• No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

aw.jpg
2_Signs-point-to-yes-.jpg
#1 12 years ago

Well, after just a couple months, I made the decision to trade in Monopoly for an Avatar. It's another 'compromise' that I hope I'll be happy with. Yeah, a LOTR is still my 'holy grail' machine, but the wife has said absolutely not - she and my daughter think it's too 'creepy'.

...and here's where I'm sure I will catch some grief. I had the choice to trade Monopoly (plus some $$) for Iron Man, RBION, Adam's Family, Twilight Zone, White Water, Fish Tales or a couple others....but I chose Avatar. Am I crazy? My decision was heavily influenced by what my kids/wife would like. I was REALLY tempted to get the TZ, but it was routed and really showed some wear. It also wan't a title I thought the family would enjoy. ...I know - flame away. The AF was also in really rough shape. Does anyone hear own an Avatar? I've seen the rankings here and on IPDB - is Iron Man really that much better than Avatar? My kids are 6 and 10 - so I'm thinking the simplicity of the Avatar layout may be a good thing in this case...plus it does look and sound awesome. ...perhaps I'm trying to convince myself I've made a good decision while most signs seem to say otherwise...

Your thoughts??

#2 12 years ago

I personally don't like that game. But then again I hated the movie.. thought it was a complete rip off of Dances with Wolves but in outer space.
The back glass is sweet. And the armored suit is pretty neat. But I think IM is better.
The kids might like it since it is bright with neat lights.

#3 12 years ago

I think you made a decision that was based upon YOUR needs. I wouldn't put ALL of your faith in the "rankings". One of my favorite pins is ranked somewhere around #130 (why is it still so darned expensive then?)

I hope you tried it out to get a feel for it first. If you did, and still bought it, I would think you would be happy.

Congrats either way!

#4 12 years ago

I agree... sometimes you have to buy a machine that the wife and kids want. It pays greater dividends in the longer run. Plus it is still a new machine to play.

#5 12 years ago

Is there an Avatar and a Special Edition?
PS: Loved the movie! What's wrong with Dances With Wolves (excellent movie as well!) in Space?

#6 12 years ago

I like Avatar personally, and think monopoly kinda sucks. So it's a good trade IMO.

But ya IronMan, TAF, Whitewater, TZ, & Fishtales are all way better than Avatar.

But if you're buying for your family, then buy what everyone likes.

#7 12 years ago

Getting a game the family likes is always a good move. Have not played Avatar but I always take poor stern ratings with a grain of salt. Plus it's been noted many times that TZ isn't a favorite of casual players, if that's what your kids are.

#8 12 years ago

BTW what were your feelings on Monopoly? I've been thinking about trading for one.

#9 12 years ago
Quoted from Erik:

I've been thinking about trading for one.

I am interested in at least one, maybe 2 of your titles. If you sell instead of trade let me know!

I don't have a Monopoly pin, though.

#10 12 years ago

Shipping to the Congo would be a killer

#11 12 years ago

Another one here that has played Monopoly and hated it. I abandoned it after the first two balls. Never played Avatar but it has to be better!

#12 12 years ago

When I played Monopoly (admittedly briefly) it just struck me as typical Lawlor silliness. Curious if it holds up for home play. I hear it's tough to complete. Looks like a game that non-pinheads would enjoy.

#13 12 years ago

I think Avatar is a solid game. I really like the way it looks, and the gameplay is pretty decent. It's definitely better than Monopoly, and I kind of like Monopoly.

#14 12 years ago
Quoted from SunKing:

I had the choice to trade Monopoly (plus some $$) for Iron Man, RBION, Adam's Family, Twilight Zone, White Water, Fish Tales or a couple others....but I chose Avatar. Am I crazy?

Given those choices I would have to say your crazy. I do like IM more than Avatar as well. That said don't worry about the rankings go into playing each the pin with no preconceptions. All that is important is you enjoy Avatar. So I hope you and the family absolutely love it.

#15 12 years ago

While I enjoyed Monopoly overall, there were a few things that I didn't like. Most of all it was the railroad ramp that was almost right in the middle of the playfield - seemed to me like it was too close to the flippers and just got in the way. Monopoly is also very 'stop/start' and holds the ball often. I got it mainly because of the family friendly theme and (somewhat) deep rule set - but the kids never took to it.

Quoted from captainadam_21:

But I think IM is better.
The kids might like it since it is bright with neat lights.

