Hardcore Pawn

Started 1 year ago by Turkey_Robinson in forum Off topicOff-topic bar.

Forum » Off topic » Off-topic bar » Topic

Hardcore Pawn

Topic summary

• Started 1 year ago by Turkey_Robinson
  • 29 Pinsiders participating in this thread.
  • Latest reply from kwiKimart

Tilts/ ignores / abuse

Sharing and favs

Games linked to topic

Help us build a pinball game knowledge base by linking topics to the games discussed in them!

1 year, 11 months ago
    #

Has anyone seen this show? It's a reality tv show on the Tru-TV channel. The show's similar to the other pawn shop shows. It's set in Detroit though and it's completely ridiculous. The people talk to each other with such disrespect it's amazing. The family that runs it fights with each other the whole show. They act like children. I can't tell if it's 100% real because a lot of it just can't be. Some of the scenes are so over-the-top that it just can't be real. Make no mistake though, this show is so f-ing entertaining. It's the kind of dumb entertainment that you can watch after a long day at work when you just can't use your brain anymore. I've worked in customer service my whole life and they way they talk to some of their customers is amazing! It's the kind of stuff I'd love to say to people that come in to my job but if I did, I'd most likely be fired on the spot. This show isn't going to reinvent anything here, but it's a great way to kill 30 minutes (Other than playing pinball) when you need some cheap entertainment with a few laughs. Check it out.

1 year, 11 months ago
    #

I used to watch it when it was free on the internet. Now you have to pay to watch it.

1 year, 11 months ago
    #

What did you think of it?

1 year, 11 months ago
    #

I've seen it... and I can't say it does anything for the Detroit Tourism Board. The customers that come in DEMANDING to be paid for their broken laptops and fake jewelery are definitely entertaining, though.

1 year, 11 months ago
    #

All these pawn and repo shows are staged and the customers are all actors. I don't mind them making these shows I just hate them passiv it off as real and people believing it

1 year, 11 months ago
    #

It's all staged. The customers, the employees, etc. It's quite obvious.

1 year, 11 months ago
    #
    Turkey_Robinson said:

What did you think of it?

I liked watching it. It was entertaining for sure. Now you have to have an account with a cable company to watch it on the internet. The last full episode I watched was a year ago when it was still free.

1 year, 11 months ago
    #
    Blackbeard said:

It's all staged. The customers, the employees, etc. It's quite obvious.

I get a kick when you can see the mic pack in the back wasteband of the customers sometimes. And in Detroit...with those kind of clientel they have there...there is *NO WAY* the old guy Les would be as cocky as he is to all those thugs. Security or not, someone would shoot him.

1 year, 11 months ago
    #

I know those show are staged, but i still get a kick out of seeing what people bring in, that goes for pawn stars, auction kings all those show. i love them

1 year, 11 months ago
    #

Well yes & no. It's an entertaining show for sure. Of course tons of it are scripted, like many a show these days. Completely fake? probably not, but a lot of it is. AS for this...

LesManley said:

...there is *NO WAY* the old guy Les would be as cocky as he is to all those thugs. Security or not, someone would shoot him.

Every bigger urban area is full of thugs and tons of people talk smack to them all the time. If you've got a huge Pawn Shop in Detroit for 20 years, you probably have done some shack talking in your time. And then throw in a ton of security guards, and a TV camera were you have to look "hard," you'll throw out some abuse.

Now the new store is in Pontiac...trust me these aren't nice places and you're not gunna make it without thick skin. And don't mean to blow anyone's mind here, but there are a large amount of completely crazy people in Detroit.

Obviously the whole family dynamic is the shiftiest part.

This show is more about the wacky people that come in, in opposition to Pawn Stars where it's more about interesting items.

EDIT: It isn't as bad as "really completely" fake shows that claim to be real like "Operation Repo."

1 year, 11 months ago
    #

Yeah I watch it, Les has a Star Trek 1991 data east pin in his office. They always cover or blur the translight for some reason.

1 year, 11 months ago
    #

Prefer the Vegas Pawn stars

1 year, 11 months ago
    #
    nasco62 said:

Prefer the Vegas Pawn stars

+ 1 million

Donnyman said:

They always cover or blur the translight for some reason.

Maybe for legal reasons?

1 year, 11 months ago
    #
    Donnyman said:

Yeah I watch it, Les has a Star Trek 1991 data east pin in his office. They always cover or blur the translight for some reason.

Actually, that's a Bally machine.

