the light and motors together. Obviously the hologram is there all the time, it just is not visible until the bulb is on.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.
Sound/Speakers

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hey-laseriffic and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.