Yeah, most reviews seem to indicate Iron Man is the preferred pin. One thing that I didn't like was the big Iron Monger toy right in the center of the playfied. I figured it would bug me like the railroad ramp did in Monopoly. ...and yeah, the looks of Avatar did play a part in my decision.

Quoted from The_Gorilla:

I hope you tried it out to get a feel for it first. If you did, and still bought it, I would think you would be happy.
Congrats either way!

Thanks! Oh yeah, I played 'em all. Avatar plays OK. It didn't blow me away, but seemed fun and simple enough for the kids to bang around on it without getting frustrated.

Quoted from captainadam_21:

I agree... sometimes you have to buy a machine that the wife and kids want. It pays greater dividends in the longer run. Plus it is still a new machine to play.

Bingo!

Quoted from Erik:

Getting a game the family likes is always a good move. Have not played Avatar but I always take poor stern ratings with a grain of salt. Plus it's been noted many times that TZ isn't a favorite of casual players

This is the only reason I didn't get the TZ. While I knew I'd LOVE playing it and getting deep in the rules - it wasn't something I thought the family would enjoy at all...and wondered if the daughter would think it was 'creepy' too. (Darn, why did I show her LOTR before just buying it?)

#16 12 years ago
Quoted from The_Dude_Abides:

Given those choices I would have to say your crazy. I do like IM more than Avatar as well. That said don't worry about the rankings go into playing each the pin with no preconceptions. All that is important is you enjoy Avatar. So I hope you and the family absolutely love it.

Yeah, I'm starting to second guess my decision. It would be so much easier if I wasn't trying to please the rest of the family as well as myself. Oh well, if nothing else, I'll hold onto it for a while, and trade it for a LOTR after I've convinced the family that it's wonderful and beautiful and not just creepy...I mean really, how bad can Gollum be?

#17 12 years ago

Not a fan of avatar. It just looked cheap when I played it on location, but if you like it who cares?

In the long run it will continue to decrease in value where some of the other machines are stable or rising, but no one can predict anything long term.

#18 12 years ago

Not a big fan of the movie, but I have to say I like avatar better than Monopoly and Iron Man, Congrats!

#19 12 years ago
Quoted from SunKing:

It would be so much easier if I wasn't trying to please the rest of the family as well as myself. Oh well, if nothing else, I'll hold onto it for a while, and trade it for a LOTR after I've convinced the family

Yea taking the families opinions into consideration makes things a bit tougher. Don't second guess the decision just based on the fact that I and some others are not big fans of Avatar. If you already made the move give it a fair shot and you may end up absolutely loving it. I know I love some pins that others don't care for and that is okay.

Quoted from GoBlue:

For that price, get a Tron NIB!!!

I did not know you were paying $4600 for the Avatar. Given that info I would have to agree NIB Tron would be the way to go cool look & sound with fast fun gamplay.

#20 12 years ago

Thanks for all the feedback guys - it's very much appreciated. The delivery (and take away) is scheduled for tomorrow, so I've got one more night to "Own it All!"...and then I'll report back on how Avitar is doing.

Quoted from dung:

In the long run it will continue to decrease in value where some of the other machines are stable or rising

This is one of the advantages of buying from an established dealer who will accept trade-backs. I purchased High Speed for $2,250 - kept it for about a year - and then got $2,000 for it when I traded it towards Monopoly. Same story with Monopoly - traded it back for only $200 less than what I bought it for. So if nothing else, I feel confident that I'll get most of my $$ back if/when I decide to trade Avatar for something else. Yeah, I know I'm paying a premium (got Avatar for $4,600) but I feel that the excellent customer service, warranty, in-home repair and abilty to trade back make it worth it for me. FYI - here's the place I'm talking about: http://www.joystixamusements.com/

Thanks again guys. It's great to have a place where I can discuss all this.

#21 12 years ago

Do not get the Avatar. TZ probably won't be a hit with the kids, but you will be better off with any of those other pins you listed. Avatar isn't that good of a pin and you will probably want to trade out of it after a month or so. For that price, get a Tron NIB!!!

#22 12 years ago

I would have traded Monopoly for any of those other titles. That constantly spinning flipper is something I can't stand.
I'm lucky, my wife really doesn't care what I get, she really loves the idea of a gameroom. She has only one demand, that I never get rid of MB(not a problem).

#23 12 years ago

My apologies for the long post, work is slow today.