1 year, 11 months ago
    #
    KenLayton said:

Donnyman said:Yeah I watch it, Les has a Star Trek 1991 data east pin in his office. They always cover or blur the translight for some reason.
    Actually, that's a Bally machine.

Star Trek 25th Anniversaty is a Data East.

Unless you're saying the machine in his office is a Bally. If that's what you're talking about, I have no idea, since I don't watch the show.

1 year, 11 months ago
    #

3 words.... Can't Watch It !!

Edit: I can watch the regular Pawn Stars though, even though the Dad is horrible at reading off a cue card.

1 year, 11 months ago
    #

Im with you guys on Pawn Stars I love it entertaining and educational. I like Hardcore pawn for the drama

1 year, 11 months ago
    #

Hardcore Pawn is about the only show I can watch on "Tru" TV. All their shows are fake as hell, but Lizard Lick Towing is pretty funny at times. They have to be wrestlers or use wrestlers as extras as I see collar-elbow tie-ups when they are "fighting" with their repo victims, not to mention the midget that did the springboard off the chair to headbutt Bobby in the balls. That reminds me, how many repo shows can there be? Tru TV has at least 3 that I know of lol. Pawn Stars is annoying at times as Chumley isn't nearly as funny as they think he is...

1 year, 11 months ago
    #

I like Pawn Stars because Chumley is a train wreck. He never ceases to amaze me.

1 year, 11 months ago
    #

The show is scripted.

It also panders to the most obvious racial stereotypes, from ignorant "homeboy" black people wearing hoodies to money-grubbing, gold-chain wearing Jewish owners. It's one big train wreck, that is embarassingly-addictive to watch.

1 year, 11 months ago
    #
    btrip said:

Unless you're saying the machine in his office is a Bally

The one in his office IS the old Bally ST.

1 year, 11 months ago
    #
    Cliffy said:

btrip said:Unless you're saying the machine in his office is a Bally
    The one in his office IS the old Bally ST.

Yup, that's the one.

1 year, 11 months ago
    #
    PinballHelp said:

The show is scripted.
    It also panders to the most obvious racial stereotypes, from ignorant "homeboy" black people wearing hoodies to money-grubbing, gold-chain wearing Jewish owners. It's one big train wreck, that is embarassingly-addictive to watch.

Yup...non of those things exsist in Detroit...or New Orleans eh?

1 year, 11 months ago
    #

Yeah good call kenlayton it is the bally one. Do you guys watch "Raising Hope" they have 3 pins in the grocery store set in the back round. Its funny same producers of "My Name Is Earl" which had pinball machines in the back round in the crab shack. At least some people still have taste in entertainment.

1 year, 11 months ago
    #
    TheLaw said:

Yup...non of those things exsist in Detroit...or New Orleans eh?

New Orleans has it's own set of dominant negative stereotypes.. mainly alcoholics & corrupt politicians.

1 year, 11 months ago
    #
    PinballHelp said:

New Orleans has it's own set of dominant negative stereotypes.. mainly alcoholics & corrupt politicians.

Touche`

justonemore

Pinball addict
    907,300 2
    1 year, 11 months ago
    #

beats the bachelor or bachelorette, Jersey shore, Gene Simmons, or a lot of the other reality show garbage. How about american pickers or storage wars, find them as fun as hardcore pawn.. Maybe its just the semi-hoarder / collector in us pinheads. Lets face it even my brothers who played pinball with me in the bars several decades ago, don't get why I need more than one pinball machine...

1 year, 11 months ago
    #

I'm ashamed to admit I am familiar with every show that has been mentioned.. LOL

I can't watch those storage shows any more though.. they're just ridiculous. I used to go to a lot of storage auctions and 99% of the time, it was total crap. They'd roll up the doors and you'd be like, "Someone PAID to STORE that?" The only way I'd watch those shows now is in hopes Brandi might have a wardrobe malfunction. ; )

1 year, 11 months ago
    #

A reality show is only as good as the writing team and producer.

1 year, 11 months ago
    #

Speaking of reality shows. Ken layton I don't know you but looking at your Avatar pic I could. Peg you for being the identical twin brother of dave hester "yyyeeeeeeppppp". I think of him everytime I see one of your posts.

Slate

Pinball addict
    1,050,300 3
    1 year, 11 months ago
    #

Some good discussions on fake shows here.. http://centraltendencies.com/2011/03/pawn-stars-is-fake/

1 year, 11 months ago
    #

All I can say is we had a store in Brooklyn 20 years ago.

