You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

$_57.JPG
520-5003-03-jmp.jpg
520-5003-03.jpg
#1 9 years ago

Trying to confirm current jumper arrangement on ver. 2 board. Need to determine if it was set up for 1 or 2 EPROMs. Can't find J5a, J5b, J6a, J6b anywhere ! Going to go blind if I look any harder. Please help.

#2 9 years ago

If you listed a game that used this, you may get more assistance.

Just sayin...
faz

#3 9 years ago

Good idea. Thanks

#4 9 years ago

According to BTTF manual page 44 mpu 520-5003-03 they are located on the red lines
520-5003-03.jpg520-5003-03.jpg

#5 9 years ago

Thanks for info. There is nothing in those locations on my ver. 2 board though. I have found many sources stating which jumpers are needed on the ver. 2 board but they don't seem to exist.

#6 9 years ago

Made a scan of the manual page i (jumper table), maybe it's useful
I looks like there are solder points with enough space to put in a jumper on these locations,
but it has no text printed on the board.

520-5003-03-jmp.jpg520-5003-03-jmp.jpg

#7 9 years ago

Thanks for scan zaza. Looks like area for J5b has tiny solder joints but not the other areas. Wouldn't it be crazy to publish all this info about using these jumpers if they didn't exist ?

#8 9 years ago

Yes, something went wrong between the drawing board and the actual design of the PCB, but I have to say that my knowledge about Data East is very limited.

#9 9 years ago

$_57.JPG$_57.JPGHere's a -2 MPU, with the P/N outlined in red, and the jumper location outlined in red.

#10 9 years ago

If it's a blue PCB, it's a -1 board and I'm 99.99% sure the only game a -1 board will work in is Laser War.

#11 9 years ago

Thanks. Nice closeup pic helps a lot. I think I have figured out several things now. All blue boards have 520-5003-00 printed on them. No blue boards have jumper locations J5A,J5B,J6A,J6B even though written sources say they do. Most blue boards are version 1 boards, 520-5003-01 and may have a sticker on them to identify as such. Other blue boards are version 2 boards, 520-5003-02 and may have a sticker on them to identify as such. Blue version 2 boards have a 8k RAM at location 5D with 28 legs adapted to the board crudely in a 2k Ram 24 pin socket. Extra legs hang over socket and are soldered with wires to points around the board. I have seen these wires on 5 examples now - always the same wire color combinations and wire gauges. Factory done for sure. All blue boards have 12 pin connectors at CN3 in upper right corner. Green version 2 boards have 520-5003-02 printed on them and no longer have crude adaptation for 8k RAM and use 28 pin socket. Green boards have J5A,J5B,J6A,J6B jumpers on them. Green version 2 boards all have only 9 pins at CN3 connector and is one of the main reasons that this board can't be used in a "blue boarded" model of Data East's first machine Laser War. Laser Wars with green boards from the factory can run version 3 boards as well as aftermarket (Rottendog) version 4 boards because only 7 pins at connector CN3 are needed in these machines. Still unclear about ROM chip being used at one or two locations on these boards as written material contradicts itself everywhere. It has taken me forever to figure all this out and I hope it is correct. Thanks for all the help. I hope this with help others out there. If all is confirmed I may make a post on ver. 1 vs. ver. 2.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/help-cant-locate-jumpers-on-de-520-5003-02-mpu and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.