Quoted from spfxted:

Is there an Avatar and a Special Edition?
PS: Loved the movie! What's wrong with Dances With Wolves (excellent movie as well!) in Space?

Yes, there is a Special Edition Avatar - 250 made. ...the toys move more, plus you get some chrome. For the price, no thanks. And yeah, Dances w/wolves is one of my favorite movies. Avatar doesn't rank as high, but it was amazing visually and pretty fun to watch.

Quoted from GoBlue:

Do not get the Avatar. TZ probably won't be a hit with the kids, but you will be better off with any of those other pins you listed. Avatar isn't that good of a pin and you will probably want to trade out of it after a month or so. For that price, get a Tron NIB!!!

Yeah, I could have gotten a Tron or Transformers as well - and I played 'em all. But I'm not a tournament level pinball player. So to me, the differences between most of the new stern games seem more cosmetic than anything else. Do you think the gameplay on Avatar is really that bad when compared to Tron? ...for those who really don't like it - what specifically don't you like (I'm not feeling defensive - just curious).

Quoted from gweempose:

I think Avatar is a solid game. I really like the way it looks, and the gameplay is pretty decent. It's definitely better than Monopoly, and I kind of like Monopoly.

Thanks.

Given those choices I would have to say your crazy.

I'll admit - the decision is not one I'm totally comfortable with. It's a clear case of theme and family considerations over-riding my pinball logic.

Quoted from tk375:

Not a big fan of the movie, but I have to say I like Avatar better than Monopoly and Iron Man, Congrats!

...Thanks...

I did not know you were paying $4600 for the Avatar. Given that info I would have to agree NIB Tron would be the way to go cool look & sound with fast fun gamplay.

...I'm not a huge fan of the Tron or Transformers theme. And the sounds influenced my decision as well - especially since that's what the rest of the family complains about the most. My daughter hated the Monopoly for that - some really repetitive and annoying sounds. The whistle, OMG.

Quoted from Honch:

That constantly spinning flipper is something I can't stand.

Oh yeah, and there was THAT as well.

#24 12 years ago
Quoted from SunKing:

Yeah, I could have gotten a Tron or Transformers as well - and I played 'em all. But I'm not a tournament level pinball player. So to me, the differences between most of the new stern games seem more cosmetic than anything else. Do you think the gameplay on Avatar is really that bad when compared to Tron? ...for those who really don't like it - what specifically don't you like (I'm not feeling defensive - just curious).

I think Tron is a lot better. For me, Tron has better shots, sounds and the spinning disk is a lot of fun. I think Tron would hold its value a lot better than Avatar too.

#25 12 years ago

2_Signs-point-to-yes-.jpg2_Signs-point-to-yes-.jpg

Quite frankly, I agree with the eight ball. I would never have made that trade, and if I did, I would have taken Whitewater in an instant. Whitewater has a great ruleset for you, but tons of crazy ramps that entertain kids and non-pinheads. The theme is friendly, the music evolves well as you play the game, and did I mention RAMPS! That would have been my pick if I was in your situation.

But you have your reasons, and your own preferences. You really shouldn't seek the opinions of others for consoling a purchase you don't feel confident on, because everyone has different tastes and more than likely most people won't agree with your choice.

Any pin is better than a pin that upsets the wife or kids. So, being kind enough to put them first when buying a machine is the best choice anyone here could have made, regardless of which pin you bought.

SunKing wins this year's good father and husband award.

aw.jpgaw.jpg

#26 12 years ago

i like avatar. there is one near me at a movie theatre and i play it as often as i can. you and the family should enjoy it.

#27 12 years ago

I liked Avatar. The pin that is. I think its important to keep the family happy and on the upside,you do get a fresh pin to play. Sounds like you really want LOTR. Show your daughter a picture of Nimblepins LOTR and watch as she is basked in the glory that only true awesomeness can bestow and if that doesnt change her opinion, well, just get it anyway.

#28 12 years ago

good change over, but the only Stern since Spidey I'd buy is Transformers

#29 12 years ago

Well, actually I amend that as I'm one of 12 that like Big Buck, but wouldn't pay much

#30 12 years ago

SunKing, I have both Avatar LE and IM. Believe it or not, I prefer Avatar although it is a pretty close call. Probably because the amp suit magnet is not as brutal as the iron monger. Maybe it is my skill level (or lack thereof!), but Avatar seems easier to "control" overall. Give it a chance--I think it will be a great choice for a family pin...!