Acting or not, we had people all day long with attitude, fighting, jewelry etc.
    Bad clothing, ignorance, demanding and fowl mouthed.
    Across all cultures too.

For me, only a little exaggerated from my personal experiences.

But that was only Jewelry and times were suppose to have been better.

1 year, 11 months ago
    #

All reality shows are fake - end of story.

1 year, 11 months ago
    #
    Slate said:

Some good discussions on fake shows here.. http://centraltendencies.com/2011/03/pawn-stars-is-fake/

It's well known about Pawn Stars and their fakery. In fact, the pinball machine segment where they "restored" that old Bally EM game was discussed in length on RGP as they originally approached Tim Arnold and he blew them off. It was one of those before/after switch-a-roos as well.

Slate

Pinball addict
    1,050,300 3
    1 year, 11 months ago
    #

With all due respect most shows have to be since people need to be mic'd and fore warned, etc. Plus they need interesting stuff.

I watch Pawn stars only for the History aspect. Could care less where they got it, etc. As long as they do not lie about history then its ok.

Deadliest Catch was one of the first to go from documentary to a kind of reality.
    Now these shows like Hardcore Pawn are silly.

Guess there are people who watch just to watch. Guess somehow the numbers of Avg 4 Hrs Per Day per Person has to come from somewhere.

Not Me.

1 year, 11 months ago
    #

I would watch Hardcore Pawn just for entertainment value, but the sister is just too butt ugly for tv.

Seriously!

1 year, 11 months ago
    #
    Rick471 said:

I would watch Hardcore Pawn just for entertainment value, but the sister is just too butt ugly for tv.
    Seriously!

Yea, and she thinks wearing all black all the time is going to hide that body?

1 year, 11 months ago
    #

Hardcore Pawn is entertaining from time to time, though definitely reenactments blown way out of proportion.

COPS seems to be the only reality show with live action and no actors, I just watched a few episodes a couple of weeks ago and they are still making new episodes. In my opinion, the original and still the best reality show.

1 year, 11 months ago
    #

I think the most obviously fake "reality show" was that Moonshiners one. It was so bad they apparently had to stop calling it a series and make it a "special". Lots of film of people carrying around milk jugs probably filled with water acting like they're running from the law..

1 year, 11 months ago
    #
    FlipperMagician said:

COPS seems to be the only reality show with live action and no actors, I just watched a few episodes a couple of weeks ago and they are still making new episodes.

+1 I love COPS. Most, if not all of my favorite reality TV episodes are from COPS.

1 year, 11 months ago
    #
    vid1900 said:

All reality shows are fake - end of story.

I completely forgot about COPS!

I stand corrected.

1 year, 11 months ago
    #

I can tell you from personal experience as I was on an episode of American Pickers (episode Pinball Mania) that these shows are staged. I used to really enjoy watching that show...until actually being a part of an episode that they filmed at the TPF....now I can't stand to watch it after knowing how it's put together.

JWS64

Pinball addict
    1,090,300 2
    1 year, 11 months ago
    #

The pin in Les's office is a Bally Star Trek. It has the very rare prototype back glass
    in it. I watched the show a lot in the past, before they were blurring out the back glass.

They had the pin for sale one time on their website, price was $1500

1 year, 11 months ago
    #
    hassellcastle said:

I can tell you from personal experience as I was on an episode of American Pickers (episode Pinball Mania) that these shows are staged. I used to really enjoy watching that show...until actually being a part of an episode that they filmed at the TPF....now I can't stand to watch it after knowing how it's put together.

Attachments americanpickers1.jpg (193.8 KB, 0 downloads) 56 minutes old

I remember that episode and I thought your advice was spot on. What can you tell us about the process and how it made you feel?

1 year, 11 months ago
    #

I agree with pinballhelp. hassellcastle, how was it staged? I'm not doubting you in any way, I'm just really curious as to how they stage those things.

1 year, 11 months ago
    #

We'll they mentioned when I first meet them on the show how I spoke with Danielle. That was bull. I have never spoken a word to her. A producer for the show contacted me about the game and asked for my opinion on what it was worth. I gave them a rough ball park over the phone as to what it was worth without seeing it. Several phone calls back and forth later and they told me they were with American Pickers and wanted to see if I would be interested in appraising it on TV. To which I agreed.

