Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

60398_R.jpg
LeftMistGateAttached.jpg
LeftMistGateSide.jpg
LeftMistGatewMeas.jpg
#1 11 years ago

So, for some reason, the left mist gate (part 12-7065 for people searching) still doesn't seem to be available for purchase anywhere. Can anyone with a BSD please post some pictures of their left mist gate with some rulers and anything else necessary to make a new one accurately? Side views, etc would be great to get the bends correct!

Please? Thank you!

#2 11 years ago

Please PM me with your email address. I already have a few pictures.

#3 11 years ago

Let me know if you need anything more than what goldpins has.

#4 11 years ago

do you just need the wire part of the gate? pm me if so, I might have what you need

1 week later
#5 11 years ago

Thanks very much to the folks that helped, especially goldpins for providing the measurements. I wanted to follow-up here for anyone who happens by and in case any of you ever have yours break.

I used a 3/32" stainless rod to make my new gate because it was easier to get than brass (remember it needs to be non-ferrous!). I held the wire in a vice and used a hammer to gently bend it so I could get nice tight corners. I found using hands/pliers ended up with real wide corners.

After getting the general shape, I held the top arm on the back 'anvil' portion of my vice and beat it flat with the hammer, as you can see in the side view pic attached. Once I had it about as thin as I thought it would go, I drilled a small hole in it (1/16" bit was smallest I had) for the spring connector.

I should mention when doing the initial bends, I ignored the angles in the gate and just made it flat. Once I got it all drilled and cut, I put it back in the vice and gave it the angles you see in the picture. Those had to be played with a little bit to get the gate to open high enough (it doesn't move much!).

At this point, the gate opens just high enough to allow the ball to push under it in both directions, the same with it works going under the right gate.

Because the now flattened end is to fat to go through the gate bracket hole, the wire needs to be fed all the way through from one end (right side with hole, not slot), but that wasn't a big deal at all. As you can see in the third picture, the top left "hinge" portion could be a bit shorter to make it easier to get that in, but the wire was malleable enough that you could get it in there, then squeeze it back into shape if you happened to widen it trying.

LeftMistGatewMeas.jpgLeftMistGatewMeas.jpg LeftMistGateSide.jpgLeftMistGateSide.jpg LeftMistGateAttached.jpgLeftMistGateAttached.jpg

#6 11 years ago

Beautiful work !

LTG : )

#7 11 years ago

Nice job. Now everyone else is going to want a new one.

#8 11 years ago

Nice Job! these parts should get repro so many BSD's out there

#9 11 years ago

Awesome work. Can't tell it is not an original .....glad I could help you.

#10 11 years ago

I bought this set:

http://www.micromark.com/metal-forming-pliers-set-of-4,7068.html

Using hardened piano wire from the hobby shop or bicycle spokes I have made many near perfect wire gates. Lots of system 11 ball trough gates.

60398_R.jpg60398_R.jpg

#11 11 years ago

Wow, that kit looks cool. I'll have to keep it in mind if I ever have a need to do more than a one off.

2 months later
#12 10 years ago
Quoted from aobrien5:

Thanks very much to the folks that helped, especially goldpins for providing the measurements. I wanted to follow-up here for anyone who happens by and in case any of you ever have yours break.
I used a 3/32" stainless rod to make my new gate because it was easier to get than brass (remember it needs to be non-ferrous!). I held the wire in a vice and used a hammer to gently bend it so I could get nice tight corners. I found using hands/pliers ended up with real wide corners.
After getting the general shape, I held the top arm on the back 'anvil' portion of my vice and beat it flat with the hammer, as you can see in the side view pic attached. Once I had it about as thin as I thought it would go, I drilled a small hole in it (1/16" bit was smallest I had) for the spring connector.
I should mention when doing the initial bends, I ignored the angles in the gate and just made it flat. Once I got it all drilled and cut, I put it back in the vice and gave it the angles you see in the picture. Those had to be played with a little bit to get the gate to open high enough (it doesn't move much!).
At this point, the gate opens just high enough to allow the ball to push under it in both directions, the same with it works going under the right gate.
Because the now flattened end is to fat to go through the gate bracket hole, the wire needs to be fed all the way through from one end (right side with hole, not slot), but that wasn't a big deal at all. As you can see in the third picture, the top left "hinge" portion could be a bit shorter to make it easier to get that in, but the wire was malleable enough that you could get it in there, then squeeze it back into shape if you happened to widen it trying.

Thanks for this. The game I bought had the left gate on the right side. It broke trying to adjust it. I got some brass rod from a local hobby shop and now have a gate. Thank You so much for posting.

Tom.

#13 10 years ago

If you are looking for wire to make these out of, go to a welding supply store and by Stainless Steel TIG welding rod. It comes in an incredible number of diameters and comes in a 3' stick. You buy by the pound and it is very cheap considering how much you can make out a 3' piece.

6 months later
#14 10 years ago

hello

Is anyone able to produce this part and sell it to me? It is nowhere available. Without this spare part my whole Pinball-Machine is out of service. Thank you!

#15 10 years ago
Quoted from retrosys:

hello
Is anyone able to produce this part and sell it to me? It is nowhere available. Without this spare part my whole Pinball-Machine is out of service. Thank you!

Me too am looking since awhile for this part ....
But don't be over dramatic, you can bend one yourself from some thin wire or piano-wire. i did

#16 10 years ago

Yup , just made my own .

#17 10 years ago

I would hardly call the machine out of service even without one. All it does is prevent the ball from falling out of the left hole when hit during play, but to be honest, it's not very difficult for that to happen even with the gate installed. There's nothing holding the gate in place but gravity, so it still happens fairly often. Best thing to do is get the mist ball when it's coming from the right so you never have it sitting in the left hole.

That said, I would still buy a real one if it were professionally produced.

#18 10 years ago

no one can sell me one?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RudeDogg Customs

$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 17.50
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Haus

$ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Rocket City Pinball

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 17.50
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 84.99
$ 46.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 225.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 69.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

$ 10.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Omaha, NE
$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

€ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Kami's Pinball Parts

$ 5.00
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

9,700 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
South Bound Brook, NJ

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/help-making-new-bsd-left-mist-gate and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.