11 years ago

Topic Stats

• 5 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by rplante
  • Topic is favorited by 10 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

CompSideWiresSolderedConvert.jpg
    Best_TrackSidePicConvert.jpg
    #1 11 years ago

I have a bunch of System 1 PS that I am getting around to repair. One big pain with this PS is the +5VDC pass transistor. It uses the frame of the PS as a heatsink and it's leads protrude through the frame heatsink to the PCB Pads. It becomes a pain to unsolder, fix the PS and then resolder the pass transistor to the PCB. If the PS is still not working correctly, you have to desolder the pass transistor again and go through the whole process again.

What I did was the following.
    First I drilled out the pass transistor's emitter and base Pads and a hole for the emitter wire.
    Solder a wire to the emitter track area and a wire to the base track.

Best_TrackSidePicConvert.jpgBest_TrackSidePicConvert.jpg

Then attach the PCB back onto the PS frame/ Insert the pass transistor through the frame and into the PCB. Next solder the emitter wire to the transistor emitter lead, then the base wire to the base lead.

CompSideWiresSolderedConvert.jpgCompSideWiresSolderedConvert.jpg

Now you can more easily take the PS PCB apart from the pass transistor than the stock PS.
    I know some folks will put the pass transistor on a separate heatsink. But then you have the heatsink hanging off the PS and needing to be mounted in the Head. But I use this method as everything stays self contained on the PS frame.

I also change all electrolytic and tantalum caps on the PCB, not just a couple as per Clay's guide. It's cheap enough and if your in there it's easy just to replace them all and not have to worry about any more.

#2 11 years ago

Wow...I have to take notes from your post (on format Stright to the point...very well edited photo included...I will learn from this post!

#3 11 years ago

awesome information. Especially as i am attempting my rebuild in the upcoming weeks

Thank you

#4 11 years ago

Bump as I posted it late last night. Hopefully folks can benefit.

#5 11 years ago

They are a pain to separate aren't they.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-system-1-power-supply-mod and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.