They were really pushing me to say it was worth $500 on camera and although I didn't completely agree to it, I didn't disagree either. I really didn't get to see the game in person until Mike ripped the moving blanket off of it. Then I saw the game was a turd. Termite damage, cigarette burns, couldn't plug it in, power cord chewed up. Yes it looked like it just came out of a barn. I told them $200 and crushed their dreams...ha ha.

As for shooting the set and it being staged. The whole crew for the show, showed up about 30 minutes before Mike and Frank showed up. The crew came in several vehicles including the Antique Aparatus Van...but neither Mike or Frank were driving it. As a matter of fact, the Hockey game arrived in the back of a Uhaul truck.

Once the crew got to the TPF they looked around the hall for where they wanted to do their shoot and decided on an area on the ballroom. Two stage hands from the show brought the game into the TPF (still covered with moving blanket) and set it down about 15 feet from where we were doing the shoot.

Being fashionably late, Mike and Frank arrive by car. They small talk with us as the crew mic's us up. Immediately it was apparent, Mike is a really nice guy and Frank is a pompus prick. Very arrogant and unwilling to small talk besides "yes" "no" answers.

They then tell me how they want to do the scene and ask me to stand back around the corner from where we are doing to do the shoot. I'm staged around the corner with a stage hand. The camera's start rolling and Mike and Frank lift the game up and carry it for the last 15' and put it where we do the scene. BS if you think they carried it from the outside in the Antique Aparatus truck and into the TPF ballroom.

I then walk over and we shot the scene. I was jaw dropped out how rough the game was and it was hard to talk up a turd. I then mentioned on camera how I had never scene the game before. Oh they liked to hear that "CUT" Ok let's do this again "tell us how you've never seen one of these before"'

We shot another scene that was cut out of the show. Prior to shooting the scene Mike was joking about how the game was already here and they didn't want to load the POS game back onto their truck and wanted to sell it. There were about 20 of us standing around watching the shoot and he offered it for $400 no one expressed interested, $300? still crickets churping. Finally he sold the game to my buddy Eric for $225. We then filmed a scene where I found someone interested in buying the Stanley Cup game at the Festival (ie: Eric). Eric was also filmed inspecting the game and giving his .02 on it's condition and him making a deal on film to buy it for $400. However this entire scene was scraped to the editing room floor.

Anyhow we finished the scene and Mike happily signed some promo pictures for all of us that were there. Frank was no where to be found. One of the producer ladies was looking for Frank so that he would also sign some stills for us and his response so rudely was "F*** U I'm playing pinball!" He begrudgingly came over and signed the pics and the whole crew packed up and headed out the back door.

I followed them outside (mind you this is after we have already done the entire scene inside the TPF ballroom). And the cameraman filmed a scene of Frank backing up the Antique Aparatus truck to the backdoor of the TPF and Mike waving him on to back the truck up to the door. If you see this episode they play this scene first...like it's them backing the truck up to the show about to unload the Stanley Cup game into the ballroom.

anyhow that's pretty much how it went down.

1 year, 11 months ago
    #

Has anyone here actually been in the Hardcore Pawn store in Detroit, also home of RoboCop?

1 year, 11 months ago
    #

great story hassell! It turns out I actually saw that episode. I hate those 2 guys on that show, personally. the way mike talks, so enthusiastically about EVERYTHING annoys the hell out of me. My girlfriend loves that show so unfortunately I've seen my share.

1 year, 11 months ago
    #
    hassellcastle said:

now I can't stand to watch it after knowing how it's put together.

I worked for an NBC affiliate station in the early 70's...ran camera, worked in the tape room, directed news & locally produced shows.

Yes, pretty much everything is staged, and the "talent" thinks way more of themselves than is warranted.

It took years before I could watch a movie or TV show, without deconstructing the production of it in my mind.

What is really a joke, is the title reality TV...it's far from being "reality"...it's so heavily scripted. The producers of these products are laughing all the way to the bank.

Robert

1 year, 11 months ago
    #
    MrSanRamon said:

What is really a joke, is the title reality TV...it's far from being "reality"...it's so heavily scripted. The producers of these products are laughing all the way to the bank.
    Robert

Well today's "reality TV" is a decendant of shows that started off way more "real."
    Also, clumping a bunch of different kinds of shows as "reality TV" is kind of annoying."
    But that's the way it goes...it's the same level of annoyance when I hear people say "flat screen TV."

Wanna join the discussion? Sign up for a Pinside account, or sign in if you already have one.

© 2001-2014 Pinside.com All rights reserved. Jump to topRSS feedsHelpContactCookiesDesigned by Keeple