#31 12 years ago
Quoted from HighProtein:

Well, actually I amend that as I'm one of 12 that like Big Buck

I am one of the 12 as well.

#32 12 years ago
Quoted from ryanleblanc:

Quite frankly, I agree with the eight ball. ...[edit]...SunKing wins this year's good father and husband award

LOL, thanks. I read this thread to the wife last night, and we all got a laugh. She says you guys are a VERY supportive group. I agree.

Quoted from Silverballer:

Show your daughter a picture of Nimblepins LOTR and watch as she is basked in the glory that only true awesomeness can bestow and if that doesnt change her opinion, well, just get it anyway.

Very good advice.

#33 12 years ago

WOOHOO! The Avatar for Monopoly trade happened this morning, and I've been playing almost ALL DAY. So far, I'm LOVING IT~! It's fast - and that magnet can really sling the ball. It's a great looking machine, and the family was impressed with the 3D backglass. I think the best thing for us is that the sounds are not irritating - they can actually be soothing at times. Our gameroom is almost in the center of the house, so when you're playing, the rest of the house can hear it. Also, our family really liked the Avatar movie, so that helps a lot too.

As for the game play - I've had a BLAST~! There's something about the open playfield, and fan layout that I really enjoy. The voice calls are awesome, and can be pretty funny at times. There's tons of audio clips from the movie, as well as some custom recorded stuff as well. I'm finding the rule set to be very deep, and have yet to figure it all out (but that's part of the fun for me). Bottom line - a half a dayinto it and I'm VERY happy with my choice.

I'll report back and let you know how it holds up over time.

#34 12 years ago

I kept my Avatar LE and traded my IM for Tron LE. Avatar is a good game.

#35 12 years ago
Quoted from SunKing:

LOL, thanks. I read this thread to the wife last night, and we all got a laugh. She says you guys are a VERY supportive group. I agree.

Glad I could be of your comedic services!

#36 12 years ago

I bought a NIB Avatar. Really liked it . . . for awhile . . . and then it sat unplayed for two or three months. I thought it was boring.

I started playing it again, and I eventually discovered . . . I REALLY LIKE IT!!! Now, my Twilight Zone, White Water, LOTR LE and others are sitting idle. Avatar is just a nice speedy game and it is killer to get the Final Wizard mode! I have it on Easy play and out of over 1,500 games, I have only made the Wizard mode twice! So, there's something there to 'play for' . . . .

Also, of all my pins, the kids and grandkids love it the most. They call the Amp Suit 'The Monster'.

Don't look back. Enjoy the new thrills until you get tired or get the money to buy another pin!!!

Mike

#37 12 years ago
Quoted from ryanleblanc:

Quite frankly, I agree with the eight ball.

hehe

Avatar is also a hard resell. All the others are solid well liked classics, TAF being of course makinds greatest accomplishment.

Enjoy it though, the choice is made. You'll have a swing at the others again sometime if you desire.

#38 12 years ago
Quoted from Pintucky:

Avatar is just a nice speedy game and it is killer to get the Final Wizard mode! I have it on Easy play and out of over 1,500 games, I have only made the Wizard mode twice! So, there's something there to 'play for' . . . .
Also, of all my pins, the kids and grandkids love it the most. They call the Amp Suit 'The Monster'.
Don't look back. Enjoy the new thrills until you get tired or get the money to buy another pin!!!
Mike

I'm still tweaking the settings. I set everyting on 'medium', and haven't hit the Wizard mode yet. I did adjust the outlane posts to the easiest as I thought it drained down the sides a bit too much. That helped, as my last two games were a couple of my best so far. It really is a fast game, and I'm still having a blast playing it - the wife just had to tear me away for Turkey Day.

Overall, for my situation and family, I think I made a good decision and I'm VERY, VERY happy. Now, I may have to get a few LEDs into it...

#39 12 years ago

Sunking . . . sounds just like my scene here!

Do put some LED's in it. I put them in the inserts running across the playfield, and I put blue ones in the 'names' that run up horizontally from the flippers. THOSE are awesome to see!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 1.25
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Machine - For Sale
San Diego, CA
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Machine - For Sale
Brooklyn, NY
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 40.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

4,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fishers, IN
$ 30.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

Machine - For Sale
Seaside, OR
$ 14.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 12.95
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
arcade-cabinets.com

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/goodbye-monopoly-hello-avatar and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.