• Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

• Gigi Gottlieb, 1963

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

gigi L 053.JPG
#1 10 years ago

I've got a Gottlieb's Gigi with a problem on the number switching, number one "sticks" on the yellow and number two doesn't always switch to the red.
Is there a way to adjust it mechanically?
Switches are cleaned and adjusted, the relays attempt to pull in but don't get the job done in about 3 times out of ten.
The game is frustrating enough when it's in good working condition, but with these two issues...

#2 9 years ago

This may be a long shot, but check the coil on the "P" Relay. It's the relay right behind the Total Play Meter. The P relay has just (1) "A" contact.

The correct coil for the P relay is a R-487 (R20-2).

I just got my first Pin, also a Gigi. I'm missing a relay so I was going over the schematic, trying to reverse engineer what I'm missing.

The P coil is in series with the 14 Interlock Relays (1Y-7Y, 1R-7R). Because P is in series with the other coils, it needs to have very low resistance. The R20-2 is just 2.0 ohms.

On my machine, the P coil is wrong. It's a R20-4 (15 ohms). I haven't powered up my machine, but I think I'd have similar problems. With the P coil being a R20-4 (instead of the correct R20-2), there will be less current flowing through the P coil and thus all the other Interlock Relay coils. This will mean the Interlock Relays may not have enough current to transition when the bumper's switches are activated.

This sounds like the type of problem you're having.

#3 9 years ago

I restored two Gigi's in the last year, and both took a lot of fidgeting with the seven bumper interlock relays under the playfield before the bumpers would switch properly. In my case, cleaning the relay plates really well with alcohol, then novus 2 (which seems to reduce friction on metal) made a huge difference. Still, I had a couple of bumpers that wouldn't "alternate" reliably. Adjusting the metal "tab" on the relay to limit the amount of overlap between the two plates fixed that problem. Before I posted this I play tested a game and scored a couple of advances - every bumper hit registered properly during the game. You're right, Gigi is tough enough to beat, but about impossible if the bumpers aren't registering hits properly. Great game, though!

gigi L 053.JPGgigi L 053.JPG
1 week later
#4 9 years ago

That’s one nasty looking pinny you boys own, hate 2” flippers.

http://www.ipdb.org/showpic.pl?id=1003&picno=23244

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet Parts
Space Coast Pinball

$ 12.00
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gigi-number-switching and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.